Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah sure, what was in that ring? I ah, don't remember... :oops:
The Greater Energy Bolt, but that's not the point. The point is to autofill it with whatever you think the owner of the ring would unless we specify otherwise. Just like with enchantments. Less micromanagement that way.

asxetos:
1. Nevill's package,
2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10),
3. x,
4. x,
5. x,
6. x

Jester:
1. Nevill's package > C2
2. A) 5 mandrake roots (2/2/1 ?), B) 12 energon cubes (4/4/4 ?)
3. x
4. x
5. x
6. x

Baltika9:
1. Nevill's Package
2. x
3. DE
4. D>C
5. x
6. x
Um, everyone who is voting for my plan without further clarifications (asxetos, Jester and Baltika9), do you vote for the entire plan, or just for the first option?

Absinthe

Arcane
Voting 6A.

Also, going to add:
7: Should we let Albrecht know about Nanshe now that we have a private audience?
A - Yes.
B - No.

Voting 7A on that too.

I'm not keen on spreading knowledge of our Planar Gate spell. We saw what Miosguinn could do with that. Even the academy seems to have a few cultists.

Also, speaking of teleportation spells, when is that newly modified version of Retrieve Item going on the spell list?

Last edited:

zerozero

Literate
I will try to clarify my strategy

1 B) Stay in Myrgard

I would recommend staying in the city and sorting out the mess, the risk to Albrecht's rule is far too great to ignore and if Albrecht falls all our investments and potential rewards would disappear and we still owe 1200 wps.

If we don't secure his position, there is a higher chance that he would be overthrown.

Joining the battle south is more fun but look at the forces that we would be up against

! - Ghoul army - Nanshe

2 - Necromancer - TWM

3 - Cloaked Riders -

4 - Blinking horrors - probably Mazzarin

5 - Eberhardt Rebels

6 - Albrecht's forces - possible traitors

We would be 1 part of 6 forces there.

Mazzarin is the most powerful combatant there and he would dictate the terms of the battle.

I can imagine a few scenarios.

I - Mazzarin with his mutual hatred of undead and ghouls, splits his forces and attacks the ghouls and necromancers army. Seeing an opportunity Albrecht and Eberhardt both join in. Under assault from all sides the necromancer army get s wiped out and the ghouls retreat suffering heavy losses. After the main battle, Albrecht and Eberhardt fight among themselves suffering losses on both sides.

Mazzarin claims victory and captures the TWM.

II - Mazzarin sensing a lower threat from the ghoul attack the necromancer army, Nanshe attacks the Albrechts army and sends a small force to the necromancer army. The Eberhardt Rebels join the attack on the necromancers and the cloaked riders wait and defend.

The ghoul army overwhelms Albrecht's forces who suffer heavy losses. The blinking horrors are pushing back the necromancer army until the TWM appears, who turns the battle, the TWM brings out an artefact which makes Mazzarin retreat.

With this artefact, the blinking horror army vanishes and the necromancer army finishes off the dwarfs and make the ghoul army and cloaked riders retreat.

TWM claims victory.

On either scenario I can't see us getting much out of the battle.

I cannot see our forces beating all the forces on the battlefield, but say we are the eventual winners what would we gain:- another TWM journal that we can't open, shades spell book that we can't read, watcher artefact that we have no idea about, secret documents that we can't read.

We already have this stuff but are sending the one person who has a chance of deciphering this stuff away.

If mazzarin loses he will be pissed and could blame us.

There are more opportunities in the city and around it.

zerozero

Literate
Remember what we got from fighting the necromancer army at Blackfort, we will probably get less as we took out most of the shades. The TWM will probably have an artefact and maybe another journal.
Blinking Horrors will have nothing as I suspect are summoned, Mazzarin I can't see us killing and robbing his body.
The cloaked riders I can see retreating.
The Eberhardt Rebels are just normal motivated dwarfs

Nevill

Arcane
Miosguinn could do nothing without also learning about the plane where the Goddess resides, though.

Also, 7B. Dwarves and ghols hate each other unconditionally and irreconcilably. Enough so that the act of freeing Nanshe is considered treason. I do not want Albrecht, or anyone outside of our group, ever hearing about our alliance.

Seriously, what's next? Do we tell Albrecht about Lyssa, too?

zerozero said:
I can imagine one a few scenarios.
I can, too. We sweep in and unite with the Spider Goddess and Nanshe to fight the Patriarchy represented by Mazzarin and the Watcher, bringing them down with the power of lesbomancy!

In all seriousness, though, can we wait with the scenarios until we get at least some scouting information about the area? It is all useless speculation until then.

TWM is waiting for us somewhere in the mountains and is not currently participating in the battle. Nanshe is hunting him. As far as we know, those two are busy elsewhere.

We have no idea if Mazzarin is there, either. For all we know, he left his army of horrors to fight the undead and headed to Muirthemne, which is why Alric had to flee to Madrigal.

The sooner we get to the army, the sooner we can get to the bottom of what exactly is happening in the south, and the more chances we will have to turn the situation for the better.

zerozero said:
Remember what we got from fighting the necromancer army at Blackfort, we will probably get less as we took out most of the shades.
Complete destruction of the Watcher's forces in the North, full trust of the king (and further access to his resourses), shade's spellbook, and a way to get rid of TWM. Not to mention a reputation of a total badass.

I'd say we got some pretty cool things.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Abinsthe said:
Also, speaking of teleportation spells, when is that newly modified version of Retrieve Item going on the spell list?

Right now, I am going to do it before I forget again. :salute:

And just to move the tally to the new page...

Current Tally:

Nevill's package
Cii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
Civ: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
Cvi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's Package
Bii - Berty, girls, half of Blackfort forces, some pathfinders
Biii - Derryth, Thais and royal guard, some pathfinders
Bv - Lyssa, Ceannard and Black Arrows, some pathfinders
Bvi- Nephila (with a disguise paid for by Albrecht's promissory note with Lysaa's mice

asxetos:
1. Nevill's package,
2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10),
3. x,
4. x,
5. x,
6. x
7. x
8. x

Absinthe:
1. Nevill's package,
2: B (Nevill), C, D (seriously these rings are too good; lets also put this on the promissory)
3: Abstain for now. It might be better to let Albrecht's champion keep an eye on them. Might also be better to call him to Stoneheim instead.
4: D - Martin's pick of the castle + we send someone to go fetch a variety of smaller cheeses from the market.
5. A
6. A
7. A
8. x

Jester:
1. Nevill's package > C2
2. A) 5 mandrake roots (2/2/1 ?), B) 12 energon cubes (4/4/4 ?)
3. x
4. x
5. x
6. x
7. x
8. x

Sunnmøring:
1. Biv
2. x
3. x
4. x
5. x
6. x
7. x
8. x

Nevill:
1. Nevill's Package
2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
3. A
4. D
5. A
6. A
7. B
8. A

zerozero:
1. zerozero's Package
2. BD
3. ADEF
4. D
5. A
6. B
7. B
8. x

Baltika9:
1. Nevill's Package
2. B) 30 energon cubes (10/10/10) [promissory note from the King], C) Get another set of jewelry instead of the one we gave to Brothers Dietfried.
3. AD
4. D>C
5. A
6. A
7. B
8. x

Grimgravy:
1. B2
2. B (no more than 15) C, D
3. H (leave them be)
4. A Any cheese will do. Stop pandering to rodents
5. A
6. B
7. B
8. x

archaen:
1. Nevill's plan
2. BCD
3. FG - send for all our mercenaries after they issue the cheese. The armies have no mages and we have gained most of the value of the fort at this moment. There is no need to risk what is left our personnel for almost no gain. Even if one of the lords takes it over we can just unblock the tunnels and let the rhyming monsters massacre them if Nephila lets some live or sneak in our own murder force(Mice with cyanide for the soup).
4. C for eldritch horror mice, or mice in the dreaming, or Vegeta mice. Either way our forces will be clear.
5. A
6. A
7. B
8. x

1. What to do?

Leading Option: Nevill's Plan (6 votes)
Nevill's package
C)ii: Derryth + Thais + Biliku + Uttu - our team of investigators.
C)iv: Lyssa + Berty + Skite + Mayer - our recruitment team.
C)vi: Most of the mice, including Myrra, Poppy and Martin - our spying team.

zerozero's plan - 1 vote
Biv - 1 vote
Bii - 1 vote

2. What to buy?

1 abstain

Mandrake Roots 1/8 votes
1 vote for 5 roots (2/2/1 ?)

Energon Cubes: 7/8 votes (2 general votes that go to leading option)
3 votes for 30 cubes (10/10/10) using an Albrecht promissary note
2 votes for 12 cubes (4/4/4) - One vote directly for 12 and one vote for anything under 15

Jewelry: 5/8 votes

Spell Ring: 4/8 votes
1 vote to buy it with a promissory note from Albrecht
3 votes to just buy it

3. Who to call?
(4 abstain)

A) 3/5 votes
B)
C)
D) 2/5 votes
E) 1/5 votes
F) 2/5 votes
G) 1/5 votes
H) 1/5 votes

4. Cheese
(3 abstain)
A) 1 vote
B)
C) 1 vote
D) 4 votes

5. The Seekers
(3 abstain)
A) 6 votes
B)

6. Mazzarin
(3 abstain)
A) 4 votes
B) 2 votes

7. Nanshe
(3 abstain)
A) 1 vote
B) 5 votes

8. Sticky Bombs
(8 abstain)
A) 1 vote
B)

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
If our ale turns out good, I'd like to see if it will help us make friends with Wenzel and if we could renegotiate those rates.

Also, we should see if we can add another enchantment spell at the royal academy for both of the ladies.

And we should see if we can get Timo to investigate this Eberhardt Returned business on top of the Unforgotten, Unforgiven.

Last edited:

zerozero

Literate
The overall strategy is for the 1 B choice:-

II - Albrecht's children and covert operations in the city

Team - Berty, girls, half of Blackfort forces, some pathfinders

III- Investigate the Great houses

Team - Derryth, Thais and royal guard, some pathfinders

V - Prison site

Team - Lysaa, Ceannard and Black Arrows, some pathfinders

VI- Palace - Nephila (100 wps disguise paid by king)

Team - Nephila with Lysaa's mice

II - The covert operations around the city should give us more information about the mood of the city about the rumours Unforgiven / Unforgotten and maybe something on Albrecht's children.

III From a solid lead given to us from Nephila investigating the Great Houses may give us something.

V The pregnant necromancer would be a good find to present to morpheus, she could be still in the city.

VI _With Nephila's expertise in eavesdropping and using her webs, this could prove us with some leads, the traitors may not be the royal family but someone in the palace.

Defence of the city as part of 1 B

As the King doesn't know who to trust, we will have to start mind probing his immediate circle.

Once this is done, we expand our mind probe on top city officials i.e. captain of the city guard/ watchmen, chief financier, chief medical officer . If we confirm that they are trustworthy we get them to investigate graveyards, sewers, mortuaries and secure the main water and food sources with the city guard/ kings men.

We will get plans of the city and shore up defences and identify weak points of entry.

This is to check for saboteurs and preparation in case of siege.

Vote

2 B D

3 D E F A

4 D

5 A

6 B

7 B

I had loads more to write but my head hurts from too many options :(

zerozero

Literate
zerozero said:
Remember what we got from fighting the necromancer army at Blackfort, we will probably get less as we took out most of the shades.
Complete destruction of the Watcher's forces in the North, full trust of the king (and further access to his resourses), shade's spellbook, and a way to get rid of TWM. Not to mention a reputation of a total badass.

I'd say we got some pretty cool things.[/QUOTE]

I think that you read the quote wrong it said we will probably get LESS than the Blackfort battle

Baltika9

Arcane
Right, revising my vote:
1) Nevill's package
2) Nevill's loadout
3) A, D
4) D>C
5) A
6) A
7) B. Lolnope.

Anyway, I think that neglecting either front would be stupid: if we huddle up in the city to hold Albrecht's throne and play investigator while the South spirals out of control, there may not be an Albrecht left to return to it. If we go South and forget about the kingdom, there may not be a throne for Albrecht to return to.
As for Mazzarrin, well, if the man is indeed down there, then we still have a favor to call in with him, so there's a guarantee there. I'm honestly hoping that we can persuade the man to not exterminate the Ghols since they can be a useful weapon against the Dark.

Absinthe

Arcane
Even if we get caught with our Ghol relationship we can say we planted the seed of rebellion in her and let her go to forment a civil war among the Dwarve's enemies.
This is where Albrecht being incredibly pragmatic may come in handy. He might just accept such an excuse as long as he is the only one that finds out (you would have about even odds there). If it becomes public knowledge though then you will be charged with high treason and if found guilty you will be hung, decapitated, and quartered. Your remains will then be burnt.
For 7A I was thinking this but if the odds are 50-50, I guess it's not a good idea.

Fangshi

Arcane
Alright, I still can't find the flash drive with my nice annotated timeline on it... :negative:

But, I did have a few moments to run back through the updates and this is how much time has past:

The prologue was about a week long.

Chapter one was about a month long.

The first Interlude to loot the dungeon was two months long.

And this chapter so far has gone as follows:

Chapter 2:
A Parting of ways - 9 days, to Blackford
The Eagle and the crows - none, just a quick battle then you left
Smoke on the Horizon - 3 days to the fort
Few Against Many - 5 days from the fort to Myrgard
Banks, Beers and Little Birdies - 2 days waiting on Bari
The Black Arrows - none, only a few hours pass
Fishing In the Dark - none, only an hour or so passes
Anatomy of an Ambush - 3 days in the bunker
An Unexpected Ambush - 1 day in the bunker
The Raid/Berandal/Mind Games - none, all in the same night
Hope and Hatred - 2 days
Nine's Mind: The Mad, Mad Mind I/The Mad, Mad Mind II/The Mad, Mad Minds/A Strange Mind/Just Another Day - 1 day
Blood for the Blood God/The Arrows in Flight - 1 day in prep time/casting/waiting/traveling
Troubled Dreams and Sweet Nightmares - 2 days worth of activities
Shattered Sleep/Wolves at the Door/Man is Man's Wolf/ Faith or Folly?/Dark Night - 1 day
Desperate Times/Desperate Times II/Desperate Measures - 1 week and 1 day
The Calm before the Storm - 2 weeks
Stormy Night - 1 day
To the Victors - 3 days for the executions/interviews and the like
The Cost of Doing Business - 3 days meetings and the like
Streaming of Whiskey - none, just an evening drinking
Miracle Worker - 2 days prep for the ritual
New Management - 1 day prep and travel
Fighting in a Basement/In for a Penny/In for a Pound/Where Angels Fear to Tread/The Drowned Dead - 1 day
The Battle of Blackrock I - 4 days prep
The Battle of Blackrock II/The Battle of Blackrock III/The Battle of Blackrock IV - 4 days
The Battle of Blackrock V - 1 day
Battle's End?/Pursuit - 1 day
They Will Sing of Horrors, Darkly/Elf - 2 days
Lost or Hidden/The Second Coming - 1 day
Detective D/The Fish and the Net/A Small Misstep/Silver Tongue, Bronze Fist/The Five Sovereigns - 1 day
Fateful Meetings/Questions of Trust/Power Obscured - 1 day
Lost and Found - 1 day
Disappointments/Changes/Demonic Verses - 4 days
The Hunter/Projecting/The Good Neighbours/Insubordination - 2 days

for 85 days total.

Current Date: November 19, 2542

- You have nine months left until the agreed upon 'year' is over and you are supposed to return to Muirthemne (there is nothing stopping you from returning early or coming and going as you wish but everyone will be expecting you in nine months for the happy, and very interesting, grand reunion. There will probably be a party and everything so don't die. ;)).

- Your last chance to wake up Mel occurred during the Miracle Worker update which means it has been twenty four days since then so you have another week, almost two, until you can try again.

I wonder how long she is going to be stuck dreaming for. :lol:

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
Can't we take Melete with us and have The Seekers help us out on this when the time is right?

Fangshi

Arcane
Sure, if you want to take her with you I will add that option when it comes time to leave the city.

Nevill

Arcane
I think that you read the quote wrong it said we will probably get LESS than the Blackfort battle
No, I read it just fine. You implied that the Blackrock battle was a waste of time and resourses. It wasn't.

If our participation results in breaking the Watcher's hold over the south as well, we will make our lives that much easier. If we also manage to root out or at least neutralize the cultists, we will secure our position in the kingdom. And the ghols need to be warned sooner, rather than later.

The conflict is tearing the country apart, and if we can prevent that, we should try. That in itself is a no small benefit.

Baltika9

Arcane
I wonder if there will be a way to turn Muirthemne into a deathtrap for the rebels: let them have it, marshal their supporters in open rebellion and then sic the Ghols on them.

Nevill

Arcane
Stoneheim, you mean?

The ghols do not differentiate between the rebels and civilians, so there is a problem there if you want the kingdom to still have a city once it is over.

Baltika9

Arcane
The point is to help Nanshe get that city and solve our rebel problem for us at the same time.

Grimgravy

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
So now there are two more options? This is getting bloody hard to follow.

Edit:
6B
7B
We know nothing.

Nevill

Arcane
So now there are two more options?
Three more options.

If you want them to build you something or something for one of your allies then just let him know what and he will see if it is feasible.
I finally came up with the idea of what I want done by the Royal Academy.

Give them a sample of the demon sap and everything our pathfinders came up with and requisition a sap bomb from them. The bomb should have two distinct parts that are easy to recall separately - the body, and the detonator. Recalling either should trigger the bomd, whereupon it explodes and releases the substance that is supposed to hinder the movements of the target, restraining them and hopefully preventing them from casting - not unlike what Christine have done to us during our first meeting.

Ideally, the dwarves should already have something akin to the substance, since they are builders and tinkerers. Something like the cement or a glue that dries extremely fast after making contact with air, maybe?

Have them run some tests to configure the delay between activating the bomb and the explosion to be enough for a small rodent to get out of the blast zone, but not enough to have the main target escape. If they fail at that, no worries, we will just have to use someone other than our own mice.

I want several working prototypes by the time we leave the city. I mean, hell, we've worked on that one for a week already! It's time to see some results.

8. You have an option to request the Royal Academy to make you a custom item of your choosing. Do you make such a request?
A. Yes, you will give them a sample of the demon sap and request them to complete your remote bomb project by making bombs that are activated by 'recall item' spell and designed to incapacitate the target rather then blow it up. You want it done by the time you leave the city, since the Pathfinders have already laid down most of the groundwork.
B. No, you do not bother with such requests.

And I'll vote 8A.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
How blunt do we want to be with Albrecht about the whole Mazzarin business?

I would prefer a little subtlety instead of saying "Yo, we've been running around the country resurrecting ancient powers despite having no idea whether they are a danger to your kingdom or not":
So I suggest that we tell the King at least a part of the truth. That we were summoned in the desert by the most powerful of the archmages to do a favor for him, something he could not do himself - which we can not disclose, as it is not our secret to tell - and that we have been working against the Watcher since. We can't claim that we are working together, because we are not, but it seems that our, shall we say, 'cooperation' have borne fruits that even Albrecht would find hard to argue against.
There is merit in telling him what he is dealing with, but I don't see the need to stick out our role in all of this.

The initial suggestion didn't include telling about our participation in his revival, as far as I can see.

Last edited:

Absinthe

Arcane
I'm pretty sure your option #8 shouldn't be up for vote yet. That option is going to be up for vote next update.

Nevill

Arcane
Why is that? This is a request to Albrecht - the offer was his in the first place, - and he is sitting right here.

We are planning for the next several days. It does not require us to meet them, and the choice is largely independent from our other actions (unlike hiring the Weasels, for example, that would depend on what kind of interaction we will have with their leader).

We don't know when we will get to the Academy, and I want them to start right away, since we are on a timer here.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom