Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Mass Effect interview: Cap'n Shepard = Jack Bauer

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Dedicated to Volourn, who's love of Bioware inspired us to take the insults to a higher plane."

Sweet. These are some awesome screenshots and scenarios. :cool:

"I know that graphics aren't everything, but the art direction in those screenshots blows"

You, little one, are a moron.

Texas Red

Whiner
doctor_kaz said:
I know that graphics aren't everything, but the art direction in those screenshots blows. Especially the environments. They look really bland and generic. Just compare them to Gears of War or Bioshock.

Indeed. But you cant distract Biowhore with ideas when teh next gen grafix need to be created.

Texas Red

Whiner
Not that Ive been following the development(read hype) but judging from the box cover it seems that there will be only 2 companions that, I think, will be forced like in NWN 2. So it isnt a coincidence that every screen featured the mug of that alien behind the Cap'n.

http://masseffect.bioware.com/gallery/#gal-box

Not that it is bad if they manage to deliver some real character. Of course its extremely cliche how in each movie and game there is a mandatory hot chick following the hero. At least, and thank Jesus Cruise, they didnt place a tight dressed bimbo with a cleavage on the box.

Texas Red

Whiner
Why is this forced NPC thing the new trend? Its the worse thing since... something. I was annoyed that I had to constantly buy and pick new items from a huge list of generic loot for the companions in NWN 2 that were forced on me. And getting to know their abilities, stats...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Yeha, I hate it to. The apext of hate came with NWN2. It nearly ruined the game for me. :evil:

suibhne

Erudite
The thing that bugs me by far the most about Mass Effect's dialog system isn't that it's OMG OMG REELTYME but rather that it plays so fast and loose with tone and meaning - and, therefore, character and role-playing.

Dialog options are already abstractions in most games; you might not think of them this way, but they represent or stand in for more complete conversational exchanges. Even MCA at his best doesn't write most conversations as they would really happen, and most games fall far short of his dialog. So here, in ME, Bioware has taken a layer of player-game interaction that's already abstracted relative to real life (and therefore relative to a player's real-life experience), and added another even more abstracted layer to it - ostensibly with the goal of making things faster and more direct and realistic.

Here's what I mean. In the conversational circle, the option is listed as "I gave you an order!" But what that actually means, as you see upon its real-time expression, is "I'm in charge here, Garrus! Not you. I gave you an order and you damn well better follow it!" This is only one of several (at least several!) possible tones suggested by the option you actually chose ("I gave you an order!") - so the game has now put itself in the business not only of limiting your potential choices (as all games do), but of actually making your choices less meaningful by potentially forcing your character to use dialog that doesn't actually match what you chose (or thought you were choosing...).

Will this be much of a problem with the game as a whole? I obviously haven't used this system, but yeah, I suspect it will. There's no way to abstract the player's dialog to the level of a few words without also losing meaning through that process of distillation - and eventually (probably frequently) forcing dialog upon the player that's totally different in tone and content from what he thought he was choosing.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
I agree. That's my biggest beef with ME's 'new' dialogue system (as opposed as the usual BIO way of dialogue).

I like to know *how* my character will say soemthing; not just *what* he says.

Good stuff, Suibhne. :idea:

JoeDirt

Scholar
Forced companions = linear story = JRPG = more sales. Pretty obvious where those 'forced compainos' came from, really. NWN2 itself had quite a bit of JRPG influence.

Voss

Erudite
It looks like KoTOR, but extra-shiny.

In the future, even the fabrics will have reflective properties.

Question, tho. In this image-
http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/718/718963/img_4269998.html

is the one in the white suit male, female or hermaphrodite?
Its a little slim for manboobs, but theres definitely a bit up top, and very little down below. In fact, the shadows give the impression of depth, so... maybe it is female, but it isn't clear.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's obviously female. B00bies, hands on hips (how many non gay men do you see hold their hands on theirs hips like that? :lol: ).

honourblade4cf.jpg

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Voss said:
is the one in the white suit male, female or hermaphrodite?
Its a little slim for manboobs, but theres definitely a bit up top, and very little down below. In fact, the shadows give the impression of depth, so... maybe it is female, but it isn't clear.
Are you kidding me? If that's not a woman, it's a member of an alien species which looks like female humans.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Hehe. Can't take what they say BIo said seriously when they obviously forgot that BIo themselves is calling ME an Action RPG.

But, hey, for those anals, at least with a 'RPG Shooter' the RPG came first in the name. L0LLERZ!

You know, because whatever came first is obviously where the focus is. :roll:

TIP: Just because it uses an engine known for its FPS; it doesn't mean it's a shooter. Action. RPG. That's what its 'genre' is.

R00fles!

Volourn said:
But, hey, for those anals, at least with a 'RPG Shooter' the RPG came first in the name. L0LLERZ!

TIP: Just because it uses an engine known for its FPS; it doesn't mean it's a shooter. Action. RPG. That's what its 'genre' is.

R00fles!

r00fles indeed.
r00fles indeed.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Volourn said:

Bethesda claimed Oblivion to be an RPG. They did not say "Action/Adventure with RPG elements" but RPG. Was the focus on RPG? No. So please stop talking shit.

In Propaganda the name doesn't tell anything about the thing at all, too. And the thing big developers do is Market Propaganda. Go figure.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom