Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

More fun with SCS2.

11170.jpg

Killed the Hive Mother that is added in by the "Improved Beholder Lair" component. This thing is pretty difficult, and the drow don't attack it, so that means no monster infighting shenanigans. She also has the good sense to retreat to fellow beholders if blinded by magical means, so to be cured via an Anti-Magic Ray. Quite devious, but was no match for EXTREME cheese.

11171.jpg

11172.jpg

Cheesing the rest of the beholders, because they are a cheesy as fuck enemy what with their ~10 eye rays a round and overpowered Anti-Magic Rays. While the beholder may be an iconic D&D monster, I've never found it particularly fun to fight in cRPGs. They tend to necessitate cheese to not be insurmountable, whether it's the Mulmaster Corps or BG2's hive. Vanilla BG2 did a okay job with the nerfed beholders in the Unseeing Eye hive (which, I believe, were altered to be "regular" beholders as part of SCS2 systematic changes) as well as the gimpy beholderkin like Gauths and Directors, but the regular ones tended towards the cheesy side, especially the Elder Orbs who had a tendency to cast Imprisonment on the main character. SCS2 Elder Orbs are pretty insane, especially with Contingencies and the pre-buffing component.

11173.jpg

The Demon Knight room in the Kuo-Toa caverns was a total mess when I tried to face it with the full party. Too many Symbols, Power Words, and 20d6 Fireballs going off everywhere, leading to total carnage.

So I decided some hot demon-on-demon action was required. Two Nabassus and a Glabrezu were summoned in, and the main character was buffed up (including the requisite Protection From Evil) and left to wait, invisible, while spiderbro was sacrificed summon in the Demon Knights. Once they blew their spells on the demonic help, the plan was to jump out of hiding and shred the Demon Knights.

11174.jpg

As you can see, the plan worked out very well. The Improved Fiends component can be quite annoying when facing off against mages who drop Glabrezus and Cornugons on your 10th/11th level parties, but it does make demon summoning a lot better.

11175.jpg

11176.jpg

Killing some Kuo-Toans and their prince to round out the dungeon trifecta before going back to Ust Natha for the ritual. Completed it in arguably the most fun way*, although the reward should really be better. A +4 Halberd that can cast a powerful Blindness spell 3x per day is sort of nice (besides the fact I have zero halberdiers in the party), but something like bonus stats would have been preferable.

*Killing the Demon Lord would be fun, but the Improved Drow City component makes escape afterwards extremely difficult.

11177.jpg

:butthurt:

11178.jpg

YEAAAAAAHHHHH! Kickin' that dragon's scaly ass! Gonna win this one without much in the way of casualties.

11179.jpg

Yeah...about that whole no casualties thing...

Adalon is pretty tough. Arguably a bit easier than the Shadow Dragon, but most of the difficulty with that was a lack of items to prevent level drain. I assume that if I faced it with the Amulet of Power and the Improved Mace of Disruption the fight would have been much easier.

She starts the battle with Stoneskin, Haste, and a Remove Magic cast at ~25th level. That means she can easily dispel most pre-buffs and taking down her Haste with be extremely difficult without an Inquisitor (or over-leveled casters). As a silver dragon, she has two breath weapons: a cone of cold that hits about as hard as red dragon fire (hitting for 80-100 damage is not uncommon) and a cone of paralyzing gas. SCS2 scripts her to use them very effectively, alongside wing buffets and melee. Dragons in this mod are always making the best use of time, and would probably be utterly terrifying if I installed the component that allows for instant casting that cannot be interrupted (all of these components sounded extremely unfun, especially the demons/dragons/celestial ones; allowing powerful foes to flaunt tempo rules is a wee bit broken).

Tough fight, but good fun. BG2 already did a good job of making dragons feel like fearsome foes as opposed to the fodder they were in other D&D games (most Gold Box titles and KotC are especially guilty of this) and SCS2 continues in that tradition.

11180.jpg

11181.jpg

Battling through the guardians of the Underdark exit. Adalon typically kills these d00dz for most players, but she came down with a bad case of death and couldn't come into work today. It's a relatively difficult battle with high level casters (one mage can, and does, cast Time Stop) and a lot of beefy bodyguards in the form of demons and golems. Luring them out is far preferable to fighting on a narrow "bridge" where you are gummed up by golems, their mages can drop Sphere of Chaos on you entire party, and the Glabrezu makes ample use of Teleport Without Error to snack on your squishy mages.

11182.jpg

Next comes the much easier sections before the surface.

11183.jpg

Recruiting allies. Normally I'd kill Drizzt, but his party isn't much of a challenge, comparatively speaking, in an SCS2 playthrough. There are no spellcasters so things like Stoneskin, Protection from Magical Weapons, and Blade Barrier effectively shut down all of the group's offense.

Plus, I might need definitely needed his help in the vampire lair.

11184.jpg

North Forest fun time!

Not too long ago, Yuan-Ti Mages used to be very difficult. But when you have access to ample amounts of higher level anti-magic (7th level onward), they're pretty simple.

11185.jpg

Vampiric Mists certainly have a lot of spells when dominated...not that they ever actually use them.

11186.jpg

11187.jpg

11188.jpg

A rumble with a generic enemy party (the cleric is "Priest of Cyric" and the mage is named "Mage"). It's fun, but none to difficult at this stage. Horrid Wilting is really great at taking down mages that don't use Protection From Magic Energy as it bypasses a lot of their defenses and deals immense damage.

11189.jpg

11190.jpg

Killing some Harpers that came after Jaheira. None too difficult.

11191.jpg

Coran's house in the Forest of Tethyr...the mist infestation probably explains why he wasn't inside of it.

11192.jpg

Kuo-Toan ambush inside the Forest of Tethyr cave. It's kind of neat how engaging the ones in the back actually spawns in another group toward the entrance.

11193.jpg

11194.jpg

First use of Call Lightning in the game. Great spell in BG1, where a lot of tougher encounters were outside, but in BG2 it is lackluster due to the dungeoneering focus. If not for that, it would likely be the Druid/Ranger answer to the Cleric/Paladin Holy Smite (which is an outstanding spell; mini-Horrid Wilting with a blindness effect).

11195.jpg

11196.jpg

11197.jpg[

Roenall is easily dispatched, likely because the battle was balanced for a party in Chapter 2 or Chapter 3...not Chapter 6. Plenty of fights with ball-busting difficulty await, so no reason to complain.

11198.jpg

Speaking of which, time to take on the Slave Lords. SCS2 makes their "welcoming party" into less of a joke if the components that boost certain creature types are installed. Improved Genies and Improved Demons are both installed, so that don't roll over nearly as easily as the vanilla version of this fight. As an aside, avoiding the Nishruu's spell-sucking was actually quite difficult; I had to rest afterwards so members of the party weren't without their highest level spells.

11199.jpg

11200.jpg

11201.jpg

Here are some screen from one attempt at the Slave Lords. It went pretty well for the most part. KIlled the thief who enjoyed backstabbing, dropped an Insect Plague as well as some Chaos to mess with their ranks, utilized Web to screw with enemy movement, and dropped an Abi-Dhalzim's Horrid Wilting for good damage.

Everything was going well until the mage cast Time Stop, unleashed a whole bunch of hell, and then cast Time Stop again afterwards, leading to a wipe after a second nuking.

I've never really liked Time Stop...it's a spell that's broken in a system all about doing unbalanced (but fun) things. It's brokenness outshines every other spell and it makes fun broken things into stupidly broken things. No other level nine spell can compare, not even Wish, whose most powerful effects don't always show up when you want/need them. And it magnifies the power of pretty much everything. Contingencies? What's better than stopping time as soon as you see an enemy, so as to rain death upon them? "Spell Haste" (i.e Improved Alacrity) is a cool concept, but utterly bonkers when combining it with Time Stop allows you to empty your entire spellbook virtually unopposed.

The spell was scarcely an issue in vanilla BG2 because enemies didn't make very effective use of it and I had no problem simply not using it (because it ruins a lot of fun). I really hope it doesn't completely dominate endgame encounters in SoA and the entirety of ToB.

11202.jpg

11203.jpg

11204.jpg

An AI (mal)function helped usher in victory. SCS2 AI makes tactical retreats outside of AoE "cloud" spells and avoids triggering Skull Traps, Glyphs of Warding, or Symbols. Apparently, nuking the battlefield with these effects caused both the mage and cleric if the Slave Lords to retreat downstairs, allowing for easy mop-up of the fighters and thieves.

11205.jpg

11206.jpg

Turns out they are much easier to eliminate when not accompanied by their friends. Damage was still sustained, and a Symbol: Fear sperll sent Anomen and Imoen running, but both fell all the same. Celestial Fury and a heapload of generic loot are the rewards.

11207.jpg

This guy seems trustworthy...

11209.jpg

11210.jpg

11211.jpg

Storming Bodhi's compound with a few allies in tow. The knights weren't particularly useful, as they were quickly gibbed by Ancient Vampires and rthe absurd amount of levels they drain on each hit. I don't even think these guys would be useful in vanilla.

Main character is dual-wielding Daystar and either Belm or the Equalizer, using the Amulet of Power to prevent level drain. Anomen is wielding the Improved Mace of Disruption for undead smashing goodness and has a Shield of Harmony to prevent Domination. Everyone else is invisible, as SCS2 vampires have a nasty habit of avoiding those with any sort of Negative Plane Protection and feeding on more vulnerable targets. Viconia can still turn undead while invisible, however Ancient Vampires seem a bit too strong for her.

11212.jpg

11213.jpg

11214.jpg

Drizzt is quite helpful in this fight, not only for his immense amount off damage, but for his superb defensive capabilities. His armor class makes it so that he rarely is hit, magic resistance allows him to shrug off enemy spells/abilities, and he is seemingly immune to level drain.

The Improved Vampires component of SCS2 is rather interesting. It grants vampires additional abilities on top of the ones they had in vanilla BG2, such as summoning abilities, or Constitution stat drain. They also make far better use of their classic ability set, including their invisibility, shapeshifting, and Domination/Charm. All-in-all, they become much more dangerous opponents.

11215.jpg

Dire Wolves are probably the most benign thing they can summon, but even those can gum up the battlefield. Rats and bats are another matter. The rats have surprisingly good THAC0 and inflict a nasty disease. The bats function as an Insect Swarm spell, dealing chip damage and disrupting casting.

11216.jpg

It's not pictured here, but shapeshifting is particularly nasty. Vampires will now strategically shift into harder to hit forms when taking a beating to either facilitate healing or escape. Just as Druids and Mages restore a bit of health whenever they shapeshift, vampires do as well, and the scripting seems aware of this. That's why disrupting weapons, Turn Undead, and anti-Undead magic (like Sunray or False Dawn) are extremely useful.

Vampires are really one of the creatures that SCS2 nailed; they're no longer a joke if you cast Negative Plane Protection, but they don't require a party loaded to the gills with cheese or arcane magic to defeat.

Next update will probably be Bodhi, liches, Firkraag, and Chapter 7.

Essegi

Cipher
Looks like there's an "[" not needed...
Sounds like a fine mod indeed, thanks for sharing!

Gorky17 aka Odium
I played demo back just when it was released... Then i played the whole game last year lol...
I admit that i love that ecodisater trash movie setting/feeling...

ibaCsMjnzKWLSz.png

ibuCVMAde34orl.png

iTedB4NLdg6do.png
ibgElAjYf4IgqJ.png
iVtbOJjGDUAy4.png
iAikAoXhbnSSL.png
iuWo3G1Kwbk38.png
ibeSPsPqCnhSwG.png
iIuNfXuiRoVvN.png
ibzFQ1lbGUMu5K.png

iO1ygUsAmxkg1.png

ibhi5QRbrHACZJ.png

i65lk4K6kT9Yr.png

ibyxhXHBfRqYIC.png

in3L60eUlC1hw.png

iY7dySe0mMYoU.png

i3LknWuI2hyKs.png

iV6t4BLXaUX8Y.png

iX4pzre280NwF.png

iAKXlXmWcFbsD.png

zwanzig_zwoelf

Odium was pretty good. Gotta give it another try someday.
I remember the music was pretty good too, not to mention the babbling of main characters.

Dicking around with the Diablo 1 HD mod. My screenshot button is mapped to the same key that makes your character say 'NOW YOU DIE', btw

fMtqaaN.jpg

XeaE8p2.jpg

Hmm, looks like they've added some new classes...

Wyq6ywi.jpg

:hmmm:

vYUy5Rr.jpg

There's an added private stash and shared stash.

woJ8Q5Z.jpg

Not canon :B

UV9am4R.jpg

SR1JlD6.jpg

Tbb7JV2.jpg

WlMT3qI.jpg

I don't remember D1 having rare items before.

GVb9hxi.jpg

gM41fEn.jpg

What are you doing over here, Wirt?

jRCdo9R.jpg

fuck off wirt

MFydYv7.jpg

ccssBgp.jpg

Not sure if I'm going to continue on with this mod, tbh. The engine tweaks are extremely impresive, the game runs smooth and looks great. Lack of click-and-hold attacking and Alt to see items on the ground are features that make going back to vanilla D1 hard to do now.

If only I could play this mod with a vanilla Diablo 1 ruleset, though. I want my D1 experience pristine, without rare items, crafting or any gameplay tweaks. Oh well.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Would LP some day.
Pity that Gorky series turned from turn based tactical game into stealth games and there was info about new game (return to tactical turn based!) year ago. Still no new info.

Essegi

Cipher
ib1VfykZzzsZ5y.jpg

Just gave a shot at Die By The Sword + Xtended mod...
Once i tried it for the first 2 encounters then never played... Too bad since atmosphere is amazing.

iLrmdtwqlnf3K.jpg

End of tutorial, "advanced training room". Not much problems till here...

ibdtbr2vWJgKaF.jpg

Embarked on the quest at Champion difficulty (suggested one, 2nd hardest out of 4)... Used VSIM mouse controls...

iPTVy23nyNvYt.jpg

Surpassed first enemy...

i6BUJe3EOTn1I.jpg

Second room, an ambush but i made some damages...

iWLDhXL3xf83v.jpg

Whiskey.
Tango.
Foxtrot.
Dead on second room! I wasn't able to control swings...

Retried with keyboard VSIM at knight (2 out of 4 most easy). Surpassed that point (aided by some quick swing buttons).

ibyWAbgK4dGael.jpg

Holy.
Fucking.
Sheeeiiiiiit!!!!!
I admit that i suck at action games but... That's beyond brutal! Hard point and a trap!
Retried many times and always got raped...

Ok, retried at Squire setting (easiest), used joystick VSIM.
Fuck! The game recognizes only left stick (i have x360 pad). Used JoyToKey and keyboard VSIM...

iBaTocsXfbemQ.jpg

Killed that cunt now...

iIdeO8bFZqt2M.jpg

Found that health potion... Nice!

iAa4gOfn0lJV5.jpg

Next room, another one.

i4SAZCuTWt4Bm.jpg

Dispatched then killed other 2 enemies...

Now it's playable, i made first level with reasonable ease (maybe i can dare knight difficulty).

iVepSIfNYMKUq.jpg

Btw got raped at beginning of second level...

Severance is ridiculously easier...

Last edited:

Essegi

Cipher
Severance is ridiculously easier...

Because it's not an entire game running on a gimmick that was never properly fleshed out :smug:
Yeah, deaths were more from me being retarded (with the game being hugely helpful in that) than strong enemies (though i won't say they're so dunb)... Maybe practicing...
DBTS is a fun game. It's also ridiculously ugly, even at the time. :lol:
At least now you expect it. But atmosphere seems badass.:)

Baron Dupek

Arcane
7,62 High Calibre + Blue Sun Mod 2.1 I started to really liking this game. Really like dealing with all that junk, management of ammunition (like making double clips, fun thing for sniper rifles:smug:), cleaning guns.

rp16dyT.jpg

Well, It was good to know you Staszek, you crazy sonuvabeach. Now it's time to die. Nothing personal just.....

vPgvoHw.jpg

You should know that entering to this sector and getting big spawn of warm welcome at the entrance is just another way to say FUCK YOU
Srsly, worst spawn ever

0jH0x63.jpg

Lenin is still alive.

Meanwhile, in the Zone of Soup

rZvdTfb.jpg

I went into dangerous territory (srsly, you can be zombified after some time here and antidote cost fuckton of dosh) and all I got is this Speaker/Box With Button.

V2uh7BL.jpg

Wonder what this thing do

KsvsGl5.jpg

OH GAWD ITS HEAVEN
Actually, no. Artifacts in StalkerSoup are worthless. 100rubles while vanilia one costed 10x more. On the other hand, this give you two things - bartering (like Saiga 12k for two Medusas or Groza assault Rifle for few Stone Flowers) and cooking artifacts, Just put your sorry ass into anomaly, pray for survive and drop required items.

Bonus
8YoMMU4.jpg

:hmmm:

INcSODb.jpg

(blink!)

k7kN4qv.jpg

n8P7MWC.png
Yep, it works.

yellowcake

Arcane
Maybe practicing...

You REALLY NEED to practice combating certain opponents in Arena Mode as you go with the adventure. I got pretty far into the game (before ditching it over a particularly outrageous platforming piece) using mouse VSIM but i spent half the time training and practicing my moves. I would like to go back to it but I'd have to regain all the lost skill.

Boyarpunk

Hey there, fuckface-uh!
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Codex USB, 2014
Jesus H Christ what's the point of exploration on your own anymore if games just friggin' map out the whole world in front of you like your looking at a Google Earth layout with all points of interest marked clearly and neatly for you?

:mob:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Meanwhile, in the Zone of Soup
christ bro turn up the contrast or something

Funny you mention that.
Everytime I launch this mod the Contrast pointer is "magically" glued to my cursor, no matter what I'm doing. It's beta, but still....

And yeah, some megamods with "enchanced" visual have problems with visibility, clarity and else.
Oh, forgot to mention that mod is horribly optimized. There was attack to 100 Rad Bar. Small, only 10 mercenaries. Fighting in 0.2 FPS is not fun.

Coyote

Arcane
swOW01h.jpg

aEqRRg1.jpg

(Didn't realize you could disable the stealth indicator in the config until I was nearly done with the game, otherwise I would have.)

v7nf32f.jpg

KFGHyYV.jpg

P80iQNu.jpg

f9H5oe7.jpg

AsSsyfA.jpg

sW6uEjU.jpg

BxWNCk7.jpg

QTTaKcV.jpg

O5H8vVV.jpg

Hbrhlcd.jpg

28e3ONC.jpg

4wFKOxG.jpg

FXIfO0K.jpg

A2sRAPm.jpg

B52P1AW.jpg

lP8ilPi.jpg

cVvWF3Z.jpg

f4GH80F.jpg

LKT6gQm.jpg

V1iDgVh.jpg

tNB0WY7.jpg

3hbVfcW.jpg

XxGO1GK.jpg

4RDRcKt.jpg

NBBX7Ah.jpg

MGeYXxR.jpg

sIl8jvG.jpg

SvzVBAH.jpg

jwy8Fu4.jpg

Duke03.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom