Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland The Wasteland 2 Beta Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's a difference of degree rather than of kind IMO

Lancehead

Liturgist
The assumption is that much like there are degrees of output, there are degrees of player input, such as spending a resource to get a better success or avoid a worse failure. That certainly changes how players play the game, so it's not a mere difference of degree.

hiver

Its neither.

There should not be any such single general, global systemic solution forced on everything. Different measures such as those should be applied as the situation demands or common sense dictates - depending on the setup of each situation and any further consequences a dev wants to affect by that situation, or a quest, mission, whatever.

There is no extreme binary solution.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, tbh dialogue should be interesting to read. mini games distract you from it, dialogue checks make you too aware of them if they are displayed, stealing away the relevance and attention you should be giving to the dialogue itself. This is why showing thresholds or rolls, or anything really, is stupid at its very core, it is a flawed concept that undermines dialogue to make room for rpg elements when they are not needed. And they are crutches for subpar dialogue to boot.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's not really about unpredictability, but it shouldn't be a binary "can I or can't I?" but should be "different grades of success and failure". Probability can be a means to achieving that.
When it comes to locked containers or doors or safes or toasters you either open them and get the things or you don't.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
It's not really about unpredictability, but it shouldn't be a binary "can I or can't I?" but should be "different grades of success and failure". Probability can be a means to achieving that.
When it comes to locked containers or doors or safes or toasters you either open them and get the things or you don't.
Because time and noise are two things that don't exist in cRPGs.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And with good reason too. When core gameplay is about killing things "oh no you might get attacked!" isn't much of a threat.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Nor will they ever be. If I'm opening up locked containers, chances are I've already slaughtered every living thing within sight so how much noise I make or how many abstracted minutes it takes is irrelevant.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
The issue here is that people are conflating unpredictability-generating mechanics and content-unlocking mechanics.

When you face a speech or skill check, it's usually not a question of "what unpredictable thing will happen here?" but rather a question of "can I or can't I do this?". That's not a question that needs a random factor in its answer.
That's not the important question though. Characters can always do something in an RPG.

The important question in an RPG is "should I or shouldn't I do this?". It makes you consider your character's abilities, the circumstances and possible outcomes, and that's a question that needs a random factor in its answer. Because while the circumstances are generally represented by static modifiers that makes the task easier or harder, they can be influenced by the player, but a random factor adds an aspect that is out of the player's control and makes you consider the risk and outcomes with more care. Shit might happen.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because while the circumstances are generally represented by static modifiers that makes the task easier or harder, they can be influenced by the player, but a random factor adds an aspect that is out of the player's control and makes you consider the risk and outcomes with more care. Shit might happen.

Yeah well, like I said, the CRPG genre as we know it today just isn't that full of shit. :smug:

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Nor will they ever be. If I'm opening up locked containers, chances are I've already slaughtered every living thing within sight so how much noise I make or how many abstracted minutes it takes is irrelevant.
It could be a situation where you don't want to kill things. Like the faction you're siding with.

It would be interesting if cRPGs included the equivalent of taking a 20 from 3E.

cutterjohn

Cipher
These MOTHERFUCKERS CAN SUCK MY FUCKING COCK!

Doing KS, then selling on Steam for beta access while we poor souls who LONG ago did KS are SHAFTED?! FUCK THESE TWATS!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It could be a situation where you don't want to kill things. Like the faction you're siding with.

It would be interesting if cRPGs included the equivalent of taking a 20 from 3E.
Sounds like a bad mechanic if it's only applicable to very-specific situations and just a hassle otherwise.

Plus if there's randomization there, just reload until you're silent/quick enough. Double pointless.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Doing KS, then selling on Steam for beta access while we poor souls who LONG ago did KS are SHAFTED?! FUCK THESE TWATS!
Either way, paying to be a beta tester of someone is to be shafted by definition.

cutterjohn

Cipher

Art thou upset, Brother?
Kinda, but *sssshhhh* TB *brutally* H* I really don't give a shit as I'd probably not play this beta much as I'd MUCH prefer just to play the finished game, but I do feel like others backstabbed by this ploy.

Apexeon

Arcane

Art thou upset, Brother?
Kinda, but *sssshhhh* TB *brutally* H* I really don't give a shit as I'd probably not play this beta much as I'd MUCH prefer just to play the finished game, but I do feel like others backstabbed by this ploy.

Nothing wrong with a desperate cash grab to fund tides of numenera, oh **** I mean WL2 cough cough I mean the trip to Rio with the Science team.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom