Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Dex Released on Steam Early Access

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
wait until it's more finished to get your opinion. currently it's just a tad short of horrible. especially as an rpg.

winterraptor

Cipher
Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
The dialogue and quests look like Bioware crap though.
--"Hey, I might have a fedex quest for you."
--"Let me give you some attitude before I do as I'm told!"

Here's the more complex ones:

--"Help me, please! I have a tragic personal matter you must solve that's completely irrelevant to the plot and after which is solved I'll disappear! I don't have much but I'll give you what I have...even if my children must starve...and I must sell my body..."

1) "Yeah, whatever, fine. I don't want that stupid item you have stashed either. Screw Karma."
2) "Sounds like a deal. I guess I miss out on that item you have stashed due to Karma."
3) "Okay, I will do it for free out of the compassion of my heart. You'll then reward me with a powerful item. Karma rocks."
4) "Since I'm a Truly Badass Son Of A Bitch, I'd like to haggle over the deal and get 10% more, but miss out on the powerful item. Karma blows. If this game let me, I'd totally do unspeakable things to you and/or your corpse after murdering you but not before forcing you to reveal the location of your powerful item. Fortunately for you, gamers shouldn't want to do things like that. That's just sick. Like killing children."
5) "I don't have time for this. But you'll wait here until I do, of course, with the same options."

almondblight

Arcane
wait until it's more finished to get your opinion. currently it's just a tad short of horrible. especially as an rpg.

As a game, yeah, there's not much to do right now. But as an alpha it's pretty promising. Just running around an open urban jungle, buying kabobs from cheap take out places in bustling downtown areas, fighting gangs in slums on the outskirts, checking out street docs for implants and pulling apartment rental fliers off the wall is pretty entertaining. Well, particularly if you're a sucker for cyberpunk like me. We don't get much in the way of open world cyberpunk games, and the atmosphere in this one is pretty good (even if everything's very sparse at the moment).

How is the combat? Is there a lot of it and does it give XP? It looks like the game may have some kind of Flashback-y gunfighting system, or perhaps Blackthorne.

It's OK, but could use some work. Not a whole lot to it now. Melee is somewhat basic, though there are a couple of different moves and blocking. Gunplay could be a bit more flashback like if they made the a draw weapon button that toggled the weapon (as it is you have to pull it out), and a button to shoot (as it is, you use the mouse to aim and shoot. You do seem to get some exp from combat. At the moment you can avoid it all if you want. Not sure how many if any missions will require it, but stealth and hacking (a somewhat...unusual hacking system, if I remember right) will be in the game eventually (stealth's in now, hacking slated for next month).

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
But as an alpha it's pretty promising.
dunno. besides graphics the rest is pretty meh and doesn't show much potential. the music is terrible, the writing shows that whoever is making it doesn't speak english properly, and the rpg system is pretty terribly shallow by the look of the skills. a cyberpunk game without social skills is pretty derp, as are skills that pretty much just raise effects. this really isn't much of an rpg.

Angthoron

Arcane
But as an alpha it's pretty promising.
dunno. besides graphics the rest is pretty meh and doesn't show much potential. the music is terrible, the writing shows that whoever is making it doesn't speak english properly, and the rpg system is pretty terribly shallow by the look of the skills. a cyberpunk game without social skills is pretty derp, as are skills that pretty much just raise effects. this really isn't much of an rpg.
Yeah, it's more of a semi-non-linear sidescroller with upgradeable stats at the moment. I can see what they're aiming for though and it's a pretty nice goal. Just not sure it can be called an RPG.

Then again, if ME series are, and if ArcaniA was, I don't see why this can't be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom