Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity Beta Discussion [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Weasel
:lol:

Does it call him a 'crackerjack designer'?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If I get felipepe correctly, there are unique items with unique backgrounds ...but they don't actually do anything unique, more like a combination of 3 + minor magical effects.
Yeah, there are some in the beta:

pihEwQA.png

These are unique items with unique lore, but those are all enchantments you can create yourself. These items just have more of them. P. banal, especially as a spiritual sequel to the game with best itemization ever.

Is it the item abilities themselves or is it the attribute/skill system that is the problem? I'm not really an item expert so I'm not sure what is the problem here.

Could you give examples of item stats that would not be p.banal?
Compare it to this:
imagezvqv.jpg

PoE is just: Attribue + 5%, +2 other attribute, +50% another attribute. Baldur's Gate for example: all that PoE has (attribute boost), but additionally it gives immunity to status effects, draining enemy levels, healing the wielder of the weapon with each hit, plus regeneration.

Also, if felipepepe is correct, the additional enhancements these equipments have are not that unique, because you can craft them yourselves. A good unique weapon is unique, because there isn't anything like it in the game.

Granted, the PoE weapons are probably low level weapons, I hope that the high tear unique weapons will be truly unique.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Is it the item abilities themselves or is it the attribute/skill system that is the problem? I'm not really an item expert so I'm not sure what is the problem here.

Could you give examples of item stats that would not be p.banal?

Boots of speed, Algernon's Cloak, ring of wizardry, ring of free action, Ankheg armor. Some examples from first BG.

That Justice sword looks like it's somewhat similar to staff mace and staff spear from BG1 but it's hard to tell because its bonuses description is so messy.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Those items that felipepepe posted don't look that banal to me. They seem pretty typical of the sort of low-tier magical equipment you might find in BG1.
My problem is the lack of unique stuff. As I said, those are things you can enchant yourself, the "unique" items just have more of them. They aren't items that change the way you play, or offer new powers & abilities. BG2 was amazing in this regard, but let's cut some slack and just use some BG1 items (without the expansion):

spidersbane.gif
Spider's Bane -> THACO +2, Free Action
spear+3backbiter.gif
Spear +3, Backbiter -> THACO +3,3 Dam. againts wielder for every successful hit
twohandedswordcb+3.gif
Two Handed Sword Cursed Berserking +3 -> THACO +3, Wielder goes Berserk
cloakofthewolf.gif
Cloak of the Wolf -> Polymorph into a wolf at will
cloakofnondetection.gif
Cloak of Non-Detection ->Nondetectable by magical means
helmetofcharmprotection.gif
Helmet of Charm Protection -> Immune to charm, Protects Against Critical Hits
gauntletsofogrepower.gif
Gauntlets of Ogre Power -> Gives 18/00 Strength
amuletofmetaspellinfluence.gif
Amulet of Metaspell Influence -> One extra second level mage spell
ringofanimalfriendship.gif
Ring of Animal Friendship -> Charm Animal
ringoffreeaction.gif
Ring of Free Action -> Immune to anything that effects mobility
bootsofspeed.gif
Boots of Speed -> Increases movement speed

The joys of giving the Gauntlest of Ogre Power to a Rogue or Mage, of avoiding spiderwebs with free action, of enduring the downsides of the cursed +3 so you can hit some harder creatures... Much more interesting, no?

mastroego

Arcane
pihEwQA.png

These are unique items with unique lore, but those are all enchantments you can create yourself. These items just have more of them. P. banal, especially as a spiritual sequel to the game with best itemization ever.

This dangerously reminds me of the Elemental: War of Magic disaster.
I used to rant a lot in their forum about the idiocy of the Balance Fixation.
In Master of Magic you used to have all sort of crazy things, like Invisible units that could wreck havoc in ANY army unless you had True Seeing or something equally purposeful.
I would argue that in nowadays "balanced" mechanics an effect like "Invisibility" would maybe grant a penalty to the enemies' Detection Checks or something similarly retarded.

We all know how that played out.
This looks similarly un-fun.
I'm using mild terms, but I really don't see why anyone should bother making a game along these lines.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
spear+3backbiter.gif

Well, these don't seem like they would be out of place next to the PoE items you posted. The boots, for example, immediately reminded me of this random set of boots you find in the wilderness in BG1: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Boots_of_the_North

FeelTheRads

Arcane
In Master of Magic you used to have all sort of crazy things, like Invisible units that could wreck havoc in ANY army unless you had True Seeing or something equally purposeful.

Shit game, I'm sure.

Hormalakh

Magister
My problem is the lack of unique stuff. As I said, those are things you can enchant yourself, the "unique" items just have more of them. They aren't items that change the way you play, or offer new powers & abilities. BG2 was amazing in this regard, but let's cut some slack and just use some BG1 items (without the expansion):

spidersbane.gif
Spider's Bane -> THACO +2, Free Action
spear+3backbiter.gif
twohandedswordcb+3.gif
Two Handed Sword Cursed Berserking +3 -> THACO +3, Wielder goes Berserk
cloakofthewolf.gif
Cloak of the Wolf -> Polymorph into a wolf at will
cloakofnondetection.gif
Cloak of Non-Detection ->Nondetectable by magical means
gauntletsofogrepower.gif
Gauntlets of Ogre Power -> Gives 18/00 Strength
ringofanimalfriendship.gif
Ring of Animal Friendship -> Charm Animal
ringoffreeaction.gif
Ring of Free Action -> Immune to anything that effects mobility
bootsofspeed.gif
Boots of Speed -> Increases movement speed

The joys of giving the Gauntlest of Ogre Power to a Rogue or Mage, of avoiding spiderwebs with free action, of enduring the downsides of the cursed +3 so you can hit some harder creatures... Much more interesting, no?

I agree. But I also understand where Josh Sawyer is coming from. Though at the same time, he's advocating two completely different ideas.

The gauntlets of ogre might for example, allow players to dump might for a character and then go and find the gauntlets and make that "dump" stat not really much of a choice. However, this requires metagaming, and in this case Josh Sawyer would say "yes, once they know that the gauntlet exists ,they will metagame and make degeneracy easier."

Same thing with power armor in FO2. I pretty much dumped str and went looking for power armor becuz I knew that was the way to spent my points without worrying about "wasting" them on strength.

However, at the same time, he designs lore in a way that is so metagamable. Who cares what the specifcs of a particular enemy's stats are (unless they're planning on randomizing them)? You can meta-game that. In this regard, Sawyer doesn't care and says "I'm making the game for players who are playing it the first time through and that first time, it will matter to take lore."

Shadenuat

Arcane
Anyone figured out the spider-illithid dungeon? I made 2 runes glow and cleaned the place but that's it.
If I won't do something there my barbarian playthrough would remain at level 5 since I did not get XP for ogre or stumbling upon animancer.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hormalakh The items that set one of your stats to max are pretty OP and should only be found in the late game, IMO. The others, all of them, I could see in Pillars, though I was very conservative about what I quoted in my reply to felipe.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Well, these don't seem like they would be out of place next to the PoE items you posted. The boots, for example, immediately reminded me of this random set of boots you find in the wilderness in BG1: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Boots_of_the_North
There would be no immunity to charm. It would increases defense against charm, so you'd be less likely to be charmed and then have a lower duration, but no hard counters.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There would be no immunity to charm. It would increases defense against charm, so you'd be less likely to be charmed and then have a lower duration, but no hard counters.

Yeah, maybe. I figure charm is just one of many immobilising effects, so an immunity to it wouldn't be a huge deal. But sure, swap that with "Charm Resistance +X".

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
Compare it to this:
imagezvqv.jpg

PoE is just: Attribue + 5%, +2 other attribute, +50% another attribute. Baldur's Gate for example: all that PoE has (attribute boost), but additionally it gives immunity to status effects, draining enemy levels, healing the wielder of the weapon with each hit, plus regeneration.

Also, if felipepepe is correct, the additional enhancements these equipments have are not that unique, because you can craft them yourselves. A good unique weapon is unique, because there isn't anything like it in the game.

Granted, the PoE weapons are probably low level weapons, I hope that the high tear unique weapons will be truly unique.

Ok I get your point but there's no reason PoE cannot also have items like this. Let's see and wait.

I'm also fine with an important role for enchanting btw. If the most powerful items can only be found in the wild then there's no reason to use enchanting. But I agree that some unique items are nice.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yup, the hard counters make all the difference. And there's also the unique aspect. You cannot get any of those bonuses from other items of create them yourself. As you said, I could see those happening in PoE considering the ruleset. But considering the man behind it, I doubt it.

Also, Baldur's Gate is one of the rare games that knows how to make cursed weapons interesting. They aren't just "troll items", they are really powerful items with huge downsides.

mastroego

Arcane

Shit game, I'm sure.
Not sure if serious.
MoM was definitely "unbalanced" and is still remembered as one of the funniest games of all times.
The stuff you could do was crazy.

Mark my words: no one is going to remember a Glorified Spreadsheet. Elemental wasl forgotten in a month except for being used as a cautionary tale.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Ok I get your point but there's no reason PoE cannot also have items like this. Let's see and wait.

I'm also fine with an important role for enchanting btw. If the most powerful items can only be found in the wild then there's no reason to use enchanting. But I agree that some unique items are nice.

You can enchant unique items as well I think.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Not sure if serious.

Definitely not.

MoM was definitely "unbalanced" and is still remembered as one of the funniest games of all times.
The stuff you could do was crazy.

But balance, man... that's good because... it's balance... which is better than unbalance because "un" is a negative prefix.

cutterjohn

Cipher
sadly, I was far too cheap to opt for ay higher than the physical boxed copy... *sniff*...

OTOH

I've discovered that I'm not much of a beta fan, preferring to wait for the content "complete"/"balanced" release(s).

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been thinking about the attributes after my last run. Resolve and Perception could be dropped and I wouldn't notice a huge difference. Tie the bonuses of those attributes to the others, and be done with it. Having the same amount of attributes as the IE games just because they had it, is not important to me.

Yep, that's exactly what The Saw™ would say.

That's probably my biggest beef with him, his fixation on "hard counters" and how they're somehow work of the devil. If bashing them wasn't such a huge hobby horse for him I feel he'd be a much, much more palatable designer, much more amenable to fun and interesting designs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom