Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] Pilgrimage

Omicron

Scholar

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Ok, so, less vague:
LORE: So, basically who are these markings usually used by and where do they originate?

He seemed to be all, "I know those markings!" is why I asked...

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
What do we stand to gain from going with either group? Any ideas? I'd prefer to vote on more than cool/shady factors.

If we go with the two thespian nutballs (goatee-sama and retard-sama), we may be able to pick up a few fire shaping techniques to put us above the "can light sticks on fire...sometimes" level.

oscar

Arcane
1. It seems we can learn more from these people than we can the Ashguard. Their skillset seems more up our alley

I don't mind the return to Kurze's hold idea to see what we can pick up if we could safely make the journey.

Baltika9

Arcane
also Baltika9 you owe Smashing Axe a summary of Dirge.
As per the deal, Smashing Axe:
Starting off as a “blank slate,” Pilgrimbro (skilled with alchemy, herbalism and scholarly knowledge) set out from his village to Ash Mountain located in a desolate valley, far away from his home on a pilgrimage. Arriving into the city closest to it, looting a nearby tomb for an Ashguard sword (setting’s spess mehreens/super warriors/tWitchers) we settle down for the night, get mugged while asleep (charming place, really) and go seek out a priest named Issus* (staunch supporter of the Ashguard, rather devout to his religion too) for assistance.

He gives us a lecture and a deal: get him the Godsblood (the bloody tears of God, hurr) from Ash Mountain and he will help us retrieve our stolen stuff. On the way there we encounter some troglodytes that are about to rape/kill/eat (not necessarily in that order) a woman. Sneaking up on them and ambushing them with poisoned blowdarts, we save her and obtain a piece of jewelry but the woman flees in the night when we are asleep.

Finally making it up the mountain, we retrieve the Godsblood and are ambushed by a guardian of the mountain. We die…

…and are miraculously resurrected by an androgynous-looking blind waif who awakens the talent of Fire Magic within us.

Pilgrimbro wakes up back in town, in Issus’ home. The man got his Godsblood and the locket we acquired earlier (turns out that girl was actually his daughter). He gives us some tea, another lecture on religion and offers us to joing the Ashguard. We refuse, deciding that our freedom and magical talent are more important (tWitchers can’t use said magic) after which we set out on the road to nearby shrine of our God, which Issus insists is a false idol.

Arriving there, we find a group of troglodytes near it, ambush and kill all but one. The statue demands a sacrifice of “likeness for likeness,” stating that it gave us life and now wants something of equal importance. We offer it the life of the last troglodyte, but it finds us wanting. Enraged at the inadequate offering (us voters really screwed the pooch on that one, the correct answer was to give up an eye for POWAH) it curses us with some sort of festering illness.

As if things couldn’t get any worse, we are ambushed by a group of fresh troglodytes and are carried off to their base: Duskhold Castle

Pilgrimbro wakes up in the dungeons of Duskhold Castle (belonged to Lord Kurze, obvious reference to Colonel Kurze once a hero of the realm and now demented magician and “god” of the local troglodyte tribes) to a very odd sight. Troglodytes were enacting some sort of religious ritual, dressed up in old and mismatched clothes, armor and jewelries. The centerpiece were captured locals who were raped, killed and devoured (again, not necessarily in that order) by the macabre troglodyte horde.

After the ceremony is over, the Lord pulls us to the side and offers us a place in his inner circle. The girl we saved earlier, Alia, is rather demented at this stage, became Kurze’s creature (that’s the best way to describe her at that point) and wants to have children with us. And Kurze offers another incentive: the statue cursed/blessed us with Blackfire, the tainted/unholy version of our fire abilities. While good for some things, it also keeps our tainted arm weak and festering. Kurze is a wizard of some ability and he offered us a cure, as well as knowledge for our abilities. We agree and become his understudy/assistant. In the night, we are again visited by that blind waif that resurrected us, she reveals that the statue we worshipped is just a malevolent spirit that deceives worshippers to its own ends.

We are assigned two troglodyte bodyguards, whom we spar with and learn some hand to hand combat. After one of said spars, Pilgrimbro realizes that they aren’t trogs at all, but mercenaries hired by Kurze. Striking up a conversation, he learns that they were from his home town of Alma, as well as Kurze’s backstory (won’t go into it, the old lunatic is pretty irrelevant to the plot right now). Otherwise, we are studying in Kurze’s library and assisting him in his rituals.

One day, the old man sends out Alia back to the city to turn more converts to his side with her charm and beauty. While she is gone, the castle gets attacked by the Kinsfolk. Pilgrimbro realizes what’s going on and attempts to put together a hasty defense with Kurze. Making their way into the inner study, they attempt to conjure up a spell to save their collective asses, but fail.

Pilgrimbro decides to perform the ritual himself (read the Fallen update, it’s fucking awesome) and the resulting spell kills everyone in the chamber and drives of the Kinsfolk. We are again visited by the waif who fills us in on some details and reveals herself to be mortal (how she resurrected us is still a mystery). We return to the city of Denn to wait for the winter to end and the pass through the mountains to clear. There, we find out that Issus was forced to burn Alia at the stake as a witch, have an introspective moment as to why we set out for this pilgrimage in the first place and what we want out of life, get picked up by the Ashguard and set out on the journey we find ourselves on now.

And so we’re stuck travelling with the Ashguard, the Judge (he was Issus’ other candidate for the Ashguard whom he initiated with the Godsblood), the Quaestor and his assistant, Issus and the blind waif in the carts. We overhear the Ashguard talking about their newly-minted “brother,” some speaking for him but most speaking against.

To save the man from execution, we speak for his character. Unfortunately, the Ashguards were bored and felt like being a bunch of dicks, so they accused us of sorcery and pitted us against one of their own to fight for the Judge’s good name… then they broke out laughing at their own clever prank, clapped us on the shoulder and took our words into account. They were pretty grateful for it, too, since our testimony will likely save the guy.

Of course, Judge doesn’t approve and is still pretty standoffish, and when we approach him for conversation, he pretty much tells us to fuck off. Nonplussed, we are then cornered by the blind woman that starts toying with us again. Pilgrimbro flies off the handle, picks her up by the scruff of her shirt and gives her a piece of his mind. She walks away rather disheartened, but we do learn that she can read our thoughts, at least in close proximity. Pilgrimbro feels like a douche.

Later in the night, we are out picking herbs and are cornered by the fake Legate, who gives us a piece of his mind. Declares us witch and apostate for defending the “peasant” Judge, but ultimately leaves us alone. It is at that point that we start hearing the Kinsfolk approach us again. We rush back into camp, raise the alarm and watch the Ashguards push the Kinsfolk back. At that point we realize that one of the Kinsfolk is after us specifically, and run to a ruin that the Flame pointed out to us, hoping to trap her there.

We are intercepted in the ruin by the false Legate and his servant, and by the Kinsfolk that pursues us. We engage her in a hand-to-hand duel (and survive, somehow), get our ass saved by the real Legate and his fire magic. Then they invite us to continue the hunt for their quarry: Issus and the blind waif, and we accept.

The “No Light But Rather Darkness Visible” gives us a proper introduction to the real Legate and his assistant, and a rather macabre sight of their quarry:
I simply stare morosely at the plains ahead, half-comatose with exhaustion and the fading remnants of panic, listening to the crash of thunder. It is in this reverie that I glimpse three figures far off into the distance, outlined against the splitting sky. I open my mouth to warn the Quaestor but another sheet of lightning allows me to see the third figure more clearly, a caricature of an emaciated and feral woman on all fours and, wet bone-white hair trailing behind it. My stomach heaves violently when I realize the thing is not stalking but bounding alongside the other two, like a dog would its master.
and faces us with the current dilemma: Go with the Legate, go with the Ashguard or strike out alone to find the City of Light.
*Heh, Issus=Jesus.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Lore: How likely are we to survive making it to the City of Light or elsewhere? How dangerous is this area in regards to our low supplies and iirc one armed stature?

Unwanted

Bricks

Unwanted
Internat eating my posts...

Vote 2, go with the Ashguard.
+ its safe and secure
+ and we just beat for free the seemingly core plotpoint from before the lp break, being judged that is
+ we are free to go after they bury their dead
+ we already know where the cite of 'light' is...
+ to good to be true

Finally making it up the mountain, we retrieve the Godsblood and are ambushed by a guardian of the mountain. We die…
…and are miraculously resurrected by an androgynous-looking blind waif who awakens the talent of Fire Magic within us.
Never got this. Its kind of retarded or I am retarded. Is it just a setup for MYSTARY?

LORECHICKS
Where do lizardbeasts come from? How do you domesticate reptiles?
What are those Ashguard crypts? Why cant we even see them? Is there loot in there? Do Ashguard names imply something?
The pilgrim is kinda familiar with magic. How do the Ashguard slip the minds of mortals?
Can the pilgrim become a ninjaknight Ashguard without donning armor or losing his tiny grasp on magics?
It seem that the eyeless chick with sweet thighs is connected to the evil one with lotsa teeth, why, how?
What was so special about the place that we ran into the legate at, the auspicious one?

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
1 sounds great. Except the being bound to them for life stuff. Screw that noise. I wont sign up for a lifetime, no matter how short it is likely to be, of being the legate's bitch.

So I vote 2 assuming we can decline serfdom and go elsewhere. 3 otherwise.

Baltika9

Arcane
I meant those as separate events, the real Legate+assistant being one and the macabre sight being the other.

Baltika9

Arcane
I meant those as separate events, the real Legate+assistant being one and the macabre sight being the other.

oh, right. but you also confused eaglerock castle (the castle in eaglerock citadel where Kurze used to rule years ago) with the duskhold (which is where you were kept prisoner)
Alright, it's fixed now, also made the difference between the Legate and his quarry clearer.
Smashing Axe, this was done for you so you'd better fucking vote.
:rpgcodex:

Baltika9

Arcane
So 1 is a horrible choice, then? :lol:
Very well. Ask the Legate what the purpose of his organization is and what will our role in it be if we join him.

What would be the most consistent choice for our character so far? :troll:
Sticking our head up the butthole of one of the giant lizards in the desperate hope that the Flame will bestow upon us lizard methane powers?

edit: actually Pyromancy: stick head up the butthole of one of the giant lizards and pray for methane powers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What would be the most consistent choice for our character so far? :troll:

you got a 1, which is the best possible roll apart from 0, so...massive respect. exactly what do you mean by 'more consistent' ? with what aspect of your character exactly?

Well, when considering the choices we've made since the start of Chapter 1, which choice would be the most keeping in character here? Would it be the "No gods, no masters" choice #3? Would it be the "flame consume us" choice #1? Or the "purge the heretics" choice #2?

Not really buying #2. I've voted for it earlier, but seeing as the majority chose fire earlier, I'm on the fence between #1 and #3, currently leaning towards the former.

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
'How do you find an honest man?'

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom