Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Civilization: Beyond Earth announced

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Tags: Civilization: Beyond Earth; Firaxis

Civilization: Beyond Earth has been announced. Taking place in the near-future, you control humans colonizing an alien world.

The game is based on the Civ 5 engine. You'll control what the initial ship has in terms of crew and equipment and one interesting addition is the orbital layer, where you can build satellites.

The game will be available this Fall for $50.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I hope they don't dumb it down too much and cut too many features for expansion packs.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Very nice looking-trailer, but I prefer when trailers show some actual gameplay footage.

Zeriel

Arcane
Yeah, unfortunately them tying it to the Civilization franchise pretty much guarantees it's going to be a milquetoast version of Civilization on a new planet without all the dystopian stuff that made SMAC cool.

Still, even a really shitty version of SMAC is much more appealing to me than Civ 6 after the catastrophe that was Civ V. I was pretty sure I was done with the series, but this'll probably pull me back.

Oh god, confirmed for sucking:

It was at this point in the interview that I asked whether Beyond Earth would bring back unit stacking, or continue using the one-unit-per-hex rule introduced in Civilization V. According to lead designer David McDonough, Beyond Earth will not have military unit stacking. "I am a big fan of the way warfare was designed in Civilization V," McDonough added. "I thought it was very elegant and would make a good fit for this game as well considering we’ve added these alternate game layers--such as the orbital layer--which sort of let you break that rule by launching units into space and having them effect units on the ground without being stacked on top of them."

Wonder how many games of people bitching about this and the AI being unable to handle it that it will take for them to reverse course.

Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
considering there is exactly zero chance of it not sucking horribly:

meh.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
No unit stacking
:rage:

One of my memorable moments in Civ 3 was playing as Germany and defeating the final AI (China) with a panzer blitzkrieg. I signed a right of passage pact with him, then used his railways to position panzer stacks of doom near his every city. Next turn, I declared war, annihilated him and won the game before the turn was over.

According to lead designer David McDonough ... "I am a big fan of the way warfare was designed in Civilization V..."
And+what+if+she+is+_527f4ce288ad8ca8370974ca041529a0.png
One unit per hex can work though, like in all those other hex based games that had good design and unlike Civ 5 which didn't.

Zeriel

Arcane
The problem is they hatchetjobbed it into an empire-builder, not a wargame, and have never really tried to solve that dillema. They show no signs of thinking anything is wrong with it, either, which really undermines any real hope I have for this game. Throw in the fact it's literally built on the same exact engine, and it's hard for me to see any longevity for this game beyond sailing the high seas and playing it in singleplayer once.

Wise Emperor

Arcane
Yeah, it will be shit. Don't even compare it to SMAC, which had one great feature that differ it from other Civs: great atmosphere and STORY! Every new Civ since second instalment is bland, generic, strategy with tedious micromanagement crap. Which should be fun but it ain't. SMAC=Fallout of 4X. Hope it bombs. Fuck you 2K.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Are there any forums with a regular presence by Firaxis?

According to lead designer David McDonough ... "I am a big fan of the way warfare was designed in Civilization V..."
And+what+if+she+is+_527f4ce288ad8ca8370974ca041529a0.png
One unit per hex can work though, like in all those other hex based games that had good design and unlike Civ 5 which didn't.

What games? I mean this, I'm not a strategy gamer.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt

What games? I mean this, I'm not a strategy gamer.
It's been a while since I played it, but I remember liking Fantasy General. SSI developed a bunch of turn-based, hex-mapped strategy games, like their highly-regarded Panzer General.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
let's not forget battle isle or the simpler rps puzzle strat games like massive assault...

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Lol that Gamespot made a big giant ad for the game instead of news. Not even fansites are jizzing this much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom