Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Generation Xth Code Hazard etc.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I figured since it's out now we might as well have a thread about actually playing it since probably at least a few people are. I'm having a blast so far. I made a full party from scratch, dicked around in a dungeon for quite a while before realizing I was supposed to do a bunch of tutorial shit, proceded through that for a while, and now I'm screwing around ignoring the mission request so I can keep going at the dungeon I'm clearly not supposed to be in right now. I love the freedom of it, and the variety of loot. The inventory management is a bit annoying (subdisk should be larger and identification at home should just be free or even automatic) but eh, whatever. Also, I seem to have fucked up one of my characters quite a bit already. I didn't realize that the types you choose for stats in character creation also determine equipment. So now my paladin, who 'specializes in spears' cannot use spears. Which kind of sucks because I was planning on putting my priest in the front row since she has obscenely good AC to begin with and can wield a bigass hammer. Not sure what to do about this. Might shove the ninja in a back row instead and have him be a ranged attacker. So many equipment options.

Spell progression seems a little odd too. Just got my 2nd level spells, and they seem no better than the first level spells. Like, at all. I got an elemental swap of my nuke, some variations on stat buffs/debuffs that are completely equivalent, and some utility stuff that seems really situational. Hoping I don't regret making a party full of spellcasters.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Mega-ultra-bro-tip: There are two items you must avoid spending: Omega Maps and Babel keys. They are required for post-game content, but are found in limited amounts in the game... waste all omega maps, and you'll be unable to beat 100% of the game.

Zetor

Arcane
Yes, spell balance is a bit whack. In that sense it's a bit closer to the Bard's Tale games: spells aren't something you cast in every battle, you cast them when the situation requires them (in combat, this means really tough boss battles). In fact, many of the PSI spells are extremely situational, and some of the 'heal' (priest) spell levels aren't much better. Wizard spell levels at least tend to have a nuke somewhere...

Semi-brotip: If there is one character that's indispensable during the later stages of the game, it's definitely a paladin. Aegis is just too good.

Damned Registrations

Ditched my paladin and remade another with better stats and the standard stat layout (which can apparently use EVERYTHING? Trollol balance.)

I've been working my way through the morimoto building now, and I love the design. Near the end now, had to go back to get a key. But it's fantastic the way you need to pay attention to the layout to figure out how to find all the hidden rooms and shit, even though at first glance it seems random and haphazard. I also just realized why slimes were beating the shit out of me and have begun to remedy that problem. Leery of putting any elementals on my weapons though since AFAICT you basically can't even damage shit that is strong vs your element, and I dunno how strong the benefits are.

Game is turning out to be way better than I expected.

Zetor

Arcane
Yea, the 'types' aren't too well-balanced. That said, I went with intellectual for my scholar, elegant for my mage (with a level of cleric) and devout for my cleric. Going with the athletic / brute types for non-magical frontline classes (e.g. archer or fighter) is good too.

e: btw, you can switch weapons during combat at no cost. Definitely worth it to e.g. have several arrow types in your archer's bag and switch as needed. That said, I got through the game without needing to min-max elementals on my weapons -- or even to mod them much at all, except for the ectoplasm mod.

Damned Registrations

Ok, these fucking 'lair' enemies are horseshit. The first time I figured maybe it was my fault for opening a beta-key locked door so early on, but this time I ran into the fuckers just for going through a secret door. Fucking hopelessly raped, and you don't even get a chance to run away. Entire dungeon run wasted. What level am I going to need to reach before this shit stops happening?

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Err... wtf... where can I buy this shit? Can't find anywhere.

Cenobyte

Prophet
I have played the Japanese version some time ago. It's definitely a good game. I used the premade characters for my party since I wasn't sure if my Japanese would be good enough to fully understand everything.

Might as well give the game another shot with a fully customized party...

Damned Registrations

Protip: Give everyone the 'standard' stat layout and adjust from there to meet requirements. The only stat layout that seems worth the loss of equipment is 'unlucky' since it gets an obscene AC bonus.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Just gave the demo a throw and uhm... didn't like it. If the controls suck I don't give a fuck.

Cenobyte

Prophet
Mega-ultra-bro-tip: There are two items you must avoid spending: Omega Maps and Babel keys. They are required for post-game content, but are found in limited amounts in the game... waste all omega maps, and you'll be unable to beat 100% of the game.

I think you can get an infinite amount of Omega maps and Babel keys from Masa. What you get from her is of course extremely random, but if you abuse save/load a lot you should be able to get all the stuff you need. Eventually.
She's also a good source for Genome material and other high-level stuff.

Semi-brotip: If there is one character that's indispensable during the later stages of the game, it's definitely a paladin. Aegis is just too good.

Yes, the paladin is really useful in the final stages of the game. Another extremely worthwile class is the ninja, he has a fairly good chance of insta-killing even the toughest enemies.

I've now finished the game again, except for some endgame content (still need to grind for a few of those Babel keys...).
What I liked about the game is that the design of the dungeons is really well done, especially in the Babel sphere with unique themes and challenges for each map. The game is also pretty fair to the player in comparison to some other dungeon crawlers, so it should also be enjoyable for players without much experience in the genre.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I think you can get an infinite amount of Omega maps and Babel keys from Masa. What you get from her is of course extremely random, but if you abuse save/load a lot you should be able to get all the stuff you need. Eventually.
She's also a good source for Genome material and other high-level stuff.
Nope, I checked the japanese wiki, it's not infinite. She does give you a Omega map as you unlock her emotions, but it's a scriped drop. After that, she starts to give random stuff, and that does not include the map anymore...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom