Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the only intense thing about this game is how fucking annoying some things are. elevator in highpool, quest bugs and trying to figure out what the fuck to do with the trader's wagon in the prison.
also the camera, of course.

combat has been a breeze playing on seasoned with RP characters (korean car show models -- the ones I posted some weeks ago).

CSM

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Review round-up:

Digital Spy 4/5

Wasteland 2 might be daunting to newcomers, then, but its a sequel that successfully captures the strategic depth and black humour of the original.

Brian Fargo and his team at InXile have delivered a quintessential role-playing experience with infinite possibilities.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/...-review-pc-a-200-megaton-sequel-with-endless-

PC Gamer 83/100

It took Brian Fargo 26 years to get to revisit the world of the Desert Rangers. It took a $3 million Kickstarter campaign to fund inXile’s initial development. And it took a welcome resurgence in complex computer role-playing games to make it all possible. Wasteland 2 lives up to its legacy. It’s a game that has come full circle—from inspiration for Interplay’s Fallout, to spiritual successor for that franchise’s roots. This wasteland is deep and dark and dangerous, and a great place to get lost in.

http://www.pcgamer.com/review/wasteland-2-review/2/

Pixel Dynamo 8,9/10

Overall, Wasteland 2 has stayed true to its premise, and deserves a place alongside Divinity: Original Sin as one of the best cRPGs of its era. Immersive and intriguing, the game balances risk and reward; pushing the player to the limits of their inventory and capabilities time and time again; like only the best survival games can.

Those expecting Fallout 4 will be disappointed, although they only really have their own delusional misconceptions to blame. Wasteland 2 is a truly excellent top-down, turn-based tactical RPG, just like it promised to be.

http://www.pixeldynamo.com/reviews/2014/09/19/30244/wasteland-2-pc/

The Independent 4/5

Although perhaps a little rough around the edges graphically, Wasteland 2 manages to transcend the long wait and provides a challenge with admirable scope. Those who sunk countless hours into the first game will thank inExile for staying true to the blueprint rather than losing the feel of the game in an attempt to capitalise on the latest trends.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-ponder-a-toaster-repair-ability-9743610.html

FZ 4/5

http://www.fz.se/artiklar/recension/20140919/wasteland-2/

Eurogamer Italy 8/10

Wasteland 2 may not be a looker or the most polished game around, but thanks to its rock-solid gameplay and good writing it is a great RPG and a tribute to all hardcore fans of the genre. Incidentally, it also shows to the industry what can be achieved with a budget of “just” $3 million, when that money is put to good use.

http://www.eurogamer.it/articles/2014-09-19-wasteland-2-old-school-fino-al-midollo-review-recensione

Eurogamer 8/10

These mostly minor issues aside, Wasteland 2 is a great sequel. It's very clearly made with love to be true to the original game while still learning from the games that followed. In going for something so unapologetically old-school it does sacrifice the ability to do anything new with the format, as Divinity: Original Sin managed to do in many ways; that game's flexibility does arguably make it the better of this year's two old-school, turn-based computer RPGs. This hardly matters, though, because if you like one you're almost certainly going to like the other. Both are great games that set out to stick their fingers in the same quivering part of your brain and make it throb like it's the 1990s. Choose magic, choose a shotgun, or better still, find time for both; computer RPG fans haven't had it this good in ages.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-19-wasteland-2-review

Gamalive 4,5/5

http://www.gamalive.com/test/1011-test-wasteland-2-pc-inxile-rpg.htm

CD-Action 4/5

http://www.cdaction.pl/artykul-39622/wasteland-2---recenzja-cdactionpl.html

Strategy Informer 7,5/10

I've criticised Wasteland 2 a lot, but actually I did enjoy my time with it. I grew attached to my custom Ranger team, enjoyed sticking it to the bad guys with extreme prejudice, and the game's got a charmingly self-conscious irreverence that's hard not to warm too. The radio, which buzzes periodically with messages from the wasteland's cast of miscreant weirdos, is a beautifully thematic touch. There's plenty to do, and enough options and decisions to make to justify a second playthrough. It's a perfectly enjoyable RPG with some fun combat and exploration, and a worthy sequel to the cult original.

However. There's a level of roughness here that I couldn't help but be a little disappointed by after such a long development time. For every smartly written sequence with vibrant locations and characters, there's an aimless fetch quest or an overlong combat section. Oddly enough, despite the content added in Wasteland 2's extra year of production, I think the game could have benefited from being cut down, edited to emphasise the best bits and get rid of some of the clutter. I like Wasteland 2, I really do, but I can't help but think it's not quite the masterpiece we were promised.

http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/wasteland2/reviews.html

PC World 4,5/5

But those are such minor complaints. I'm almost annoyed putting them to paper because I'd feel awful on the off chance someone read them and decided to skip Wasteland 2.

Instead, I want to be the post-nuclear version of Uncle Sam—to point, stare straight into your soul, and say "I want you for Desert Rangers." Even with its flaws, Wasteland 2 is nothing short of outstanding.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2686...role-playing-game-youve-been-waiting-for.html

MMORPG.com 8,2/10

All in all, I'm very pleased with Wasteland 2 and I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the original. But for those who never played Wasteland 1, the appeal of this sequel may be a mystery. My advice for you is to pay the $5.99 for the original game on Steam and play it to the end. Know your roots, kids! And get off my lawn!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/.../Wasteland-2-Its-All-About-the-Nostalgia.html

Rock Paper Shotgun

To end on a positive, it’s a surprisingly pleasant game, despite the inherent grimness of the setting. Violent it may be and the humour is often dark, but there’s an offbeat and jocular heart in the beast. For all its mechanical similarities to the RPGs of yesteryear, it’s that character, wit and playfulness that most capably satisfied my nostalgia and made me look forward to whatever InXile put their minds to next. I’ve criticised all of Wasteland 2′s foibles, but that’s because my relationship with it is complicated. I wish it were just a little more sharply dressed and not quite as fussy, but I do love it most of the time, although not necessarily from one hour to the next.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/09/19/wasteland-2-review/

Coriolanus

Learned
I tried to spread the skill pips thinly among everyone, I mostly skipped on diplomacy though. My first party will probably suck, hard.

0zbAXYK.png

[/spoilers]

Zeronet

Learned
Anybody else think the character models you see in torment (tides of numenera) look better?

Last edited:

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
sea, will we be able to use our current save files for that patch?
I suspect so, but it's complicated.

Semi-technical answer: we cannot account for world state issues easily. If an NPC is in a scene and the NPC instance changes, we can't update your save so the NPC is correct. But if issues corrected are just generic to scripts and not world state issues (i.e. quest X doesn't update when Y happens) it's probably something you can use a current (or very near) save with.

A lot of bugs are going to be things related to players doing weird things we didn't anticipate, more oversights than "actual" bugs. So they require new quest stages, scripts and possibly content to fix. Those ones are more variable.

Any straight-up "not working as intended" stuff will probably be no problem, though we're also doing a lot of work to make sure that our fixes don't just correct the source of bugs, but the symptoms caused too...

At worst: you might have to replay a few hours or something, but there's probably not going to be anything game-ending as a result of a patch.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
uh... just started. Finished talking to Vargas. I can't move my party...... Even selecting someone, and then left clicking on an area does noting......? help?

Cnaiur

Augur
Had the same thing in beta...Clicked myself silly, and after a minute or so it automagically worked and I was able to move.

Suchy

Arcane
For fuck's sake, the thing crashes right after getting into game, during dialogue with Vargas. WTF?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I was upset I couldn't play until Monday because InXile manually moves their paypal pledges into a database.. Cron Jobbing a curl script takes an hour too long to make apparently.
After all the bugs maybe I should wait a month for the patches instead.

Yes I am butt hurt..

:butthurt:

Last edited:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
At worst: you might have to replay a few hours or something

I might hold off for some time playing it then. I had to replay 2 hours of SRR: Dragonfall when I played it the first time, it was pretty bullshit.

On the other hand I really want to start playing this thing. HNNNNG

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Got to AG Center, may be not in the right mood or just tired, but it seems a little boring, escpecially the toxic basement stuff.

Keldryn

Arcane
The game is so oldskool, it mimics the old school internet of the 1980s.

Hmm, let's see, my C-64 that I originally played Wasteland on in 1989 had a 300 baud modem...

If Wasteland 2's download size is about 10 GB, then it would have taken that modem approximately 8.5 years of continuous downloading.

Provided that I had the nearly 27,800 floppy disks to store it on, that is.

I'm really looking forward to playing this game, but I'll probably need to wait until I have a more modern PC at home.

You know, as ugly as Wasteland 2's character art is, I like the character creation a lot better than in something like D:OS. Diversity/options > beauty, I'd prefer a low poly/res base with all the options you get in wasteland to being able to color slide the same beefy WoW model in D:OS.

Although it would be much better if they didn't remove the headdresses, fucking cunts, I did my portraits with them in mind and now my OCD makes me have to scrap them; 15 minutes in mspaint down the drain.

RIP in peace Tonka and Decanus Sirus.
Tonka_zpsa459cf96.png
Sirusportrait_zpse14e4cf9.png

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
You know, as ugly as Wasteland 2's character art is, I like the character creation a lot better than in something like D:OS. Diversity/options > beauty, I'd prefer a low poly/res base with all the options you get in wasteland to being able to color slide the same beefy WoW model in D:OS.

Although it would be much better if they didn't remove the headdresses, fucking cunts, I did my portraits with them in mind and now my OCD makes me have to scrap them; 15 minutes in mspaint down the drain.

RIP in peace Tonka and Decanus Sirus.
Tonka_zpsa459cf96.png
Sirusportrait_zpse14e4cf9.png

That portrait on the right is going to be my First PoE character.. that looks awesome.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom