Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[WIP] Nimian Legends - HTML5 RPG

Protopop

Literate
I'm working on an bite-sized RPG you can play in your web browser. The focus is on making it simple and accessible to people (thus creating it as a website so that many people can access it)

Most of the mechanic are in place. Now I'm focusing on balancing gameplay and items. For the second chapter i want to focus on story, a compelling simple story.

Feedback is appreciated - you can play it now:

http://nimianlegends.com

nimianlegendsscreen.jpg

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
clicking on question mark in brothel in starting town just says loading and nothing ever loads.

Protopop

Literate
Thanks Mastermind - that's a bug and i'm glad you pointed it out.

In the old version i had those 'rooms' you could go through and do things. When i realized the game was getting too big for me to finish I simplified it but I left that one in because I ws so sad to see those rooms go. But i left in the old question mark link which goes nowhere.

I'll make sure to fix it in the next update. thanks again and I'm glad you're trying it. BTW if you get stuck you can reload the page - it will save all your progress so you don't have to start again. Also on the bottom left under the SETTINGS icon there are cheats if you want them (although activating cheats will disable saving)

If you have any other feedback please let me know:)

V_K

Arcane
Wow, a boardgame-style RPG - just what I've been looking for. Surprisingly good too. I'm totally loving the setting and art direction.

Protopop

Literate
Wow, a boardgame-style RPG - just what I've been looking for. Surprisingly good too. I'm totally loving the setting and art direction.
I like your description. I researched a lot of board and card games and I see it s a hybrid card/boardgame where the map is the board + plus that dungeons and dragons rpg stuff i love:)

For the art direction I spent a few months figuring out the motifs and colors i was looking for. Ive always been atracted to green, verdant lush outdoor settings and Nimian legends reflects that. Plus the idea that these plants are CRACKING back to life through the stone, so i include this neutral blue gray and earthy rock color. When i was preparing all this i thought it might be a waste of time "what am i doing?" but it paid off and although it isnt completely cohesive i think it has a pretty unfied art direction - or its getting there:)

Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Did I get unluck or are most city events negative ? I mostly picked accidents to avoid, and seldom monsters to fight. I'd say the dialogues are a bit too verbose given the level of abstraction (I feel they detract a bit from the board game feeling. Something more concise might work better). I really like the pace of the game.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Looking good... * clicks the link *
"Touch to start"
* runs away *

Would prefer offline version. Also the facebook button disturbs me. But I'm probably not a representative sample of your target audience.

Protopop

Literate
Did I get unluck or are most city events negative ? I mostly picked accidents to avoid, and seldom monsters to fight. I'd say the dialogues are a bit too verbose given the level of abstraction (I feel they detract a bit from the board game feeling. Something more concise might work better). I really like the pace of the game.
I'm glad you mentioned that Galdred. I actually have it on my to do list to add more positive, encouraging events to the random draw, and to add more city events in general. Your feedback confirms that and is really helpful. For the text I will keep that in mind. My goal is as little text as possible since to be honest in Mass effect etc I usually power through the text options without reading it. I have in mind eventually some kind of icon based conversation system that would work in any language, and be more about emotion than actual items - and maybe leave the text to quest descriptions? I'll keep working on it:) Thanks very much for your feedback.

Protopop

Literate
Looking good... * clicks the link *
"Touch to start"
* runs away *

Would prefer offline version. Also the facebook button disturbs me. But I'm probably not a representative sample of your target audience.
Thanks Kaucukovnik - After i read your comment i decided to remove the facebook button in the next update. To be honest I prefer a clean screen without a lot of buttons. There's got to be a better way to integrate social options and I'll find it - thanks for helping me with my decision. A downloadable version is definitely possible - the simplest would be as a zip file, but i need to take into ccount updating the files and teh bandwidth. I've put the idea in my update list and will give it some real thought. Thanks for your feedback:) if there's anything specific that made you want to run away besides what you mentioned, please let me know. every bit of criticism will only help me make a better, more interesting world.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I don't think people who want an offline version will be unhappy with manual updating.

What are those red and green marks between combatants during a battle? I must have missed a help message or something, I guess.
And how does armor work? Only 1 piece at a time?
The option to recharge spells without the need to waste all remaining charges first would be nice. Full price, no discounts.
Sometimes it hangs (only bacground displayed) and I need to reload the page. But it always remembers all the progress up to the event that got unresponsive.

I like the presentation and I think the browser window and touchscreen-welcoming main page somewhat cheapen it. It's certainly far above all that garbage that rapes old, recognized titles - Dungeon Keeper, The Incredible Machine...
Well, maybe replace the glossy buttons for stone or something, but this is a personal crusade of mine. :) Death to glass buttons!

Protopop

Literate
I don't think people who want an offline version will be unhappy with manual updating.

What are those red and green marks between combatants during a battle? I must have missed a help message or something, I guess.
And how does armor work? Only 1 piece at a time?
The option to recharge spells without the need to waste all remaining charges first would be nice. Full price, no discounts.
Sometimes it hangs (only bacground displayed) and I need to reload the page. But it always remembers all the progress up to the event that got unresponsive.

I like the presentation and I think the browser window and touchscreen-welcoming main page somewhat cheapen it. It's certainly far above all that garbage that rapes old, recognized titles - Dungeon Keeper, The Incredible Machine...
Well, maybe replace the glossy buttons for stone or something, but this is a personal crusade of mine. :) Death to glass buttons!
Good point about manual updating. I'm going to leave it just as an online app for now. That way i can makes updates once and it will be refelcted everywhere (facebook, chrome store etc...)

The red/green marks are you Battle Round - it shows when the next available attack is for each of your characters. You didnt miss anything, i didnt put a tutorial:) But thanks to your comment I will figure one out so that people understand what it is.
Based on some other feedback, im working on a more standard 'equip your armor on a body image' type chart. yes, right now you can only wear one piece of armor for a location (ie one helmet, one shield) but you only get the error message at purchase. I think that people understand equiping armor onto a body and might want to buy more than one helmet for example and then swap the equipped item, instead of being stuck with only one item type in your inventory. actually, i just had a great idea - i think i'll replace my grid of squares inventory with a body and bag image so you can carry items in your bag AND equip them intuitively to the arms, etc.

Love the recharge spells idea. I will add it in. Or maybe a system where you could learn a spell for a fee or something. and then you could recharge the spells based on your class or level of ability. That would give you an incentive to increase your skills as a Seer.

The hang is a bug when it encounters an item that doesnt match the location tag - im looking to fix it shortly.

What did you mean by "I think the browser window and touchscreen-welcoming main page somewhat cheapen it."?

Stone buttons sound nice:)

This is why i love feedback like yours, it really makes me think. Thank you so much. If you'd like your name in my upcoming Hall of Honor where i thank people who are helping with the game, just let me know and what name you'd like me to use.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Well, once you start playing and maximize the page, it's pretty much a proper game. Many will get a wrong first impression and that can mean a lot. Almost didn't give it a try myself.
I think the best initial view would be the game map itself and the start/continue buttons. Nobody can just leave the page once they see the world...

And it is enjoyable to explore, I look forward to see more.

Protopop

Literate
Ive been working on a companion app for my webgame and it's almost ready for release. It's called Nimian Legends : BrightRidge and it's a 3d open world wilderness for iPhone.

There's the option of violence (you can hunt animals) but my focus is on exploration. There are rivers and waterfalls and lots of wilderness to explore. You can also unlock (or cheat) the power to transform into an eagle and see the world from a whole new perspective.

It's part of a long process to integrate my web game with 3d environments - kind of like Fables areas connected by a map. I've been working on a procedural way to develop more map content and am working on an upgrade to the map too.

If youre interested you can see a 60 second trailer here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutLRh4GSC4&feature=youtu.be

and heres a screenshot:
1795230_10152450070410266_8336063759649424121_o.jpg
1795230_10152450070410266_8336063759649424121_o.jpg
nlb.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom