Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fully full review of neverwinter nights 2

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No, it isn't. Don't bullshit.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Another thing - I haven't seen one single rogue stone throughout the whole game, but I have gotten 3-4 bejurils and 5-6 king's tears. Aren't rogue stones supposed to be more common?

I have gotten 3 blue diamonds so far. I would think they would be more common than any of those. They are also one of the handiest crafting stones, so it's pretty annoying.

As for crafting being necessary, well it probably is not NECESSARY, but you can only get +4 and +5 items by crafting, and the default magic items don't necessarily happen to be whatever you've specialized in....

Volourn

Pretty Princess
There are more than a few rogue stones. i found I eneded up with 5 -10 of the rarer stones. Don't forget some are sold in stores as well as found as loot.

"What's tougher, then?"

1. Psycho barbarian.

2. The 3 shadow amigos in the end dungeon.

Just to name a few.

btw, Tougher than x doesn't mean they were tough.

"but you can only get +4 and +5 items by crafting"

That's bullshit. Hell, there's a +7 set of full plate to be bought. Dumbass.

Volourn said:
1. Psycho barbarian.

Don't lie.

1. I fought him with Khelgar. Easy. Easy. Way too fuckin' easy. I clicked attack and watched as he was utterly decimated. Never even ran away when he frenzied, and still won with more than half my HP.

2. No they weren't. Get Construct + polymorphed Elanee to block the bridge against two of them, use Khelgar to keep knocking the other one over until Ammon completes the ritual. Rinse and repeat.

sabishii

Arbiter
No, don't restart. You don't want to go through Act 1 again, lol. You don't really need to powergame to beat this game.

BTW I think it is totally ridiculous he goes straight from level 15 fighter to level 15 monk.
Yeah, I WTFed too. Then again, if he was a 15 fighter/1 monk it wouldn't be too great either because the monk starts shining in the LATER levels. I'd chalk it up to all the stupid experience giveaway... if he were level 5 or even level 10 the multiclassing would've been better.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:
There are more than a few rogue stones. i found I eneded up with 5 -10 of the rarer stones. Don't forget some are sold in stores as well as found as loot.

"What's tougher, then?"

1. Psycho barbarian.

Just to name a few.

btw, Tougher than x doesn't mean they were tough.

"but you can only get +4 and +5 items by crafting"

That's bullshit. Hell, there's a +7 set of full plate to be bought. Dumbass.

Really? Where is that? Actually that is what I read in another place. I think I remeber some +5 armors, but no +5 weapons. What psycho barbarian? Lorne? I killed him in two blows. Not the ribcrusher guy, right? Still haven't found the three shadow amigos.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
sabishii said:
No, don't restart. You don't want to go through Act 1 again, lol. You don't really need to powergame to beat this game.

BTW I think it is totally ridiculous he goes straight from level 15 fighter to level 15 monk.
Yeah, I WTFed too. Then again, if he was a 15 fighter/1 monk it wouldn't be too great either because the monk starts shining in the LATER levels. I'd chalk it up to all the stupid experience giveaway... if he were level 5 or even level 10 the multiclassing would've been better.

Also, changing him throws out your only decent fighter available. I think that is why the damn dragon was so hard to beat - the construct was the only thing that could deal any real damage out.

I already restarted. Thankfully once you have done it before and can skip the bloated and pointless dialog the first act is very quick. and I am already working for the watch again.

Even though you don't need to powergame, powergaming is part of the fun for me - nonexploit powergaming. For this game, probably most of the fun.

Crichton

Prophet
Is there some secret to killing the dragon on the mountain? It seems immensely difficult, even with my uber buffed cleric. I can only get it down to like 90% of its hitpoints.

It's actually not tough at all once you have elemental immunity (fire) on everyone, that and 7-8 spells of "Heal" will get you through provided you have anyone who can fight. I used my half orc druid PC, the druid, the gith cleric, khelgar (monk) and someone else, I think casovir the fighter. I hate buffing spells, so all I used was the elemental thing, worked fine.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Crichton said:
Is there some secret to killing the dragon on the mountain? It seems immensely difficult, even with my uber buffed cleric. I can only get it down to like 90% of its hitpoints.

It's actually not tough at all once you have elemental immunity (fire) on everyone, that and 7-8 spells of "Heal" will get you through provided you have anyone who can fight. I used my half orc druid PC, the druid, the gith cleric, khelgar (monk) and someone else, I think casovir the fighter. I hate buffing spells, so all I used was the elemental thing, worked fine.

Hmm, that is about my party, but I keep getting my ass kicked. I come very close, but can't quite take him down! I will probably do much better with a fighter/crazy berserkerman pc.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Really? Where is that? Actually that is what I read in another place."

Khelgar's clan's stronghold at the armoursmith. +7 full plate with some resistances (like fire). Only useable by dwarves, gnomes, and halflings though.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Volourn said:
"Really? Where is that? Actually that is what I read in another place."

Khelgar's clan's stronghold at the armoursmith. +7 full plate with some resistances (like fire). Only useable by dwarves, gnomes, and halflings though.

It seems strange that I missed that one.

Jim Kata said:
Crichton said:

Hmm, that is about my party, but I keep getting my ass kicked. I come very close, but can't quite take him down! I will probably do much better with a fighter/crazy berserkerman pc.

Eh, there's no real need to bother. It's optional, after all, and the loot is pointless; if you can complete that battle, you'll breeze through the rest of the game. Though you do get the "Dragonslayer" title-feat-thing, which is excellent for showing off to NPCs in Neverwinter and having your heart warmed by such awed replies as "I saw a githzerai yesterday".

The black dragons... I have to admit I cheesed those. Took my sorcerer out of range and Maximised IGMS'd each of them seperately.
That spell is hilariously overpowered against solo bosses.

Crichton

Prophet

Hmm, that is odd, blasting magic seemed to be a nice way of avoiding his AC (he's so big that you can even put it directly on it and not hit any of your own people), so Ice storm worked out well, call lightning was so-so (range was too short). Always have one healer in back and at least two people "on the line" so you can pull someone back for healing when needed. Storm avatar is nice. I think I used some other blasting magic like "hammer of the gods" because the gith cleric is so awful in melee before you give her weapon finese.

sabishii

Arbiter
Jim Kata said:
Also, changing him throws out your only decent fighter available. I think that is why the damn dragon was so hard to beat - the construct was the only thing that could deal any real damage out.
Actually I thought he was a pretty good fighter still. Give him some +monk damage items (gloves, I think?) and keep Flurry of Blows on, which gives him 1 or 2 extra attacks at his highest BAB without decreasing any of his AB. Maybe turn on Power Attack while you do that. Of course... if only Flurry of Blows and Power Attack would stay on...

Jim Kata

Arbiter
sabishii said:
Jim Kata said:
Actually I thought he was a pretty good fighter still. Give him some +monk damage items (gloves, I think?) and keep Flurry of Blows on, which gives him 1 or 2 extra attacks at his highest BAB without decreasing any of his AB. Maybe turn on Power Attack while you do that. Of course... if only Flurry of Blows and Power Attack would stay on...

That last bit is the problem. Oh, he is a great fighter against humans, as is the rogue, but against big scary dragons and such (ie the things that are actually hard) he kinda sucks, and definitely sucks compared to how he would be as a fighter.

WittyName

Scholar
Yep. I can't remember exactly the sequence of dialog I did but I had first stumbled across the dragon and agreed to kill the giants. When I finally got to the Giant King he offered the belt in exchange for killing the dragon. I accepted and then the dragon comes in and they'll attack him. Not sure how much damage they do but at the very least they absorb the dragon's attacks.

After you kill the dragon you have the option of attacking the giants.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
WittyName said:
Yep. I can't remember exactly the sequence of dialog I did but I had first stumbled across the dragon and agreed to kill the giants. When I finally got to the Giant King he offered the belt in exchange for killing the dragon. I accepted and then the dragon comes in and they'll attack him. Not sure how much damage they do but at the very least they absorb the dragon's attacks.

After you kill the dragon you have the option of attacking the giants.

Thanks. that's what I would have done, if I'd relized it were possible.

suibhne

Erudite
Yeah, I did the same: promised each to take care of the other, then let them fight it out once the dragon arrived. The giants took off half the dragon's health before being wiped out, leaving me a much easier battle. The downside to this is that you can't force-attack, so you have to choose (through dialogue) which side to attack (or both), which is clumsy and silly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom