Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout 3: RPGCodex Predictions (Updated)

Stalagmite

Scholar
I think the vault Citizens should wear green suits instead of blue suits because Master Cheif wears green and Master Chief is cool. Also, I think the main bad guy should have been friends with the protagonist at one point and you could have flashbacks, you know, like FF7. I thiink that would be pretty cool.

www.tubgirl.com

bonch

Educated
20 square miles of empty desert surrounding an interior cell that is the city (gotta fit those Xbox 360 memory requirements). Major shrinkage of scale so that you can stand on one hill and see another hill on the other side of the map and make believe you're in a "next-gen" environment. Nuclear-symbol-themed pie chart minigames. Fast travel with no random encounters. A magic McCompass to tell you where everyone's at, along with some bullshit explanation to appease Oblivion critics (everyone in the future has implanted ID tags and it's just a "tag detector" device!). No location damage, because how could Xbox gamers aim in real-time with their little joysticks?

Don't forget Xbox Live multiplayer to compete with Halo 3. Post-apocalyptic deathmatch with bloody mess!

gc051360

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
Heh, "choices get in the way of freedom." Now that is a sig-worthy quote

I am pretty sure that is Bethesda's motto.

Oh...and physics engines, even though nobody ever explained to me why acceleration due to gravity somehow isn't present. That's day one of physics class.

franc kaos

Liturgist
I seem to recall in some interview, Bethesda saying they were buying a motion capture system, so I think their animation will finally be as good as everyone elses (at least for two legged creatures).

I think they will fix the awful level scaling to be somewhat more akin to Morrowind.

They will have monster infighting like Biosh- Doom - (Oblivion actually had this but very rarely, as the different factions were never in the same area. This was fixed in a spectacular way by MMM - Martigens monster mod).

No location based damage unless they introduce some kind of RTwP for the 360 (unlikely but I guess not impossible).

No deformable scenery (they've not been able to do that since Arena), and probably no climbing ('curved walls are too hard and looks stupid in third person' - never mind that most of their third person anims looked stupid).

No companions.

I think they will introduce more choices in mission completion but probably no long term consequences.

Their implementation of physics in Oblivion was abysmal - a gimmick at best, let's pray they've learnt how to utilize it properly.

Journeyman

Novice
Freedom equals boundaries. It's when you have unlimited boundaries then the game kicks ass.

Some people think having no boundaries equals freedom. i hate that. Boundaries are obviously really important in gaming.

stargelman

Scholar
Great AI. So great they'll have to tone it down, otherwise the game would play itself, without you. That's how great it's going to be. RadiationAI!

AI, the best substitute for everything else. Now with extra witty inter-NPC dialog.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingston said:
They're gonna rename RadiantAI to RadioactiveAI, I really think they will.

EDIT: Oh nvm someone already said it

Radiated AI fits so much better I think. The NPCs all behave like their brains have been radiated, anyways.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
Lord Chambers said:
1. At the moment I agree that the world is likely to be continuous. I think Bethesda prizes exploration too much to have a separate travel screen and random encounters like in Fallout. I doubt the world will be infested like Oblivion, where you can't jump over a log without falling over a dungeon, but I do think the setting lends itself to having weird/cool stuff out in the wastes and off the maps, like raider camps, city ruins, and abandoned vaults. I believe that they will likely try to take on the geographic span of the game, that is, hundreds of miles of Southern California, instead of the comparatively claustrophobic Cyrodiil, but at the moment I don't see how they'll fill in all that space, since I believe they'll let you First Person foot it across. Maybe you get a humm-vee or something.

2. Combat will be realtime. However, you will have a wide aiming recital that represents your accuracy. This way players will aim with their own skill, but your actual ability to hit will be determined with player skill. The visible wideness of the recital is important to prevent frustration like apparently players felt when "hitting" things with their swords in Morrowind. They need to understand and see why they miss. I doubt that your firearm skills will determine damage as they do in Oblivion, though melee weapon skills will. Since there isn't an easy visual means for conveying why you miss in first person melee, the developers probably won't let you.

4. The plot will consist not of a single quest like to recover a chip or GECK, but to make something of yourself in the post-apocalyptic world. There will be no strong, unifying, central narrative. You will have post-apoc-equivalent guilds to join, quests(missions) to take, and ranks to rise. Interestingly, the post-apoc setting justifies the kind of go-anywhere, kill-stuff-for-loot gameplay than a medieval fantasy world. And since Bethesda "knows what [they're] good at" they'll stick to that formula, rather than go a more Bioware route.

The things I question are whether you will have NPC companions. If combat is realtime, will you have any means of controlling them, such as giving them a strategy before combat? If it is phased then I bet it will be like Mass Effect, where you're able to switch control to another character and plot his actions, then resume play. But since I think combat will be straight-forward realtime, perhaps they'll make the horrendous decision to not let you pick up party members. Instead, they'll probably let you have NPC companions, but implement their AI so horribly as to render them nothing more than useless bullet shields or sources of humor. They will be so dumb and useless in combat that boards will be filled with criticism of the terrible AI. "Ian keeps trying to knife the deathclaws why?!11" "Sally keeps hitting me with her throwing knives." "Dog keeps humping my leg lol." Oops, did my cynicism slip out?

1. You are wrong in all but the first sentence. They have already said it will be in a single city, and I don't know why you would possibly believe the rest of that.

2. Wrong aside from the first sentence. You are certainly optinistic but I would be shocked if they did even a deus ex level of rpgness.

4. Why would you think this? That goes against everything they have ever done. It is bound to be "The supermutants are invading!" or something similarly retarded.

5. There will be no companions in your party. It's a first person real time game ffs. Why would you possibly think they would add companions or complexity of any kind?

denizsi

Arcane
I seem to recall in some interview, Bethesda saying they were buying a motion capture system, so I think their animation will finally be as good as everyone elses (at least for two legged creatures).

I also remember this, but I still believe they will suck anyway. The guy/girl who did the horse animations was so insistent at ESF about it being accurate -there is even a video with real horses in the CE "making of" disk- they simply don't seem to be able to see through their own mistakes. Horses walked, ran and jumped like crippled creatures in Oblivion. In general, they also don't seem to be competent programmers, modellers and animators. Animations will suck yet again, and this time, the excuse will be "Since this was our first experience with our own MoCap, we had technical problems, setting things up, getting used to the new method, so we understandably had problems due to this, but even so, we think we did an excellent job".

Their implementation of physics in Oblivion was abysmal - a gimmick at best, let's pray they've learnt how to utilize it properly.

This time: RadiantPhysics!! Physics system was so realistic and complicated, we had to tone it down. Otherwise the also toned-down RadioactiveAI couldn't figure out how to interact with the complex real world physics.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
denizsi said:

I also remember this, but I still believe they will suck anyway. The guy/girl who did the horse animations was so insistent at ESF about it being accurate -there is even a video with real horses in the CE "making of" disk- they simply don't seem to be able to see through their own mistakes. Horses walked, ran and jumped like crippled creatures in Oblivion. In general, they also don't seem to be competent programmers, modellers and animators. Animations will suck yet again, and this time, the excuse will be "Since this was our first experience with our own MoCap, we had technical problems, setting things up, getting used to the new method, so we understandably had problems due to this, but even so, we think we did an excellent job".

This time: RadiantPhysics!! Physics system was so realistic and complicated, we had to tone it down. Otherwise the also toned-down RadioactiveAI couldn't figure out how to interact with the complex real world physics.

They really do just seem incompetent all around. With the resources that they pumped into that piece of shit should at least *look* superb.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Well, lets see who was right.

I wasn't very accurate. But not as full of shit as others. What's new.

franc kaos

Liturgist
franc kaos said:
1) I seem to recall in some interview, Bethesda saying they were buying a motion capture system,
2) I think they will fix the awful level scaling to be somewhat more akin to Morrowind.
3) They will have monster infighting
4) No location based damage unless they introduce some kind of RTwP for the 360 (unlikely but I guess not impossible).
5) No deformable scenery (they've not been able to do that since Arena),
6) No companions.
7) I think they will introduce more choices in mission completion but probably no long term consequences.
8) Their implementation of physics in Oblivion was abysmal - a gimmick at best, let's pray they've learnt how to utilize it properly.

No MoCap, and VATs instead of RTwP, and they did include companions, but the rest was close. I predict TES 5 will be better still, with more C&C, better animation (a lot of reviews have mentioned the abysmal animation in F3), more political plotline with inter faction fighting but still no deformable scenery.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Re: Well, lets see who was right.

Lord Chambers said:
I wasn't very accurate. But not as full of shit as others. What's new.
Great idea to have bumped this back up, I'd forgotten all about it.

I think I wasn't totally full of shit, I kept my predictions fairly limited. Didn't predict VATS and the guns have been left pretty much in the same major categories.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom