Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

id Software is trolling Quake Live players

Astral Rag

Arcane
id Software explains divisive Quake Live gameplay changes
Bring Quake "one step closer to being a modern shooter".

id Software has moved to explain recent - and divisive - changes to fast-paced old-school first-person shooter Quake Live.

At QuakeCon last month the studio announced that Quake Live would release on Valve's digital platform Steam - and with the move would come a raft of gameplay changes.

The changes are an attempt to bring Quake to a wider audience, id said in a post on the Quake Live forum, "who could experience, appreciate, and fall in love with all that it has to offer."

holyqm4jnz.jpg

Changes include giving the player one single primary weapon of their choice as well as granting more freedom as to which secondary weapon the player spawns with. This "allows players to try out various weapons and become more effective on spawn which has been the key complaint of newcomers", id said.

Also, item timers have been introduced. These present themselves transparently in the world, and relay item respawn information. "The timers should adequately teach players when an item is about to respawn or when it is better to move along even without this knowledge," id said.

And an "auto-hop" mechanic has been added, which lets players hold forward and jump to build up some speed. This is in response to strafe jumping, which id said was "the final hurdle for new players to overcome".

"Because the new bunnyjumping only provides a limited amount of accel gain, and is only effective on straightaways, players will still need to learn strafe jumping over time," id stressed. "We hope that this new mechanic will allow both general movement and gameplay to become more accessible encouraging them to continue to play so that they may over time become more accustom to the finer side of Quake."

Some veteran Quake players have reacted negatively to the changes, which are accused of going too far in affecting the tried and trusted Quake gameplay. But id said they were necessary to "bring Quake one step closer to being a modern shooter".

"Quake is a masterful game of skill, often compared to Chess by its veteran players. However, with that depth has come a challenge to welcome and capture new players long enough for them to discover the joy to be found in what many consider the finest Deathmatch game ever made."

The idea, id said, is that the changes will mean more people play the game, more people who may eventually move over to Quake Live's more challenging areas, such as competitive Duel.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...explains-divisive-quake-live-gameplay-changes

:what:

Leaked footage of the upcoming BETH-id Quake 1 update:

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
GG QL, back to Q3.

Yeah, back to getting raped brutally by people who at this point probably like to grind up the game's cd-rom and shoot it straight into their blood stream.

The thing i liked about Quake Live is that it gave us chumps some chance to be competitive in our own chumpy way. That was all the game needed to be n00b friendly, to simply have n00bs play it and push the better players to different tiers.

But that's a moot point now. So what's the best way to play Quake 3 this days?

Gerrard

Arcane
You guys are retarded.

If they didn't make these changes then bringing the game to Steam would do fucking nothing, people would install it, get obliterated by people with 10+ years of experience repeatedly, close the game and uninstall.

You can still play on custom servers.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
That's bullshit. Quake Live had plenty of n00bs and good players were usually relegated to different tiers. Sure you would get the occasional troll who would make a new account just to fuck with scrubs but that didn't happen often. And that's all the game needed to be more casual friendly. To have casuals play it. It didn't need to be fucking dumped down. The game itself wasn't difficult, it was the players that made it difficult. Dumping the game down doesn't make the game easier, because veterans will still own scrubs mercilessly, it just makes the game shittier.

Euronymous

Augur
You guys are retarded.

If they didn't make these changes then bringing the game to Steam would do fucking nothing, people would install it, get obliterated by people with 10+ years of experience repeatedly, close the game and uninstall.

You can still play on custom servers.

I've been on Quake Live since 2009 and that's not how it has ever worked, before they fucked up the skill matching system it use to work. And even if you didn't go to a skill matched server you'd still get good after a few months.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I played Quake Live for six months straight when it came out and back then the matching system worked very well. I know this for a fact because i'm an above average scrub and i was able to hold my own in tier two at best. Once i pushed myself to tier three and i was beaten harder than a motherfucker, but when i got dumped to tier two again i regained my standard winning rate. All three tiers seemed very stable to me and each allowed players to be competitive according to their ability. Frankly, i don't see what else a game like this could possibly need.

Gerrard

Arcane
Items have taller pickup collision boxes, so that players will not miss items as they jump over them
But when CPMA did that it was okay.
LOLOLOL
These tears are delicious.

That's bullshit. Quake Live had plenty of n00bs.
When? In 2010? Most people who don't already already play don't even know QL is (still) a thing.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Which brings me to another point, why the fuck are they charging people for this shit? Instead of messing with an old classic, they should have made a new one instead. That, usually, is how you reach new people. Nobody who hasn't been around when Quake 3 was new is going to care all that much one way or another. They can dumb it down until it literally plays like Call of Duty and younger gamers still wouldn't care.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Last edited:

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
ah god, i forgot about that. thanks for reminding me, asshole.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/282440/discussions/0/613936673502526873/

Enemies are green
I play for 2 days and here's my problem: all enemies in game are seen as these green characters, even though in their avatars it's shown that they're different ones.
On the other hand, alies are always shown as the one same character- Ranger. Am I the only one who has this problem?

:hmmm:

:)

How to enable gamepad?

X360 gamepad not working

W8y1pjT.gif

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
With the new UT right around the corner I have exactly zero interest in Quake Live.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I don't care about Quake Live per-se, i just wanted Quake 3 with a matching system.

Ho, and what chances are there for the new UT not being shit? Doesn't seem like the decline train has any brakes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom