Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

dunno lah

Arcane
Wasting time trying to get Crusader No Remorse to run... DOSBox seems to crash at random either when selecting options or clicking on anything. Otherwise, I'm playing Manhunt. Fucking annoying that the enemies seem to have perfect timing when running and hitting you. The enemy taunts are the coolest part of the game so far.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Outlast--Holy fuck this game has some intense moments. Jump scares are the lowest form of horror, but "Outlast" probably does jump scares better than any game I've ever encountered. Plus, it's probably the darkest game I've ever played. And I mean "dark" literally as probably 85% of all levels are pitch black. Which means you can only view them via night vision camera which gives the whole game a creepy "Blair Witch/Paris Hilton Sex tape" vibe.

That said, it has its flaws. Chief among them being that it's very trial and error. Alot of the game consists of almost "Mirror's Edge" type sequences where you have to run from pursuers. More than a few times I found myself suddenly in a very intense sequence where I had to search for some component to proceed, only to die and have to restart. After the 5th time of doing this, all fear turns to straight up tedium and frustration as you fumble around in the dark searching for the right components, being killed repeatedly, until you finally stumble on them seemingly at random. Which completely deflates any tension the game had built up to that point. Plus, as with "Amnesia" (which was also very intense in its opening segments, but less so as it progressed), eventually you learn how to "game" the monsters and their mystique wears off, making things much less scary. But to its credit, "Outlast" has more than a few twists and tricks up its sleeve to keep things varied (the best being suddenly throwing you outside in one sequence, which is incredibly eerie and hard to navigate via night vision as you can only see a couple ghostly feet in front of you). Plus, it's shorter than Amnesia (only like 4 hours) so it doesn't wear out its welcome.

Anyhow, it's games like this which makes me fear/covet VR. Playing this in a VR helmet would be potentially traumatic, I think.

Man, I played a bit of this one Occulus Rift demo where they have you just walking about in these dark woods and such. Kept walking around until the game stopped me for a second, turned around and then BAM! the scary thing of the game got me to where I cussed in three languages :D

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Got Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Its central conceit of a story being told/exaggerated by an unreliable narrator is brilliant. Unfortunately, the game itself kind of sucks. I know people throw the word "popamole" around here to the point that it's meaningless, but COJ:G is quite literally a popamole game. It's like an old timey shooting gallery in that enemies pop out from behind rocks and you shoot them. There's not much to the gameplay apart from that. The storyline and central conceit really are quite good, I just wish they'd applied them to a better game with a bigger budget.

Erebus

Arcane
Just finished Heart of the Swarm. In general, the writing is bet... is more... is not as terrible as it was in Wings of Liberty. Except for the godawful romance between Kerrigan and Raynor, which manages to be much, much worse than anything the original game inflicted on us. Also, the scenario is kind of boring, since it's almost only about Kerrigan's vengeance against Mengsk (I read somewhere that Mengsk was a good villain in Starcraft 1, but he's simply too much of an incompetent buffoon in SC2 to be taken seriously).

As far as the actual game is concerned, HotS isn't bad. Many of its missions are kinda gimmicky (as was the case in WoL), but I'm fine with that. Some of them are really linear, which is more of a problem. Also, several missions are a bit too easy on "Hard".
I liked being given a choice between different evolutions for all units, it's a nice strategical choice (though it didn't always make much of a difference with the units I ended up using).

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
Wasting time trying to get Crusader No Remorse to run... DOSBox seems to crash at random either when selecting options or clicking on anything.

Get the GOG version.

I concur :P

(you also get support from us if you can't get the game running :D )

I am using the gog version.

Then please write to us about those issues and we'll see what we can do to get you running :)

spekkio

Arcane
Funny story.

I've decided to test XCOM - Enemy Unknown by demoing Reloaded release of XCOM - Enemy Within.
After downloading ~19 GB iso and installing the game, I've learned, that:
1) The game doesn't support Windows XP at all,
2) Reloaded cracks still don't work for me (since forever, I had similar problems with Dishonored - probably WinXP related as well).

After ~ 1h of googling and fiddling around with files, I was able to:
1) launch the game on XP - instructions here,
2) run the game by using a modified crack for a totally different game.

Suddenly I felt like in C64/Amiga times. "Just turn your Steambox on and play" my ass...

AcHgUHH.jpg

In before butthurt mods.

:rpgcodex:

Last edited:

Butcer

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I dont think ive ever seen a game where your weaker at level 1 then gothic 2 notr

Morrowind. Unarmed peasants will drain your low reserves of stamina with punches then kick you to death while you're unconscious.
any human in gothic 2 will pretty much rape you at level 1, that is gothic notr, i have not played gothic 2 vanilla without notr so i dont know how that is.

Murk

Arcane
Gothic 2 vanilla you can beat Sentenza when you first see him without power-gaming or anything weird; just typical weapon + armor. Humans are about as dangerous as in Risen 1. That is; they're better than you numerically but you can out-skill them easily.

NotR makes you beg for mercy. Some chumps like Moe or Alric are whatever, but they're meant to be easily beatable at low levels. People in armor proper will fug you up.

And fucking Bronco.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Finished Rogue Legacy after 21 hours. Solid and very fun game, though it gets a bit tedious near the end due to specific builds being very useful - when you just wanna go for the bosses, having to cycle through a bunch of heroes that don't fit the bill gets a little annoying. I could have done with a bit less grinding overall as well. Doubt I'll touch new game+ mode, but definitely one of the better "time sink" roguelite games this year.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron
I went back to playing Savant Ascent after they updated the game and wow, it's better now. Still, even with the improved controller support, it's a lot easier to play with the keyboard and mouse :)

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
AVERNUM 1 BROS IT IS LOTS OF FUN

LOVE THE OVERWORLD MAP THE INTERFACE IS A LITTLE WORSE THAN 4 AND 5 BUT I CAN DEAL

MisterStone

Arcane
Finally got around to Don't Starve (warning: being an adult means you don't have time to try out all the video games you want to try). A wonderful, creative game and kind of addictive, but I am starting to wonder if it's just a massive time waster that will never offer a feeling of accomplishment. Combat is also a pain in the ass, just mouseover a click-fest, and usually ends up with you being dead very soon. But I've just barely scratched the surface of this game so far. Maybe it will be a lot tougher once winter rolls around.

LundB

Mistakes were made.
Today I found out I've become quite out of practice in DMC4. Playing on Son of Sparda diff, where I used to get S/SS mission scores as a matter of course, now I'm lucky to get S, more often ending up with an A or sometimes even a B. Still a fun game, might try the new one at some point though I hear it's piss-easy (from a guy playing with a keyboard and mouse, shockingly).

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Finished Rogue Legacy after 21 hours. Solid and very fun game, though it gets a bit tedious near the end due to specific builds being very useful - when you just wanna go for the bosses, having to cycle through a bunch of heroes that don't fit the bill gets a little annoying. I could have done with a bit less grinding overall as well. Doubt I'll touch new game+ mode, but definitely one of the better "time sink" roguelite games this year.
What level did you end up at the end with ? Having a bit of trouble with it, maybe need to buy different upgrades. I'm around 25 and almost done with forest boss.

JudasIscariot

Arcane
Patron

WHat's the new class like? I recall that the latest patch added a new class and some new bosses :)

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
What level did you end up at the end with ? Having a bit of trouble with it, maybe need to buy different upgrades. I'm around 25 and almost done with forest boss.
Something like 130, but I admit I intentionally did some grinding and did not pay a lot of attention to my equipment loadout tactics/etc. and wasn't really trying too hard for "good" play.

WHat's the new class like? I recall that the latest patch added a new class and some new bosses :)
I actually don't know what the new class is because I think I started playing after the update. As for the bosses, they're basically remixed versions of the original ones, except they are absurdly difficult and you basically have to be perfect to beat them. They appear in the same spots as the old bosses do once you've beat them the first time around. Suffice to say, I did not come close to beating any of them - they seem intended for new game+.

EDIT: On further reading, you get the new class by beating all the remixed bosses.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Grabbed Expedition Conquistador, selected not-so-loyal crew and spend few hours in new world. Hope there will be some backstabbing opportunity.

And I found in my shelf Battle Realms with addon.
Wait... I could give it back to the owner after decade of borrowing, should I? Nah, he's now different man, not bother with games at all (actually, anything beyond work/homework etc.)...
Back to the game - I like the ideas like peasants training and their combination.
Always appreciate good games with small groups and armies (Myth etc).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Started playing Deus Ex 1 a few days ago. Running with a hacker, pistol wielder agent. It is so satisfying that everybody in the game says my name JC in the game. I'm so totally immersed! :smug:

Edit: Holy shit, the voice acting in this games is hilariously bad. So far didn't hear a decent performance. :D

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Tomb Raider. The game is... alright, but that whole ludonarrative dissonance thing is really bugging me even though I knew about it going in. There's so much arbitrary "gamey" crap in there that it's impossible to ignore or justify.
  • Walk down a path and spot a cave highlighted with obvious bright white paintings that are practically pointing an arrow at the entrance, and "ANCIENT SECRET TOMB FOUND" flashes on the HUD. Yeah, real goddamn secret.
  • Lara finds hidden "relics" all over the place which are mundane objects and serve as collectibles... but the environments are full of ancient gold statues and other valuable-looking things which don't qualify as relics for... nope, no reason at all.
  • Similarly, the entire world seems to be full of pointless collectibles. It's almost like the devs realized that they only had a 5 hour game so decided to fill the world with a bunch of hidden objects to hunt down... no matter how urgent the situation and how high the stakes, there's always time to go hunting for GPS caches! Protip: if you are going to make a game with a super-urgent time-critical story, maybe don't make a Metroidvania kind of game around it.
  • At one point Lara's wound sustained at the beginning of the game comes back to haunt her. She limps around and is clearly in pain, and can't even climb a ledge, which is cool... except the whole sequence lasts about 5 minutes, and is mostly comprised of her brutally murdering a bunch of cultists while sustaining incoming fire. The objective is to "find medical supplies" to fix her wound, but she gets shot in the face like 20 times along the way.
  • The story is a complete mess and is constantly infringed upon by arbitrary videogame crap of the worst order. The writer, Rhianna Pratchett, apparently loves the plot device "your princess is in another castle" because every single goddamn time in the game when Lara has an objective, she reaches it and the objective is invalidated or failed in some way. Yet, this also inexplicably causes the plot to advance every single time.
  • The characterization, meanwhile, is heavy-handed and basic. One does empathize with Lara to a degree, except that she has no character other than being a particularly beat up Mary Sue who learns to kick ass and take names, and everyone else in the game is such a stock stereotype they might as well be called The Geek, The Black Chick, The Asian Girl, The Wise Mentor, etc. The game takes itself super-seriously yet it falls prey to the most basic amateurish videogame storytelling tropes.
  • I was just barely able to take the game seriously for the first third or so... and then they introduce what I assume are ancient Japanese zombie demons, in this grim, gritty coming-of-age kind of story. Urrghghh. Like I said, dumb videogame crap. Yeah I know the older Tomb Raiders had supernatural elements, but this isn't sold well at all and is completely at odds with the more serious story.
  • Did I mention that this plot is bland, dumb and predictable as hell? Ancient evil cult devoted to the Sun Goddess on this ancient undiscovered island (which somehow has thousands of people and tons of supplies on it, but never mind that), ritual to see the Sun Goddess reborn by sacrificing a new woman in flames, and... oh, what's this, Lara's best female friend is kidnapped? I wonder what's gonna happen next.
The good news is that, complaints with the story/theme/tone/whatever aside, it plays pretty well for a popamole shooter/platformer (I especially like the dynamic cover system with no actual cover snapping), though it's extremely easy even on "hard" difficulty, there are tons of aborted game mechanics like the hunting stuff (which even has specially-devoted skills, but does absolutely nothing), and it has probably some of the most unnecessary and infuriating QTEs I have ever seen in a game since Resident Evil 4. One of the few games I've played in a while that seems to do everything wrong yet since it has good core mechanics and controls, it still remains fun.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom