Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Metacritic User Score 6.6.

RwMw
Sep 19, 2014
This game came out delayed and the UI is awful. Compared to fallout 3 it doesn't stack up and I much prefer the fallout series. It was an okay try at a classic rpg but I didn't like it much. Was a $50 backer. Also the lack of tracking information and other things on the physical copy was so lazy.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've spent the past half-hour matching character models to painted portraits during creation.... :negative:

It WAS decent of inXile to base many of the portraits on actual model clothing items and hairstyles, or vice versa. Although it doesn't matter from a gameplay or even story perspective, the models themselves are pretty hideous, as are snapshots created from them. When coming up with edgy and evocative character concepts, style helps.

72b122d1b0.png

"What a cool portrait," I thought. "This has inspired me to create a leader character who's a seductress, sort of like Pris from Blade Runner in that doll costume."

47c2f0fa2b.png

"Uh... looks great, h-heh heh. Wow, yeah."

:what:

Cadmus

Arcane
Oh man this game is butt-ugly :D:D
I still cant wait to play it.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

RwMw
Sep 19, 2014
This game came out delayed and the UI is awful. Compared to fallout 3 it doesn't stack up and I much prefer the fallout series. It was an okay try at a classic rpg but I didn't like it much. Was a $50 backer. Also the lack of tracking information and other things on the physical copy was so lazy.
Ah, sweet sweet butthurt will flow from those idiots, who blindly backed the game, just because they heared the word "Fallout" in the pitch. And in their head Fallout = Fallout 3. :lol:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Don't worry, modders will fix it.
LoversLab, here it comes!

Should wait some more for patches, not to mention Steam borking itself for some reason.
PS. anyone know how steamed people get soundtrack? Or just go to the ingame files and grab/convert files in Sounds catalog?

skyst

Augur
Anyone know what's up with the "Ranger Portrait Collection" promised in the KS rewards? Can't find any info on that, would have liked additional painted portraits during character generation.

Also, make sure to check the Ranger Center for info on the backer skill if you backed, it's pretty easy to miss and must be activated in game.

Loving the game so far - Absolute Jerk seems solid, first attack almost one shot my tanky shotgun guy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
First negative review (so only 75/100 :P ) http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/wasteland2/reviews.html

However. There's a level of roughness here that I couldn't help but be a little disappointed by after such a long development time. For every smartly written sequence with vibrant locations and characters, there's an aimless fetch quest or an overlong combat section. Oddly enough, despite the content added inWasteland 2's extra year of production, I think the game could have benefited from being cut down, edited to emphasise the best bits and get rid of some of the clutter. I like Wasteland 2, I really do, but I can't help but think it's not quite the masterpiece we were promised.

Anyone know what's up with the "Ranger Portrait Collection" promised in the KS rewards? Can't find any info on that, would have liked additional painted portraits during character generation.

Coming tomorrow according to BN.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Are there any medics around ranger central? I can't find any, only weapon shops. I really don't want to treck all the way to Highpool just for a medic. I don't have a surgeon and all my normal medic stuff is out.

Cnaiur

Augur
Regarding Strategy Informer's review: where did inXile promised that they would deliver 'a masterpiece'? Also, it would be nice to actually have that as a designer goal so you can always repeat the same process to create a masterpiece. Smooth sailing.

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
So for those who want to speed up the section in Ag Center with the central basement here's a nice tip for you:
On the computer, type "LOAD "urabutln", 8, 1" This will clear all the toxins in the room.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Last edited:

Gondolin

Arcane

RwMw
Sep 19, 2014

Yeah, I prefer the Fallout series myself, but I don't suppose RwMw would know anything about Fallout and Fallout 2.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I can VERY briefly recap the Italian review.
The guy seems to love the game.
  • You can't go more old-school than that.
  • Skill system is "perfect"
  • Combat is awesome, diverse and gripping
  • Choices matter
  • No cutscenes, no spectacular graphics and all: still it's acceptable for old school RGPs
  • Some bugs and the translation is a utter mess (not that I care, I'd play it in English)
I'm intrigued.
Might buy it.
Translation is going to be continually polished and updated over the next week or two (we can push updates separate from full patches for this I believe).

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Does anyone else have a bug with their characters portraits?

Twice so far after entering the cave with the robot at the coms tower all the portraits, except for Angela's, have changed to the one used by Pills. Also Hex's portrait isn't available at all in character creation.

Branm

Learned
Eh beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think D:OS is ugly as sin mostly due to them insisting in using a WoW color palette. Even backed the game and couldn't stand to play more then a few hours. Don't really understand all the love that game gets on the codex. Hell Underrail with the newest update is 10 times the game D:OS could of even hopped for...And thats what developed by three people?

TheGreatOne

Arcane
So how's the combat? I dont trust the opinion of game "journalists" and retards on Metacritic. God damn I hope shipping won't take too long
"What a cool portrait," I thought. "This has inspired me to create a leader character who's a seductress, sort of like Pris from Blade Runner in that doll costume."

47c2f0fa2b.png
So 3D is still pig ugly and the sky is still blue? Good to know.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The characters were designed to look good and distinctive from a far-out top-down angle... not look amazing up close. That was always the goal. :obviously:

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
The 'normal' outfits (various dusters and armors etc) look pretty good up close even. Love that balaclava look on my assault rifle guy. :) Still havent figured out how to manually allign UI elements though. :o
Also, there is lots of mouselag trying to move items in the inventory.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom