Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Favorite character(s) in an RPG

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
513451-ultima-vi-the-false-prophet-amiga-screenshot-your-old-friends.png

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Everyone who name-drops an NPC without naming the game from which he/she is from should be banned. I shouldn't have to switch to google every second post just because I don't play Japanese dungeon crawling shit.

Anyway, PST had some of the best characters out there (too many to mention), but that game had an unfair advantage of 'anything is possible' so its characters could be living gimmicks and get way with it.

As for more grounded games: Gizmo, Harold and Master from Fallout. Marcus and Myron from Fallout 2. Magus from Chrono Trigger and Kid from Chrono Cross. I also liked most of the cast of Final Fantasy 4, 6 and 9, altough there were exceptions. Baldur's Gate 2 had some cool NPCs too. Most of them were party members, but there were also Saemon Havarian (written as an annoying twat, but it worked) and Mae'Var.

Oh, and let's not forget Minsc.

:troll:{/spoiler]

And Jon Irenicus is worth a mention just for his voice.
Irenicus was well done not because of some brilliant writing but because he had so much screen time in BG2. It made him feel more formidable and more real. Most CRPGs, including later Bioware ones (no idea about DA2; haven't played that) fail to make their villains interesting if only because they appear too late / too little in the game.

EDIT: the villain from Divinity 2 (forgot his name) was cool too.

Last edited:
Neeshka, Elanee and Khelgar
:mca::troll:
In all seriousness, though:
- pretty much everyone you meet in PS:T (especially Ravel, Dak'kon and Morte)

- Irenicus for being such a magnificent bastard (skip to 8:22):

- Walton Simons, Bob Page and Sam Carter

- Aryon, Baladas and Divayth Fyr
Brb, replaying, I still need to detox myself after NWN2OC :negative:
Or, as a proper masochist, it's time for codex let's play :obviously:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
To me generated characters in old school games like Might&Magic, Wizardry and Gold Box games are hardly more than numbers, although I try to stick to the Lawful Good alignment when playing Paladin led parties in FRUA and the GB games.
Any "personality" is just due to "LARPing" on the player's part.

Like it or not, but the characters of games like Baldur's Gate are far more memorable than any collection of stats from the earlier mentioned games.
If I should pick some favourites, I think I'd pick Montaron and Xzar from Baldur's Gate with the BG1 NPC Project mod.

Muh Icewind Dale party. Hell, I'd take "LARPing" with, say, an X-COM squad over listening to some Johnny one-note NPC "personality" raving about giant space hamsters any day o' the week.

deuxhero

Arcane
I really liked Virgil, though he could have been more "present". While "former low life finds religion" is pretty done thing, it's pretty nicely executed (I vaguely remember being able to look up the the name on the gravestone he visits in Calderon without any quest prompt or such telling you it is possible, giving you some info early.). The way he ties into the falseness of the panari and the nature of the afterlife really makes him a key part of the story.

phtmyr

Cipher
Practical One from PS:T
Renesco from Fallout 2
Jon Irenicus and Edwin from BG 2

KevinV12000

Arcane
I share the opinion of many here, especially with regard to the NPCs of PS:T, but there is one character that I think is unique in all of CRPG history in that he is one of the best-written and memorable, but one never meets him: the Survivalist from FNV: Honest Hearts.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
to name a few that stuck in my mind:
Player char on low int and Myron from Fallout 2
Mandara from RoA3
Gunther Hermann from Deus Ex
Leutnant von Mackwitz from Die Reise ins All (German-only RPG maker 2000 game). :obviously:

Lemming42

Arcane
The Vault Dweller
The Chosen One
The Master
Goris
Myron
Rocketman Renesco
Lily Bowen
Dean Domino (the bastard)
JC Denton
Mannimarco (from Daggerfall, not the Oblivion incarnation)
Caius Cosades just for the stupid shit he says when you stumble into his house with 1 HP
Every Altmer in Morrowind (Oh, I see you're wounded- GOOD)
Sseetharee just for the Lizardman language thing
The Onion Knights from FF3, mainly because I played a really shit translation
Cecil Harvey
Kain Highwind
Celes Chere
Ultros the Octopus
Frog
Everyone in Wizardry 8
etc

And of course all the player-made characters who never really speak from games like Darklands, Buck Rogers, older Wizardrys etc

Vibalist

Arcane
Safiya from MoTB. Very down to earth and stripped of all the usual shit you get from female companions in RPGs. No whining, no tragic backstory, not insanely beautiful to satisfy the pathetic virgins. She was simply normal. She's more or less the opposite of what you find in Bioware games, which I appreciated immensely, even if she was sometimes a bit on the boring and plain side.

Her romance felt very tacked on, though, and was probably a sign that even Obsidian aren't immune to the demand that every RPG nowadays must have one. But whatever. It didn't ruin her. She's still one of the better female characters I've experienced in an RPG (of which I can't think of many).

Eyeball

Arcane
Whenever anyone calls me "Sir" out of the blue, I still get the urge to reply "I AM NOT A SIR, I WORK FOR A LIVING YOU MO-ROOOON!" at the top of my voice.

deuxhero

Arcane
Her romance felt very tacked on, though, and was probably a sign that even Obsidian aren't immune to the demand that every RPG nowadays must have one. But whatever. It didn't ruin her. She's still one of the better female characters I've experienced in an RPG (of which I can't think of many).

You're both the reincarnation of sorts of two ancient lovers, one of whom rebeled against his sworn god for the other's sake. As much as I hate them, I don't think it would have made sense to not have some form of romance there. I think Sawyer or Ziets mentioned it was originally going to be sex agnostic before WotC complained because of that

I did like that a lot of the scenes were just casual banter with flirting splashed in.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Four pages and no mention of the BROche? :outrage:

tw2_animatedgif_leaving_by_maqeurious-d3ia13b.gif
vernon_roche_and_geralt_by_michal4269-d5brfps.gif
Three pages and
Morte.

A companion backstabbing you is usually just boring, but "don't trust the skull" gave me genuine shivers.

Also Ravel. The whole build-up to meeting her is fantastic and the dialogue with her manages to live up to it. Kind of hard to choose your favorites from the PS:T cast, though. I also really like Kaelyn the Dove from MotB (Gann too, but what the hell is up with his hair?) and BROche from Twitcher 2. Anachronox has a bunch of cool characters but it's hard to name just one.
:outrage:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom