Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

We're launching the new RPG Codex games database

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I agree with Dan. The reason for not giving points in the game database would be the same reason for not giving points in a review. Points and percentages are attempts to quantify a qualitative measurement, so there's a fundamental flaw right there.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
what about editors choice ?

Points and percentages are flawed yes but some games are so much more better compared to others.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What do you mean? A new thread for each of the entries? Or linking some of the old ones? Each solution has its ups and downs.

Ausir

Arcane
I was thinking of making it so that a new thread would be created only when someone adds his first comment for a game - no need to make threads for all games, and having lots of empty ones.

Rosh

Erudite
Good work with the database, and I too agree with how ratings do not fit into this site at all.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
We're all about content, and not about skin-deep subjective bs like ratings which reviewers just use because they can't explain the game in depth having only played 1-2 hours of it before writing the review.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I give the database a 5 out of 5. As it is now rated the top in my numerical rating system, there is obviously no room for improvement. Should improvement actually be made to the database, I shall have to do something stupid, like give the new version a 6 out of 5.

HUZZAH!!

I like the comments thread idea. Could be turned into a... dun dun dun... reader review thing.

Calis

Pensionado
Reader comments could easily be done, just like most of the other alterations suggested in this thread and on our TOP SECHRET staff forum. Let me quote Saint on the reason not to do it though:
Saint_Proverbius said:
I don't see why we should inflict more coding on Calis when we all know good and well that the more Calis touches something that works, the more likely it won't work afterwards. :D
Obviously he's wrong, but hey, he's the boss around this place. :D

Also I kinda like the focused topics that spring up around news posts and content. Do we really need threads to discuss individual games when we can use news and content about said games as a get-go to post comments? Would the comments posted in such a thread add anything to the discussions already had when a game is announced or when it is released / reviewed? I'm not sure it would. All it would accomplish is a central place for people to place reader opinions, which you guys don't seem to have too much trouble giving in the current situation, either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom