Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview The Codex Mass Effect interview

protobob

Liturgist
Keep volourn banned forever, or at least give us the ability to filter out his posts.

Slith

Scholar
callehe said:
@VD:
so when do you ever get what you ask for? (don't bother answer that, rhetorical question)

@DU: ok, so why are you trying so hard? you contradict yourself in every post. summing it up:
I don't care what you think!!
Do you know how much time i put down into this article, how dare you critisize me!!!
I don' care what you think!!!
If you aren't nice to me you can go and play with volourn at volourncodex LOLOL!

Jesus christ, would you quit your fucking whining? Volourn acted like an obnoxious 12 year old and got what he deserved. Fuck, be glad I'm not in charge, I'd be dumbfucking and banning half you people left and right for being retarded.

Volourn's posts were incredibly stupid. He can't even argue right. He needs a timeout, maybe he'll grow up a little.

Slith said:
callehe said:
@VD:
so when do you ever get what you ask for? (don't bother answer that, rhetorical question)

@DU: ok, so why are you trying so hard? you contradict yourself in every post. summing it up:
I don't care what you think!!
Do you know how much time i put down into this article, how dare you critisize me!!!
I don' care what you think!!!
If you aren't nice to me you can go and play with volourn at volourncodex LOLOL!

Jesus christ, would you quit your fucking whining? Volourn acted like an obnoxious 12 year old and got what he deserved. Fuck, be glad I'm not in charge, I'd be dumbfucking and banning half you people left and right for being retarded.

Volourn's posts were incredibly stupid. He can't even argue right. He needs a timeout, maybe he'll grow up a little.

You realise that he's more likely to simply be storing up a huge supply of r00fles (say no to the ugly capital r) to hit us with as soon as he gets back.

cutterjohn

Cipher
Chinese Jetpilot said:
TO BE CONTINUED?....
ROFLMAO

Volourn: Hey! When I first showed up he was acting like an almost normal post(for the codex anyways).

Then when Gothic 3 came out, and almost everyone who tried it liked it, he became a major asshat and hasn't let up since then. I'm just surprised that he was put up with for as long as he was, constantly disrupting the forums.

I predict that he'll pull a Nick the Imperial, spamming the forums eventually...

Anyways, I can hardly wait for bioware's 3rd person squad based shooter, unfortunately I don't own a crapbox 360 and don't plan on ever owning one...

:honourblad:

elander_

Arbiter
I can't wait to be pushed cutscene after cutscene in a lame pseudo sci-fi opera written by unemployed hollyhood script writers. Even if my gaming wishes look for a true successor to Starflight.

PS: Volourn is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD. :lol: Game over.

Quigs

Magister
Codex used to be fun.

There were the 4 or 5 generally decent people, like VD, saint, RP, etc, and then a small buffer zone of pleasant people.

Then, slowly but surely, people mistook a slight dash of sarcasm as just being an ignorant asshole, and decided that being an ignorant asshole must be cool.

so then there were 4 or 5 generally nice people, and a hundred ignorant assholes who thought that just being mean was the way to go.

From this pool of assholes spawned mega-assholes, sorta like a wierd FEV. From this vile pool of green pulsating ooze, arose Volourn. (also, its somewhere around here that Rex, who once wasnt a total douchebag, fell into the vat too.)

Im glad to see that the super mutant Volourn finally got critically shot to the eyes with a turbo plasma rifle, taking permanent ban damage.

Surgey

Scholar
I know I haven't been here long, but your analysis really seems pretty accurate.

On a similar note, Mass Effect needs tons more massive effects and lens flares. And more bloom, too. If Commander Shepard's face isn't radioactive, then it's not realistic at all.

EDIT: You can quote me on that "Massive effects" pun if you like.

EDIT 2:
It's like The Phantom Menace without Jar-Jar - in retrospect it just wouldn't be the same without.

I prefer to call Phantom Menace "Duel of the Fates," because my mind automatically blanked out any other images besides the Darth Maul fight. As far as I'm concerned, they could've just had that fight, made it a short, cut out the rest, and called it "Cool Lightsaber Fight." You know it would've been more enjoyable.

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
Volourn had it coming since he kept daring VD and saying he didn't have the balls to do it. I wouldn't want him to be permabanned though, a week is about right.

Calis

Pensionado
Quigs said:
(also, its somewhere around here that Rex, who once wasnt a total douchebag, fell into the vat too.)
I've (kinda) known Rex for over 8 years now, and over all that time, I'd say his douchebaggery has been in steady decline (no idea what he's like these days). Saying he became a douchebag at the Codex is grossly inaccurate.

Gromnir

Liturgist
a couple observations:

1) Gromnir ain't a fan of codex

2) priestly is a humorless putz at times

3) you clowns really handled this thing badly

when priestly showed up and acted serious and foolish, all you Codex jokers had to do is laugh at him and the situation, and admit that you were doing an obvious parody piece, and throws in a disclaimer to mollify him and bio... toss in a line akin to: "This disclaimer has been added at the request of Chris Priestly, a QA tester at Bioware who seemed to believe that those of you reading this would be too stupid to realize that the above interview was a joke." you guys woulda' won on every front: chris woulda' looked like a bigger putz than normal, and you fellas woulda' had a second opportunity to poke fun o' chris and bio.

*shrug*

'course, we ain't a fan o' codex, so maybe you'all see things a bit different than does Gromnir. regardless, am always sad when a good practical joke opportunity gets screwed up by incompetence or ego.

HA! Good Fun!

aries202

Erudite
At another site I just saw a very fuuny cartoon depicting some one's vision of codexers:

Basiccally, the message was that the codex members are screaming children who complains a lot --- like 'where's the text' and 'we want turnbased combat' and the like.

Very funny ;) --- and if you ask me, this is not far from the truth about most of the members of the codex...(myself sort of included).

I like Torment as much as the next guy, and I also like playing QFG5 a lot. However, I also do understand that in order to make games, corporations & firms like Bioware must sell games to stay in business.

This sometimes means taking business decisions in order to sell more of a game (such as ME) so that the revenue can be used for paying for the development of Dragon Age, for instance.

If I look at the interview (fake) with Casey Hudson,
it at least is clear to me that the interview was (and is) a fake. (especially since the codex didn't cover ME ---- untiul now....I think...).

Sadly, if I peruse through the interview which Casey has given to other sites lige IGN, Gamespot and such sites,iit rellly gets very hard to distinguish between what is 'real' and what is'fake' since the more outrageous comments seems to come in the
real interviews....

Nevertheless, I took the (fake) interview as a sort of spoof or joke....and while this can be valid at times, personally, I don't understand the reason why the codex would do this...

ME is supposed to be a cool action RPG game in which you play as commander Shephard, not
a rehash or re-enactment of Ultima 5 or the Gold Box series.

I think the codex biggest complaints with ME lies in the dialoque system, which at fírst seem similar to
Oblivion's speechcraft minigame. After I've had a closer look at it, from some of the vids being released by Bioware, I must admit that I can't understand what the fuzz is all about.

You get to choose 3-6 options like 'choose the parnoid response' or 'chose the inquisitive response' or 'threaten him' or 'talk to him calmy'
or several other responses like that.

If you then choose 'threathen him', the game will then choose what you're will say to say Garrus or Anabeth(?), but the response will still be fully TEXTED.

In BG1+BG2 and possibly KOTOR1, you need to read in order to understand that someone was angry. The tech adveancement has now made it so ithat the devs. can show emotions in the characters
facial expressions. Much like an actor in a play or in a movie.

One could argue that this merely or only helps the player further the advancement of the story along by choosing the 'correct dialoque' options which could mean that the player were sort of reduced to
a 'let's get the story going kind of guy or girl'.

There is a thread over at the Bioware's forums
discussing this...a very interesting thread indeed...

Personally, I don't see what all the fuzz is about ME's diaoloque system. It is sort of the same dialoque system being used in the adventure game
the blackwell legacy'.

In this game, the blackwell legacy, you typically have three responses; depending on the situation it could either be 'parnoid response' or 'inquiring response' or 'familiar response' or 'honest response'.

The games actor's or characters will then have a little chat or conversation according to the player's choices. I have just finished playing the demo of this great game, and it worked pretty well.

There is no reason to believe that such a dialoque system shouldn't or wouldn't work well in MA.

Quigs

Magister
tony.jpg

Texas Red

Whiner
Heh, I always got a chuckle out of Avellone's cartoons. And he is a pretty handsome guy too! Good job at breaking the gamer stereotype.

callehe

Liturgist
Naked_Lunch said:
i'm ashamed for the admins on the codex, what happened? you guys used to be cool.
Good. Last thing I need is to be admired by a dumbfuck like you.

who said i admired you poopface? i'm simply curious of what happened to the ppl in charge here, that used to be somewhat level headed in the past. obviously the others must have smelled your breath and gone mad.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
In decline? Are you telling me he was more of a douchebag before he joined the site?
I'm pretty sure Calis and Saint didn't even want him on staff in the first place but we let him on because we didn't have anyone else to design the site and Rex pretty much black-mailed us into it with a "Me not on staff, me no make design" attitude. Calis can correct me if that's wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom