Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

For what do people play Diablo (and such games)?

Why play diablo-style games?

• Grinding/looting

Votes: 102 48.1%
  • Simple but catchy gameplay

Votes: 127 59.9%
  • Interesting setting/design in particular games

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Other (specify) in your post

Votes: 23 10.8%

• Total voters
Worry not, Diablo 4 will have Kinect support.

DQiNKZ.gif

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
10 PRINT "click"
20 GOTO 10
This is how most games play. Your point?

You really should try Path of Exile if you haven't already, Xor. I believe it's the best game in the genre since D2 and even surpasses it in many regards. :thumbsup:
I did, I think my highest level character is level 30ish. I got frustrated with act 3, but I've been meaning to check it out again.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I don't play theses games any more. I just find them boring. I guess once in a while it's fun to sit back and play, like really dumb shooters, but mechanically the loot whoring and grinding does nothing for me, and usually the combat is just way too simple for my tastes - kite, kite, kite, mash potion button, kite, repeat. That's not to say they are bad games (I thought Torchlight II and Grim Dawn were great for what the were) but it is something I have long since moved on from.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I liked the fun, overpowered characters who could take on hordes of monsters and had different playing styles. I liked the loot, but did not enjoy the grinding, especially when trying to level up in order to meet the min level to use an item. What ruined D2 for me were the boss runs and high-level characters rushing new ones. Also, I got annoyed at how infrequently runes dropped.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I somewhat liked Diablo (never loved) because it was nice to see the rogue-like concept translated intro a graphical isometric world. I still believe rogue-like games like Nethack, Zangband, and TOME are superior due to the greater amount of contact, difficulty, and strategies involved. But still, it was nice to see such fun ideas succeed in a mainstream market. Unfortunately, the Diablo series suffers the more it falls away from its rogue-like roots.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, is it possible to install Diablo completely on HD without having the CD player spin everytime the game loads new graphics?
I used to admire Blizzard for their slick games, but I've always hated them for their player unfriendly policy.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Without a doubt... Multiplayer.

Not sure how anyone could play through the tedium alone, but when you add a partner it somehow becomes bearable. It's also the only genre (sans mmorpgs) that my Pokemon loving girlfriend enjoys on the computer.
Oh yeah, this is a good point, I completed Diablo 3, Torchlight 2 and now finishing The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing with my wife, and it's like making two good things - playing a game and paying attention to your woman:troll: Sheep are Safe and Wolves are Full.
Pretty sure that I won't be completing these games alone.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Median XL: Ultimatum for Diablo 2, with Glide Wrapper.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I simply cannot fanthom how people like these sorts of games; I finished the original Diablo and more than anything I felt relief over just getting it over with; the repetitive gameplay, dull trash monster combat and the mindless grinding was simply unbearable. I tried and finished Dungeon Siegue and I found that as mindless but a bit more engaging but dull nonetheless; I rather spam spells ins Wizardry 8 or grind mindless levels for xp while watching a football game rather than play these sorts of games. No offense but even after trying some of the best games of its type it feels so boring and repetitive...the very definition of wasting time

Revenant

So, is it possible to install Diablo completely on HD without having the CD player spin everytime the game loads new graphics?
I used to admire Blizzard for their slick games, but I've always hated them for their player unfriendly policy.
You could copy the *.mpq files from installation CDs to the game directory at all times in the past and the game would have read them instead spinning the CD-ROM drive, although you still had to have the "play" CD in your drive for DRM purposes. However, some later patch removed the CD check altogether, so now you can simply copy the game installation directory to a new computer and it just works.

EDIT: uh, I somehow read your question like it was about Diablo 2. Says a lot about which game I have wasted more hours on, hehe. Well, the above paragraph is about Diablo 2. The original Diablo still can't be played without the CD in the drive, unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johannes

Arcane
Good combat mechanics would be the reason I could see myself playing the genre

Not sure if any really qualify, have not tried PoE or such.

or alternatively just play for immershun crap, atmosphere, story, that kind of shit if well done. Like say Diablo 1.

You could copy the *.mpq files from installation CDs to the game directory at all times in the past and the game would have read them instead spinning the CD-ROM drive, although you still had to have the "play" CD in your drive for DRM purposes. However, some later patch removed the CD check altogether, so now you can simply copy the game installation directory to a new computer and it just works.

EDIT: uh, I somehow read your question like it was about Diablo 2. Says a lot about which game I have wasted more hours on, hehe. Well, the above paragraph is about Diablo 2. The original Diablo still can't be played without the CD in the drive, unfortunately.

Well as with any game really, that has this issue, make a cd image file of the cd and mount it, right?

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Well as with any game really, that has this issue, make a cd image file of the cd and mount it, right?

I had a feeling that could be a solution. Normally I don't mind having the CD in the drive to play a game, since I only play one game at a time (and the forst thing I don when (re)installing Windows is to disable Auto Play), but Diablo 1 was annoying with the noisy CD player and the occasionally choppy game play.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
I like killing hordes of monsters and watch them explode on screen it gives you the feel of power, MMO`s bore me because you have to take them one by one.

DraQ

Arcane
Diablo 1 is an atmospheric game, while the random elements in level layout, enemy composition, unique loot and even quests present in any given playthrough keep it fresh for many replays.
Additionally magical, let alone unique items are rare enough to keep player excited whenever something coloured drops, AND forces player to make do with what drops (including dealing withe enemies you don't have adequate resistance to) rather than preplanning their build around specific stuff, since persistency with no respawns means finite supply of loot and no repeated raids.
Same applies to spell tomes rather than ability picks.

Coincidentally ALL those elements have been gone since Diablo 2 which was already pretty boring MMOlite grindfest.

Athelas

Arcane
If I'm not mistaken, Diablo II also has regenerating mana while the first one doesn't.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Just make an ISO file and use it to emulate the CD. My ISO is the only thing that was left after my original Diablo 1 CD fell appart a few years ago.

BTW, Blizzard allowed full installation of Diablo 2, without having to deal with CD in the drive some time back - after patch 1.13 I think.

Last edited:

Revenant

Additionally magical, let alone unique items are rare enough to keep player excited whenever something coloured drops, AND forces player to make do with what drops (including dealing withe enemies you don't have adequate resistance to) rather than preplanning their build around specific stuff, since persistency with no respawns means finite supply of loot and no repeated raids.
No, you could get any magical item to spawn at vendors by repeatedly leaving and reentering the town through dungeon shortcuts.

DraQ

Arcane
No, you could get any magical item to spawn at vendors by repeatedly leaving and reentering the town through dungeon shortcuts.
I'll need to test it, but you still had finite amount of gold (unless you count dupe glitch as well).

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

http://realityripple.com/Software/Battle.net/No-CD_Loaders/Diablo/

Diablo still is the best h'n's game ever made. The classes, items, voice acting and a little crumbs of the story were a mixture of an ideal proportions. The sequel, slowly developed, giving a couple of screens per month builded hype. But after the release I was dissapointed. The huge maps, inconsistent episodes (Welcome to the jungle ? cat ladies? wtf!). The magic was gone. Although if you are a loot hoarder you will have a feast. Played a couple of characters and it just rests in the box.

WygadanyCygan

Novice
Hunting diablo clone in D2 Lod were best moments I had in any hack & slash multiplayer(easy way to get filthy rich) so loot it is. On the other hand I replayed diablo hellfire so many times solely for its atmosphere I lost count.

nordbird

Novice
No idea, but I'm mostly into RPGs for their dialogue, choices and storymaking. I've seen 5 year olds playing Diablo, give those 5 year olds Planescape and they won't know what to do since it's not a click-click-click game.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
http://realityripple.com/Software/Battle.net/No-CD_Loaders/Diablo/

Diablo still is the best h'n's game ever made. The classes, items, voice acting and a little crumbs of the story were a mixture of an ideal proportions. The sequel, slowly developed, giving a couple of screens per month builded hype. But after the release I was dissapointed. The huge maps, inconsistent episodes (Welcome to the jungle ? cat ladies? wtf!). The magic was gone. Although if you are a loot hoarder you will have a feast. Played a couple of characters and it just rests in the box.

Yeah, Diablo 1 had an awesome atmosphere (one of the best ever when it comes to video games), I'd definitely add music to the list of things you said (from the Tristram theme to the music in all of the 4 dungeon sections).

Diablo 2 was a treasure hunting sim that went full derp regarding the gothic setting of the original, it's a very different game in my mind despite the fact that so many people have the tendency to lump them together

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom