Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Serpent in the Staglands, a Darklands inspired RPG with cool pixel art, now on Kickstarter

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Guy Gavriel Kay literature is one of their inspirations? Interesting.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I thought the name sounded pretty cool until I heard it pronounced with an American accent.

The choice of reward tiers is surprisingly tasteful. Only two possible spots for backer content. The projected release date still seems overly ambitious for two people, though, even if they've already got the mechanics down.

Repressed Homosexual
They just don't have the intelligence, acumen, professionalism, and culture of the late thirties/early forties Microprose programmers and designers who made this in the glory days of PC gaming, it is impossible. Prepare for another gimmicky, poorly realized, and culturally shallow indie game. 99% of indie games are either garbage, severely lacking in one or many areas, or terribly unsatisfying and forgettable, and this one is certainly no exception.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Sounds nice enough. Backed. (Though I find the pricing quite "courageous". The early adopter tag was ok, but I would not have donated more.)

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Staglands Whalenought
I think they are pretty terrible with names.
No actual whales on the video, so eeeh.
Haha, not sure if serious.

First, Whalenought is the name of the studio, not the game. Did you expect Dead State to be an RPG about two-headed bears?

Second, nought means nothing or zero. If you saw zero whales, you saw whalenought.

As for Serpent in the Staglands, I like it. It actually implies that something is up and mentions a character. Yo, there's a serpent around here that needs to be dealt with in some way. It sure beats hell out of Soulfire: Sword of Destiny or Dragonspell: Mists of Wonder or any of those other Nonsense Compound Word: Vagueness of Ambiguous Concept type names. Using animals in the names immediately evokes life and motion. Much better than the flatness of nebulous, empty bombast I often see.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yeah, I really like the name too. Very cool. Reminds me of the name of a band: Wolves In The Throne Room.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
a very intentional move away from the design goals of PoE. I wonder which one will have the better combat? They'll both come out at the same time-ish.
lol. This isn't coming out in December.

I find the pricing quite "courageous".
Yeah. $25? Seems like they'd've done much better to just leave it open at $15.

Backed. Any RPG with Philosophy and Linguistics as skill choices is bound to be at least worth checking out.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Backed this as well.*

Overall, they have done a great job of launching this KS and presenting their game. However, their stretch goals are a little... odd. Not so much in what their promising (except for the co-op part which I could care less about) but in the price ranges. An extended soundtrack for this game just doesn't seem important but at only $1K more, eh...sure why not. Then a HUGE jump to $25K for a map extension?! That's 1 1/2 times their original KS goal and seems quite a (pardon the pun) stretch and then only $1K more for another map extension? KS stretch goals are usually spaced out to encourage your backers to "get to the next one." You want them to have that race type mindset to continue to pledge or do the PR forum leg-work of getting new pledgers.

Regardless, it looks fun and will clearly meet at least their initial goal.

Still backed it without the ability to get a boxed copy :P

MrEvilGuy

Educated
My favourite part of Darklands was continuously pausing to make my archers run away while my swordsmen took care of business.

If this is in Stagland as well I will back.

Shevek

Arcane
Ya, their stretch goals are weird. I would put up stuff like enhanced game systems (perks/feats/whatever), more monsters (or quests/etc), added graphical variants of whatever, orchestral score, etc etc. Still, it looks promising to me. I wouldnt back above $15 but at $15 I am in.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
I like their stretch goals. Makes them look sincere. I'm a little bemused with all these Kickstarters weighing themselves down with snake oil pitches promising a product that will cure bronchitis, help the baby sleep, and polish the silverware to a blinding gleam, if only you give them enough money. All the while the obligations are piling up which drag the release date further away from the intended deadline and closer to the point of the project being abandoned on account of bankruptcy. It's like they don't expect to make any sales on the finished product, and must make all their money now or never.

These two have set themselves a tight deadline which they are unlikely to meet, but at least they give the impression of being seriously committed to making a go at getting as close to it as possible.

flabbyjack

Arcane
$15 pre-order. Based on what I have seen from cRPGs on Kickstarter, I should I expect full version of the game to be $60

$1,800 to go and 30 days left on KS. If they don't reach funded status I have half a mind to give it to them myself.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Darklands production cost was around 3 million USD back then. How a two man team with ten thousands US dollars can pull it off?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom