Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: South Park: The Stick of Truth

Turjan

Arcane
Yup, nice review.

The review says that the Steam version uses Uplay. Did they remove that later on? I just ask because I just got a Steam key, and there isn't any Uplay involved.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
The STEAM version does NOT use UPlay. That's the version I bought, specifically because of that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Crooked Bee. Looks like there isn't any. I have it on Steam too, but must have confused it with MMX. Should probably edit that out.

Turjan

Arcane
I have it on Steam too, but must have confused it with MMX.
I guess so. I was surprised Ubisoft dropped their Uplay plans on this one for the Steam version. Who knows, maybe that's the result from feedback for MMX? Although that sounds unlikely, given the time line.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Decline of Codex. Serves me right for not reading Zed's part of the review again

Jestai

Augur
Patron
So you edited the review without looking at Zed's part, only to read it when it's published ? It makes a lot of sense brother.

Zeriel

Arcane
I guess so. I was surprised Ubisoft dropped their Uplay plans on this one for the Steam version. Who knows, maybe that's the result from feedback for MMX? Although that sounds unlikely, given the time line.

Much more likely it was just something Obsidian pushed for.

Not because I think Obsidian is that admirable (I don't), but because publishers give zero shits about customer feedback, but give lots of shits about relationships with people they work directly with. If this were in an inhouse project, 99.9% certain it would have Uplay.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Much more likely it was just something Obsidian pushed for.

Not because I think Obsidian is that admirable (I don't), but because publishers give zero shits about customer feedback, but give lots of shits about relationships with people they work directly with. If this were in an inhouse project, 99.9% certain it would have Uplay.

Ubi generally seems to give third party devs the option to choose. Also SP had Matt and Trey and was far into production.

(Uplay wasn't dropped, it was never even in the game btw.)

Also whaaaaaaat?

Zeriel

Arcane
People who make the product you sell > people who buy the product you sell.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I say you both might be wrong.

Large corporations typically have dumb "blanket policies", formulated by some out-of-touch egghead at the top, that everybody within the corporation knows are kind of dumb. The "all Ubisoft games must use Uplay" policy is one such policy.

Now, if you're a producer at Ubisoft who has some clout and connections, you might be able to find and exploit a loophole to dodge said policy. So, imagine this conversation:

"This game isn't being developed in-house, and it was originally funded by THQ, so it's not REALLY an Ubisoft game right? :smug: Also we don't have time to put in Uplay, the game is already way late, so come on Yves, forget about the Uplay for this one."

"Okay, fine. Just this once."

":thumbsup:"

Duraframe300

Arcane
I say you both might be wrong.

Large corporations typically have dumb "blanket policies", formulated by some out-of-touch egghead at the top, that everybody within the corporation knows are kind of dumb. The "all Ubisoft games must use Uplay" policy is one such policy.

Now, if you're a producer at Ubisoft who has some clout and connections, you might be able to find and exploit a loophole to dodge said policy. So, imagine this conversation:

"This game isn't being developed in-house, and it was originally funded by THQ, so it's not REALLY an Ubisoft game right? :smug: Also we don't have time to put in Uplay, the game is already way late, so come on Yves, forget about the Uplay for this one."

"Okay, fine. Just this once."

":thumbsup:"

Would be applicable if South park was a special case. There are others like COJ: Gunslinger's and Shootmania Storm.

Its just that the VAST majority of Ubisoft games have in-house connections which is why its so prelevant. 3rd Party devs seem to have a choice.

Turjan

Arcane
Uplay wasn't dropped, it was never even in the game btw.
It isn't in the Steam version, but I thought Crooked Bee said that the non-Steam version uses Uplay. Which means that the "no time for Uplay" explanation doesn't really fly.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm already confused myself. :P Can't check though, since I've already uninstalled the game.

Gonna edit that bit out altogether.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice write-up, except for that Josh Sawyer bit in the middle, which was pretty detached from the rest and pointless.

Anyway, the game is quite unique in that I am still on the fence about getting it. This has never happened before - reading Codex review always nailed it for me. Not this time, though.

Lhynn

Arcane
I had fun with it and finished it without playing any other game in the middle, and thats rare. Its true that the systems are shallow, but they dont overstay their welcome, the game feels short until you realize that if you played it just one more hour the combat would have felt unbearable and probably the whole experience would have fallen apart.

All in a all a fun game, a shitty rpg tho.

godsend1989

Scholar
Divinity: Original Sin
Forced myself to finish it, a lot of filler combat Dragon Age Origins style (at least in DA2 combat was fun) overall disappointed.

Turjan

Arcane
Anyway, the game is quite unique in that I am still on the fence about getting it. This has never happened before - reading Codex review always nailed it for me. Not this time, though.
It's quite simple: If you feel propelled by fart jokes, you can't go wrong with this one.
Also, have you ever been befriended by a polished turd? See...

Xi

Arcane
You know what's funny? I was playing Distant Worlds yesterday and I got a pop-up notifying me that my ship had managed to colonize the world of "Fart." I kid you not. The first thing that popped into my head was the South Park game. Wish I had taken a screen shot. ;P

The review stands as a good warning to avoid the game until it's in the bargain bin. Thanks guys! While I like the show, it's been a while since I've actually watched it.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
however, this is also the best, and most skilfully written, comedic RPG I’ve played.

Really? You haven't played both Barkley and Superhero League of Hoboken?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom