Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Bard's Tale / Wizardry nostalgia CRPG

Baxter

Novice
I have been working on my dungeon crawler/retro CRPG Elementium for about 4 years on and off. I halted my work on it for almost 2 years and decided to scrap it and start it back up again fresh.

My question is...would anyone be interested in this type of game at all? I don't plan on charging for it, mainly releasing it as a hobby project with the possibility of people donating if they enjoyed it. I plan on working on it full force, with a target date of about 15 months until release.

Here is a basic screen with some placeholder graphics, in the main starting point of the game, The Fallen Seer Inn.

Untitled.png

I also started a blog, that will follow the production/creation of the project. If you are interested, it's over at : http://www.elementiumgame.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

TigerKnee

Arcane
My question is...would anyone be interested in this type of game at all?
Are you really asking whether anyone would be interested in a game based off Bard's Tale/Wizardry on RPGCodex?

What do you take us for, Bioware Social?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I like your placeholder art.

I would like to play a game where all the art is the same style.

Baxter

Novice
What are you making it with?

I am programming it in DarkBasic Pro. I started with Blitz, which Basilisk Games used for the Eschalon series, but I found Darkbasic much more user friendly from a personal standpoint.

TheFilthyJack

Educated
I really miss those games like Eye of The Beholder or Menzoberranzan, will definately play this one when you release it.

Dorateen

Arcane
This looks wonderful, would pay for a cRPG like this.

I greatly enjoy managing a roster, but the 4 character adventuring party... is that a GUI limitation, or for balancing issues? Because of course 6 is the magic number for classic dungeon crawling. But either way, I will follow with much interest.

Good luck with this project, go show 'em how it's done!

Last edited:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
This looks very cool, I would definitely pay money for it. Did you post a video of Elementium a couple years ago on Youtube? It looks really familiar to me but maybe I'm thinking of something else. My biggest suggestion so far, until I see a little more, is that instead of having interface options being numbers, you could make them selectable with the mouse. The most tedious thing about older games like Wizardry and Bards Tale is the interface and having to hit keys to perform actions instead of clicking on them.

Have to agree with Dorateen, too. I usually like games that have larger party sizes, but it's not a deal breaker or anything!

Alchemist

Arcane
I actually like having the option to play the game entirely with a keyboard, as that works well on a laptop. But of course having a mouse option would be fine in addition.

And I'll put in another vote for a 6 character party, if it's technically feasible.

Anyway, keeping an eye on this for sure - the more blobbers the better!

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since you're doing what looks like a straightforward Wizardry/Bard's Tale clone, you should pay particular attention to what makes or breaks this kind of game - namely, dungeon design, puzzles, and possibly also optional sidequests and hidden stuff to discover.

These games are not simply about fighting endless enemy hordes - those are, first and foremost, an element of the resource attrition and dungeon exploration.

Or at least that's the main reason for my interest in this subgenre.

Baxter

Novice
Dorateen
Mainly the party size was a balancing issue, but I am contemplating adding a 5th or 6th slot as I get deeper into the design

cboyardee
Yes, that was me. That was my first real attempt at the game. I learned a lot since then, and to be honest, I needed a complete overhaul. And, I plan on adding mouse option as well later in development.

Crooked Bee
Absolutely. Definitely not just waves of enemies. Story is actually going to be very important for me. I am also really trying to make the game replayable by offering multiple solution to puzzles, non-linear gameworld, and a massive random item drop list. I am going to theme the dungeons, and they are going to be loaded with traps, puzzles, and riddles. There will be a hand placed items/events, and lots of random goodness as well.

Koschey

Arcane
Didn't you post a YouTube video about this game a few years back?

Yeah, I remembered those videos too and did some digging:

Rewatching right now and even if Baxter scrapped much of his previous progress, it's easily recognizable as the same project. I'm intrigued.

Seeing the similarities, how accurate are these videos still?

Baxter

Novice
I plan on using a lot of my original ideas, but a lot will change from the videos.

My old project was running in 640x480 resolution only. Character creation is changing a lot and graphics are going to be different etc.

Basically last time I jumped in without much planning or knowledge, and really programmed myself into a wall. I have a blueprint and structure now and know exactly where I want the game to go, so hopefully the new direction is headed into a better overall experience.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Since you're doing what looks like a straightforward Wizardry/Bard's Tale clone, you should pay particular attention to what makes or breaks this kind of game - namely, dungeon design, puzzles, and possibly also optional sidequests and hidden stuff to discover.

These games are not simply about fighting endless enemy hordes - those are, first and foremost, an element of the resource attrition and dungeon exploration.

Or at least that's the main reason for my interest in this subgenre.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I was pretty sure I remembered this game from those videos. I was looking forward to it then and I always wondered what happened to it. Glad to hear it has resurfaced.

Dorateen

Arcane
Good news about the bump to a 5 character party. Fatigue system sounds like it could be interesting. You might need to take into consideration during drawn out battles, a way to revive characters who drop down to zero fatigue. This could be via magic, or bard singing (if you're including that class as an option) or means of a potion/item. More resources to juggle!

Keep at it, Baxter. I think I miss this style of retro gaming most of all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom