Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nobunigga's Ambition

I never got into this series and I feel like I want to.

Problem is that there are so many games I don't know where to start.

PS2 and PC games would be easier to get a hold off at the moment. Any bro got suggestions?

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
DS pokemon version, better played on Android emulator.

And I'm not even joking.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Kunitori Zunou Battle for DS. Which is a spin-off but still the best game anyway. I know one of our esteemed members did a write-up topic on it here.

Can't stand Pokemon Conquest though.

Big problem with NA series if you want to get into it is that most of its installments are in Japanese.

Also series eventually went from turn-based to real-time which the Japanese think is decline.

Iron Triangle on the PS2 is in English and probably the most well-liked though IIRC of the real-time games.

If you want to play the turn-based ones, you don't really have much choice outside of 1 & 2 and you're basically playing those "for historical purposes" since the series made some huge leaps since then.

If you CAN read Japanese, consensus is split between 4 (武将風雲録), 6 (天翔記) and 8 (烈風伝) for best turn-based NA game. The series doesn't really make a linear progress in mechanics though, it jumps all over the place in what the heck it's trying to do (like its sister series RoTK) so you gotta try all of them to see which ones you enjoy.

Felix

Arcane
Play Taikou Risshiden V too while you at it, the amount of freedom is incredible, too bad the team that made Taiko Risshiden series is no more :negative:

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Also series eventually went from turn-based to real-time which everyone think is decline.
Fixed for you.

The only NA games I've played are 6, 10, 11 and 12. Out of these, I enjoyed 6 and 11 the most. 11 has real-time combat but is still a good game despite that. 6 is completely turn-based and has some really unique mechanics. Like most of Koei's strategy titles, though, the NA games usually cease to be challenging as soon as you conquer your first province.
Taikou Risshiden V
Also, this. Koei made a trillion strategy titles but IMO their best games are actually the RPGs (Uncharted Waters, Taikou Risshiden etc.)

Silva

Arcane
Im amused everybody recommendation of Taikou Risshiden. Is this shit translated already or you guys talk fuckin japanese ? Ive always wanted to play it, but the language barrier impeded me.

Also, the nearest experience to Taikou, if you cant speak japanese, is Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (8). There was a time I started as a travelling bum and went up to governor ! YEAH!!! (or just play Crusader Kings 2)

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Im amused everybody recommendation of Taikou Risshiden. Is this shit translated already or you guys talk fuckin japanese ? Ive always wanted to play it, but the language barrier impeded me.

Also, the nearest experience to Taikou, if you cant speak japanese, is Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII (8). There was a time I started as a travelling bum and went up to governor ! YEAH!!! (or just play Crusader Kings 2)
All self-respecting weaboos read Japanese.

I've heard that RoTK 10 is better than 8, though neither are quite as fun as Taikou Risshiden. I believe 10 got an English release on PS2.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
All self-respecting weaboos read Japanese.
Is there some online course on jap or something ? Any tips ?
Personally, I just downloaded a bunch of PDF textbooks and spent something like 10 minutes skimming through the pages every day. After 3 years now I can play most Japanese games untranslated without much problem. Unfortunately the PDFs are in Chinese so I don't think they'll help you much. Also my method was unoptimized as fuck and you should probably go for a more systemic approach if you plan to ever use you Japanese skill for something other than playing video games.

TigerKnee

Arcane
http://learningjapanesewithanonymous.blogspot.com/

Note: unless you're a language prodigy, it'll still take YEARS of effort to get competent. But I like not being beholden to the whims of fantranslators and this is actually a skill that might have some usage in your life outside of playing silly videogames so look at it as some sort of long-term investment..

Cool name

Arcane

From what I have been told, that Rosetta Stone thingie is pretty good if you can get it for free. It is not worth buying for the price they ask.

Heisig's books on the Kanji make memorising them extremely easy, but the Japanese are going to think you cheated.

Japanese has a very particular structure, so once you have learn the structure and some basic vocabulary videogames and manga are actually very useful: The vocabulary is simple as they are aimed to tweens and teens, and the combination of visual context and the language's structure makes it very easy to both understand and memorize.

Or if you are lazy, left handed, and have talent for Sorcery get yourself a copy of the Ars Goetia, get someone with actual experience to compose a simplified rite for you or to share with you his or her own, and then call forth Agares, Ronove, or Forneus.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I don't know either.

Swaping it and FE/SMT would actually make some form of sense. Not something anyone really asked for, but at least pairing a tactical game with a strategy game or the granddaddy of monster recruiting based jRPGs and the popularizer/biggest of the genre would be understandable.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Musou is popular in Japan. (The character designs in Pokemon Conquest are the Musou versions, not NA designs even though its supposedly under the NA line.)

Pokemon is popular in Japan.

Therefore crossover.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Japanese has a very particular structure, so once you have learn the structure and some basic vocabulary videogames and manga are actually very useful: The vocabulary is simple as they are aimed to tweens and teens, and the combination of visual context and the language's structure makes it very easy to both understand and memorize.
This is something that's been bugging me as I try to learn kanji actually. They're clearly made up of combinations of simpler kanji, but the thing I'm using to learn them isn't teaching all the basic elements first, but instead teaches a basic element first (like say, the kanji for 'water') and then all the complicated ones based on it (like 'ice', 'swimming' etc.) then it moves on to another group based around another simple kanji.

It makes it easy to remember them because all you have to remember is the connecting part and what makes each different, but it means I'm utterly fucked trying to recognize kanji I haven't seen before, even if it's something that would be really obvious if I knew some basic shit and had a bit of context. Also, it means I'm nowhere close to having a basic usable vocabulary. I know the kanji for 'rape' or 'formal visit' or fucking 'luggage' but not for 'eat' or 'go' or 'door'. I know 'white' but not any other colours. :rage:

Cenobyte

Prophet
If you are trying to learn Japanese in earnest, it's important to not forget that most kanji actually appear in compounds. Therefore I'm personally not so sure if learning individual kanji is a good way of getting a grip of the language and vocabulary. Take for example the luggage you mentioned. There's an individual kanji with the meaning "luggage" (荷), but in practical use it's almost always written as a compound (荷物). Furthermore there are some compounds with readings that cannot be derived from its constituent kanji, e.g. 明日 (あす or あした).

From my limited experience (I've lived in Japan for half a year), I found it best to not focus on kanji at all. I simply learned the vocabulary, both in terms of meaning and kana/kanji writing. That way I was able to connect kanji characters and compounds to concrete words and it also helped to learn the kanji writing of many important words in a quick manner. So basically I only learned kanji passively and when necessary, but that proved to be enough to pass the kanji test at the end of my language class with the highest possible score.

Also, Silva learning Japanese requires some patience and continuous effort, since its grammatical rules and vocabulary are very different from our Western languages (assuming you are coming from this part of the world). Don't expect quick results nor being able to fluently read or speak it after a couple of classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom