Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3 vs Ultima 9

Which one is worse?

• Ultima 9

Votes: 77 57.9%
  • Fallout 3

Votes: 56 42.1%

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember that a week or two after Ultima IX's release, one of the developers showed up on a forum and basically admitted that the game was shit. "But at least we made some impressive technology!"

I should go digging through Google Groups and the Internet Archive sometime and find some quotes from that period. (The only danger is that I might end up finding extremely embarrassing posts by high school me.)

hakuroshi

Augur
U9 was a bad and unplayable game which ended a great series.
F3 was a "good for what it is" game which did not end a great series because it has nothing in common with it.

uaciaut

Augur
Hey i enjoyed visiting nuked Washington.

Never played U9 so i can't vote on this though.

mondblut

Arcane
Fallout 3 is a mildly entertaining sandbox power fantasy with sex mods installed, as is everything Bethsoft did after Daggerfall.

Ultima 9 is shit.

likaq

Arcane
Speaking of fallout 3...

albumpicphp3ai2.jpg

Last edited:

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Here goes nothing.

I will not bother defending Fallout 3. As a matter of fact, quite a few here have done a decent job of it. Fallout 3 isn't horrendous to play. Fallout 3 did some things perfectly right. I liked the exploration, for instance. Some of the destinations available sure were insane or absurd. The concept of Megaton has been mentioned. Yes. But then, so what ? Most games rely on the suspension of disbelief and Fallout 3 wasn't as bad in this respect as Fallout 2 with New Reno and space aliens. A lot of it felt uninspired, the story was just some a bad compilation of Fallout 1&2 with a horrendous ending, but still, after all those years, I was glad to return to this universe. I enjoyed the soundtrack, the 50s atmosphere on the radio, and the gameplay. Yes. I like turn based better. But I knew I wasn't getting that back. So in the end, I enjoyed it for what it was.

Just because I lamented on the death of classic cRPGs at the time doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy the alternatives.

Ultima IX was a not so different issue.

I pretty much followed the development of the game online from the start. From the first isometric screenshots to the final release and the unveiling of the Bob White plot. I saw the Ed Del Castillo debacle, and I played the unpatched game on a Pentium 2-400 and a 8MB Voodoo2. Oh god, yes, the gameplay had absolutely nothing to do with Ultima and the story and dialog was horribly written.
Still, it had some good points. The graphics were gorgeous, the music was lovely and the atmosphere was pretty nice. It was one of the first games where you could explore a huge map without loading. There were some artificial barriers, but as you went, those disappeared and gave you access to more of that map. Ultima IX is a HUGE game, even if you just follow the storyline. If you want to explore everything, you can still find a lot of things too even though it's got nothing on Ultima 7.
Gameplay wise, while it was a huge departure from the Ultima series... Well... which Ultima, in fact, isn't a huge departure from the rest of the series (besides U4 & 5?). The game had left its rpg roots and has been compared a Tomb Raider clone back then. I strongly disagree : it was definitely trying to be Zelda OoT. The game is structured in the exact same fashion and features a lot of common gameplay elements.

And seriously, at doing that, it didn't that bad of a job. If I try to think about Zelda clones on the PC, not much comes to mind. And U9 did a pretty decent job at that. My eyes were bleeding each time any of the character did or say something, but eventually you come to accept that it's just different and that yes, you're not going to get that conclusion of the series that you were expecting (but isn't the whole Ultima series filled with plot holes ?).

So yeah, I liked U9. I had more pleasure with it than I had with many a modern game. I absolutely understand all the criticism it had, and would like to join you with it. But if I look back at it, was it a bad experience? Was it a torture to go through ? Did I bleed internally ? No, I pretty much had fun nonetheless.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
:hmmm:

So yeah, I liked Skyrim. I had more pleasure with it than I had with many a modern game. I absolutely understand all the criticism it had, and would like to join you with it. But if I look back at it, was it a bad experience? Was it a torture to go through ? Did I bleed internally ? No, I got raped but I pretty much had fun nonetheless.

Last edited:

Gurkog

Erudite
Project: Eternity
If I recall correctly, didn't Ultima 9 release as a launch title for the Voodoo3 video card? One of the guys in my dorm tried to play it on my pc back in the day, because I had the best vid card in the house (just a diamond TnT). It ran at upwards of 15 fps, and was boring enough that I never touched it after playing for 30 minutes.

At least Fallout 3 was a mediocre game.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So, strolling casually through this topic and reading what people write about F3, is Codex like a mirror reflection of mainstream game journalism? F3, 2008 - Bethesda crap, shit, rape, faggot; Fallout 3, 2014 - it was ok, good for what it is, great exploration, competent.

So, strolling casually through this topic and reading what people write about F3, is Codex like a mirror reflection of mainstream game journalism? F3, 2008 - Bethesda crap, shit, rape, faggot; Fallout 3, 2014 - it was ok, good for what it is, great exploration, competent.
Pretty sure there are like, 2-3 cunts saying that, yet 41 people actually voted it worse than, from what I gather, is a completely unplayable game. Meaning they'd rather play nothing than have played that game..so no, I don't think the codex is that at all.

MMXI

Arcane
Ultima 9, in addition to being complete ruination of the franchise, is also a broken, unfun, shoddily-made, rushed game outright. Even if it wasn't a slap in the face as far as lore and story go, it'd still be just bad. At least Fallout 3 can be enjoyable if you ignore the lore and story stuff. Seems like a no-brainer.
I thought you said you hadn't played a pre-Fallout RPG.

Not that you're wrong or anything.

oscar

Arcane
Fallout 3 is obviously a game for strictly atavistic free-thinking atheist individuals. It really pleases my liking of 50s-era clothing and music styles, because pagan-deity forbid that I listen to this modernistic Marxist pagan "swag-rap-hop" bullshit that all of today's youth listens to. It really helps me escape from my tortured existence as a free-thinking, because nobody likes us due to our supreme levels of intelligentsia. It requires me to use advanced mathematical calculations to reach maximum damage output to decimate my enemies. It requires me to relearn a dead culture's way of life, that of which is superior to the modern.

No. Pay more attention next time you casually stroll through a thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom