Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls II Megathread™

Murk

Arcane
Reddit post posits that there is a way to bring back enemies after 15 respawns.

Copy/paste from: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1wvrdr/dark_souls_2_info_overload/

This is the info we all recently learned put into one thread solely about the info.

MAJOR MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILERS BELOW

You can buff left handed weapons

You can respec skills

There is some form of covenant like the dragon covenant that allows you to transform into something.

There is a weapon called a "ladle" it's a spoon, like, literally just a spoon

There is no male/female only armor

There is a way to change your characters gender

There is a way to make your enemies respawn again after killing them 15 times

Wrath of the Gods confirmed - 1 cast only

Stat based weapon buffs confirmed

No Penetrating Sword 2.0

No Bed of Chaos style gimmick boss

Armor sets can give you certain bonuses, such as item discovery

1v1 covenant called the "Company of Champions"

"Fans of Great swords and Pickaxes will be very happy"

"Fans of the Ninja Flip Ring will not be so happy"

Agility and Resistance combined into one stat called "Adaptability"

Adaptability and Endurance increase your natural poise as you level them

There are more "utility" spells like Chameleon or Hidden Body

There is a Necromancer type spell that "makes use of dead bodies"

Rings have weight

You can warp to EVERY bonfire you light in the game

Boss souls are not only used for weapons

The gesture "Well what is it" is making a return

One of the weapon types known as "Twin blades" are quality scaling weapons

You can play left-handed (Sword in left-hand shield in right-hand)

Parrying while two-handing a weapon confirmed

Amazing chests ahead confirmed

Discuss what you think about these changes below

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Reddit post posits that there is a way to bring back enemies after 15 respawns.

Copy/paste from: http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/1wvrdr/dark_souls_2_info_overload/

This is the info we all recently learned put into one thread solely about the info.

MAJOR MAJOR GAMEPLAY SPOILERS BELOW

You can respec skills

There is a way to make your enemies respawn again after killing them 15 times

No Penetrating Sword 2.0

"Fans of the Ninja Flip Ring will not be so happy"

Agility and Resistance combined into one stat called "Adaptability"

Adaptability and Endurance increase your natural poise as you level them

Rings have weight

Boss souls are not only used for weapons

Let me touch on each point.

Think about this for a couple seconds: you can respc skills but respawns (and thus souls) are limited? The respawns are referring to rare/tough enemies and not your typical undead that gives 30 souls. FULL RETARDS detected.

Not sure why Penetrating Sword was brought up.

THANK GOD the flip ring got removed. Broke Dark Souls PvP and some PvE.

Very happy about the new stats. This will prevent you from having everything now: you can't be a high poise fast roller effectively anymore.

Rings having weight happened in Demon's Souls. FULL RETARDS detected.

Boss souls used for things other than weapons happened in Demon's Soul. FULL RETARDS detected.

Rest of the stuff is just re-balancing or new features that aren't exceptionally important.

Visperas

Augur
Think about this for a couple seconds: you can respc skills but respawns (and thus souls) are limited? The respawns are referring to rare/tough enemies and not your typical undead that gives 30 souls. FULL RETARDS detected.

I don't know why you say that. Afaik not all mobs are respawn limited. I can't be bothered to look for the quote right now but I think only mobs close to bonfires and/or those in the path from bonfire to boss. Also, why having back stuff from demon souls is retarded? I haven't played it (PC master race here) but I've heard it was a great game too. The rings for instance, it's like any other piece of equipment, why shouldn't it have weight?

DragoFireheart

I don't know why you say that. Afaik not all mobs are respawn limited. I can't be bothered to look for the quote right now but I think only mobs close to bonfires and/or those in the path from bonfire to boss. Also, why having back stuff from demon souls is retarded? I haven't played it (PC master race here) but I've heard it was a great game too. The rings for instance, it's like any other piece of equipment, why shouldn't it have weight?

No. What I meant was that the people pointing out stuff that existed in Demon's Souls as if it were new are FULL RETARD.

Murk

Arcane
Eh, it's confirmation or whatever. I'm a bit confused, or rather, I question the validity of these claims and where they come from but eh. More info > less info so even if sometimes redundant or just more "DeS did it" is better than nothing.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't understand what is the fuzz here about the non respawnable enemies, they have always have these like the crystal lizards or the various Black Knights
If the non respawning mobs are like the blowdart guys in Blighttown or the Black Phantoms scattered arround the beta they I say Yay!; I think the are trying to cut down on both the mindless item farming and leveling. By removing unique enemies from respawning, like the Reaper from the Shadowmen temple in Demon's Souls or the Red Eye Knight in front of the Mausoleum (which where quick and easy exploits for farming souls and thus levels) they will effectively "cap" the level advancement where you might grind a few levels but it would not be very profitable to stay there farming because of the higher leveling costs and thediminishing returns in farming an area beyond a certain level.
Alongside the new dying and more hollwing (thus reduced HP bar and more limited human effigies) this will help move along to new levels.
I was just talking with this with my mother; how the japanese don't "overhaul" like westernerns; they got it mostly right at the start and they just continue refining it

Murk

Arcane
I can go either way on (eventually) non-respawning enemies. Ultimately it won't matter as the only time I grind is for item farming in convenient areas (green shards, chunks, twinkling titanite; humanity). I think the only time I actually farmed souls was the first time I played and still didn't understand the whole "recognize pattern; act precisely" gameplay for bosses.

Kanedias

Savant

A rather misleading title, but Vaati made a new video about his experiences with the first parts of the game.

P.S.: I'm back! (though it should be obvious by now).
I was away on a trip.

praetor

Arcane

you have no evidence for that. actually, in one article one dude said that when he talked with someone from either bamco or from, he said all enemies are "limited spawn", in another only enemies near bonfires. lot's of confusion on that one, no hard evidence or direct word from devs

Not sure why Penetrating Sword was brought up.

DeS fanboys

THANK GOD the flip ring got removed. Broke Dark Souls PvP and some PvE.

finally you reveal your true colours:butthurt:

Very happy about the new stats. This will prevent you from having everything now: you can't be a high poise fast roller effectively anymore.

you're dumb or can't read. AGILITY AND RESISTANCE IN ONE STAT! let me simplify that for you: one stat to govern both roll speed/i-frames AND "natural poise" (and in the beta some armours scaled with resistance). full retard

Rings having weight happened in Demon's Souls. FULL RETARDS detected.

you sure? i don't remember this to be true and can't find evidence online. either way, why full retards? what does it matter that it happened in DeS? where are they claiming that it didn't happen before? are you mentally challenged?

Boss souls used for things other than weapons happened in Demon's Soul. FULL RETARDS detected.

again, why the full retards? are you seriously that dense? stop projecting

deuxhero

Arcane
I can go either way on (eventually) non-respawning enemies. Ultimately it won't matter as the only time I grind is for item farming in convenient areas (green shards, chunks, twinkling titanite; humanity). I think the only time I actually farmed souls was the first time I played and still didn't understand the whole "recognize pattern; act precisely" gameplay for bosses.

The problem I see is that, because you can lose souls, making souls semi-finite can get pretty annoying.

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

A rather misleading title, but Vaati made a new video about his experiences with the first parts of the game.

I was away on a trip.

It's obvious that he's a marketing plant. "I'm not gonna spoil this for you, I just wanna give you a taste. See you on the 10th or 14th"

Fuck him and his wanna-be dramatic, obviously scripted, shitty, voice.

It's amazing how his "impressions" didn't have a single negative thing to say.

13:12 "You're gonna get so much content from me, that I might as well be the only one in your subscription feed"

Wow, LOL! I hope this faux-humble shitbag gets hit by a drunk driver on DS2 release date, and the only injury he sustains is a traumatic brain injury that completely removes his ability to speak, see, and remember things.

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
a quote from Namco's "america community manager"

-With dual-wielding, there's a pretty decent reason you want more than the base requirements in str/dex for your weapons. I don't want to give away any specific mechanics yet, but I think it'll add an extra layer onto those decisions.
-With dual-wielding, dex affecting attack speed more, and less invulnerability frames in general in Dark Souls II I think it's safe to say the PvP meta will be slightly different.
-You can always play offline if you hate interacting with other players. There are more NPCs to summon for bosses etc. to help you with that if you are nervous about being invaded.
-The covenants will greatly shift the PvP scene. Where, when, and how it happens. There's specific covenants and places for people who only want to PvP as often as possible. I think the overall interaction between single and multi-player is fleshed out better in DS2.

so Dex affects attack speed... definitely going Dex on my first playthrough (perhaps with a splash of int/fth if there'll be some cool magics/pyro/hexes with low reqs)

EDIT: a bit more info from a wikia dude (most is old, bits are new. a bit is also in the comments below)

Last edited:

aris

Arcane

No. What I meant was that the people pointing out stuff that existed in Demon's Souls as if it were new are FULL RETARD.
They are talking about changes in respect to dark souls. Also, demon's souls, while similar, is a seperate franchise.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter

I was away on a trip.

It's obvious that he's a marketing plant. "I'm not gonna spoil this for you, I just wanna give you a taste. See you on the 10th or 14th"

13:12 "You're gonna get so much content from me, that I might as well be the only one in your subscription feed"

Wow, LOL! I hope this faux-humble shitbag gets hit by a drunk driver on DS2 release date, and the only injury he sustains is a traumatic brain injury that completely removes his ability to speak, see, and remember things.

:butthurt:

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected

I was away on a trip.

Yep. I really don't like sneaky marketing people who get paid to pretend to be impartial. At least ENB was open about being hired to work on the strategy guide for DS2, so I know to avoid his opinion on the game, and he speaks in a normal voice. Vaati is just a faggot cocksucker.

2 of the main reasons why I hate Vaati are because of his "show loyalty with your wallet" video, and the fact that half of his "lore" videos are fan fiction bullshit that he literally makes up in his mind: the most egregious example is the "lore" video he made for Demon's Soul's Stockpile Thomas, where he points to 2 dead bodies of grown, bald, men and says "This is his daughter and wife, look at how sad and deep this game is".

Last edited:

praetor

Arcane
2 of the main reasons why I hate Vaati are because of his "show loyalty with your wallet" video,

care to elaborate? i'm at work so i can't watch yt videos :)

and the fact that half of his "lore" videos are fan fiction bullshit that he literally makes up in his mind: the most egregious example is the "lore" video he made for Demon's Soul's Stockpile Thomas, where he points to 2 dead bodies of grown, bald, men and says "This is his daughter and wife, look at how sad and deep this game is".

literally every "lore" video (or post or whatever) i saw is "fan fiction". it's the nature of the lore/game, and that's the beauty of it. i've only seen his DaS2 videos (except the one you linked), and the "X things you didn't know about DaS" so i cannot comment on his "lore", but he seemed like an ok dude with a calm, soothing voice with a mildly weird accent. ENB's "bro!", "ya!" and similar retard-level english were much more irritating

Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
2 of the main reasons why I hate Vaati are because of his "show loyalty with your wallet" video,

Here's the video for when you come home from work. Like I said before, it's just him encouraging the Dark Souls fanbase to double dip because he's a dickless lowlife.

DragoFireheart

again, why the full retards? are you seriously that dense? stop projecting

Are you upset because I didn't continue the conversation in private chat?

:love:

you have no evidence for that. actually, in one article one dude said that when he talked with someone from either bamco or from, he said all enemies are "limited spawn", in another only enemies near bonfires. lot's of confusion on that one, no hard evidence or direct word from devs

Of course I have no evidence, but limited respawn for ALL enemies would make the game easier, not harder.

praetor

Arcane
Are you upset because I didn't continue the conversation in private chat?

:love:

nah, i don't particularly enjoy arguing with backpedallers. it's a futile endeavour.

EDIT:

Of course I have no evidence, but limited respawn for ALL enemies would make the game easier, not harder.

and that's why some people are worried (since it's unclear how the respawning works because of all the conflicting reports). it could be that only enemies very near bonfires and mini-bosses have limited respawns (the version i'm inclined to believe and the on i hope is true), or it could be that all have death counters but with different values. some say it's the former, others the latter

Last edited:

aris

Arcane

Here's the video for when you come home from work. Like I said before, it's just him encouraging the Dark Souls fanbase to double dip because he's a dickless lowlife.

I think it's more a case of extreme fanboyism than shrlling. A shill would try to be less enthusiastic in most of the cases.

There are some things it seems nobody touches upon that I hope they fix;
  1. Invisibles walls near terrain ledges that can cause you to fall off if you are not aware of them.
  2. Weapon clipping, in dark souls it was simply horribly inconsistent. Sometimes attacks went through walls, sometimes they don't. It's extremely frustrating when you have walked into the next room, thinking that you are safe, just to see you die from a spear that goes straight through the wall. On the flip side, because you are used to geting away with swinging attacks in corridors or near corners, sometimes your weapon stops dead in the track leaving you completely open. Generally, it's almost impossible to tell when it will go through and when it will not. Either weapons should always clip through walls, or they should never do it. Consistency in gameplay is important.

DragoFireheart

1. Weapon clipping, in dark souls it was simply horribly inconsistent. Sometimes attacks went through walls, sometimes they don't. It's extremely frustrating when you have walked into the next room, thinking that you are safe, just to see you die from a spear that goes straight through the wall. On the flip side, because you are used to geting away with swinging attacks in corridors or near corners, sometimes your weapon stops dead in the track leaving you completely open. Generally, it's almost impossible to tell when it will go through and when it will not. Either weapons should always clip through walls, or they should never do it. Consistency in gameplay is important.

Pretty sure this is another case of troll souls.

and that's why some people are worried (since it's unclear how the respawning works because of all the conflicting reports). it could be that only enemies very near bonfires and mini-bosses have limited respawns (the version i'm inclined to believe and the on i hope is true), or it could be that all have death counters but with different values. some say it's the former, others the latter

If all enemies stop re-spawning it would DRASTICALLY change the core game. They would have to not have rare item drops, low soul drops from dredglings makes no sense when you need 900 souls for level 2, respeccing can be broken, etc. The core gameplay of the souls games was to not punish you for dying as that was part of the learning process. Even with the reduced health in Demon's Souls Soul Form or lack of summoning help in Dark Souls Hollow Form, you didn't get punished for dying 15 times. You could still drop a summoning sign and regain your human form. There weren't any permanent negative outcomes for dying too much. Even with World Tenancy in Demon's Souls you could theoretically regain PWWT by helping people kill bosses or kill yourself to get PBWT. Souls lost from death could be regained through time and perseverance all the while getting better at the game.

To punish the player permanently in such an drastic way for dying too much goes against the spirit (har har) of the Souls games.

Last edited:

Kanedias

Savant
I think it's more a case of extreme fanboyism than shrlling. A shill would try to be less enthusiastic in most of the cases.

There are some things it seems nobody touches upon that I hope they fix;
  1. Invisibles walls near terrain ledges that can cause you to fall off if you are not aware of them.
  2. Weapon clipping, in dark souls it was simply horribly inconsistent. Sometimes attacks went through walls, sometimes they don't. It's extremely frustrating when you have walked into the next room, thinking that you are safe, just to see you die from a spear that goes straight through the wall. On the flip side, because you are used to geting away with swinging attacks in corridors or near corners, sometimes your weapon stops dead in the track leaving you completely open. Generally, it's almost impossible to tell when it will go through and when it will not. Either weapons should always clip through walls, or they should never do it. Consistency in gameplay is important.

The weapon clipping, while awful, was consistent.

Player Character + Phantoms (includes AI-controlled phantoms, player-controlled ones in coop or pvp, and you)

Weapons do not bounce off walls as long as you're not too close to said walls when you hit them. If you're closer than you should, the weapon will bounce off. With practice you start figuring out when you will able to swing and when you won't, as it's a specific distance.
Tip: Jumping attacks never bounce off walls and go through them cleanly, probably due to an oversight.

Enemies (every enemy that isn't a phantom or hollowed NPC)

Their weapons never bounce off and go through solid objects cleanly, every time. Especially annoying with long reach enemies like spear-wielding Silver Knights.
--------

I agree that it's fanboyism on Vaati's side, and not him being "hired" by Namco. The actual marketing ploy was just inviting the major Youtubers to play the first part of the game, as they knew they would generate content that hyped people and eased their doubts. I really, really doubt they "bought" their opinion in any way, and it isn't even necessary: the game is looking up to be (at least) fairly good, they're all quite passionate about the Souls series and were already excited for playing the game, so them being thankful over being invited erodes away any sort of minor negative comments they could make at least for a while.

It's not that bad, and while I won't take their opinions as gospel, I listen to the gameplay changes they mention and I like most of them, with a couple of exceptions. I'd rather do away with voice chat, but if it's just for coop and while wearing the specific ring, it won't damage the "loose connections with other players" theme as much as I thought. The supposedly limited enemy respawns is incredibly worrying, however, and it's something major, but a gut feeling tells me there's a bit of misinformation going around. I really doubt they're retarded enough to make normal enemies stop respawning at all after a certain number of kills.

--------

As for Vaati's videos, I enjoy several of them, and I don't usually have any problem with his lore videos, mostly because they have neat editing. I don't care too much for their actual content, though, because it's stuff that was figured out or theorized long ago, he just formats it. It's rather annoying hearing people act as if he somehow "discovered" everything himself.

For example, his "The Lore of Dark Souls 2" video (which already had a really...ambitious name) was posted in January, and most of the info there (if not all of it) was already posted in this thread (shameless self promotion, by the way :P). That thread is not nearly as organized as the video because it is older (from October, several months before Vaati's video), by that time I didn't even know if the game was a sequel or a prequel (many would swear to me that it was said that it would be a prequel) and we didn't even have much footage of the Network Test, only those leaked pastebins with the descriptions and dialogues. Vaati, 3 months later, just lists the information that was most likely to be true, and formats it into a well edited video. I don't mind, though, as he never claimed to have discovered anything.

--------

P.S.: The main reason I linked his video was because he mentions some more stuff about the estus flask, I don't know if it's 100% accurate but he says that reinforcing the estus gives you more charges, and that an action similar to kindling is what makes it heal more on a certain area. This change, if true, is really interesting...

Last edited:

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Why the hating on Vaati? He is not a PR guy and what he says and does is from the heart; his lore videos and playthroughs are some of the best of the comunity and funny how almost everybody who has played the new game is extemely happy with it...imagine that!

aris

Arcane
fanboy.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom