Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Amiga, Commodore and creativity

Epsilon

Cipher
I uploaded a lot of commodore magazines here, that can be read and perused through your browser https://issuu.com/zaxth/stacks I've got loads more to upload, as soon as theres time and willpower :)

nice, a friend of mine uploaded alot of swedish Datormagazin (some of the scans are from my magazines)

http://www.lemonamiga.com/dmz/

you could look at the pics atleast.

EDIT: no wait, you are dane, you can read them.
Yes I can :) Reason why I decided to upload to issuu is that Lemonamiga restricts the amount of content you can download per day. So I figured this way atleast people could just read whatever they felt like, I'm not sure whether it's more content complete than lemonamiga, though I expect not.

Luzur

Good Sir
I uploaded a lot of commodore magazines here, that can be read and perused through your browser https://issuu.com/zaxth/stacks I've got loads more to upload, as soon as theres time and willpower :)

nice, a friend of mine uploaded alot of swedish Datormagazin (some of the scans are from my magazines)

http://www.lemonamiga.com/dmz/

you could look at the pics atleast.

EDIT: no wait, you are dane, you can read them.
Yes I can :) Reason why I decided to upload to issuu is that Lemonamiga restricts the amount of content you can download per day. So I figured this way atleast people could just read whatever they felt like, I'm not sure whether it's more content complete than lemonamiga, though I expect not.

dont think Kim is limited, since he is the Admin ;)

Epsilon

Cipher
Heh, has to deal with all the responsibility as well then :) Nice scans btw, I'll be downloading some of these and putting a collection together if possible.

Luzur

Good Sir
Heh, has to deal with all the responsibility as well then :) Nice scans btw, I'll be downloading some of these and putting a collection together if possible.

well, always good to have copies somewhere else, also, i might be able to help you with more scans (since i still own a whole bunch of original Datormagazin's) AFTER i get a new scanner, mine is busted.

Epsilon

Cipher

well, always good to have copies somewhere else, also, i might be able to help you with more scans (since i still own a whole bunch of original Datormagazin's) AFTER i get a new scanner, mine is busted.
Yeah I am trying to create a repository of Commodore magazines, so that would be much appreciated :D Also I noticed that often the adverts are not included in the scans on Lemon Amiga, so they're technically not "complete". Which is what I'm aiming for.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Haven't read the whole thread, excuse me if these have been mentioned already, here are just a few artistic or great Amiga games to check out:

Apidya - This silky smooth side-scroller is the best SHMUP on the Amiga, fullfukkinstop.

Battle Squadron - Raw and gritty vertical-scrolling SHMUP, runs at full frames.

Agony - Thumping soundtrack and gorgeous visuals, the game is art. Game-play sux ass, though.

Xenon 2 - Only for the sampled soundtrack, three layer parallax and stunning pixel art, game-play isn't quite there due to running at half frames (a trade-off because of sheer amount of shit going on).

Gods - Very deep 8-way scrolling ancient greek-themed platformer unfortunately somewhat letdown by clunky combat and Atari ST restrictions (colours, scrolling and framerate of many Amiga games were nerfed due to coding them with inferior ST in mind, and just doing lazy-ass ports).

Lionheart - hack n slash platformer, perhaps the prettiest Amiga game ever made. Bizarrely bad animations and short attack swing, though. Still, more fun than Beast series.

Turrican 2 - 8-way parallax hardware scrolling, and probably the most highly revered Amiga music (Chris Hülsbeck). the 360 degree rotating gun is boss.

Flashback - often confused with Another World, FB doesn't quite match the artistry but more than makes up for that with excellent game-play.

Syndicate - isometric tactics with cyborgs, the freedom of play extended to attacking innocents.

Speedball 2 - top-down "pinball-stye" futuristic brutal sports football. The remakes suck, play it on original hardware, UAE or not at all.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Fuck yeah, that marriage of GFX and music in those cracktro's, man... Right in the feels :love:
Bless Youtube and the uploaders for preserving this cultural heritage.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
c64, a piece of cyberpunk in real life.

Top comment. C64 was before my time, but I met some hardware hackers who used to code games for it in an afternoon just for fun. It seems C64 had a deeply embedded hacking culture that Amiga never managed to emulate.

But many have said tongue-in-cheek that Amiga with its custom chips was designed by ALIENS. In seriousness the Amiga was so far ahead of its time that even the marketing gurus couldn't explain what it really was, or of what it was capable. How many current gen marketing gurus are puzzled and speechless when you ask them what the crap they're flogging you is or can do?

Anyway, this was the birth of multimedia, exemplified in the underground Demoscene. The coders and artists of cracktros and demos, and the pirates, were pretty much my heroes, moreso even than the best designers of the games.

It took fucking years for other PC manufacturers to catch up to Amiga, and they never reached that level of spartan elegance and austerity, not even close.

IMO, the Amiga is the sexiest micro-computer culture the Western world has seen. The Acorn Archimedes and Sharp 68000 of Japan were technically superior, but they didn't have the calibre of coders and artists that the Amiga attracted, and bred globally.

Amiga = awesome.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I still have a C128 and floppy somewhere, wonder if the discs would still work :(

On Amiga, it seems I used to play a lot of Cinemaware games:

Lords of the Rising Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0U7ZqOz2fU

I remember playing this one a lot. Never managed to rescue the princess even years later on WinUAE :(

I also never finished it, unfortunately I was young and did not understand what was going on.
But I played DotC and enjoyed that immensely.
I also remember other of their games like the unique It Came from the Desert, which created a unique experience of ca 1950 style and Zeigeist mixed with modern technology (computer games)

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
In seriousness the Amiga was so far ahead of its time

This, imo Amiga was the best hardware ever. Just look at the timeline, first Amiga was shipped in 1985 and it had games coming out for it in 1997.

I still have a C128 and floppy somewhere, wonder if the discs would still work :(

On Amiga, it seems I used to play a lot of Cinemaware games:

Lords of the Rising Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0U7ZqOz2fU

I remember playing this one a lot. Never managed to rescue the princess even years later on WinUAE :(

I also never finished it, unfortunately I was young and did not understand what was going on.
But I played DotC and enjoyed that immensely.
I also remember other of their games like the unique It Came from the Desert, which created a unique experience of ca 1950 style and Zeigeist mixed with modern technology (computer games)

Yeah DotC is a real classic. Fairly easy to beat once I figured out the jousting. They later ported it to PC I believe.

In seriousness the Amiga was so far ahead of its time

This, imo Amiga was the best hardware ever. Just look at the timeline, first Amiga was shipped in 1985 and it had games coming out for it in 1997.

Yeah at the time it was miles ahead of the PC. I had it hooked up to my Marantz "portable" stereo set (which was awesome!) while my dad's PC was only making *bleep* noises and the "eye candy" was a monochrome Hercules card. :lol:

Bittersweet memories because I sold my Amiga when I was 16 :(

(OK I would never have finished high school at pre-university level if I hadn't done that. The Amiga was just too addictive to focus on school work ;) )

Also:

Fun times with my brother trying out all kind of swear words in the Amiga speech program :D

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So Amiga was HAL-9000, it all makes sense now.

HAL-MC2_400x400.png

D a i s y........... daisy........

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Slightly OT

The future looked so bright!

r9qvba.jpg

:mindblown:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom