Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ultima Ultima 7=Decline?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Real time combat where you have as much player input over your actions as you do in strategy games that have streamlined combat to a minimum. That is none, apart from issuing the command to attack or stop attacking. U4-6 had turn based combat.

No party creation, character creation consists of choosing a name and a portrait (at least the game lets you play as a black/female character and have gay sex, so it's got all the most important choices covered!)

Streamlined stats/RPG system, there aren't any stat requirements for wearing items apart from strength reflecting in a character's ability to carry things.

Not very challenging, and as a result of your lack of input in combat, that one hard boss fight there is can be solved by finding a glass sword. Casting spells aside, whether you win or loose in combat is really just up to whether you and your party members have better stats and equipment than the enemy or not. I guess it's a very pure RPG in that regard then.
I guess you could say that the challenge lies in keeping track of the nonlinear storyline, finding out all the necessary spells and items and so on rather than in combat.

The storyline consists mainly of doing different fetch quests to various people. Oh you want my book? It's in the warehouse, but you'll have to go through 7 switch puzzles and stack a bunch of crates on top of each other (I actually liked this part) to reach it! Who cares that you're the Avatar trying to save the world. Same goes for the answer for life and death, you'll have to do a bunch quests for other ghosts before he'll tell you the answer, which is trololo fooled you.
I guess that's common for RPGs and overall U7 didn't feel too much like it was making me do tedious tasks just to make the game longer.

There wasn't much of C&C that I can think of (Guardian gave you a choice not to destroy the black gate, you could try lying to the unicorn and some other minor stuff like that) and Black Gate didn't have that great of a story (Serpet Isle was a lot better, also a lot more C&C from what I recall), even though the premise is great. I think Spoony went over this in his review of U7: Why would the Guardian let the player know that he's controlling the Fellowship?

Of course the stand out feature of this game is the interactivity, and although it should be more commonplace in RPGs and games in general, I don't see it as a prerequisite for a great RPG. High level of interactivity with menial objects is more of a common feature of Ultima games rather than CRPGs in general. Which makes a better game, party creation&combat of Wizardry 7/8 or Ultima 7's combat AND the ability to make bread? You know what other RPG series is also known for it's world simulation elements? Elder Scrolls. U7 is technically very impressive, but having a big budget to blow on creating a virtual world does not excuse lack luster game design (see: Oblivion, Skyrim, World of Warcraft)
Don't get me wrong, there are some nice things you can do with the interactivity, like blowing doors open with cannons to steal stuff.

So why is U7 hailed as one of the greatest CRPGs of all time? At least Wizardry 7 beat it in RPGCodex top 50 CRPG list. But then again, in that very same list Morrowind, Fallout New Vegas, Gothic 2, and a JRPG with real time combat (*) placed higher than Wizardry 7, Ultima 5 and gold box games so it's not the most credible list.
*= If you're going to allow Japanese console games on a list of the greatest CRPGs of all time, then Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is much closer to a pure CRPG than Dark Souls is, as it's turn based, party based, has more deep battle system&combat, has party micromanagement, C&C and Wizardry-esque maze like dungeons and it's just as challenging as Dark Souls is if not more so. It even has a similar solemn doomsday atmosphere.

Also it's interesting to note the direction which the series took after games based on the U6 gameplay enginge: FP, 3D Dungeon crawler with RT combat, U7+U7pt2 (almost adventure/RPG hybrids in certain sense), a game that was Diablo before Diablo was released, a MMORPG and a Gothic/Elder Scrolls style single player MMO.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No Ultima game, Serpent Isle included, ever had C&C in the "Black Isle-style RPG" sense of the term. Sometimes you were presented with choices in dialogue but they were either cosmetic, or there was a right answer and a wrong answer. That kind of roleplaying just wasn't on Origin's radar, at all.

What's funny is that the Gypsy chargen questions (in U4-U6) have over the years tricked a lot of gaming journalists into thinking that the Ultima games were all about "moral dilemmas" when in truth that kind of thing almost never appeared in the games themselves.

Also, no Ultima game ever had a "stats/RPG system" worthy of note. (well, I guess the skill-based system the Ultima Underworlds used was kind of interesting but I barely remember the details of that)

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Yes, Ultima VII was decline, but not for the reasons you mentioned. In a series without a strong RPG system and mediocre combat, losing its chargen screen and turn-based combat is insignificant next to the removal of its text parser dialogue system and the karma meter.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Never liked Ultima because I was a combatfag, but at least 5 was OK in that department. By 6 they kind of jumped off the rails in the gameplay department though.

Really, the only thing I remember about 7 is the hilarious sex scene that considered of 2 sprites alternating between the "falling down" and "standing up" animation.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
rp_evocity2_v1p0009.jpg

this never gets old

Perkel

Arcane
huh ? I don't think anyone claimed Ultima7 is the bestest of the bestest best RPGs in all eternity.

Most of people simply are saying it is probably THE biggest RPG that is not shit overall and also featured shit ton of stuff that was not essential to gameplay but using those things back then was fun as hell and that was in times were "crafting" wasn't mentioned with minecraft in same sentence and shit like that still isn't common in RPGs. At best RPGs give you shitty crafting with no simple stuff like making food etc.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I pretty much agree with OP. U7 felt more like a top-down PnC adventure compared to the previous titles.

Divinity: Original Sin
Ultima 7 is not decline, but it´s a harbinger of it. Every new RPG tries to be ultima 7 and fail to achieve its level.

Everything that is "irrelevant" for the genre in ultima7 is actually perfectly done. Even combat being very streamlined, at least it was unintrusive. The setting was varied, and each individual NPC was actually idividually written and had it´s own portraits. There were no NPCs that were there just to populate cities (maybe only guards).

pavis

Educated
Maybe it was a decline for combat, but for open world, interactivity (you can move virtually everything), exploration, npc schedule (no rpg has done better yet), dialog trees, it's a massive incline !

Old Hans

Arcane
Game was amazing fun back in 1992 (except the combat which was dog food even back then)

I have a feeling a lot of people approach these old rpgs from the perspective of a new player. "ah man Wasteland is such a basic game and Fallout had much better C & C. I don't know why its such a classic"

Avellion

Erudite
Ultima 7 may have been decline in the combat aspects, seeing as it wasnt about combat. But Ultima Online was pretty far ahead of its time in some aspects, especially when it came to the world itself, which is where the game shined.

TripJack

Hedonist
bro according to rpgcodex ultima 7 is a worse rpg than dragon age so yeah it must be some pretty fucking strong decline

Magellan

Augur
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Maybe it was a decline for combat, but for open world, interactivity (you can move virtually everything), exploration, npc schedule (no rpg has done better yet), dialog trees, it's a massive incline !

Totally agree! The combat was weak, but other than that, the game is incredible! I think it's among the best games ever in terms of drawing you into the world.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh how I wish the guys who did Lazarus and Ultima 6 Project had done their Dungeon Siege remakes of U6 and U7 instead of U5 and U6...
I never could bring myself to play Ultima 7 back in the days, nor when it came up on my chronological play list.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
bro according to rpgcodex ultima 7 is a worse rpg than dragon age so yeah it must be some pretty fucking strong decline
it's true though. u7 has no merit as an rpg, to a point where it's not worth calling it one, but it excels at being a sandboxy adventure game.

mondblut

Arcane
Most of people simply are saying it is probably THE biggest RPG that is not shit overall

Darklands and Daggerfall are pissing in the faces of those "most of people".

Ultima 7 is Oblivion mk 1992. Immersionfag eyecandy with zero RPG substance. Sure, I can perfectly understand the kids of 1992 going all "wow whoa, I can make bread from flour, bestest gaem evar" back then... but so I understand the kids of 2006 peeing themselves over Oblivion.

Now, "RPG fans" who didn't learn any hindsight in these 20 years - that's sad indeed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It was more about exploration and the world design than anything else. Certainly not an amazing RPG.

Machocruz

Arcane
A few years ago I would have dismissed this as Codex being edgy and contrarian again, but there is a reason I've been able to admire but not make much progress in this game.

Ultima 7 is useful as an argument as to why so many recent RPGs weren't very impressive or worthy of the amount of adulation they receive for their worlds, and as to how, no, rpgs haven't really progressed all that much. But even then, is it really that important that tavern wenches actually serve food in a video game? It's a nice detail, but that's the least of what is wrong with games today.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom