Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Risen 3: Titan Lords has a luscious new trailer

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wonder how many people from the original team responsible for Gothic 1 and 2 are still involved in making this game. So what its made by Piranha Bytes!? That means shit is they're scattered in the wind.

The real enjoyment I have from a game these days (because I am an old fuck that's not impressionable anymore) is from a game that gives me a beating. Searching for solutions and tactics to resolve a situation is the real treat.
That's why Divinity: Original Sin proved to be a failure for me in the end because the combat was so boring/easy.
Also Risen 3 its seems will have a crafting interface that D: OS proved to be atrocious at.

Gothic 1 combat proved to be great because Gothic 1 should have been a console only game but it was ported to PC instead. That's why no mouse support whatsoever, which proved to be a great thing for combat - keys only swinging the weapon, timing and reflexes being important. Imagine that! A console game that was "badly" ported but proved to be its greatest asset.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I would call Risen 1 'good.' Shocking, I know.
Not that shocking, since that's what surprisingly many people think. Even here on the Codex it seems.
For me it wasn't good, because yes, the mechanics and everything were kinda Gothic-ish (which is a good thing), but the total lack of atmosphere, good story, interesting setting and memorable characters made it a really mediocre experience for me.
It was a bit generic. Or, rather, the setting/story/characters were an amalgam of Gothics 1 and 2 so it felt recycled.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Or, rather, the setting/story/characters were an amalgam of Gothics 1 and 2 so it felt recycled.
I totally disagree!
What was a G1/G2 amalgam was the mechanics, combat and exploration. So mechanics, combat and exploration might have felt a bit recycled (even though I liked that aspects most about Risen).
Story and characters didn't resemble G1 or G2 at all, let alone the setting! I remember many chars from esp. G1, I remember none from Risen except the Inquisitor. I get nerdgasms just thinking about how G's atmosphere made me feel. I feel tired thinking about that uber-coloured slightly comic-ish but still pale world of Risen. The setting... Gothic's setting was something really special: the prison-aspect, the magical barrier, the (still very deep) simplicity (three Gods, three kinds of magic, three camps etc.) - great! Risen? I don't even remember what it was about. Some islands, Aztec stuff, and the Inquisitor. That's about it.

I might sound like I really hate Risen. That's not the case. It was kinda boring-but-okay. It of course was way better than Risen 2. But after the Gothic-series (yes, even Gothic 3) i was really disappointed PB could make such an uninspired game, setting- and story-wise.

Drowed

Arcane
Eh, fighting seems to be tolerable. If the game has good exploration and the factions are interesting enough, I imagine that the game will be okay-ish.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I would call Risen 1 'good.' Shocking, I know.
Not that shocking, since that's what surprisingly many people think. Even here on the Codex it seems.
For me it wasn't good, because yes, the mechanics and everything were kinda Gothic-ish (which is a good thing), but the total lack of atmosphere, good story, interesting setting and memorable characters made it a really mediocre experience for me.

I go even further, for me Risen 1 is almost as good as G1/G2. The setting worked for me just fine and the melee combat mechanics is the best of all PB games, maybe the best I've ever played in any action game. (didn't try magic but heard it sucks though). Plus at the time it came out it looked jaw-droppingly amazing.

The only thing it is doing objectively worse than both Gothics is the plot, which is even more retarded than the G2 one, and the quests which are a lot less interesting. But all in all I remember Risen pretty much just as fondly as the Gothics.

Thane Solus

Arcane
they launch on 3 platforms on the same day, which begs the questions, does the version for consolez is a port from PC adapted to consoles, or the whole design was made with the consoles in mind, which makes Their Back To Roots impossbilru...

:hearnoevil:

Tigranes

Arcane
G2 was G1 recycled, every PB game has recycled the same wuests, monsters, etc. Doesn't stop some of them being excellent.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Story and characters didn't resemble G1 or G2 at all, let alone the setting! .

Let's see, you had three factions: the bandits (Lee's faction), the Order (oh hey, city guard/paladins), and the mages (oh hey, Inquisitor's mages... who coincidentally formerly worshiped a god of fire!). Come on Baron Von Flukelestein.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Good video but no encumbrance/inventory limit? I hate that shit. Where the FUCK is the C&C?

tindrli

Arcane
i was totally dissapointed with first trailer dialogue the one on 2:23 . i mean narration for some reason is just not right. the short dialog when the guy mention mages is done llike 4 th grade movie, which is not always a bad thing except when you see that the rest of the stuff is not meant to bi like 4 th grade movie. English is not my native and as you can all see i cant even write 2 sentence without any typo but you just cant say it like that .. i mean no one would say it like that.. or maybe just used to read too much codex LP-s which are IMHO masterpeaces compared whit this crap

i wonder is really that hard to make proper ingame dialogue, choose right sentence which makes you feel the game, get into and all shit....

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Good video but no encumbrance/inventory limit?"

No PB game has ever had this and it's one of the few things they do right.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nobody mentioned VOODOO PIRATES yet?
Better than tribals and better than regular pirates.

Pretty stupid if the faction is actually called Voodoo Pirates tho.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
they launch on 3 platforms on the same day, which begs the questions, does the version for consolez is a port from PC adapted to consoles, or the whole design was made with the consoles in mind, which makes Their Back To Roots impossbilru...

:hearnoevil:
The ui shown in the video is very much a controller centric design

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Nobody mentioned VOODOO PIRATES yet?
Better than tribals and better than regular pirates.

Pretty stupid if the faction is actually called Voodoo Pirates tho.

The main character is responsible for that kinda. If you remember Risen 2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom