Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Tribute

Arbiter
Am I the only one hoping that when we head back to find out what the Orthodox Sects we find out that Bai Jiutian is fed up with Nie's bullshit and has cut ties with him or something?

We keep getting hints that he might actually be a pretty decent guy, even if he and Jing can't stand each other.

No way man, I got the exact opposite impression of Bai Jiutian:

She runs off towards her followers, vanishing down the slope. You are prepared to intercept Bai Jiutian – by throwing yourself bodily at him if need be – but he makes no move to stop her. Seeing the look of mild surprise on your face, he shrugs. “Do you expect me to chase after the Holy Maiden? Yes, I suppose that is what duty asks of me.” He seems more relaxed and casual compared to your encounters with him during the tournament.

“Shirking your duty? Why, your master would be shocked if he knew his prized disciple was such a lazy ass,” you mock.

“No need for vulgarities here, Man Tiger Pig,” says Bai Jiutian calmly. “True, as an upstanding orthodox pugilist I should capture the evil fire witch and have her do penance for the crimes she has committed – that is what my master would want, but…”

“But?”

“Well, I do not need to explain myself to you of all people – I do believe we are not that close.” His smile is gracious and kind, but it feels false and bitter to you. “Now that I have seen what I came here to see, it is time for me to move on to the next item on my agenda.” With one fluid movement the Huashan swordsman draws his blade from its scabbard, its beauty complementing his own. “We have unfinished business from the tournament, don’t we?” Clenching your jaw, you take a stance. Does he plan to fight you here?
The Sword Saint snorts. “Side by side? Somehow, I managed to take the brunt of the fighting. That’s the last time I fight ‘side by side’ with Brother Nie. Well, you should not miss your master’s moment of glory. Better hop on back to his side.” Bai frowns, then his eyes widen. “It can’t be-“ With a frown, he sheathes his sword, mumbling inaudibly to himself. “I’ll be seeing you around, Man Tiger Pig,” he calls out over his shoulder, turning to leave.

The guy is amazing at putting on a mask for everyone. Deep down, I'm pretty sure that BJ is just a snake that is using the respect and prestige of an orthodox sect to get on a power trip. My impression is that he was surprised that Nie Wuxing got picked to be leader of the orthodox world because he was hoping that he'd get the crown instead. The man's public persona and the way that he acted towards us in private seems to imply that he has a dark side that he is very good at hiding.

I don't think that they've cut ties. If anything, they've just been consolidating and getting stronger. They may not have the sheer martial arts skill of Zhang Jue or the Sword Saint, but they've got numbers, clout and resources.
See, I'd assumed he was bitter because he was tired of doing questionable, often outright morally-wrong bullshit because he's been told it's the "proper", "righteous" thing to do, and the mask is that he has to play shining hero who's completely okay with (and not only that, is basically a walking example of) everything the Orthodox Sects stand for, even the bad shit. Interesting that we've come to opposite conclusions here.

Rex Feral

Prophet
I have finally understood.

Your immortality has been stripped. The wheels of reincarnation will take you. You and her both. You will never meet again.

I will find her.

I will tear the both of you apart.

Even so, I will find her.

Farewell, Chi You. May we never meet again.

Goodbye, Lady Nuwa.

You open the door of the hut, leaving your bloody handprints smeared over the wood. Taking a painful breath, you stumble inside, dragging your feet across the floor. You look down at her, placing a hand on her forehead and pressing your lips against hers softly.

She is gone.

Laughing to yourself, you sink into the chair by the bed, warm tears spilling down your cheeks. What did you expect?

Miracles are the work of Heaven, after all.

“Well,” you mutter, your eyelids growing tired, falling shut as your blood begins to pool on the floor underneath the chair. Your mind becomes cloudy. “I will just have to find you again…”

You close your eyes, and begin to dream a dream of future lives...

Bai Jiutan is our soul mate, the love of our life that the heavens have cursed us never to be with again.

Kipeci

Arcane
Quality, not quantity. And it's strange that you're forgoing that +1 harem option right here.

I really didn't see any sign that she was as terrible as you guys are making it out to be? Anyway, maxing out the harem would be a plus, but it's not one of my main goals. Treave said a long time ago that max harem ending would only be achievable with a great charisma and intelligence score, while Jing's is okay we haven't really done any work on either part since the very start and I just don't think it's going to happen by now. I would prefer to at least meet with Shun before deciding on whether or not to go ahead with his plan; Jing's pretty sure that Yunzi isn't expecting us, and while we'll need to visit again some time, heading over to the Fire Cult really doesn't seem to be too urgent. We'd almost certainly pull something retarded over there, too, if the track record for recent terrible voting is continued. At least in China we tended towards having Jing's act together.

Then we met the Sword Saint and got him to teach us the No-Effort Sword Song, but at that point it didn't matter before, because it was too late and Swords were RUINED FOREVER. Kipeci, I don't mean to pick on you or to create a fuss here, but why would most of us give a fuck about some Princess that we had just met and tie ourselves down while potentially missing out on Yunzi? C'mon, bro.

Remember when Yunzi was a princess that we'd just met who we immediately, creepily fixated on? This one at least seemed to have some interest in Jing. As for missing out on Yunzi, well, what was the option that would allow us to show our face freely around Tibet without inviting a military response and buckets of blood? We're going to have to be extremely discrete about going around Tibet in the future, while the other option had us as an important government figure who would do well to keep up contacts with the strong Fire Cult. But the Codex won't give up a single inch of freedom of action for any amount of influence or power, not even if treave outright confirmed that we'd still be adventuring around anyway and that we'd be able to still set out and kick around in China.

Okay, maybe we should have gone for the elope option, but I guess we also wanted to stick around so that the Tufan Kingdom wouldn't think that the Fire Cult had a hand in the Prince's death. And we also assumed that Pang Xiaohu and Xuxian wouldn't bolt either, which didn't turn out to be the case. :lol:

We really should have! Everything turned out worse. The little princess still marries that creep, Yunzi's back to the Fire Cult, and now the Tibetans really, really hate us for stealing their princess (why did we bother if we were just going to set her down two seconds later?) on top of the ax-kicking debacle. All of which was unnecessary, since even if we were going to not take the marriage option, we could have at least ensured that zhang wouldn't be marrying the little princess by either running off with her or by leaving her be (which would also have inspired less hatred) and getting zhang castrated.

Anabanana

Augur
I like how there are completely different interpretations of Bai Jiutian right now. Makes me want to figure him out even more, all this ambiguity is killing me. A all the way!

Tribute

Arbiter
Well all we really know about Bai Jiutian is "there is more to him than what we know of Bai Jiutian". Where these hints are actually leading is all speculation.

Esquilax

Arcane
Your immortality has been stripped. The wheels of reincarnation will take you. You and her both. You will never meet again.

I will find her.

I will tear the both of you apart.

Even so, I will find her.

Farewell, Chi You. May we never meet again.

Goodbye, Lady Nuwa.

You open the door of the hut, leaving your bloody handprints smeared over the wood. Taking a painful breath, you stumble inside, dragging your feet across the floor. You look down at her, placing a hand on her forehead and pressing your lips against hers softly.

She is gone.

Laughing to yourself, you sink into the chair by the bed, warm tears spilling down your cheeks. What did you expect?

Miracles are the work of Heaven, after all.

“Well,” you mutter, your eyelids growing tired, falling shut as your blood begins to pool on the floor underneath the chair. Your mind becomes cloudy. “I will just have to find you again…”

You close your eyes, and begin to dream a dream of future lives...

Y'know, this quote kinda puts things into perspective. To a certain extent, I think I'm putting Yunzi on the back-burner because I feel like we've tried "hard enough" already. However, maybe I'm giving up too quickly. Maybe we need a bit more resolve and find her again, despite fate's attempts to push Yunzi and Jing apart. Our immortal counterpart seems to be a fuck of a lot more persistent than we're being. I guess Shun can wait, we just need to override the will of Heaven to bring Jing and Yunzi together, and then we'll get right back to saving the Empire. It'll only take five minutes, bros.

Flopped my original post to B. I reserve the right to change my mind like a woman about a dozen times before the next update, though.

:troll:

Kipeci

Arcane
If fate is trying to keep the two of them apart, why would she be about the third or fourth named character Jing sees in the CYOA and why do they keep on running into each other all the time at places like the tournament and the house of ghosts? We meet up rather frequently for two people based in entirely different countries a great distance away from each other.

Let's hear what Shun has to say. If he's being melodramatic about whatever troubles he's facing then we can just go meet Yunzi again, can't we? We're making all sorts of terrible choices based on people's random guesses of what would make Yunzi love us moar with no other rhyme nor reason given, I think it's about time to go so that we can be a bit less :retarded:.

Rex Feral

Prophet
It will be so funny when we lead our pursuers to the Fire Temple and they get blamed for being in league with a dangerous murderer and kidnapper.

Baltika9

Arcane
If fate is trying to keep the two of them apart, why would she be about the third or fourth named character Jing sees in the CYOA and why do they keep on running into each other all the time at places like the tournament and the house of ghosts? We meet up rather frequently for two people based in entirely different countries a great distance away from each other.
Because Nuwa is a crazy, jealous and bipolar nutjob?

Akkudakku

Arbiter

Let's hear what Shun has to say. If he's being melodramatic about whatever troubles he's facing then we can just go meet Yunzi again, can't we? We're making all sorts of terrible choices based on people's random guesses of what would make Yunzi love us moar with no other rhyme nor reason given, I think it's about time to go so that we can be a bit less :retarded:.

But if we dont do anything about it we will just stay 2 people that keep runing into each other. There are only so many chances we are going to get.

Anabanana

Augur
Regardless, Yunzi can wait. We've already ran after her once AND looking for her was the first thing we did after leaving Maniac Island so I assume we are good on the Yunzi priority points for now.

Baltika9

Arcane
Regardless, Yunzi can wait. We've already ran after her once AND looking for her was the first thing we did after leaving Maniac Island so I assume we are good on the Yunzi priority points for now.
Shun can wait too. We came to Turfagistan primarily for Yunzi and Rob Halford. Get that done first, get Number Three, and then go be Sekkrit Agunt Jing.

Esquilax

Arcane

Prologue: We save Yunzi and her father, Khan Bulun from Chanfeng, and we are exiled from the palace for our efforts.
Tournament: We beat Yunzi, and upon approaching her to see if it's really her, we are cockblocked by Xsaora Vairya before we can talk to her.
Haunted Mansion: We steal a kiss from Yunzi (finally making progress!), and are cockblocked by Vahista.
Eight Sects vs Fire Cult Battle: We save Yunzi from being captured by the orthodox sects, but we have to part ways yet again so that she can lead the Fire Cult.
Tibet: We enter Yunzi's room, and just as we tell her to leave with us, we are cockblocked by Armaiti. Cockblocked by three different Amesha Spenta on three different occasions, this is truly remarkable.
Tibet, cont'd: Just as we're fighting in the tournament, everything goes to shit when the Prince takes an axe to the chest in a hilarious freak accident. Again we end up getting split from Yunzi.

From my perspective at least, it definitely feels like forces outside of our control bring Yunzi and Jing apart at the worst possible moment.

It's not meant to be a logical choice if we pick B, it's something done out of heart and emotion. Big difference between doing something out of love and doing something retarded.* I get the arguments for A, and they're very good, they're tempting as well. I won't be sorry if A wins, but considering the moves we've made so far, I definitely want to seek some closure on it.

* Actually based on past experience, maybe not.

Akkudakku

Arbiter
Prologue: We save Yunzi and her father, Khan Bulun from Chanfeng, and we are exiled from the palace for our efforts.
Tournament: We beat Yunzi, and upon approaching her to see if it's really her, we are cockblocked by Xsaora Vairya before we can talk to her.
Haunted Mansion: We steal a kiss from Yunzi (finally making progress!), and are cockblocked by Vahista.
Eight Sects vs Fire Cult Battle: We save Yunzi from being captured by the orthodox sects, but we have to part ways yet again so that she can lead the Fire Cult.
Tibet: We enter Yunzi's room, and just as we tell her to leave with us, we are cockblocked by Armaiti. Cockblocked by three different Amesha Spenta on three different occasions, this is truly remarkable.
Tibet, cont'd: Just as we're fighting in the tournament, everything goes to shit when the Prince takes an axe to the chest in a hilarious freak accident. Again we end up getting split from Yunzi.

From my perspective at least, it definitely feels like forces outside of our control bring Yunzi and Jing apart at the worst possible moment.

It's not meant to be a logical choice if we pick B, it's something done out of heart and emotion. Big difference between doing something out of love and doing something retarded.* I get the arguments for A, and they're very good, they're tempting as well. I won't be sorry if A wins, but considering the moves we've made so far, I definitely want to seek some closure on it.

* Actually based on past experience, maybe not.
Exactly this, not only is this a move made from emotion it is also in line with our unorthodox character.

Kipeci

Arcane

That's how many meetings for people who live most of the distance from one end of modern China to the other apart in a time where that meant there are political boundaries in the way as well as the natural ones being much harder to deal with? I didn't expect to see her until Jing was around twenty or so after the prologue was over. At most we'd have another brief time of meeting that eventually comes to an end, since we already know that there's no way the people here would vote to join the Fire Cult or anything that might take away our precious free time.

We've done way too much looking out for TRUE LOVE!! in this chapter and I'm sick of it. I just wish we'd actually devoted some of those efforts towards actually hooking up with Yunzi or else at least making sure that the younger princess was paired up with a guy who wasn't only slightly less shitty than a barrel of yak dung (but at least that barrel wouldn't go around trying to gangrape ladies in front of their beloved), but we didn't. Now we'd just be overstaying our welcome, especially since the Tibetan military will be trying to track us down and they actually have to stick around and deal with those sorts of consequences if we decide to stop over. Treave can keep dangling this in front of us to warp our decision making for another several years, there's no way he'd give up that carrot this early.

Baltika9

Arcane

We've done way too much looking out for TRUE LOVE!! in this chapter and I'm sick of it. I just wish we'd actually devoted some of those efforts towards actually hooking up with Yunzi
Dude. That's what B is about. Actually, tangibly hooking up with Yunzi by finally accepting her invitation and visiting her at the Cult. Rob Halford will want a rematch as well, now that we've shown him how much of a MAN we are.
or else at least making sure that the younger princess was paired up with a guy who wasn't only slightly less shitty than a barrel of yak dung (but at least that barrel wouldn't go around trying to gangrape ladies in front of their beloved), but we didn't.
Honest question: where does it say that Jinpa will be marrying zhang the Inferior?
Now we'd just be overstaying our welcome, especially since the Tibetan military will be trying to track us down and they actually have to stick around and deal with those sorts of consequences if we decide to stop over. Treave can keep dangling this in front of us to warp our decision making for another several years, there's no way he'd give up that carrot this early.
Yeah, I think that with The Emperor of China on their doorstep, they'll have bigger things than us to worry about. Shun will be our wing man, making sure the date with Yunzi goes uninterrupted.

ScubaV

Prophet
NO, JUST NO! In the words of Lambchop19: fuck you all for being giant faggots. We have blown off Yunzi at almost every opportunity in favor of chasing dick and yet miraculously have managed to keep her interested, but she will only be toyed with for so long. The time is now. We must finally put our homosexual urges behind and join Yunzi to the harem. Yes, Shun is a bro, but Jing is his own man now and Yunzi is his destiny. How can you reject her martial arts prowess, trolling skills, and physical beauty in favor of penis?

B

Tribute

Arbiter
The funny thing is, Shun would probably understand. He was there to see us propose to her, after all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom