Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: RPGCodex Predictions (Updated)

Krafter

Scholar
-It will be 3rd person, and in real-time.
-It will be more 'Oblivion with guns' than KOTOR, let alone Fallout.
-Instant travel via World Map
-SPECIAL is there, but destroyed. (No Action Points, ect.)
-Will feature am Aiming system somewhat close to Deus Ex, governed by your skills
-Minigames galore, making skills worthless
-Will be appalingly easy, as if it was designed for 13 year old ADD freaks
-Designed for consoles first, with the PC as an afterthought
-Will have giant fonts and 10 words per page, everything possible will be voiced
-At some point during the hype-train, Tim Cain will re-emerge with a new game 'by the creator of Fallout'
-Will get 9.5+ scores by the 'big' sites and win RPG of the year
-It will not sell any where near Oblivion and be a mild disappointment, $$$-wise
-It will feature ridiculous amounts of downloadable 'content' and have a full expansion
-Fallout 4 will be even worse. Trust me.
-The Codex and NMA will create a shitstorm we can tell our grandkids about
-Someone will get arrested.

MisterStone

Arcane
Joe Krow said:
I used to lock my little brother in the closet when my friends would come over. I'm sure he said all kinds of witty things while he was in there but no one heard him. When I let him out I would feel kind of bad but he was just so annoying. Anyway, that is what's happening here.

That little boy was actually you, wasn't it Joe? Shh... it's OK... it's OK... calm down. You're safe here. You can share with us.

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Ok, here's my bile:

Utterly linear plot with lots of spacebar pressing as a "dialogue", some cosmetical choices and useless options that will produce the same outcome.
They'll transform the complete plot flow and quests into following directions, like they did with their ES.

Poor writing, lots of adolescent humor and unfunny jokes. Cliche galore.

Transformed into a fully blown Action/RPG. Pure FPS aiming with *twist* your stats magically adding to your maximum damage. Of a gun.
Tons of mandatory combat. Cool frags.

SPECIAL retardiated into an action variant with cool maximize/reduce damage perks. Science, social and other non-combat skills will be used rarely. Also, you'll always be able to "invest" 7 bottlecaps instead of using a skill and find a correct tool right next to the "puzzle".

Raped setting with KEWL 90s and 2K stuff like deflector shields, personal cloaks and creatures with supernatural powahz,

Primarily an Xbrick game, so no PC interface and lots of hand-holding and popular gimmicks to cater to the lowest common denominator, Too easy.

FO's interesting drug/stim system with side effects and addiction will be gone completely. Expect standard healing potions.

Game world shrunk into a single city, using the LOADING engine.

Riddled with many weird design decisions that will add and multiply into a shitfest - so, again, some folks will ask themselves if FO3 is even an RPG.

I thought Bethesda developers got special tags on this forum

Stalagmite

Scholar
Well, I know the game will get shitty scores if it turns out to be a cross between 'trying to please the Fallout fans' and 'Trying to please what current gamers want'

The Fallout fans will think it's too dumbed down and 'TUe Much BIhG GraFiKKy' and the Young gamers will think it's not hack n' slash enough.

There probalby is a happy medium that will get the good scores but it will take mega-geniuses (something Bethesda has proved they are not) to execute this concept properly. If they for sure can't handle this happy medium then you can only assume once again:

Oblivion with guns.

mathboy

Liturgist
Joe Krow said:
I used to lock my little brother in the closet when my friends would come over. I'm sure he said all kinds of witty things while he was in there but no one heard him. When I let him out I would feel kind of bad but he was just so annoying. Anyway, that is what's happening here.
It's great to have you here in the closet with us. Then we know that someone is at least listening to our witty things.

Joe Krow

Erudite
Blah. Blah. Turnbased. Blah. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Blah. Blah. Blah. Todd Howard. Blazablah.

Yes. You will hate it.

Since you know that already, why not show a little sense and let it go?

Did I miss the point? What is the point?

suibhne

Erudite
Troll. Troll. Turnbased. Troll. S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Troll. Troll. Troll. Todd Howard. Trollytroll.

Stalagmite

Scholar
I see you translator device is working better than mine, suibhne. I can't even read to the level of retardness this little puke is spitting out constantly.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
JarlFrank said:
GhanBuriGhan said:
Predictions:
- Zoomable camera from isometric to 3rd person, optional first person.
- Realtime with pause gameplay, adjustable to wego with autopause. More KOTOR than Oblivion w. guns

I thought I read somewhere that pete already said they're going to "do what they are good at", and he said that this is real time combat in first/third person perspective in the style of Morrowind/Oblivion.

If I remember correctly that was in an interview within a few weeks after they announced the purchase of the IP. Meaning they were at best in the earliest stages of pre-production at that time. Since I lack psychic powers I may obviously be wrong, but the only thing I interpret as pretty certain from that comment is that they will use the Gamebryo technology they are familar with, and will probably offer other camera views than only isometric. And gamebryo is very capable of all kinds of perspectives - e.g. Pirates, Civ4, and Freedom Force all use Gamebryo. I predict that FO3 will probably not be what the Codex or NMA want, but I also think the Oblivion wiht guns formula is too simple as a prediction for what FO3 will be.

Section8

Cipher
I predict that Fallout 3 will be a curious blend of inoffensive gameplay and "offensive" humour that makes Postal 2 look cultured. Here's hoping it winds up in the same boat as BMX XXX, where anyone who finds it amusing can't legally buy it, nor convince their parents to buy it for them, and anyone old enough to buy it either knows better, or is too embarassed to front up to a shop counter with it.

Although my ultimate fantasy involves setting Jack Thompson and friends on Bethesda, watching Zenimax bow to their will, and then having Penny Arcade et al label Bethesda as the enemy of gamers.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I think F3 will include a very, very scripted quest right at the beginning of the game which will be a (slight) bit more interesting than the others.

Think Fargoth.

franc kaos

Liturgist
Krafter said:
-SPECIAL is there, but destroyed. (No Action Points, etc.)
[jk] Of course it will have action points. The longer you hold the console trigger down the more action points will accrue and the more devastating will be the shot when you release it.[/jk]

Turn based would be commercial suicide (and can the 360 even handle that).
The level scaling and RAI will be somewhat fixed.
No mix 'n matching of voiced dialogue will be vastly improved, (no mutants suddenly sounding like a rich noble - er, clan leader).
First person with a third person option (but no aiming reticule).

They appear to be locked into some kind of lifelong commitment ceremony with Gamebry so yea, Loading messages.

Hopefully, no Speedtree, so the game should run a lot better, however, since they appear to not have heard about LOD expect popup until the modders fix it. Ditto with the console interface (I'm guessing the reason for this is that every dev got a 360 as a bonus so no one's actually even testing out the PC version).

The world will be static but 10% of the quests will have multiple ways of solving them so they can say the player has choice in how to complete many of the quests, (luckily 'many' is not a quantifiable amount).

The city is going to look fucking amazing with lots of things to kill, whilst the wastelands will look like flat yellow grasslands with lots of things to kill. The caves... er, underground bunkers, will have three different tilesets and contain lots of things- well, I'm sure you can work it out. (oh for one cave and an intelligent goblin who needs help).

The sky will look brilliant with all types of weather / lighting effects, but once inside a building, day or night, the same muted lighting will shine thru and you will not be able to see out.

Gameplay: Oblivion with guns 'n swords, 'women of the night' and little to no (or green) blood. The big bad is trying to take over and you will stop him - or, the water chip has broken again - or:

The people of your vault have come out into the world - eyes blinking, scared; and you must become leader of the clan, protect their fledgling community and make peace / war with neighbouring enclaves, ensuring the safety, growth and prosperity of your people. Bring together (or destroy) the scattered disparate groups of people around the wasteland (and city) and bring forth into this new world a stable and functioning government.

Zomg

Arbiter
Section8 said:
I predict that Fallout 3 will be a curious blend of inoffensive gameplay and "offensive" humour that makes Postal 2 look cultured. Here's hoping it winds up in the same boat as BMX XXX, where anyone who finds it amusing can't legally buy it, nor convince their parents to buy it for them, and anyone old enough to buy it either knows better, or is too embarassed to front up to a shop counter with it.

Although my ultimate fantasy involves setting Jack Thompson and friends on Bethesda, watching Zenimax bow to their will, and then having Penny Arcade et al label Bethesda as the enemy of gamers.

Ooh, I like disaster narrative predictions. I'm still holding out a slim hope that the entire industry will jackknife somehow because of MMORPG backlash.

Ladonna

Arcane
I predict something along the lines of what two 14 year old boys, after playing Fallout2, come up with in a late night session of 'Wouldn't it be cool...hehehe'.

Oh, one concession. No actual sex. This will be provided for the 'You Role play in your head!' crew to fill in after you give the hooker/gigalo your 100 sept....um....caps/'Gold Coins' and the screen goes blank for half a second.

14 year old boys would have 'sex' as the first thing in.

Radscorpians. I am so waiting for a screenshot of the new and improved RS's.

Oh, I also predict that any dialogue will be short, shit and to the point. Why? Fully voice acted crap. Forget having characters with lots to say and multiple pathways opened through dialogue. Isn't going to happen.

Voice acting. Looks nice on paper. Can even sound nice now and again, but if you want to provide plenty of characters, with lots to say, and use them as quest connectors; Forget it.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Fully voice acted is only practicable with completely open-ended games (no plot, generic NPCs) or games with a single main plot and a few possible 'side-branches'.

The decision to have real-time conversations (watch the NPC's lips move) in Oblivion reduced the amount of dialog content on the whole - having non-VA'd dialog would break 'immersion' so it mus all VA'd.

Even without VA they wouldn't have made an effort anyway. The bulk of the dialog in Morrowind was also concentrated in a couple of dozen main quest-characters.

Prediction: amount of non-MP dialog will be low, repetitive and unimaginative. Most of the dialog content will be quest-related - recieving quests and saying you've completed them to get your reward. The rest will be Random Rumor Generator (3R ®) stuff. You won't have conversations just for pure roleplaying or conversation of just minor consequence - minor items, small XP rewards, karma shifts - which the original Fallout had quite a lot of and helped build atmosphere.

Joe Krow

Erudite
If you wan to kick it up a notch, predict what the "mainstream" gaming sites will have to say...

"A Fall Out for the NexGen."

"We didn't think Oblivion could be topped... then we played Fall Out 3."

"Takes the series in an exciting new direction."

"Oblivion with guns? Genius!"

"$3,000 for a 9, $5000 for a 10."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom