Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Pre-Release Thread [ALPHA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's almost as if the game was based on an already existing property backed by multiple books detailing the setting or something. Crazy journalists almost had me fooled. :hahano:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.adamheine.com/2014/08/numenera-creatures-burden-or-opportunity.html

Numenera Creatures: Burden or Opportunity?

JJL asks:
So I lately got Numenera corerulebook and bestiary and read them through, fascinating stuff, but It makes me wonder about the video game.

I mean, Numenera seems to be really hard setting to make stuff for since like, one of things book states is that all animals from modern world are extinct so if someone talks about scorpion, it might not be scorpion in same way we today understand what that word means. That and the fact that bestiary is weiiiiird(in cool way) makes me wonder how that affects the game design

I mean, when you are doing normal fantasy game setting, you can just include vampires and skeletons and whatever without thinking about it too deeply, but in numenera straight up magic doesn't even exist, everything is caused by really advanced science and bestiary doesn't contain any monsters from traditional fantasy setting. Heck, book even recommends against using words like dragon or griffon or such to describe creatures. So yeah, does that make job much harder for you guys or do you guys consider it more of opportunity to do interesting things?

(I'm assuming you guys aren't ignoring the setting described by rulebook completely xP I mean, for all I know, if you guys want to include undead and straight up dragons, you guys will do that)

We're professional world-builders working on a brand that intentionally steers away from normal fantasy at every opportunity. So yeah: huge, HUGE opportunity. This is why we chose the setting in the first place.

(And yes, there will probably be zero vampires, skeletons, or dragons. We do have one creature called a wight,* but it's not what you think.)

Adam Heine You screwed up the HTML tags on that one sentence there.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Well, humans didn't evolve like they did just for gags. There is a reason why we have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes and a humanoid form. Because this form is very effective for our way of life. I don't think that humans would evolve into little grey guys or other alien forms if we would live millions of years on this planet. Sure, there would be some evolution, more (or less) developed brains or bigger dicks, maybe we would be weak because we rely on technology too much. But we would look very similarly to our current image.

The selection pressures that gave us our form came from a time before civilisation.

And human evolution is observable in just a few generations.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1931757,00.html

Stearns' team examined the vital statistics of 2,238 postmenopausal women participating in the Framingham Heart Study, which has tracked the medical histories of some 14,000 residents of Framingham, Mass., since 1948. Investigators searched for correlations between women's physical characteristics — including height, weight, blood pressure and cholesterol levels — and the number of offspring they produced. According to their findings, it was stout, slightly plump (but not obese) women who tended to have more children — "Women with very low body fat don't ovulate," Stearns explains — as did women with lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Using a sophisticated statistical analysis that controlled for any social or cultural factors that could impact childbearing, researchers determined that these characteristics were passed on genetically from mothers to daughters and granddaughters.

If these trends were to continue with no cultural changes in the town for the next 10 generations, by 2409 the average Framingham woman would be 2 cm (0.8 in) shorter, 1 kg (2.2 lb.) heavier, have a healthier heart, have her first child five months earlier and enter menopause 10 months later than a woman today, the study found. "That rate of evolution is slow but pretty similar to what we see in other plants and animals. Humans don't seem to be any exception," Stearns says.

Last edited:

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
This is a fucking FANTASY setting.

Have you ever read The Lathe of Heaven? A man has dreams that can turn into reality, but they have to have a logical reason for existing.

For me, fantasy works best when you can at least imagine a logic behind it.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Well, humans didn't evolve like they did just for gags. There is a reason why we have 2 legs, 2 arms, 2 eyes and a humanoid form. Because this form is very effective for our way of life. I don't think that humans would evolve into little grey guys or other alien forms if we would live millions of years on this planet. Sure, there would be some evolution, more (or less) developed brains or bigger dicks, maybe we would be weak because we rely on technology too much. But we would look very similarly to our current image.

The selection pressures that gave us our form came from a time for before civilisation.

And human evolution is observable in just a few generations.

http://content.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1931757,00.html
Not to mention Numenora is set one billions year in the future. Not just a few millions. 1000 millions.

And not to mention that some of the "past" civilizations were able to manipulate star matter. And change the laws of physics. And explore parallel universes and dimensions:

At least one of them had mastered planetary engineering and stellar lifting. At least one could fiddle with the laws of physics the way we play with Legos. At least one explored parallel universes and alternate dimensions. And more than one wasn't human.

Do you people read?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Some dumbfuckery from "Huminds" on George Ziets' Formspring: http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/post/95831800415/george-ziets-on-joining-inxile-torment-combat

I am very happy with your direct participation in TToN…it gives me hope that the game will not be a disaster after the Turn Based combat decision. I am a little concerned that you will not be influencing the narrative though

Thanks Huminds!

The entire core team (Kevin, Colin, Adam, me, as well as Avellone, Tony Evans, and others) has had some influence on the narrative, and I’m sure that will continue as development progresses. Although Colin is the narrative lead, this project has taken a collaborative approach to most aspects of development, and Colin has been great about responding to feedback and incorporating cool ideas from others. I can also attest that Colin is a very creative and talented writer. :)

If TB combat was so good, how come most popular games in recent memory have been RTwP? From BG to MoTB to Dragon Age. I not seen any outstanding developers make the TB choice. What is so unique about TToN that makes TB superior?

In my experience, the choice of RTwP is usually made to appeal to a mass-market audience, not because developers believe it is qualitatively better than turn-based. I think RTwP is also better-suited to games in which combat is a frequent occurrence (i.e., the games are faster paced).

In TTON, combat will not be a frequent occurrence. Additionally, our turn-based encounters (aka Crises) will include some combat actions, but they’ll also include other sorts of interactions with objects and NPCs. As a result, we are specifically aiming for a system that allows for more complexity and a finer degree of control over the player’s actions per turn. We also think it’ll be easier to tie narrative elements (e.g., mid-conversation dialogues) into Crises if we use a turn-based system.

If Combat in TToN is not frequent, then where does the ‘game’ to be played lie? Can you imagine playing any game for 10 minutes without killing something?

Most of our game will focus on dialogue and exploration. There will be combat, but it will never be filler content – instead, it will always be motivated by the narrative and specific player goals.

In answer to your second question… yes! Perhaps the best example is the original PST, in which I frequently went more than 10 minutes without any combat, usually because I was delving into the NPC dialogues. In fact, the vast majority of the combat in that game was filler content with trash mobs (e.g., hive thugs) that offered little in terms of XP or loot. (Personally, I found those combat encounters to be more of an annoyance that detracted from an otherwise great experience, and I thought the game would have been stronger without them.). So imagine PST without the trash mobs, and you’ll have a reasonable approximation of our vision for TTON combat frequency.

:killitwithfire:

kain30

Cipher
people against TB combat... i think they´re the kind of persons that prefer quick action instead of thinking

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
At least the guy seems to be bending over rather than asking his money back.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom