Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

People News GrimoireGate: Cleve Blakemore in trademark dispute with impostor Grimoire

Weasel
If I were him I would have just called the 'superdemo' the release version, then promised 'free DLC' to his backers for the additional content he's still working on. Then the game would have been released a year ago. But it could be my short-term Saps thinking that's at fault.

Fireblade

Erudite
These OmniConnection bozos can't even spell the name that they're trying to steal (sorry, "trademark"). Look at the blue graphic near the top of the Kickstarter page:

5f1b4ccf30e6136d5ccd7220212b98b5_large.png

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Why? Why should they? Because a lunatic and his fanboys want them too?

Though them trademarking the Grimoire' IP seems useless since as mentioned ebfore it is just a common word plus there's already other games using it so it seems silly.

\CAN'T ALL THE GRIMOIRES GET ALONG!?!

Hell, who am I kidding. This is the internet. Nobody gets along.

L0LZ

Calis

Pensionado
Nevertheless, the situation is clearly unjust. As a member of the RPG Codex, I cannot help but side with the oldschool RPG over the "multiplayer FPS with MOBA elements". And besides, Cleve may be an asshole, but he's our asshole. That being said, for now all we can do is watch as a hilarious new chapter in the interminable Grimoire saga unfolds. Grab your popcorn, gentlemen, for GrimoireGate is upon us.
Wait, what? The party line is that we're supporting Cleve? I advocate new internet jurisprudence: release a game, or release your claims on the shitty name.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I can't really an argue with a Codex founder, now can I :M

Nevertheless, the situation is clearly unjust. As a member of the RPG Codex, I cannot help but side with the oldschool RPG over the "multiplayer FPS with MOBA elements". And besides, Cleve may be an asshole, but he's our asshole. That being said, for now all we can do is watch as a hilarious new chapter in the interminable Grimoire saga unfolds. Grab your popcorn, gentlemen, for GrimoireGate is upon us.
Wait, what? The party line is that we're supporting Cleve? I advocate new internet jurisprudence: release a game, or release your claims on the shitty name.

"Support" is a strong word - it implies us actually doing something. "Sympathize" might be a better fit.

Calis

Pensionado
RELEASE THE GAME OR RELEASE THE NAME, CLEVE!
You are depriving an entire moba generation of the joy of playing a game called "grimore"!
Quit holding it hostage to your wizardry whims!

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Let's hold a Codex fundraiser for MOBA-Grimoire.

Calis

Pensionado
Alternatively, we could use the money hire an army of SEO-gurus to make Google think that Cleve's game is called "Grimore".

Fireblade

Erudite
Support him or not (he has none of my money and I'm not interested in his game), it's pretty clear Cleve has been using the name for ~17 years. It's also pretty clear that the developers of this "new" Grimoire knew about it long ago (it's mentioned multiple times in the comments in their Youtube video from April 9th, the exact same day they filed for the trademark). They chose to use the name despite knowing this, because they apparently didn't care. They haven't answered why, yet. All we see is a bunch of shit-talking from their superhero narcissist lawyer who doesn't like Cleve on a personal level (imagine that). Don't need to support Cleve to see the massive scumbaggery in play there. Who even puts the name of their lawyer on their Kickstarter page? Wacky. This whole OmniConnection crew is all sorts of fucked up. Let's not even get into how much their game seems to suck.

Let's hold a Codex fundraiser for MOBA-Grimore

Or... False Grimoire gets their Kickstarter goal -mainly thanks to RPGCodex exposure- but "accidentally" renames their game to Grimore on final release. The artwork is done already. ;)

Severian Silk

If I were him I would have just called the 'superdemo' the release version, then promised 'free DLC' to his backers for the additional content he's still working on. Then the game would have been released a year ago. But it could be my short-term Saps thinking that's at fault.
Cleve would have still found a reason not to release it.

almondblight

Arcane
Support him or not (he has none of my money and I'm not interested in his game), it's pretty clear Cleve has been using the name for ~17 years. It's also pretty clear that the developers of this "new" Grimoire knew about it long ago (it's mentioned multiple times in the comments in their Youtube video from April 9th, the exact same day they filed for the trademark). They chose to use the name despite knowing this, because they apparently didn't care. They haven't answered why, yet. All we see is a bunch of shit-talking from their superhero narcissist lawyer who doesn't like Cleve on a personal level (imagine that). Don't need to support Cleve to see the massive scumbaggery in play there. Who even puts the name of their lawyer on their Kickstarter page? Wacky. This whole OmniConnection crew is all sorts of fucked up. Let's not even get into how much their game seems to suck.

Yep, pretty much this. If they think that someone can trademark "Grimoire" as the title of a game, then it should be obvious that Cleve has a common law trademark already. I'd think his indigogo campaign in 2013 would also count as engaging in commerce using the trademark (and hey look, this crackerjack videogame lawyer admits in his tweet that he knows Cleve used Grimoire in commerce before this other group trademarked the name).

Nigger

Educated
Infinitron is leeching brofists from cleve, why three threads. I want to believe.

Zeriel

Arcane
Wow, Calis is still alive.

Last of the VNArcanum survivors. Alone in the Wasteland. All others have fallen.

(Trash is dead, right?)

Unwanted

MasterBlaster

Andhaira
Andhaira

Zetor

Arcane
I had like 2 posts on the VNArcanum boards (about hacking the world map for my vapourware module), does that count as being a survivor?

Also, Cleve is bad and his supporters should feel bad. /grumpytroll

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom