Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Kickstarter Watch.

sbb

Learned
First-person torches never fail to make my dick wet...

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Fallen: A2P Protocol: XCOM + Fallout https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1228828169/fallen-a2p-protocol
(Argentine Fallout)
They don't mention the most obvious influence on the plot, FF7, and are asking for too little while wanting to make ports for consoles, anyone want to voice for this?
looks to me like they want to ride on the classic rpg fan wave and don't mention it because of that, kinda like namedropping x-com 20 times but then copying ui including icons directly from nuXCOM. i hope they fail.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-pulls-dinosaur-game-from-steam-early-access-/1100-6422063/

Early Access games have becoming increasingly common, with more than 250 now available through Steam. One such game, The Stomping Land, which has been available for sale since earlier this year has seen its development stall out. As of today, the game is no longer being sold, with no official word on why.

The Stomping Land is yet another game in the increasingly popular multiplayer survival genre, with this one attempting to set itself apart by being set in a world rife with dinosaurs. (Check out our Early Access review here.) It was successfully funded through Kickstarter in June 2013, receiving more than $114,000 in pledges despite only asking for $20,000. The game landed on Steam this past May, being sold as an Early Access game for $25 as developer SuperCrit (led by developer Alex Fundora) continued to work on it.

A quick visit to The Stomping Land's Steam page will reveal it can no longer be purchased. As of yet, there is no explanation from either Valve or SuperCrit as to why the game has been removed, but it would appear it's no coincidence that this comes after several months with no word from the game's developers.

None of the official outlets for the game--its Facebook, Twitter, forums, and Kickstarter page--have been updated in months. The developer's website is effectively nonexistent. The last post on the Kickstarter announced the game's arrival in Early Access on Steam on May 30, and stated, "Even though the game is available, development is still in full force." Whether or not that is the case is unclear, as the game was last updated in early June, with no word since then as to when additional updates would be coming. An online petition went live in July asking that the game be removed from the Steam store and that Kickstarter backers and Steam buyers be refunded. As of this writing, it's received 2,816 signatures.

Even before The Stomping Land stopped being sold through Steam, fans had reason for concern. In July, the game's public relations person posted on the Steam forums, saying they were done working on the game. They claimed their contract had expired on May 31, but that they continued on due to a "desire to see this game succeed." Most concerningly, they noted that one of the game's developers "is not very communicative and the Monday posts feel like I am stringing the community along. I don't want that. You don't want that. So I'm not going to continue doing that."

ColCol

Arcane
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/valve-pulls-dinosaur-game-from-steam-early-access-/1100-6422063/

Early Access games have becoming increasingly common, with more than 250 now available through Steam. One such game, The Stomping Land, which has been available for sale since earlier this year has seen its development stall out. As of today, the game is no longer being sold, with no official word on why.

The Stomping Land is yet another game in the increasingly popular multiplayer survival genre, with this one attempting to set itself apart by being set in a world rife with dinosaurs. (Check out our Early Access review here.) It was successfully funded through Kickstarter in June 2013, receiving more than $114,000 in pledges despite only asking for $20,000. The game landed on Steam this past May, being sold as an Early Access game for $25 as developer SuperCrit (led by developer Alex Fundora) continued to work on it.

A quick visit to The Stomping Land's Steam page will reveal it can no longer be purchased. As of yet, there is no explanation from either Valve or SuperCrit as to why the game has been removed, but it would appear it's no coincidence that this comes after several months with no word from the game's developers.

None of the official outlets for the game--its Facebook, Twitter, forums, and Kickstarter page--have been updated in months. The developer's website is effectively nonexistent. The last post on the Kickstarter announced the game's arrival in Early Access on Steam on May 30, and stated, "Even though the game is available, development is still in full force." Whether or not that is the case is unclear, as the game was last updated in early June, with no word since then as to when additional updates would be coming. An online petition went live in July asking that the game be removed from the Steam store and that Kickstarter backers and Steam buyers be refunded. As of this writing, it's received 2,816 signatures.

Even before The Stomping Land stopped being sold through Steam, fans had reason for concern. In July, the game's public relations person posted on the Steam forums, saying they were done working on the game. They claimed their contract had expired on May 31, but that they continued on due to a "desire to see this game succeed." Most concerningly, they noted that one of the game's developers "is not very communicative and the Monday posts feel like I am stringing the community along. I don't want that. You don't want that. So I'm not going to continue doing that."

Yeah, Glad valve took somewhat of a stand. I always wonder what leads to this abandonment bullshit. Do the creators just become overwhelmed? Or do they go in planning to fuck over consumers.

sbb

Learned
I always had a feeling I was never going to see that game released. A few buzzwords too many...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Do the creators just become overwhelmed? Or do they go in planning to fuck over consumers.
Maybe they just lose interest. The game made 114k on KS and sold over to 20k copies according to some posts (not sure if the info is real, but the game did have close to 4,000 "peak player"). At $25, minus Steam's cut, that's $350k plus the KS money. So a guy (the KS page says that one guy is doing everything: art, programming, animations, etc) woke up one day with almost half a mil in his bank account. Why work hard when you're already "rich"?

Gozma

Arcane
A Kickstarter + fast green field early development + a nice wad of money and high expecations is a great recipe for a manic phase followed by a crash in a bipolar developer

Vault Dweller

Developer
[Why work hard when you're already "rich"?
Because otherwise you'll get sued, lose all of it and then some.
Sued for what, my good man? Was there a contract, clearly defining the product you promised to deliver and your responsibilities? The developer can claim that the early access build is the best he could do and is/should be considered the product people paid for.

Last edited:

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Sued for what, my good man? Was there a contract, clearing defining the product you promised to deliver and your responsibilities? The developer can claim that the early access build is the best he could do and is/should be considered the product people paid for.
The problem is not whether or not it's fraud (because it is) but whether or not enough people can come together to raise enough money for a class action lawsuit and a good laywer.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sued for what, my good man? Was there a contract, clearing defining the product you promised to deliver and your responsibilities? The developer can claim that the early access build is the best he could do and is/should be considered the product people paid for.
The problem is not whether or not it's fraud (because it is) but whether or not enough people can come together to raise enough money for a class action lawsuit and a good laywer.
It takes more than an outrage and a good lawyer to win a lawsuit and get your money back. Without a proper contract clearly stating what the developer was supposed to deliver and what he owes to people he took money from.

Kickstarter even added a Risk "clause" to imply that there are risks. It presents itself as "funding to promote creativity", implying that you "aren't shopping in a store" but giving an artist some money to try to make something awesome. Early Access is about "getting involved" in the development process. Both platforms make it clear that the risks are on you. You have to read "Risks and Challenges" to decide if the developer has what it takes. You have to decide if an Early Access game deserves your patronage.

In a sense, they are right.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It takes more than an outrage and a good lawyer to win a lawsuit and get your money back. Without a proper contract clearly stating what the developer was supposed to deliver and what he owes to people he took money from.

Kickstarter even added a Risk "clause" to imply that there are risks. It presents itself as "funding to promote creativity", implying that you "aren't shopping in a store" but giving an artist some money to try to make something awesome. Early Access is about "getting involved" in the development process. Both platforms make it clear that the risks are on you. You have to read "Risks and Challenges" to decide if the developer has what it takes. You have to decide if an Early Access game deserves your patronage.

There are risks in everything, but I'm pretty sure there is a reasonable expectation of using KS and EA money to develop the game. If they do that and it still sucks or is incomplete, then I'd agree the consumers are SOL, but if just pocket it, that sounds illegal to me.

skuphundaku

Economic devastator, Mk. 11
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Kickstarter even added a Risk "clause" to imply that there are risks. It presents itself as "funding to promote creativity", implying that you "aren't shopping in a store" but giving an artist some money to try to make something awesome.
In the case of Kickstarter, they may have a point, although there's no precedent yet, so if it comes to a trial, anything could happen.

Early Access is about "getting involved" in the development process. Both platforms make it clear that the risks are on you. You have to read "Risks and Challenges" to decide if the developer has what it takes. You have to decide if an Early Access game deserves your patronage.
In the case of Early Access, things get dicier because everything happens through the same store interface used for selling the regular, finished, games. Because of that, buyers may be entitled to an expectation that they are paying for a game that is still under development but which WILL end up with a proper release. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a developer would lose in court after abandoning a Steam Early Access game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

There are risks in everything, but I'm pretty sure there is a reasonable expectation of using KS and EA money to develop the game. If they do that and it still sucks or is incomplete, then I'd agree the consumers are SOL, but if just pocket it, that sounds illegal to me.

It might be illegal but ethics has nothing to do with KS. Money pledged on KS is gambled money which means that you should not pledge more than you can afford to lose.

Vault Dweller

Developer

I agree that if nothing is done, then it's possible to prove that it's fraud (although even then the developer can merely show what the money's been spent on and claim incompetence and good intentions). It gets nearly impossible to prove fraud when there is something playable (in case of the game in question there is a playable build worth 10 min of gameplay - according to posts on their forums). In the industry where lying, over-hyping, and exaggerating are the norm, you can't prove that this 10 min build (which can be easily turned into an hour long build with the magic of filler content) wasn't what developer intended to release all along.

Look at WL2 - there are quite a few disappointed people because they expected more and took the vision document at face value.

Vault Dweller

Developer
In the case of Early Access, things get dicier because everything happens through the same store interface used for selling the regular, finished, games. Because of that, buyers may be entitled to an expectation that they are paying for a game that is still under development but which WILL end up with a proper release. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a developer would lose in court after abandoning a Steam Early Access game.
The tricky part is the final product is undefined. So, yes, all those who bought an early access game are entitled to receive a finished game but what this finished game is? For example, when we released AoD on Early Access we had 10 locations. We could have skipped the third town and released the game back in May with 15 locations just to cash in on the release exposure. Who would be able to prove that it's not what these people paid for? Cut content is common as dirt, see KOTOR 2.

KS and EA are about faith. Either you trust the developer, like the demo and want to see more or want to support the effort, or you're bored and have too much disposable income. You aren't exchanging money for a finished product. In most cases you're giving the developer some money hoping that he/she/they will make something awesome. The developer guarantees nothing and provides no metrics or specifics. Even saying that "your choices matter!" can mean just about anything.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
In the case of Kickstarter, they may have a point, although there's no precedent yet, so if it comes to a trial, anything could happen.

Steam actually makes it clear that early access games may never be finished and you should only buy one if you're excited about playing it in the current state.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Considering that the more popamole they added the more money they got I am not adding it to the list.

You're starting to get really picky with the choices. You've put Fritz on the list which is described as "narrative RPG with brutal real-time combat about life in the trenches of the First World War." And has garbage visuals. Think Hard West deserves to be on the list, maybe the devs can change their minds and shit.
The reactions in the thread of Fritz were mostly positive while Hard West thread is in full outrage mode

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom