Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can the creature follow us into the fissure, or is it too narrow?

Also, can we learn from the child where did the Hound go?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Can the creature follow us into the fissure, or is it too narrow?

It is too big, it is bigger than a maul for example. That is likely why no one has encountered them before. They likely can not get out of these tunnels unless a larger hole is made.

Nevill said:
Also, can we learn from the child where did the Hound go?

It left before your forces returned to the fort but the boy does not know where it went.

Nevill

Arcane
What is the fastest way of breaking the locks? Can we melt them safely, like Derryth suggested? Can we 'retrieve item' them from the wall, or the parts that fasten them to it, at least? Can we break them by force?

Can the creatures cast or feel someone casting? Do they emit any signals?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
What is the fastest way of breaking the locks? Can we melt them safely, like Derryth suggested? Can we 'retrieve item' them from the wall, or the parts that fasten them to it, at least? Can we break them by force?

Pick them probably but they seem to be of an odd design, certainly not made by human or dwarven hands.

Derryth believes she can melt them in a relatively safe manner. They are odd but they do appear to be made from normal iron.

Yes, you could use retrieve item on them, they are sufficiently different for that to work.

If you get a bit of leverage some of the stronger members of your group could probably break them though it might take a few tries. If you cast the warrior's mask on someone then you definitely could.

Nevill said:
Can the creatures cast or feel someone casting? Do they emit any signals?

You do not know if they can cast. They do not emit any signals currently though that could just mean they have no enchantments active and are not currently casting.

Nevill

Arcane
These things were on the other side, they attacked, they are fast and can spit that thick yellow sap from their tendrils. The mages did not even have a chance to defend themselves.
Do we have any idea about the properties of this substance - either by looking at it (they use it to seal the wounds on our companions) or by browsing through the child's mind?

Can it hold someone with the Warrior's Mask cast on it, or could they break free?

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Do we have any idea about the properties of this substance - either by looking at it (they use it to seal the wounds on our companions) or by browsing through the child's mind?

It is a semisolid substance, terribly sticky, it would likely take some time to get it off if you were covered in it. It is likely used by these creatures to capture and preserve prey. You could likely push something through it based on observation of the substance, but you do not know if you could pull something back out of it.

Based on the child's memories you know it will seal wounds quite quickly but beyond that he has little information to offer.

Nevill said:
Can it hold someone with the Warrior's Mask cast on it, or could they break free?

It is likely to depend entirely on who is using the spell and how much of (and where the) substance is applied.

Nevill

Arcane
Do satchel charges detonated in the middle of the cavern run the risk of collapsing it? The cavern appears to be quite large, so it should be safer than trying it near the walls.

My idea is to have Astrid and our grenadiers to drop some of them and catch the pursuers if they happen to pass by.

It is interesting that the creature said it was 'awakened'. Perhaps our friend in the Dreaming might know something about it, or even how to put them back to 'sleep'.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Well, the first draft of the plan (a variant of running retreat as per Dii, let it be called Div or something):

- Send the child into the Dreaming. Morpheus (I'll just call him that, since Lyssa thinks that's his name) said that if we send him living beings, he'll send back his elves and fairies. He promised us power and information. As far as the gifts go, this one is quite generous, so he might even come in person. He might know how to fight these creatures, or he might provide us with direct support. We don't know what he can do, but if he ever wants to receive more 'gifts', he'll have to do something to get us out of here.
- Scatter our people just a little bit so that we don't bunch up and get trapped in the yellow substance as a group, but not too far apart that one would not be able to help the other if something happens.
- Hit the creature with everything we've got. Have our archers, and even spell-casting mice (why the hell not, if the range permits?), aim for the heads or the eyes. Hopefully, it does feel pain just as we humans do, and it might overwhelm it and make it unable to react. Or maybe we can one-shot it with the Greater Energy Bolt which, apparently, is still stored in Thais' ring.
- Astrid's flash grenades might come in handy if the creatures rely on sight. We might want to check that.
- Break the locks with the Warrior's Mask. Or just rip the chains out of the wall. We don't have minutes to pick them, we must hurry and flee before the other creatures pour through. We must do it fast, and it is the next fastest thing after C.
- Redistribute the energon cubes, if necessary.
- Have the dwarves drop the satchel charges as they retreat. If the creatures do get through, we'll have to detonate those to cover our flight. Try to blow up the creatures, not the tunnels.
- If anyone gets caught in the sap, try to break them out with the Warrior's Mask. Either apply it to them directly, or to the one trying to dig them out, depending on who is stronger.
- The mages can help in a variety of ways, but that would depend on what kind of support we'll get from Morpheus. It's hard to theorize beforehand.
- Send our people through the fissure. A scout should go first, the kids and the wounded go right after them. The mages should not go last, but they should not evacuate quickly, either, as they are the ones who can hope to keep the creatures at bay. Hopefully, Morpheus can cover those who will go last, as he does not belong to the material world and thus isn't risking much.

Anyone wants to add anything?

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Do we have anyone big enough to use Enter Thunder of Colossus? We have the bolt in the ring, Lyssa is with us, and we are going to cast the Warriors mask spell anyway. We might be able to kill this first one by surprise. Hopefully the wind prevents the yellow goo from reaching us.

Nevill

Arcane
How do they get back from the other side of the cavern, though?

The creature isn't the biggest of our problems, the rest of them are.

Ah, yes, the Strong Wind might come in handy. Good idea. I wonder if the sap can trap them.

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Ok, I see how throwing them across the cavern would make it hard for them to get back. Our deal with Morpheus was that we sent a creature across to the dreaming if we wanted to negotiate. I don't know how much help will be forth coming right away as I think he is going to come across and try to talk.

With luck maybe the things down here are related to him and we can get a family reunion going.

Nevill

Arcane
Our deal with Morpheus was that we sent a creature across to the dreaming if we wanted to negotiate. I don't know how much help will be forth coming right away as I think he is going to come across and try to talk.
Well, here is the full quote:
"If you are willing to work with me, willing to supply me with interesting minds from your world then I will help you in turn. I will send through my goblins, elves and fairies when you use that spell on a living being. I will give you information, I will give you power, and I may even be able to shield the odd messenger should you keep me happy. After all, I can let one go if I know there will be many more to come."

"Do we have to answer now?" you prod him.

He merrily shakes his head, "No. I have all the time in the world. If you want to talk to me again then simply send another hare through, or a rat, or a mouse, or what have you. If you do then I will take it as a sign that you wish to negotiate further."
He told us about negotiations when we didn't really need him - or rather, we could't afford his price. He would do us a favor first, and collect the payment later. That sort of thing requires haggling.

Here, though, we just straight up tell him that we accept his deal and send him the advance payment. There is no time for negotiations, and from what the child can tell him it would be quite obvious what we expect to gain in return.

If the demon has any kind of business sense, he'd save the small talk for later, as we are already doing exactly what he wants us to.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Do satchel charges detonated in the middle of the cavern run the risk of collapsing it? The cavern appears to be quite large, so it should be safer than trying it near the walls.

My idea is to have Astrid and our grenadiers to drop some of them and catch the pursuers if they happen to pass by.

The risk is much smaller as long as the blasts are not too big. You are still using explosives underground though, they might shake something loose or they might be fine, no real way to know till you try.

archaen said:
Do we have anyone big enough to use Enter Thunder of Colossus?

Your best bet would be Kaf, he is fairly tough and the warrior's mask would make him stronger than a maul. The next best choice would be Hámundr. After that it does not matter much, Ori, Biliku, Uttu, any of them would do (though Derryth is not going to throw one of the girls at that thing so they are effectively off the table, so to speak).

Nevill said:
Well, the first draft of the plan (a variant of running retreat as per Dii, let it be called Div or something)

Alright, added.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Current Tally:

Kz3r0: Div
Nevill: Div, 3A
asxetos: Div
Jester: Div
Grimgravy: Div
Sunnmøring: Div
archaen: Div
Azira: Div, 3A

A)
B)
C)
D)
i.
ii.
iii.
iv. 8 votes

So a bit of a bandwagon here and as a result I might close this one early.

I might have time for an update today or it might be tomorrow so I will give you all fair warning now that I may close the vote suddenly if the opportunity presents itself (at the latest I will close the vote in twenty four hours). Feel free to vote or make amendments until then.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
No amendments, no comments. Either the plan is perfect, or we are fucked. :lol:

To be fair, though, when the choice relies on a wild card as a first step, it makes further planning a bit more difficult.

Some darker part of me finds it amusing that we might lose more people than we are trying to rescue. Then again, there is more at work here than simple mathematics.

We can't accept the creatures' deal and leave three more people to be maimed, in addition to making the creatures alerted to our presence, which would make another rescuing operation extremely difficult.

We can't run away without trying to save our friends - in part because it makes no sense not to run after freeing them, which is what we are trying to do with Div, in part because some of our people would simply not leave without others.

That makes only one option available for us - a fight. I am a bit torn about which course of action is best, but there is something about those creatures that tugs at my 'run away and never look back' strings. :lol:

Fangshi, Derryth did experience some kind of a trance when the creature sang to her. Could she tell if it was sound induced, or if there was something else at work?

Last edited:

archaen

Cipher
Patron
Even if we succeed in getting them out where the hell are we going to get a metric ton of mandrake roots to heal them with? Are we raiding the Heron Guard next? :salute:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Fangshi, Derryth did experience some kind of a trance when the creature sang to her. Could she tell if it was sound induced, or if there was something else at work?

She thinks it was sound induced. As hideous as the thing is the music it makes with every movement is quite pleasant, she thinks that, that is how they hunt. They draw their prey in with the music and then they hit them with that yellow sap.

archaen said:
Even if we succeed in getting them out where the hell are we going to get a metric ton of mandrake roots to heal them with? Are we raiding the Heron Guard next? :salute:

:lol:

The Guards are based out of the Imperial Palace, if you intend to rob them you will essentially be breaking into Alric's house... which actually I could see the ladies doing... :salute:

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
archaen said:
Actually, I have a plan for that, provided we get out of here alive and get to Myrgard safely. And yes, it involves returning to Muirthemne via a Gate. :)

Fangshi said:
She thinks it was sound induced.
Can we drown out the sound somehow? With Lyssa's magic, or by natural means, like an explosion? Or perhaps a song of our own?

Now, a singing retreat would be a thing to behold. :salute::lol:

I am probably not going to request it, but if it makes sense in context... DOO EET! Singing out commands to a melody of our own to break their rhythm would be beyond awesome.

And to think we've just had practice with that sort of thing by singing at the 'Silver Flame' with Thais. It all comes together now!

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom