Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

"Against the cult of simplicity" - Craig Stern on how the indie clique hates complex games

Farage

Arcane
Patron
Whats so surprising about hysterical attention whores getting more attention than everyone else?
You guys also have to take in consideration that indie devs usually consists of 1-2 people, that's why their game is simple, not because "i haetz complexerty hurr durrz"
So, instead of living like shit for 5 years straight just to make a complex game, people thought of an actual intelligent solution.
tldr; ITT :butthurt: :deadhorse:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
It's funny because the second page he's basically talking about the top-down view while pretending he's talking about the isometric perspective. The funniest bit is when he goes to say that isometric perspectives reminds him of chess :lol:.
Well, it's quite possible that isometric view in games comes from boardgames and tabletop miniature wargames.

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Motherfucker's done a single game worth of note in his entire career and he's already a big enough gaming celebrity that he has panel appearances in conventions and people pay to see him talk?
That was a panel about the documentary he was in.
And apparently people care about this douche bag enough that his inanities actually elicit a response from some people

Just look at the people in these video's. Look at them.
What the fuck man? It makes me fucking sick that these indy developer nobodies (Quinn, Phish, Sarkeesian etc) become "famous" by making one average/shitty game (if that, like is the case with Sarkeesian)

Anita Sarkessian isn't a developer. Zoe Quinn is only "famous" because of the massive amounts of harrassment she receives, and Phil Fish made a game that was critically well received and sold over a million copies, and was the subject of a documentary. Nothing is really surprising or strange about these people getting attention.
Even actual contemporary AAA designers don't seem to get the kind of attention that these people do, though not being aggressive attention whores and having actually accomplished something in their lives might have something to do with it.
These people wouldn't get half the attention if their "opponents" wouldn't be so obsessive over them. Even at the RPGCodex there is an insane 200+ page thread dedicated to them.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
"Nothing is really surprising or strange about these people getting attention."
No, in a sane world I would've never heard the word "cis" and some guy ranting about some nobody who made an indy game wouldn't have 100k+ views.

You're partially right about codex, I don't think most of us would've ever been subjected to 95% of this stuff (SJW terms etc) if we didn't browse gaming sites like Codex. But that's the problem in this whole SJW thing. People use gaming sites to find info about games, and when they do, they inevitably run into this SJW shit since most gaming journalists seem to be in on this "conspiracy". Trying to ignore the world around you and just playing video games is kind of hard to do for prolonged time periods. It does make you happy, but it's human nature for most people to want to socialize, so you eventually end up on some forum or imageboard when you want to talk about design, history, what if theories, opinions, incoming games and things like that. At least if you don't have RL friends to talk with. Even if you are very asocial, you'll still likely need forums/imageboards/IRC/youtube if you truly want to know a lot about video games/certain genre of games, even though sites like wikipedia and Hardcore Gaming101 do exist.

TL;DR: As long as the internet exists, gamers will continue to get provoked by these people. It's like pop music being shit and reality TV being trash. You can tell people to ignore it but most of them will still get butthurt by the decline of Western civilization.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
As far as difficulty goes, even mobile games have that indie shit beat:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You should try playing it. The game is a unforgiving as it gets on the later levels.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
E-Celebrity Death Match. Could have a similar format to the show about historical figures having rap battles with top voted comments deciding who fights who next.

Higher Animal

Arcane
TheGreatOne

You deserve a brofist but you still haven't apologized for thinking Yu Suzuki is not a top tier game developer at least as good as Miyamoto.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
I will, once he makes Shenmue 3 and undoes all the damage caused by QTEs by inventing a new gameplay gimmick like that which doesn't suck

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
"Nothing is really surprising or strange about these people getting attention."
No, in a sane world I would've never heard the word "cis" and some guy ranting about some nobody who made an indy game wouldn't have 100k+ views.
You've heard a latin prefix? My god, what other horrors have you been subjected to? Also how is this any way relevant to independent game development as opposed to game development by established publishers?

And again, it's purely persons like you that are driving views to video's that obsess over Phil Fish.
You're partially right about codex, I don't think most of us would've ever been subjected to 95% of this stuff (SJW terms etc) if we didn't browse gaming sites like Codex. But that's the problem in this whole SJW thing. People use gaming sites to find info about games, and when they do, they inevitably run into this SJW shit since most gaming journalists seem to be in on this "conspiracy".
Maybe you should just visit other sites then?

Although I probably visit the same sites and I almost never come across the term. Searching for "cis" and "cisgendered" on Kotaku (which I guess people would call the main offender) leads to exactly 6 results.

So I think the problem mostly exists between your two ears.
You can tell people to ignore it but most of them will still get butthurt by the decline of Western civilization.
That you consider any of this even close to important enough as to be labeled THE DECLINE OF WESTERN CIVILIZATION just informs us of the kind of person you are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom