Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If only there was a sequel to Another World

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I wish they made a proper sequel to the Another World games.
Fucking awesome game. Heart of the Alien was Ok, but didn't feel like a proper sequel always.
Though the ending of the bad guy yelling at the good guy to bring on the beastie and then fighting it to the death willingly was fucking awesome.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
But they did, Major_Blackhart. It's called Heart of Darkness and it's hard as fuck, and ridiculously gruesome for a kid's game. (Goddamn worms breaking your neck...)

I think it's on the PC and the Super Nintendo.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Another World was awesome, but I don't think it needed a sequel and I hope nobody will make a half-assed remake of it (like the new Flashback game). I remember Flashback was considered a sequel to Another World by some when it came out, pirates even labeled it Another World 2. Heart of the Alien was underwhelming. The atmosphere felt somewhat watered down and there was something wrong with the control responsiveness or maybe it was just the emulator.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
PS1, it was released in 98 and SNES couldn't possibly handle it. If you its the minimalism of the original you're looking for, HoD doesn't deliver as it's a CD game with FMV cutscenes and an orchestrated soundtrack. However if you miss the feeling of being in an alien world that you get at the start of Another World, Heart of Darkness does that brilliantly. Though the Oddworld games from the same era are better cinematic platformers.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Heart of Darkness has very cool gameplay and atmosphere. I think it's like a "kid" version of Another World. Much more arcade-y with more platforming. And what is it with Eric Chahi and ginger protagonists? I really like that somewhat realistic adventure/platformer genre. I wish there were more games like that.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Well there's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oddworld:_New_'n'_Tasty! coming up. I too would like to see more games like this, but I guess there aren't many of them because all cinematic platformers are quite heavy on trial and error, and the earlier games don't have that responsive controls on top of that so many deem them as frustrating. And they are more about problem solving then straight up platforming so the pacing seems slow compared to other platformers. In most platformers you can just enjoy the gameplay and you're allowed to screw around, where as in these type of games the design is very linear, there's one route/way to progress and you'll keep on dying untill you figure it out, where as a skilled player can react to environmental hazards, enemy patterns etc and succeed on the first try with out memorizing the correct route/pattern first in more free form&traditional platformers.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Figuring out how to solve frustrating, linear puzzle/platforming sections has a lot of charm to me. But there's always room for improvement and innovation. A game with Flashback-like controls and realistic character moves but with a less linear design, more exploration-oriented, puzzles/situations that can have multiple solutions, maybe more complex combat - that could be something cool.

AngryKobold

Arcane
I wish they made a proper sequel to the Another World games.
Fucking awesome game. Heart of the Alien was Ok, but didn't feel like a proper sequel always.
Though the ending of the bad guy yelling at the good guy to bring on the beastie and then fighting it to the death willingly was fucking awesome.

Once I played Another World for days. Screaming from rage, for the developers chose one of the most unnerving progress system. One password per long scene, "learning through dying", "dying often trying".
At the same time it was fun. Sort of. Memorable moments and satisfaction after finally finishing a hellish sequence, like the underground section.

Heart of Alien was to Another World nothing but a streamlined popamole. In Heart of Alien, Lester died for the sake of game; so it's never gonna be exploited over and over again by equivalent of EA; be never turned into popamole next- gen date sim for homos. Respect this sacrifice FFS. Conrad Hart (Flashback) hadn't this luck. Even though he was put into hibernation for unending drift through space, he did not managed to escape a nasty fate.

To be placed in this nightmare of early 3D games:

fade-to-black.png

We really lost nothing of value.

The world of Another World was worthless rubbish. One trick pony. Basically an anime approach to world creation. Things looking cool and "alien" with almost none of context, explaination. In particular, things shown in Heart of Alien. It didn't make any sense. Really. A laser whip... slave raids to villages NEXT TO the City (they didn't pay taxes or what?)... stinking little village next to city full of tanks and sci- fi energy devices... just what the fuck.

Yet the all unclear points fit Another World. It was clearly an one- shot game. Imagination could fill the gaps. Also, the player was too focused on not dying... and making those all jumping in underground cave, with one pixel precision. Sweet raptor Jesus, how I hated this underground lake.

There's no need for any Another World sequel. Just for any demanding game of long dead genre: action- adventure 2D platformer.

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Another World is a timeless example of wonderfully fresh design. It's gameplay, story and visuals take you on a journey like no other, before or since.

It's short, it's challenging, but not frustrating, it's never stale or predictable. It's awesome. It's one of the very, very few great games that lack any significant flaws (there are plenty of good flawless ones).

Making a sequel that could achieve the same thing would be nearly impossible. It's obviously not about the setting, or platforming mechanics, as was proven by Heart of the Alien. It's about making a masterpiece.

The sequel to Another World shall come in the form that is not expected :ziets:

Last edited:

AngryKobold

Arcane
World creation in AW sucked hard, but there's also something amazing. Something I'm gonna remember for the rest of the life. Also, cloned with no mercy over several other games.

LAZORS!

Energy weapons charning the target to burned skeleton, slowly falling apart. Able to make shield (that's actually dumb; what were they thinking!) and a beam disintegrating everything on its way. Beautiful. Would place it at 1st on my list of memorable game weapons, no second thought. A brilliant idea of tool to spread death and destruction. Dreadful weapon making insta- kill of anything made of carbon, able to NO SURPRISE blow up enormous tank when you thought you're finally able to bite back.

The shield part was dumb, it's better thought in Flashback. But even the dumbest thing cannot hinder the sheer awesomeness of Another World laser.

If I ever make a game with proper place for it, there will be an AW pistol.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I liked how cryptic the setting of AW(the original game not the sequel) was, the game didn't tell you much and you could only suspect what's going on there. It really helped to create the feeling of an alien world. Modern AW would probably have the aliens talking in english and everyting spelled out for the player down to every nuance of the alien culture. I imagined the aliens had some kind of commie-like government and the prisoners slaving away in the mines and fighting in the arena were some kind of dissidents. But maybe it was different, maybe they just had a harsh justice system and your firend was a a murderer awaiting to pay his debt to society...
Yeah, the laser weapons were cool. I was also was impressed by the violence combined with how easy you could die in this game. Maybe it wasn't so violent compared to some other games, but it seemed "real" and there wasn't anything too cartoonish about it.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
My favorite of those games is probably Flashback. I was too young for Another World and Heart of Darkness is honestly too difficult and frustrating (I'm serious!). Flashback hits that sweet spot where it all feels tight and well put-together.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
and Heart of Darkness is honestly too difficult and frustrating

Heh, I found Flashback to be the more difficult one.

You should give HoD another try, it's good shit.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
It's not too bad 'cause it's short and there's all those restore points, but the individual screens in disk 2 get brutal with those worms and armies of shadows. It's faster to beat than Flashback though, since you have infinite lives. Flashback requires a lot of, I dunno, experimenting on your first time through. I know that game like the back of my hand, though; I played both the SNES and the PC version like a dozen times total. That game would probably be still fun today - I remember fondly the ridiculously fluid animations and excellently tight movement. (And that hard as fuck jump at the start of the first city stage...)

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It is also interesting to read the history of Another World. Eric Chahi developed everything on his own, working a year in his garage.

Beautiful, timeless calssic. It has also had a lot of influence on other games, with its text-less storytelling integrated in the game.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is also OnEscapee, it was recommended by ghostdog and/or sco. It was a nice game, although some segments can be confusing. Originally only on Amiga, but later the creators made port for PC.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Yet another classic that beat you into submission eh?
My favorite of those games is probably Flashback. I was too young for Another World and Heart of Darkness is honestly too difficult and frustrating (I'm serious!). Flashback hits that sweet spot where it all feels tight and well put-together.
_-Oddworld-Abes-Exoddus-PlayStation-_.jpg

Has a built in quick save (though requires more flawless execution of different segments as a result) and has the most gorgeous backgrounds out of all of these games. Can't remember though which has better level/puzzle design and audio, Oddysee or Exoddus.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I never got very far in AW (I think it was on one of the elevator puzzles (blasted quick-time events)), but I did finish HoD. I remember being really impressed with the art style and some the non-standard gameplay such as being able the swing from the vine in the beginning and getting "rescued" by the hooded figures (in that case, the laser was set to stun rather than disintegrate).

Last edited:

DefJam101

Arcane
The laser gun in Another World is the coolest fucking gun in any videogame

Also people who think AW was too difficult because of "trial-and-error" must have goddamn awful problem solving skills. Wonder how they get by

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The laser gun in Another World is the coolest fucking gun in any videogame

Also people who think AW was too difficult because of "trial-and-error" must have goddamn awful problem solving skills. Wonder how they get by
Please, educate us about how enemies popping up in unpredictable places and absolute random traps has anything to do with problem solving skills.

Do you consider the game of Simon a problem solving one? Another World is just a glorified version gameplay-wise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom