Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final Fantasy?

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Does FF6 have tons of grind in it?

I really hope that starmen.net finishes their mother3 translation soon. Earthbound had tons and tons of grinding but the setting was awesome and everything was cool.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Actually I don't remember grinding much last time I played FF6 (then again I fight every random battle and never run away and try to get into about three or four extra fights per area as a defense against the level mechanic). The only time I spent a lot of time is getting Gau's special abilities on the Veldt.

KreideBein

Scholar
Sylvanus said:
FF8 was convoluted, unbalanced, and extremely boring towards the end. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT fight the last battle on disc 3 before being well supplied. At the very least have most of the Summons and the portable store skill for, I think, the tonberry summon. A lot of disposable Holy is highly recommended for the final battle.

Eh, refresh my memory, which boss was that?

POOPERSCOOPER said:

Not all that much, though a bit of grinding is necessary to ensure that you're strong enough to beat some of the tougher bosses. Though even that isn't necessary if you're familiar with a certain spell combo.

POOPERSCOOPER said:

Well, you need to use all your characters in the final dungeon, so you'll probably need to grind up the ones you don't use. Just stick them in a party with your stronger ones, give them a Growth Egg, and wander around the dinosaur forest for half an hour. You'll gain at least 10-20 levels.

Shodan

Novice
The first 5 entries in the series weren't very good at all. 6 - 9 range from average to slightly above average. X is one of the better traditional JRPGs I've played. X2 is the second best in the series simply for having the best battle system. XII is probably the best with some great long dungeons, a great battle system, and a well written story.

With that said, there are many better JRPG series out there such as the Ogre games, Shin Megami Tensei 1 - 3, and the SaGa series.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
KreideBein said:
Sylvanus said:
FF8 was convoluted, unbalanced, and extremely boring towards the end. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT fight the last battle on disc 3 before being well supplied. At the very least have most of the Summons and the portable store skill for, I think, the tonberry summon. A lot of disposable Holy is highly recommended for the final battle.

Eh, refresh my memory, which boss was that?

If you are talking about the last battle on disc 3, it's the one where you fighting the witch to save Rinoa and the whole "time kompressionnn!" is going on. The last game battle is against the same character but she's turned into some strange summon monster that can destroy any of yours (in otherwords, don't use any summons on the last boss).

neuromantik

Scholar
suibhne said:
neuromantik said:
Want to cross a desert just to get to a new destination? Too bad, you will have an encounter every 8 steps.

To be fair, this stock-in-trade for JRPGs. Some handle it much better or get rid of the randomness entirely, but they're rare.

Which is why I quit playing JRPGs.

Volourn said:
"but there were parts of the game where you had to sit for over 45 minutes"

O RLY? Which version of FF7 did you play? Certainly not the same version I played. :roll:

US release of FF-VII... I would tell you the exact part of the game where it was happening, but that would require me to play that horrid thing again.

Higher Game

Arcane
What the fuck is wrong with you guys? The original Final Fantasy is a legitimately good "RPG", in the same sense as the early Wizardries and Ultimas. It has no real role playing, and is basically a dungeon crawler, but is very well balanced and innovative for its time. Hell, it came out just a year after Dragon Quest, a fucking worthless grind fest! It was a huge leap in quality. It doesn't even require grinding; people have won the game with level 10's and such, if good tactics are used! The series only turned into jRPG wankery later...

Final Fantasy Tactics isn't as good as the Ogre series, but the story and translation were good, and it had some nice music and art direction.

Final Fantasy 6 is overrated. It focuses excessively on individual characters and their egos instead of any unifying theme, and the villain is a gay Japanese cliche that Western audiences didn't recognize; he may have well have had a mustache and a black top hat. Same thing.

Final Fantasy 7 is the best of the "jRPG" style that emerged when FF4 (another good FF) came out. It has a lot of interesting ideas outside of the characters, a complex story, and one of the most unique art styles for its time. It deserves every bit of praise it gets.

FF8 took FF6's idea of excessive character development and emo wankery and cranked it up 10x, and it sucked ass, as did every FF after FF7. This series is dead now. Stick to FF1, FF4, FF7, and FFTactics if you want to enjoy it.

Dragon Quest 8 kicked ass. It doesn't require any grinding at all, and the story is pleasant enough; cliched, but pulled off well, and the translation is one of the best I have ever seen in a game. The music and art are great; the DBZ style isn't overdone at all. It's a must-have for jRPG fans, and worth checking out for true RPG fans as well.

Frau Bishop

Erudite
Higher Game said:
Final Fantasy 7 is the best of the "jRPG" style that emerged when FF4 (another good FF) came out. It has a lot of interesting ideas outside of the characters, a complex story, and one of the most unique art styles for its time. It deserves every bit of praise it gets.
"Gary: I hear ya, man"

FF8 took FF6's idea of excessive character development and emo wankery and cranked it up 10x, and it sucked ass, as did every FF after FF7. This series is dead now. Stick to FF1, FF4, FF7, and FFTactics if you want to enjoy it.
X wasn't that bad! I still keep my savegame to finish it... someday.. when cRPGs are really dead. Maybe one year to go.
VD, do your best.. pretty please.

Dragon Quest 8 kicked ass. It doesn't require any grinding at all, and the story is pleasant enough; cliched, but pulled off well, and the translation is one of the best I have ever seen in a game.
I never played it.. or any of the series. Maybe it's worth a look...hmmm.

Btw, sheek wants to play some SMAC, so don't forget to activate the network HG.

Dire Roach

Prophet
One thing that's certain is that setting and charcter design has gotten pronouncedly more colorful and ridiculously flamboyant since FF8. Granted, Yoshitaka Amano's concept art for the earlier games is pretty alien looking, and most of the male characters he designed have quite an effeminate look. So who knows, maybe if FF4 and 6 had been made using current graphics they'd feel just as faggy as the post-FF7 titles...

Anywho, the English voice acting I've seen in recent NipPGs (FFX, Star Ocean, Xenosaga) is terrible. Male characters usually sound like whiny bitches or droning and void of emotions, female characters too cheery or overdone. Characters' tone of voice never seems to match their body language, either. Of course, I realize getting these things right is no easy feat to achieve, considering they have to match English sentences to Japanese lip-synching and different cultural perceptions on body language.

Higher Game

Arcane
I seriously blame FF6 for the trend of anime-style, emo, effeminate characters. Before FF6, characters in jRPGs behaved in a more Western, conventional, logical manner. I have come to the conclusion that only books, or a very small number of extremely well made RPGs, can put out good characters and development. Console style, translated jRPGs simply need to stay away from all that and be dungeon crawlers, like the original Final Fantasy. The rate of 3-4 exceptional RPGs per DECADE among hundreds of bad imitators just shows why it's simply not worth trying to make a video game a storytelling device, at least not without years of experience and ample talent. Of course, the millions of anime fanatics and furries make it profitable anyway...

I'll remember to start up Hamachi now. I've just currently reached the isle of the damned in Wizardry 6, so AC hasn't been on for a while. I've had to power level to get nuclear blast to kill those damn zombie guards, though. From what I've heard about Wizardry 7, I'll probably have even less time after this. ;)

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
Higher Game said:
I seriously blame FF6 for the trend of anime-style, emo, effeminate characters. Before FF6, characters in jRPGs behaved in a more Western, conventional, logical manner.

What anime-style(?), emo, effeminate characters were in FF6 besides the possible exception of Terra?

Higher Game said:
Of course, the millions of anime fanatics and furries make it profitable anyway...

There are millions of furries? :lol:

Higher Game

Arcane
Sovy Kurosei said:
What anime-style(?), emo, effeminate characters were in FF6 besides the possible exception of Terra?

Locke, for one. He spends time trying to revive his dead girlfriend instead of trying to get everyone back together. Setzer can't get over his girlfriend's death, so he buries a perfectly good airship that you have to go into a dungeon to get. Strago gets brainwashed and only Relm's appearance snaps him out of it. Terra spends her time taking care of children instead of doing anything. Umaro and Gogo are extra hidden characters with no point. Ultros is not funny and is a waste. Mog is silly and superflous. Cyan spends time sending letters to a woman, because he pities her husband's death. Why the fuck isn't he training and preparing to kill Kefka, the man who killed his wife, child, and kingdom!?

The whole game's character set is like masturbation; it's an anime cliche circle jerk. It was a major step down from the earlier games. With the exception of FFVII and Tactics, there have been no moments of clarity after FFVI. It just all became worthless, story wise.

I think FFVI is mostly popular because it's trendy to hate FFVII, FFVI had good 2d graphics for its time, good music, the game was reasonably well balanced (read: too fucking easy), and it had lots of silly side quests that artificially lengthened the game. It's really not that good compared to the others.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
I don't get why you are so in love with FF4 though. If I have my numbers straight, that's the one where you control a blackguard turned paladin and attempt to fight against a dark lord who turns out to be your father (Luke, turn to the dark side!). Right, real original and not cliche at all. FF6 was cliche, but it leaned more towards the archetypal. Locke the Noble Thief. Cyan the Chivalric Knight. Shadow the Anti-Hero. Strago the Shaman. Celes the Amazon. Leo the Lionhearted Commander. Terra the Reluctant Hero(ine). Sabin and Edgar the Antithesis Twins. Kefka is obviously for the Demonic and/or more antagonistic Trickster. Espers were demi-gods under the Three Goddesses of Balance (triumvarate of creation, balance, and destruction). And just like the "Journey of the Hero" everyone changes from having a mission of justice to going into an exile and coming back to face their demons. This is really standard mythology here. Starwars and LOTR follows a similar flow as do most other ancient myths. Call it cliche if you want, but it seems to speak to most people. Maybe you're just a Levi-Strauss or a Sigmund Freud.

MYTH IS DEAD!!! DEAD DEAD DEAD!!! GAME OVER!!!

Ladonna

Arcane
Wow, between gay pictures, and totally different opinions.... :lol:

Might have to just leave them where they lay then, unless jasede wants to share his thoughts on them.

My other problem is finding these other NipPG's that some of you go on about, is that I haven't been able to find them in PAL format, only NTSC (If thats correct). While I got the console for a song, I am not going to waste real money getting it chipped.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
72eb6599f404b427.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom