Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Drakensang: The Dark Eye MODs

fastjack

Augur
While this is true, people who want to like Drakensang but find that despite their efforts they just can't enjoy the game enough to finish it shouldn't write off RoT with the assumption that the two games are identical. I just want folk to know that RoT trims down, polishes, and refines Drakensang into an (very imo) enjoyable game.

Hm, I began playing RoT and failed to see any differences with TDE. Same game with different locations.

That is because the engine is the same and the combat still sucks. It has nice quests though with more structure than just fed-ex stuff, better writing, a scope similar to a pnp game, locations that change over time (much more than DA2 which should have had much more), some C-and-C, is NOT padded with trash nearly to the extent Drakensang is (if at all), and is generally well put together. I think the scope and lack of trash greatly benefit it over its predecessor since you have less time to get to hate the combat engine. I think it is similar to Fallout wherein the game seems small on paper but is a great length to actually play. I really enjoyed the way things rearranged whenever you advanced the story, as you can imagine it adds to the illusion and such (immershun). Also you got to dress up your boat which served as your 'base' with trophies from side quests which was a nice touch.

Sabba

Novice
I finally managed to finish the game. I clocked 95 hrs into it (actually, about 80 of actual gameplay considering also that I restarted the game with a different character after chapter 2). I really like the game up to the point i need to visit the dwarves' kingdom (last two chapters).

After that, it's just mediocre sidequests and a lot of HARD filler combat (but it's step difficultly probably also has to do with me, still having to learn a lot about The Dark Eye ruleset). The main story turns out to be the usual EPIC nonsense, so I really had to push me to finish this game; a shame because I really enjoyed the first half.

I'm still wandering what is the best party. A tank only team is not going to progress past the first half of the game; on the other side, pure casters and archers get pounded real easily. So, in the end, my party evolved into half shock troops/half jack of all trades plus an essential summon which was just a cannon fodder. Filler combat was really the worst part near the end of the game because, in addition to being highly repetitive, it was also quite brutal: I couldn't let my guard down for a moment or leave the battle progress on autopilot without having the party wiped out in no time. While I don't dislike a good challenge, having to face the same wave of 5-6 Gromm undeads for the 100th time feels really depressing after a while.

A shorter game, with less filler combat and generic dungeons would have been probably better; I'm looking forward to try the River of Time, since everybody here seems to think it's a solid improvement over this game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Best party imo is healing mage MC + Forgrimm + Rhulana + Gladys (+ Gwendala with mod)

You get those 3/4 party members early so you can customize them to the fullest.

Mage MC gets uber armour for free and combined with Fastness of body spell is practically immune to physical damage. Healing mage also starts with good Nature skills for free + AE regeneration.

All fighters trained in two-handed weapons (for strike of wrath) and crossbow/bow (for master marksman) drop enemies very quickly (especially grolms and lizardmen at the end).

Gladys pickpockets everyone and opens locks, occasionally uses social skills and for battle trained in Throwing weapons (Rain of iron) and Fencing weapons (for Mortal blow + she gets best rapier in the game very early) + backup mage.

Gwendala just there for an extra character to spam Master marksman and cast Ice-cold warrior to end battles quicker.

Also at the end if you have troubles have everyone drink Power of Potion/Dragon draught which is "I WIN" button.

Sabba

Novice
I did not invest in potion brewing neither stacked up a lot of potions earlier in the game and this has certainly penalized me.

Some later fights are also annoying because fire damage by fire elementals in not considered magic (?) and my mage's shield cannot protect other members from it even if they are within the radius of the spell.

I might give a second try following your advices but I want also to try modding a 5th companion with SQLite.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Use Burn salve before fighting fire elementals.

The Gardianum spell is practically useless unless it is raised very high. Same with Psychic focus.

Sabba

Novice
Unfortunately, as I said before, I didn't invest in alchemy and none of the merchants in Murolosh seemed to have this potion in quantity.

I've decided to give another try, but this time I used some SQL kung-fu first to mod up to 5 character slots, then to create a customized character based on the metamage. I played around with the starting spells, but I didn't give him uber powers, extra stats or anything. Is there a lore reason why the Metamage is only portrayed as a Tulamide?

I'm realizing that most of the difficulties I encountered the first time were because I wrongly assumed that TDE was just another D&D clone. There are still some quirks I'm not particularly fond of (like the triple checks for certain actions... if I understood correctly, rolling a 20 means failing regardless of the skill proficiency; that means that there will always be a 15% chance of failure no matter the level) but the system seems reasonably solid and versatile.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I thought that the Charlatan (half mage/half rogue) is the best class choice. He has all the necessary buff/healing spells, which is nice, but also fencing. There are a couple special, class specific, rapiers in both games that have great +wound potential (and thus, I think, make up for the magical shortcomings of the class), plus the Charlatan has a bunch of special moves that inflict guaranteed wounds. Just be sure to use the advanced editor at the start to strip him of all his useless skills and only invest in fencing and enough magic to just do buffs and healing.

I think maximizing your party for wound potential is the best way to play this game as it means you can cut through most trash mobs pretty quickly by mid game given that 5 wounds equals an instant kill. Set up your Elf ranger as a ranged fighter as bows also have maximum wound potential. Following this, obviously, only choose the special moves for all character classes that inflict wounds. Then get a tank for aggro and that's all you'll ever need. Magic sucks in this game except for summons, so having a ranger/elf with a summon is powerful enough to basically give you a fourth character (they don't do lots of damage, but they can take tons of damage). While your main charlatan/rogue can learn healing spells to use when necessary. Only problem is most bosses are wound resistant, which sucks, but I don't remember having much of a problem with this. Everything else is much easier, though. I was able to do the one on one cage fights in the opening city of "River of Time" way early just because it's so easy to kill non-boss characters with wounds.

Also, you don't need to invest in alchemy for your main characters. Just use one of the extra characters for essential/non-essential skills like arcane knowledge (for identification) and all the crafting skills (for potions and crafting). You don't need those skills on any main characters. River of Time only has a few extra NPCs so you will have to decide form the start who you want to use as a dump stat character (since I was a charlatan, I'd just use the rogue), but "Dark Eye" has a bunch of useless extra NPCs so there's really no worry there.

These games were just the right difficulty for me. They were hard from the start and stayed hard, but never frustratingly so. Like, I remember a plant boss fight somewhere in the middle that kicked my ass at first, but eventually was so satisfying once I figured it out. And I loved the scarcity of health potions. There are barely any health potions in "River of Time" (like under 20 in the entire game? can't recall but it wasn't much) and they were really expensive. I actually had to go gather herbs for an hour or so to make it through a really long boss fight towards the end and I can't remember the last time I had to do something like that in an RPG.

Last edited:

Sabba

Novice
Yup, potions are rare and expensive but ingredients are abundant so having someone capable of brewing potions is almost a must, as I realized too late in my last playthrough.

Fenris 2.0

Augur
If you do Aurellia's Quest she joins your Party, and IIRC she already got most of the Recipes and can learn the Rest. You can finish her Quest only very late in the game though. It's still important to collect herbs throughout the game - especially Olginwurz is only availbable for a short time at one place - you don't want to botch the gathering-check and you really need to keep it for the real powerful potions. Later they troll you with dozens of Olginwurz at Mount Drakensang and no Laboratory to brew the Über-Potions :D

Jeremy Carl

Novice
I got this game 5 years ago and never got around to finish it. I'm determined to do it now :). Have a slew of Excel files comparing equipments, spells, companions and whatnot to make sure I'll make the right choices. Currently at Tallon now.

Fenris 2.0 above: Indeed the Olginroot is very easy to miss. You need at least 13 Survival to even get it to show up on the minimap. I never would have known about it without reading a guide :D.

Cenobyte

Prophet
I can't remember any particular problems beating this game with my Human fighter. The lack of collision checks in combat was really annoying and made tactical combat basically impossible, but otherwise I found the game (I'm speaking about the first Drakensang, but the same also applies for the second game) to be relatively balanced. The best party composition really depends on your main character, but there are enough followers to make all classes worthwile and fun to play.

Turjan

Arcane
I don't remember any difficulties with the first Drakensang, either. I found it quite enjoyable, with the exception of the endgame.

As this thread is about mods: I think I edited the walking speed and put the preorder reward in or something like that.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
The game goes full retard at the end with (seemingly) endless hordes of stone golems and lizardmen.

Turjan

Arcane
The game goes full retard at the end with (seemingly) endless hordes of stone golems and lizardmen.

Yup. That mountain was just boring. Or let me rephrase that: The endgame took everything away from the game that made it enjoyable.

msxyz

Augur
i think the game ceases to be fun earlier than that, when you have to find the last part of the armor in the dward kingdom.

In general, there are too many pointless fights with trash mobs throughout the game, although they become really annoying only towards the end.

A shame the developer went bust, though. After the Dark Eye, I played the River of time and that left me wanting for more. it's a better game and avoids most of the shortcomes of the first one.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Huge sequel mod "Eye of the Goddess" was recently finished

Malgorra ist besiegt, Umbracor befreit. Doch das nächste Abenteuer wartet bereits. Zurück in Ferdok werden die Helden beauftragt einen entflohenden Verbrecher dingfest zu machen. Auf ihrer Suche führt die Begegnung mit einem hilfesuchenden Händler schließlich dazu, dass sich die Ereignisse überschlagen. Wer ist der mysteriöse Einäugige, der für seine Ziele nicht einmal davor zurückschreckt einen Praios-Geweihten zu töten und welche finsteren Pläne verfolgt er? Was hat es mit den geheimnisvollen Forschungen von Erzmagier Rakorium auf sich? Besteht vielleicht ein Zusammenhang zwischen seinen Forschungen und den Statuettenteilen, die den Helden in die Hände fallen?

Die Mod Das Auge der Göttin schließt direkt an das Hauptspiel an und führt den Spieler auf eine neue Reise quer durch den Kosch, bei der es neue Abenteuer zu erleben und neue Geheimnisse zu entdecken gibt.

Features:

- ca. 20 – 30 Stunden Spielzeit
- Schnellreisepunkte
- 272 neue Questen
- 250 neue, vertonte Dialoge
- nachwachsende Pflanzen
- Kekse

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Is thread still for actual mods?

I've started River of Time twice before now, and each time couldnt even get past the first town due to the incredibly slow movement. I timed it...the mages tower takes almost a whole minute to traverse the stairs. Otherwise the game is everything I wanted NWN2 to be like. I've tried installing the Ergo's fixpack mod, but it doesnt seem to affect my movement speed. vanilla game, vs mod, time to travel is exactly the same. It seems to install correctly but the speed changes dont take effect.

Is there any other speed mod, or another way to adjust the movement speed? I start to play, get sucked in and enjoy, then ragequit when getting across town takes longer than a morrowing quest that took me 1/3 of the way across the island.

Since this shit is in the codex TOP RPGs, id figure someone made this playable. Or maybe its time to fuck with the SQL editors on my own. But game seems good enough, and recent enough, that it shouldnt need a sheet of instructions to just be playable

Last edited:

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
True. And they may save it for me. but fuck i didnt want to get into editing sql databases, just want to speed up running animations by 50% or so. None of the self-install speed mods seem to change anything for me. i may have to do it myself, in which case ill be on tosomething else, then dip back into this when there's another rpg drought

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
I was hoping for a simple mod, but if Ergo's and (2 others) dont seem to work with my game install, i suppose there's no reason to think others would and i suppose ill have to resort to doing it myself. i cant imagine anyone playing through on the default setting, i didnt even mind divinity: OS's movement this much. no other complaints so far, love the mix of NWN meets Divinity 2 and a little Gothic

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom