Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Obsidian working on a Pathfinder game - could be an Eternity CRPG + card game

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have learned to be a pessimistic person.
world of tanks rip-off? :prosper:
u wiot m8?
I thought that maybe learned to be pessimistic about Obsidian rumors after the news about Armored Warfare. People were expecting it to be an RPG.
Oh, I was a pessimist long before that, relating to anything in life. But yes, Armored Warfare and Skyforge has made me a pessimist when it comes to game announcements relating to Obsidian. While I did enjoy both South Park and Dungeon Siege III, they were no where close to what I want from Obsidian. I'm happy that we are getting Pillars of Eternity. Anything else that seems interesting is a bonus. I just won't hope for anything.

throwaway

Cipher
I got zero interest in this if it's a card game but it's still infinitely better than a shovelware MMO or a fucking tank game. :incline:

ikarinokami

Augur
Lisa Stevens the paizo CEO said it was not a mmo. Implied that obsidian called them, and that It was more than one type of game. The best guess is that obsidian wants to do the adventure paths as video games.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Lisa Stevens the paizo CEO said it was not a mmo. Implied that obsidian called them, and that It was more than one type of game. The best guess is that obsidian wants to do the adventure paths as video games.

People on the Paizo forums dug up an old thread for 2008 with an interesting quote along those lines.

I anybody at Obsidian wants to talk to me about a CRPG based on Pathfinder, I am all ears! Have them contact me at lisa@paizocom.

-Lisa

And as posted an hour ago.

Wow! Blast from the past! I totally forgot about that thread. Looks like they finally heard the call!

-Lisa

All will be revealed this weekend. Well, maybe not all. :)

Press release tomorrow. More details throughout the weekend. We are talking about more than one type of game. I think you guys will be happy. :)

Btw, they are NOT taking over Pathfinder Online. Let's squash that right now.

-Lisa

Rake

Arcane
Feargus gonna Feargus. With PoE engine already made, and the content from the adventure paths already in place, they only need to translate pathfinder rules once, and voila. a series of 10+ slam dunks at minimum cost. A nice supplement to Obsidian other titles if they release one per year.

ikarinokami

Augur
Lisa just posted again it looks like there is going to be a card game and a computer RPG game

ikarinokami

Augur
Please let it be a different engine. Pathfinder with RtWP would be a tragedy. You have Tim Cain use him, make a proper TB engine.

Alchemist

Arcane
fTHqzPy.png

Edit: Here's the thread link for your convenience: http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rd8x&page=2?Pathfinder-Computer-Game-to-be-revealed-at

ikarinokami

Augur
It's the same thread someone posted from earlier. I'm using my phone, and my phone technique is weak.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
It could be the 37565349857th PF campaign setting, but I don't really see how that would work, Sawyer being a 4E-fag and all, so why not make a wholly system-neutral setting book in that case?

TBH the image makes no mention of PoE and features (nothing but) PF and Obsidian prominently, so a CRPG still seem the most likely to me. Plus, if not, why would it be hung between the others?

Anyway, 4e is a fine system for what it is, but it isn't D&D, and either way, while I could just about stomach the rules, the lore-rape committed on Eberron and FR still has me seething. Well, not that I care much about Realmspace at all to begin with other than some fond CRPG memories, but I'm a man of principle.
5e looks like a good D&D system (and for the first time ever it makes sense how the Wizard's and Cleric's spellcasting works), but TBH it's significantly too simplified for me (no skill points!!); feels more like a Basic Dungeons & Dragons in relation to 3e's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons in all but name.

So when it comes to combat-heavy TRPG rulesets, Pathfinder (with some minor adjustments for the sake of consistency) is still just about perfect to me. The setting however... *sigh* the countries of the core region (as well as most of the core deities) are highly varied and for the most part rather interesting, and in many ways they've got their (queer) priorities straight, but it has largely the same issues most other popular generic TRPG fantasy settings have, and it's simply far too young in comparison to still be forgiven those: Human deities largely lacking the theme/feel of being a family or even having any family connections at all, non-human pantheons being severely underdeveloped (Ironically the elves have it worst among the core player races on Golarion despite traditionally being the least bad offender.), East Asian counterpart cultures and deities severely lacking in creativity/effort compared to the pseudo-European core, and part of the Old Egyptian pantheon (roughly the Ennead) being applied wholesale to a desert region without even changing the names*. Plus, it so fugly (ironically enough, the core setting book aside). I can ignore the unnecessarily weird looking and lethally cursed to boot gnomes (largely because I don't give a flying fuck about them and halflings anyway) and even the double atrocity of tall elves with physics-defying eyes, but the generally overly cartoony art style and impractical gear have me almost wanting to stab out my own eyes to escape looking at them.

Actually kinda funny, considering how I also love the TDE and SR rules as well as the overall feel of their settings, but damn, are those two forever bogged down by institutionalized stupidities established in their early days. (Well, SR is pretty fine these days, as long as you ignore the many at best hilarious** names of by now thankfully largely historical (i.e. dead) Japanese characters established during the first two editions. Misused Japanese terms in English speech are believable enough, but as long as they don't retcon away the supposedly Japanese term "kawaruhito", I'm always ready to cringe at it. TDE however... Aventuria's a hopeless case, the main problem being that it's a continent merely the size of Central Europe that has fantasy counterparts to cultures and climates of all of (Early Modern) Europe as well as most of the rest of the Mediterranean and then some (plus a handful of non-human realms), making supposedly huge deserts rather tiny, and confounded by there being a much more unified counterpart to the HRE but with no rival nation of remotely the same size to realistically hold its expansion in check, yet the status quo persists. They fairly recently tried to slowly break it up through infighting and betrayal but eventually chickened out (after a complete staff change).)

Incidentally, I read up on the most popular (pseudo-European fantasy) settings in Japan some months ago, and they make me wanna vomit in their even for Japanese standards astonishingly haphazard, blissfully ignorant construction. (And gods, do I despise Japanese-style floppy elf ears.) I have tolerance for that when there's actual writing (specifically, interesting characters) to make up for it but not otherwise. Plus, the descriptions of the respective rulesets don't exactly have me salivating for them, either, to say the least.

*Either do it or don't, but I can't stand half-assed inconsistency.

**The best example being their counterpart to Emperor Hirohito being called Irohito - which is neither a personal name nor a common noun, but the only way to translate it would be "lecher".

Edit: Well, that's what I get for rambling on forever without checking the new posts. The PF card game doesn't really interest me, like, at all, so turning that into a video game or fifteen would be even less likely to get me fapping, but yeah, really seems like a PF CRPG is on the way (and a PoE TRPG is not), so I'm cautiously optimistic.

Last edited:
OK, I actually sprayed coffee on my screen. Well done.

Apart from Alpha Popamole, there hasn't been a single Obsidian game that I haven't enjoyed for one reason or another. KOTOR 2 despite the herpderp, MOTB, Sozzy SOZ are all pretty good games and then we have FNV which I consider a classic. Even the DS3 and South Park were sort of fun. They all just suck at basic gameplay or combat like most every other game does.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Sawyer and Cain are both busy with PoE, so they're probably not working on this anyways.

[roguey]Might as well put people who can't do systems design on a project where they don't have to and save Josh for games where he will[/roguey]

It's going to be interesting to see if Obsidian does their pathfinder goldbox clone to compete with TSI possibly doing some goldbox clone.

Also, holy cow looks like Obsidian is copying the DoubleFine business model of tons of small-to-mid sized projects. Finally what I wanted from them, better 10 years late then never.

Athelas

Arcane
Well, such a business model wouldn't really have been possible 10 years ago.

They're still doing console popamole on the side though. :troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom