Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Bioware interview at CVG, part II

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Lord Chambers said:
The point is this--satire is great, when the audience is aware of it.
I think the audience is per definition aware of it.

Moving from sarcastic commentary of real quotes to posting faked screenshots changes the mode of communication from a critical news site to one that just satirizes.
That's an unjustified, irrational assertion. The satire is added to actual news, so it's a critical news site that also satirizes.

Either way is fine, but posting faked screenshots without identifying them any way as such is unethical from a journalism standpoint.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Haha (edited)

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Ladonna said:
Did you seriously believe they were real? Did you not read the text in the pics Lor Chambers?
:shock:
Did you not read my text?
Lord Chambers said:
I know it was a real quote. The reason I know is because If I recall correctly, it was highlighted in the Codex newspost of the interview that featured it, and undoubtedly some snide remark was made about it. The only reason I know those screenshots are photoshopped is because I saw them first in a thread. I suppose I'm lucky too, because if I had just seen the news post I would have thought them to be real, and I may have kicked a child in a helpless act of rage.
I read enough of the text in the screenshots to recognize they were pulled out of the photoshop thread. I did not notice the Bioware fanboys part which is certainly a giveaway and would made me a little less likely to post the "controversial" comment "bodes poorly for the future of the Codex as a news site." However I still might have.

Ladonna said:
And please think about this...VD gives an opinion with the newsposts, what is different from putting in joke pics?
The usual format is an indented quote section, followed by sarcasm relating to the downfall of gaming. What's different is that this time we saw some sarcasm, followed by intended screenshots. Solely based on the context in that news post (that is, expunging all your regular sensibility of what you'd expect to see in a game) it would follow that the screenshots are real because the sarcastic comment refers to them. In this case, it was all part of a sarcastic remark to the above indented quote section. One day I might see them as the same remark, another it'll look like the comment refers to the screenshots.

Ladonna said:
I believe you are taking things a wee bit seriously here LC, especially since the article is linked to so that YOU can form an opinion.
I don't believe I'm taking things too seriously. It's a comment bitches. A reader's response to what he had just seen on the front page. No alarms, no report to the Online News Association or an email Bioware. Just a quick reply on the fly. You realize the Codex makes fun of stuff. Do you realize that everyone else realizes that too? I do, and my comment was made with that understanding. If the Codex staff doesn't feel an urge to avoid crossing a line between being critical of news and posting photoshopped screenshots (ostensibly as part of being critical), that's fine with me. I think the screenshots are the funniest thing since the Soviet Propaganda, and before that Chefe's comics. That does mean though, that the Codex becomes less and less of a news site when more and more of the forum stuff is on the front page. But wait, I already said all this.

Lord Chambers said:
Moving from sarcastic commentary of real quotes to posting faked screenshots changes the mode of communication from a critical news site to one that just satirizes. Either way is fine, but posting faked screenshots without identifying them any way as such is unethical from a journalism standpoint. Maybe respectable journalism isn't something the Codex staff values. Either way it "bodes poorly for the future of the Codex as a news site."

Stalagmite

Scholar
So, lord bed chambers thinks it it detremental to RPGCODEX (hint hint) news credibility when fake photoshopped pictures get posted. Ever consider the people who read the news posts? It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out that the pics are parodies, beddy boy. But, like you said, it was just some snobby snide remark "on the fly" that you didn't think to much of, yet you took the time to make a good sized post defending yourself??

My conclusion:

Lorrd Bed Chambers disagrees with VD's news post, made an "on the fly" remark, yet doesn't want to fight off tons of people questioning his remark. I think he should start a new thread on how news posts are supposed to be made (yes, a whole new thread) according to Lord Bed Chambers. We should give him some time to think about iit, get ready/prepared for a pepper of feedback, and take it from there.

Just my opinion.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just looked at some old PA strips, and felt this was somewhat appropriate:

20000121h.jpg

HardCode

Erudite
What's your take on Microsoft's Games for Windows initiative? Do you think this is a driving force that PC gaming needs?

Ray Muzyka: The Gaming for Windows initiative is a very good idea and we're definitely excited about it. It holds the promise of bringing more awareness of PC games to gamers by thinking about PC gaming as a platform in its own right.

Okay ... games have been on PCs for 20+ fucking years. And on Windows for 12+ years. I stopped reading the rest after this moronic opening of an article. Is there anyone over the age of 25 left in the gaming industry?

Voss

Erudite
No, no, its a large flightless bird riding a bicycle while sucking on popsicles. Grape, of course.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom