Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN2 had the best story in gaming this year...

Greatatlantic

Erudite
...says gamespot. It even beat out Oblivion and FFXII! Obsidian must be so proud!

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature ... tml?page=5

Both Oblivion and NWN2 were nominated for Best Voice Acting, but Dreamfall won.

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature ... tml?page=8

Also, Martin Septim is apparently one of the best new characters in gaming this year, but lost out to delta squad from Gears of War. I think Gamespot smoked pot to pick this one.

http://www.gamespot.com/special_feature ... ml?page=11

Anyways, Gamespot hasn't listed GotY nominees yet, this is just from its "special achievements" categories. Go to any of the links and they'll be a bar if you want to see what else they display, though I've found all the PC RPGs they had.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
HA! NWN2 OC's story is horrible, and is one fo the main tthings along with forced npcs that i disliked about it. If it wasn't for the 'story'; the OC would be in the 80s; not 70s.

FF12's story is 100% better. G3's story is at least logical, and at least your character isn't the Chosen One tm.

WittyName

Scholar
I honestly couldn't follow the story of NWN2 short of the evil bad guy is coming back to destroy everyone. There was just waaaaaaaaay too much story exposition at every turn that I had to click past it.

The_Pope

Scholar
Here's the abridged story: Ancient empire builds giant robot to kill bad guys. Empire collapses. Robot continues killing enemies of ancient empire.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I will say this about NWN2's story, I thought it did a good job connecting all the dots. For example, how does a peasant from a back water (literally) village become Knight Captain? Being in the right place at the right time to humiliate the kingdom's hated enemy. That and a couple hundred body count. That and it almost avoided the find 4/5 quest set up. You did have to visit those 5 statues of purification, and there was that quest where you had to visit the four gaurd posts. However, compared to the original where EVERY quest was just that, the change was much appreciated. Unfortunatley, it took them ACT I to get their act together when it came to pacing things out.

obediah

Erudite
NWN2 also won the award for 'best ass raping of D&D". Although it did a much worse job than NWN.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"compared to the original where EVERY quest was just that"

1. Don't fuckin' lie.

2. NWN2 had the collect x sword shards including the one up your ass.

There was nothing GOOD to appreciate about NWN2's story.

Moron.

WittyName

Scholar
Has anyone played the game picking all of the 'evil/asshole' dialog choices? If you still end up being a Knight and getting a keep after that it seems extremely forced. Then again, I guess it's so integral to the story they wouldn't let you deviate from it.

I liked the fact that you could join the watch or the thieves to get into the Blacklake district but how would you ever get in favor of of the Watch/City if you picked the thief path?

Seboss

Liturgist
Aren't the NPCs forced into the story as they are in Torment ?

EDIT: nvm, I did not know that in NWN2, some quests require a specific character to be in the party. Eww, that sucks.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
WittyName said:
I liked the fact that you could join the watch or the thieves to get into the Blacklake district but how would you ever get in favor of of the Watch/City if you picked the thief path?

I did play the Thieves path, but more as a chaotic neutral character then an evil one. Anyways, Black Garius will still try to set you up, I think becuase you are the Shard Bearer. Anyways, apparently the group of thieves you join is "lead" by a guy name Axle, who has "connections". Think Godfather. Even though he leads a criminal orginization, he still wants order and structure. When you are accussed of the Ember massacre, he calls in a favor from a corrupt knight who will take you as a squire. Some humorous dialogue comes out of it, actually. He tells you for his vigil he left and hooked up with some farmer's daughter.

Anyways, I think no matter how bad your past, Nasher hates Luskan more and will offer you knighthood for the beating of them.

Volourn said:
HA! NWN2 OC's story is horrible, and is one fo the main tthings along with forced npcs that i disliked about it. If it wasn't for the 'story'; the OC would be in the 80s; not 70s.

FF12's story is 100% better. G3's story is at least logical, and at least your character isn't the Chosen One tm.

Yes he is.

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
2. NWN2 had the collect x sword shards including the one up your ass.

There was nothing GOOD to appreciate about NWN2's story.

There is no quest about collecting those X shards, you only get one to collect the first shard, the few others you get will come on the way. In the end you don't even get pieces for the full sword.

There was quite a few good things about NWN2 story, unlike the first NWN, but I am sure you agree it was a crappy game to begin with. :)

Texas Red

Whiner
Gamespot is more corrupt than the politicians of African countries.

EDIT: But wait! How is it possible that an RPG for PC got more votes than a console game that has a horde of retardos following it? Or is it perhaps a general consensus that the story is teh suxage in Final Fantasy XIOSHFPAS?

EDIT 2: I cant believe how completely and utterly dumb that list is. Although I shouldnt probably be surprised due to the "community" on its forums.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Kris, sure there was. It was 'collect x shards'. Remember your daddy? That's right. He sends you to NW to visit Uncle. Why? Not to have tea, moi nboy. But, to collect the shards. Dumbass. NWN2's story hook was all about 'collect x'. Heck, you can't complete the main story until you collect the shards they allow you to. Dumbass.

"There was quite a few good things about NWN2 story, unlike the first NWN, but I am sure you agree it was a crappy game to begin with."

NWN2 OC has some good qualities about it. It's story is not one of them. NWN1 OC story may not be the 'best ever' either; but it's STORY was better than NWN2's.

Period.

elander_

Arbiter
"Aren't the NPCs forced into the story as they are in Torment ?"

Yes, NPCs are forced in torment also. As a game that is only focused in scenes with little logic for everything else NWN2 is not much different than PST, except thet in PST the story is very good and much more original. The choosen one with amnesia was done very well and the setting is very original.

"NWN1 OC story may not be the 'best ever' either; but it's STORY was better than NWN2's. "

The choosen one fighting the choosen ones who were being kept on ice until the day they would be awaken to dominate the world again. Brilliant!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Yes, NPCs are forced in torment also."

No. Except Morte for 1 second in the Morgue.

"the setting is very original."

No, it isn't. Any setting based on previously existing material CANNOT be original. Dumbass.

Gambler

Augur
Yes, NPCs are forced in torment also.
Not really. They can die. They can abandon you if you do something they don't like. Some of them won't even join you if you don't ask them.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
@The Walkin' Dude

The nominees and winners were picked by Gamespot staff, not readers. They are conducting a reader's poll/choice/thing, but winners of that won't be announced till January.

Thats why the smoked pot comment works so well.

elander_

Arbiter
"No. Except Morte for 1 second in the Morgue."

Maybe im mistaking PST with some other game but in the case of PST or NWN2 it's irrelevant if they are forced or not. PST would still be a great game and NWN2 would still be a mainstream game.

"No, it isn't. Any setting based on previously existing material CANNOT be original. Dumbass."

Moron. It's original in a computer game. Don't lie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom