Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[LP CYOA] 傳

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It is hard to argue that they will find the likely outcome of A desireable, even though they can be persuaded that way.

We aren't 'forcing' them, but to use one's naivety and perplexity in such a manner is not much better.

If we want to keep them, we might want to think ahead and consider what they will think about this whole affair after a week, when the dust settles.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't think E is going to do us any good. With the girls confused like this, they will probably wish that they could just pretend nothing happened, which is an option, but a bad one.

Adjusting my vote into A>D>F

A is throwing them under the bus, definitely.
No, it's not.
“We want to make him realize that he is wrong about what he is doing,” says Shuixian firmly.

“We don’t really know how to do that, however,” her sister admits, a second later.

“There are three paths for you that I can think of,” says Qilin. “Firstly, you can denounce your mother’s misdeeds in public when your father comes for you.”
A is still in line with their wishes.

Remember, if the twins did possess information that could destroy Madam Nie's position in public, why would she have let them go without a fight?
You're joking, right? They were willing to kill Jing and subdue the twins by force. The only reason the fight didn't happen at the end is because it wouldn't serve their purposes. In the first case, there is no guarantee those two could win. We have a huge number of ridiculously competent fighters in our crew (Yunzi, Armaiti, Yifang, Song Lingshu, even Cao'er and Qilin have a number of nasty tricks up their sleeves). While they could likely kill some of our crew, I'm not so sure they could actually win that fight. In the second case, even if they won, Shaolin, Emei, and Wudang would all be very pissed at them, plus they would make an enemy out of Zhang Jue if Jing died, plus the Fire Cult would be pissed if shit happened to their Holy Maiden, and the Emperor himself is likely to put them on his personal shitlist.

Fighting was not a good option for them, even if they could win. If they could quietly make us disappear, though, they would've done that, but once we met up with our crew that was no longer a possibility.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Nevertheless, I think Madam Nie would risk a fight if she thought the Twins getting away would ruin her. As it is, the most we could hope for is that they inconvenience her, and that was not something worth risking her life for.

The Twins' wish is not just to expose their stepmother, but for their father to 'see the light' and reverse course. While A arguably succeeds in the first goal, it falls flat on its face where the second one is concerned. They think their father is a noble man who is being deceived, and if they fling enough dirt at Madam Nie, he would become disgusted and distance himself from her. Well, I hate to break it to them, but I am almost certain that Nie Wuxing is firmly in cahoots with Madam Nie (hell, he is subservient to her), and we can not offer them a simple way to amend that. All they would achieve is to annoy and anger him, and bring shame on their parents and themselves without really doing much to stop them.

I doubt this is what they wish for.

What we can do for them is to carefully help them open their eyes to the truth. The process is going to be slow and painful, but you can't start a treatment without realizing first what kind of desease you are dealing with. There is no 'miracle solution' that would work for them, I am afraid.

This is why I don't trust them with their own judgement just yet. They are almost blind to what is happening around them. They think that with their 'mother' gone, all of their problems would be solved. But their mother is hardly the cause of the rot that is affecting the country and jianghu, though she contributes a lot to it.

Last edited:

Elfberserker

Liturgist
Hmmm...I think I am going to gamble and vote for B.

Right now we could add another potential ally in Hueshan. A Ally that which no doubt would be closely watched in near future by Madam Nie, but then again Bai Jiutian also has her close attention.
I do not believe that Twins will come to bodily harm and I believe that with some sort of goal madam Nie manipulation will has less effect than normal. Furthermore I do not think that Bai Jiutian ask any outrageous price for looking out for twins....At most likely a favor for favor sort of deal and not necessity another WSQ technique update.

I think at the most the worst thing they get is load of manipulation from Madam Nie and bit of angry yelling from Nie Wuxing, but with clear in their mind I believe they can defend themself somewhat from that sort of attack....And perhaps we can work together at appropriate time.

Nevill

Arcane
Right now we could add another potential ally in Hueshan. A Ally that which no doubt would be closely watched in near future by Madam Nie, but then again Bai Jiutian also has her close attention.
I do not believe that Twins will come to bodily harm and I believe that with some sort of goal madam Nie manipulation will has less effect than normal.
Keep in mind, though, that Madam Nie has a tongue that could turn Qilin, our almost-wife and our True Love (TM) against us (as was disclosed after we didn't let her go to spy on her mother - or am I remembering incorrectly?), and the Twins are not even our allies. They are still wary of us - hell, just an hour ago they were worried we lured them out to molest them.

They also want to believe in their illusions, so they are likely to accept the explanation Madam Nie promised them if it comes out of the mouth of their father. I am sure that with enough sophistics thrown at them they can be led to believe the actions of their parents are justified.

They are much easier to mold into our enemies, is what I am saying.

Furthermore I do not think that Bai Jiutian ask any outrageous price for looking out for twins....At most likely a favor for favor sort of deal and not necessity another WSQ technique update.
Oh, rest assured, she will ask for WQS alright. That's the only thng she needs from us right now, and if we ask her for a favor right after our fight, it means it is something important to us, so it would be ok to ask for a corresponding price. That she is willing to do it anyway, because she likes the girls, does not prevent her from trying to squeeze us for what's it worth. Never underestimate Bai Jiutian's desire to profit from whatever strife is going on.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Keep in mind, though, that Madam Nie has a tongue that could turn Qilin, our almost-wife and our True Love (TM) against us (as was disclosed after we didn't let her go to spy on her mother - or am I remembering incorrectly?)

No, not exactly turning her against you, but even if she is firmly on your side, she can still be misled into taking actions that harm your own goals, thinking that she's helping you. The emotion of love, in particular, is something that can be exploited.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
The difference between Qilin and Twins is the that twins have actually spend much more time with Madam Nie than Qilin. They have seen how good madam Nie is in manipulation game and they know that Madam Nie has led Nie wuxing astray from orthodox path.
They will be likely be suspicious of Madam Nie and by extension of their father even, if they do love him.

Well madam Nie could potentially fool them to do something that harms us, but I strongly doubt that they will consider us sworn enemy even with Madam Nie manipulation. My gut feeling says that the relationship between Madam Nie and Twins have been strained for looooooooooong time.

As for Bai Jiutian.
Yes she will try to squeeze us the most they can, but she might think that twins aren't that much of worth to us that we would share WDQ update again. Does she even know that we got WSQ upgrade? I believe the favor will be something diffrent, but not WSQ.
There are lot of things Xu Jing can do as favor, even if WSQ is most powerful and delicious tool in arsenal.

I also believe that Bai Jiutian cares for twins and she is pretty good at manipulation, even if Madam Nie is better.
Who knows maybe Bai Jiutian and Madam Nie manipulation cancels each other out for lack of better word.:lol:

Nevill

Arcane
They will be likely be suspicious of Madam Nie and by extension of their father even, if they do love him.
Their father is still their weak point, though. They want all these things they suspect him of doing to prove false, or a misunderstanding, or someone else's fault.

Now, I know your take on Wuxing is that he is a simpleton duped into doing dirty work for the sake of Madam Nie's ambitions, and that he might want a way out, but, alas, I do not share it.

I think he is a lost cause, and the sooner they see it, the better it would be for them.

As for Bai Jiutian.
Yes she will try to squeeze us the most they can, but she might think that twins aren't that much of worth to us that we would share WDQ update again. Does she even know that we got WSQ upgrade? I believe the favor will be something diffrent, but not WSQ.
There are lot of things Xu Jing can do as favor, even if WSQ is most powerful and delicious tool in arsenal.
Well, the first thing I would do if I were in Bai Jiutian's shoes is I would ask what Jing has to offer for her services as a mediator. Have him lay everything on the table. As you can see, we are somewhat short of options on that front.

Of course, we can always promise her a favor of her choosing in the future. Because that went so well with the voters last time (with Xuezi, mind, who was nothing but helpful to us thus far). :lol: But I don't think Bai is the sort of a person who would take our word for it, so...

Last edited:

Akkudakku

Arbiter
You just have to try and calculate things...
We should go with options that already go well with Jings character.

Nevill

Arcane
You mean, taking on the problems head on, like we played him for the first half of the LP (and still do, from time to time)?

Or sneaking an ally behind enemy lines to subtly sabotage them, like we did with Bai Jiutian? Though the jury is out on whether it is working as advertised. :)

Or accepting another pair of girls under our wing and doing something scandalous?

Or pushing for one's right for independence, like we did with Song Lingshu, and solving matters with a good old fight?

Or letting one decide their own destiny, like we did with Cao'er?

They all go well with Jing's character. That does not say anything about whether or not they end well for the people involved.

Last edited:

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
It's still somewhat of a tussle between C and D, isn't it? I'll likely close and update in a day's time.

Nevill

Arcane
It's a three-way tie between C, D and E, each at 6 votes, depending on how you resolve the flops.

Edit: Still a tie between C, D and E. :)

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Rex Feral, Azira, Elfberserker, Grimgravy there is presently a tie between C and D. Would you be willing to cast a vote and settle it?

I prefer D over C because C carries the following problems: alienates our girls (Yifang and Yunzi both object), alienates our orthodox allies (this is scandalous), is not going to endear the twins to us (because we are destroying their reputation and their adoptive father's in the process) and Jing's unnatural confidence seems to be the demon at work, which makes me worry about what price Jing will pay for this "success." In a way, this also feels like the "take advantage of Lingshu to save her" option, which would've quickly resulted in her leaving the group.

D, on the other hand, will have Jing support the twins' right to self-determination, which is more likely to earn the girls' respect and avoid alienating the sects so much. The downside to D is that it may result in a fight, unless we can fasttalk our way past it.

Between the two options, I strongly favor D myself.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
To be fair, though, we would likely have to win a duel in D to see any of the 'benefits', which might be tricky, considering the state of our arm. If we place a condition on our victory, then so would Wuxing request that the Twins return home if we lose. C does not carry such a risk of failure, but it has a fair share of its own worms.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
To be fair, it's not like success is guaranteed in C either. Jing has a really unreasonable confidence that it will work (because the demon has a hardon for having others depend on Jing so it wants Jing to take responsibility) while he screws over his relations with the orthodox sects and his own crew. The twins themselves really aren't going to like the outcome either, since we just managed to simultaneously dishonor both the twins and their father. Our speech skill and charisma is nowhere near high enough to make up for our incredibly untrustworthy reputation with women (lecher, kidnapper, etc. which C would add to) so that we could seem properly trustworthy/penitent/whatever-the-fuck.

So, very possible bad outcomes from C: twins do not want to talk with us, Yunzi and Yifang will be unhappy with us (huge problem with fire cult showing up), orthodox sects do not want to talk with us, and nobody will believe our accusations against Huashan after the huge drop of rep we suffer. Also, demon influence might result in Jing automatically doing something really stupid because he feels it's right.

Last edited:

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I don't think we can 'accidentally' kill anyone at this point of our career, especially not a master of martial arts.
You realize you're talking about the same master of martial arts that nearly got stabbed by Bai just now because a black cat crossed his path? We're not perfect yet.

I suspect Bai, and either of their parents - especially Nie - are tough enough that we'll have to go all out or near it to win. The moment we draw any significant amount blood is the moment the twins will hate our guts. Even if we don't kill them.

Nevill

Arcane
You realize that in not the point of the sentence? I am talking about that we can not accidentally kill a master of martial arts. These dudes are simply not prone to accidents. It takes conscious effort - a lot of effort - to kill or maim them.

In your example above, Bai was striking to kill.

The moment we draw any significant amount blood is the moment the twins will hate our guts. Even if we don't kill them.
Just... no. If we cripple them, then I guess you could say that. For any regular injury, there is Cao'er and golden fox leaves. I am sure Madam Nie's connections in Tianshan didn't leave her without several of those.

They are fighters, not snowflakes. They use swords in Huashan, not frying pans. A cut here and there is absolutely fine as long as you don't take away a limb.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about things we might have to reveal in order to win, such as WQS.

When Man Tiger Pig is kicking the snot out of their beloved father, they aren't going to mind a bit? Sorry. Not buying it. Seeing someone punch their dear father in the face isn't likely to endear that person to them.

Nevill

Arcane
When Man Tiger Pig is kicking the snot out of their beloved father, they aren't going to mind a bit? Sorry. Not buying it.
It's not an ambush in a dark alley. It's an honest duel their father requested himself. It's not like we are the ones pushing for a fight.

They will be worried about him, as is only natural, but not to the point of hating us. How would what happened be our fault?

And it is an open question who would be kicking snot out of whom.

When Man Tiger Pig is kicking the snot out of their beloved father, they aren't going to mind a bit? Sorry. Not buying it.
It's not an ambush in a dark alley. It's an honest duel their father requested himself.
It's still their father. It's not about honor, it's about seeing someone you love beat up. These are emotional girls, not hardened honorblade pugilists like Bai or Guo Fu.
And it is an open question who would be kicking snot out of whom.
And us losing would make the choice better how? :|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom