Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian wants you. Again.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Obsidian Entertainment

<a href=http://www.obsidianent.com>Obsidian</a> <a href=http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13220>continues</a> its search for <a href=http://www.obsidianent.com/jobs/>top talent</a>, willing to work on the Alien RPG and an announced "console action role-playing game".
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Area design experience on at least two titles, including at least one RPG, FPS, or other action title.</blockquote>What's the difference between an RPG and an FPS anyway?
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.rpgwatch.com">RPG Watch</A>

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Uh, duh, like FPS's doesn't have phat loot also. Damn space monsters keep dropping first aid kits and weapons of mass inflation all over the base.

The difference between both genres is clearly that RPG is spelled RPG and FPS is spelled FPS. Other than that, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!

(Argh?)

Edit: I have to change my signature. Suggestions?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
VD, did you ever read February's Game Informer and their Gothic 3 review?

Seboss

Liturgist
What about it ? Is it desperately biased to Bethesda and Bioware like 90% of RPG reviews out there ? Dwelling on the bugs and disregarding all the good stuff about the game ?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Locue said:
The difference between both genres is clearly that RPG is spelled RPG and FPS is spelled FPS. Other than that, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!
What if you can't spell? Is there any way to tell the difference in this case?

aweigh said:
VD, did you ever read February's Game Informer and their Gothic 3 review?
I must admit that I haven't. Any good?

Seboss

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:
What if you can't spell? Is there any way to tell the difference in this case
Sure, RPGs have a compass marker.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Joe Juba said:
It is perilously easy to compare Gothic 3 to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Realistically speaking, the only time the two games should be mentioned together is in a context like: “Boy, Gothic 3 sure sucks. I want to play a real game, like Oblivion.” Gothic’s biggest draw – exploring a wide-open landscape – is utterly suffocated in the armpit of its numerous problems. With a futile combat system and an array of crippling technical issues, Gothic 3 is almost amusing in its failure. The visuals appear lively enough at a glance, but looking at the game any deeper reveals a dead world inhabited by poorly executed good ideas. Heck, I’m even sorry I had to write this review, since it is now published evidence that I spent time playing this embarassing trash.

His e-mail: JOE@GAMEINFORMER.COM

Texas Red

Whiner
Wait. They are working on the shitty Alien RPG(worst setting I can imagine) *and* a console ARPG? Hot damn!

So first the BI folk state in the interview that they left Interplay because they wanted to continue making CRPGs, only to repeat the mistake of Interplay by making the same games which ruined the company.

I hope Obsidian's greed will fuck them over ten times. Knowing NWN 2, and KotOR to some extent, and the way it is crap from a technical point of view, and that they dont know nothing about action elements, I hope their console ARPG will suffer from their incompotence and get bashed by the reviewers, leaving them once again bankrupt by the very same mistake that ruined Interplay.

The Walkin' Dude said:
Wait. They are working on the shitty Alien RPG(worst setting I can imagine) *and* a console ARPG? Hot damn!

So first the BI folk state in the interview that they left Interplay because they wanted to continue making CRPGs, only to repeat the mistake of Interplay by making the same games which ruined the company.

I hope Obsidian's greed will fuck them over ten times.
You're only mad because Obsidian doesn't want you.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Seboss said:
Vault Dweller said:
Locue said:
What if you can't spell? Is there any way to tell the difference in this case
Sure, RPGs have a compass marker.
Exactly! Just press TAB to bring up the Mission Objectives and a funky map and you're all set for a dyslectic night out killing zombies.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!

suibhne

Erudite
Oh yeah, I saw that one, aweigh. I thought about posting the full content of both reviews here, but then I was like..."Wow, these don't deserve to see the pixellated light of day". :lol:

TheGreatGodPan

Arbiter
aweigh said:
Joe Juba said:
It is perilously easy to compare Gothic 3 to The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. Realistically speaking, the only time the two games should be mentioned together is in a context like: “Boy, Gothic 3 sure sucks. I want to play a real game, like Oblivion.” Gothic’s biggest draw – exploring a wide-open landscape – is utterly suffocated in the armpit of its numerous problems. With a futile combat system and an array of crippling technical issues, Gothic 3 is almost amusing in its failure. The visuals appear lively enough at a glance, but looking at the game any deeper reveals a dead world inhabited by poorly executed good ideas. Heck, I’m even sorry I had to write this review, since it is now published evidence that I spent time playing this embarassing trash.

I believe the Codex already noted this review earlier.

Kraszu

Prophet
Locue said:
Uh, duh, like FPS's doesn't have phat loot also. Damn space monsters keep dropping first aid kits and weapons of mass inflation all over the base.

(Argh?)

In rpg you got exp and more loot then in fps. Also every rpg have dungeon.

Kraszu

Prophet
TheGreatGodPan said:
aweigh said:
Joe Juba said:

I believe the Codex already noted this review earlier.

Yes that if I recall correctly it is the review where he write that AI is horribole because Orc patrol didn't attack him on sight.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Kraszu said:
Locue said:

(Argh?)

In rpg you got exp and more loot then in fps.
EXP and loot exists in FPS's! For every sub-boss you defeat, you claim yet another weapon for your arsenal and thus you're, like, getting stronger!

Edit: Considering some FPS loot is spawning every now and then, FPS's have more. Seriously, you can check this yourself. :wink:
Also every rpg have dungeon.
Dungeons. Smungeons. Are we talking caverns here? 'Cuz Doom 3 had Hell! And dungeons are really just another name for "place filled with monsters to kill". Dungeons. Abandoned Mars Base. No difference.

THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE!!!

:wink:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're sooo stupid.
There IS indeed a difference in RPGames and FPShooters:

In RPGames you can customize your looks!

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
In Halo you can change your armor's color, asshole. All it needs is a Super Mario Bros minigame when you talk to others and it would be a true RPG.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Jasede said:
You're sooo stupid.
There IS indeed a difference in RPGames and FPShooters:

In RPGames you can customize your looks!
Why do you lie? We all know it's the developers who customizes the looks and that the player merely chooses faces and feces!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom