Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, trolling aside..

kosie99

Novice
... are there any CRPGs to look forward to?

And I don't mean indie RPGs, I know you all enjoy them, but I want some eye candy as well.

What is there? Dragon Age? Rumour is that it is undergoing major cuts to get it out in time.

Hated Oblivion and all Elder Scroll games. Could not stand the idiotic facial expressions of my character.

Are any of you playing NWN2? I am not, could not get into the story, a lot of things had put me off and I am not 100% sure what it was. I think it was just the look and feel of it. It could very well be a great game, don't know.

Thus, I am stuck in WoW, trying to get out, but there is nothing worth going to. Maybe another MMO like WarHammer may get me away from the endless grind - can only hope...

Maybe I should give Ryzom another go.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
No.
-Maybe- Dragon Age, but... eh.
Your best bet is to stop liking CRPGs. Maybe you'll then enjoy Bioshock or Mass Effect.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The only major title I am currently looking forward to is The Witcher. Action combat, but I like what I heard about the setting and the quest design, and I think the visuals are quite satisfying.

Micmu

Magister
Indie: AoD, Eschalon

Major: there are none anyway

Hated Oblivion and all Elder Scroll games. Could not stand the idiotic facial expressions of my character.
No trolling indeed. :lol:

Texas Red

Whiner
micmu said:
Major: there are none anyway

The Witcher? Although after NWN 2 and G3 I dont put up any hopes nor do I follow the development.There is also the NWN 2 inevetible expansion to look forward to. I dont know, maybe they will fix the PW shit...

"Shit until proved otherwhise after the release by unofficial reviews and opinions."

- TWD

Personally I suggest you look for some of the older games. This year I discovered Wizardry 8, Divine Divinity and Beyond Divinity. You couldnt possibly have played every well known RPG.

Also, Im looking forward to the Restoration project for KotOR 2. It is now certain that this isnt some community project that will have high expectations and fail. They have been adding the cut content for a *long* time but only very little is left, according to their site. Specifically 63 minor bugs to be fixed.

The Walkin' Dude said:
They have been adding the cut content for a *long* time but only very little is left, according to their site. Specifically 63 minor bugs to be fixed.

There isn't enough cut content in the world to fix KOTOR2's end, I've read some of the things and from what I've seen that doesn't cut it for me.

Texas Red

Whiner
sportforredneck said:
The Walkin' Dude said:
They have been adding the cut content for a *long* time but only very little is left, according to their site. Specifically 63 minor bugs to be fixed.

There isn't enough cut content in the world to fix KOTOR2's end, I've read some of the things and from what I've seen that doesn't cut it for me.

Who cares about the end?

Dhruin

Liturgist
kosie99 said:
And I don't mean indie RPGs, I know you all enjoy them, but I want some eye candy as well.

So learn to enjoy Oblivion. That eye candy is paid for by appealing to mainstream audiences.

Dpayne

Scholar
Dragon Age, as for hybrid style games I'm probably the only person on the board looking forward to Bioshock.

Jora

Arcane
Some more indies in case you might be persuaded to give them a try once they come out:

The Broken Hourglass
Dropship
Darghul
Ashes: Two Worlds Collide
Roshambo's scifi RPG
Fanmade Fallout

A_Leftist_Pig?

Scholar
Possibly Retarded
Vampires Bloodlines? Even though I never got it to work on my computer I've tried it a bit and it's quite good. It has nice graphics aswell, alot of freedom and an interesting and new sort of theme. Try it m8 .

LCJr.

Erudite
Jora said:
Some more indies in case you might be persuaded to give them a try once they come out:

The Broken Hourglass
Dropship
Darghul
Ashes: Two Worlds Collide
Roshambo's scifi RPG
Fanmade Fallout

Got any links for Roshambo's project? Thought Fanmade Fallout was in a coma?

MountainWest

Scholar
kosie99 said:
What is there? Dragon Age? Rumour is that it is undergoing major cuts to get it out in time.

What rumours? Link? DA's yet to be given a release date, as far as I know.

And does anyone have any news on Dropship?

Solomon Doone

Novice
GhanBuriGhan said:
The only major title I am currently looking forward to is The Witcher. Action combat, but I like what I heard about the setting and the quest design, and I think the visuals are quite satisfying.

And it's scripted by a rather famous Polish author.

obediah

Erudite
Solomon Doone said:
GhanBuriGhan said:

And it's scripted by a rather famous Polish author.

And most likely translated by a retard that learned english from a box of Dukes of Hazard VHS tapes.

Section8

Cipher
And most likely translated by a retard that learned english from a box of Dukes of Hazard VHS tapes.

So they should just get a native english speaker to translate instead of an American.

geminito

Liturgist
kosie99 said:
Thus, I am stuck in WoW, trying to get out, but there is nothing worth going to. Maybe another MMO like WarHammer may get me away from the endless grind - can only hope...

If you consider WoW to be an RPG, then you probably aren't interested in RPGs.

Jora

Arcane
LCJr. said:
Got any links for Roshambo's project? Thought Fanmade Fallout was in a coma?
The only publicly available info is what Rosh has told us on this board. Here are some snippets:

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... &start=100

"The game site will be opened AS the press-release, with a Pick-Your-Own-Path styled Comic as the introduction. The timing will be around major completion of the engine, leaving scripting work and tweaking, which will take a bit of time.

I don't foresee user maps for the main of the game, as it's story-intensive and the story is planned to change with the character's chosen direction. We are thinking of adding in a couple of "extra" games along with it, including a game similar to Rampage but with a spider-like Walking Eye.

We wrote the game preparing it for quick insertion into a game engine, with the elements pre-named and structured long before there was an engine. We have two engines we're looking at, one a base from Irrlicht, one a homebrew. The neat thing about having a few data structure gurus around is that we may even be able to use both engines at some point. That also helps for releasing the game onto, say, Linux and OpenBSD.

Synthis Process Modeler is quite a great find for our uses, from plotting story paths to AI logic, and I recommend it as a development tool. Flowcharts rule as writing and development supplements, and I could only imagine what some of the Ultimas could have been if they had used this instead of sketched flow paths.

will say that it is a personal goal to achieve a similar non-combat possibility as in Fallout. There will still be combat and danger, but you might have to run like hell if you don't want to fight. This means there is no definitive "big bad boss", but may be if you decide to play a certain way, only that once objectives are met and tasks are completed, the story can progress on. I personally planned to include Saint's favorite, Low-Int speech options, and those with a cult of personality can even become Mayor - even if they are Low-Int characters. How they become Mayor is something we hope gives a chuckle, as much of the game is social commentary.

I'll open a thread in the RPG forum later about it with some more basic info, details on what we intend, etc. I have some unpleasantness to take care of in the meantime, and then I hope I can pretty much stop wasting my time on it."

Rosh said:
Joe Krow said:
I don't need to be told what my goals are. I will ask around and take on whatever goals suit me. I will gather the information and resources I think I need to get it done and then succeed or fail. Goals can be simple or elaborate. There can be overarching quests; "become the Avatar" or "Naverinne" or what have you, but these objectives don't inforce any A to B to C on you. They develop naturally as you explore the game world.

As much as I dislike hype, this is exactly what I miss from the Ultima games, and having worked with a good number of the Ultima and Origin crew over the years, I can state that this is exactly what I am looking to do now with my current crew of misfits and hope to bring some of this gameplay back.

"I don't recall saying post-apocalypse as a setting (though it is a setting in #3), tactical combat was meant to be stated as turn-based tactical combat, and I do believe I added a lot more than the usual press kit filler you'd see for most other games.

don't use the words "revolutionary", "new age", "new era", or anything the hype whores care to throw around. I will state, however, that some beloved parts of games like Wizardry, with their continuing story from the ending you picked in the previous game, will be similar to what we are trying to accomplish...with the whole fucking story arcs, through a trilogy. The story is planned to play out differently, and we intend truly differently, based upon the character's actions in the game. Alliances will not be a simple different ending or a few bonus items, but instead felt throughout the progression of the game once those alliances are made. We plan on focusing upon role-playing, with the protagonist even able to take the role of the main villain, if they so desire, and not in a binary method of KoTOR and Fable. Which both had static story paths as well.

An assload of writing? Yes, it has been. The trilogy has been in writing for about three years, and unfortunately only the first 1/5 of the first game can be publicly talked about, as the mere locations of the rest of the series will be a spoiler. The game is also done when it's done, meaning that it could be four to six years before it's finished, or longer, hence why the graphics are planned to be "adequate" so we could instead focus upon the story.

I still hold the Origin beliefs, that a CRPG is an interactive story (though I don't like linear stories as a CRPG has the ability to be the ULTIMATE in pick-your-own-path adventures), and should feel that way. This silly Fed-Ex bullshit of recent CRPG lameness has got to go. I am also tired of games where NPC interaction consists of "kiss their ass as much as possible". No, fuck that, be yourself and the people will respond accordingly. If you're a brute, people should respond in suit depending upon their personality, and may like or hate you for it. For one example, in Bloodlines with the Bonds Shop. Insult the owner and he thinks it's pretty funny and likes you a bit more, but too much is too far, stuff like that. Others might like even cruder behavior. Be yourself or how you want to play your character, and it should respond to you in turn.

That is our plan, and we intend to stick with it as it's the purpose for writing the game."

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 020#306020

I'll be kind and give a bit more. Science fiction, tactical combat, and a multipathing story with contextual NPC development/interaction. Meaning that the NPCs that look up to you will often try to emulate your actions and preferences, while those who are integral to the story may act differently or set different plans into motion depending upon your actions.

Since I am bringing in several newbie artists and sound composers, the graphic quality will not be anything stellar, though we do have a number of veteran programmers to help. It may be around Spiderweb and www.ausgamedev.com in terms of graphics, as we're not putting that much focus on tweaking the graphics, but instead working on the story. When you have a story that can change depending upon the protagonist, yes it is an assload of work, but it's also a rewarding effort.

True, a player might not experience 40% of the game's assets on a single playthough, but that is what's happens when role-playing different kinds of characters is a part of planned gameplay, as replay is also highly encouraged. To give more background info, mostly, but it can also change the general story's path and resolution.

Setting-wise, I could basically give away that it's started in a domed city in the future, and from there just state that it's based upon discovery and exploration. I can tell you it's going to be hell on game help forums with the spoilers on this one, even worse than "Where can I find the water chip in Necropolis?" subject lines. Even saying where the domed city is located would be one hell of a spoiler in itself."

As for Fanmade Fallout, Dark Underlord says that they're planning to release a demo this year, and if that doesn't happen, the final game won't likely be released either.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Rumour is that it is undergoing major cuts to get it out in time."

O RLY? How can it get 'out in time' when there is no release date set? What the hell?

On topic:

Mass Effect is going to have the best role-playing of any BIO game and better than 99% of CRPGs.

DA when it ever comes out (next year most likely posisbly late this year).

AOD would be one I'd look forward to but VD doens't have the ballz to release it in stores. :cry:

Aliens RPG might be a good one.

NWN2 expansion will be a winner. I have my share of beef with NWN2; but the OC was fun enough to buy the expansion.

Monica21

Scholar
Dhruin said:
kosie99 said:

So learn to enjoy Oblivion. That eye candy is paid for by appealing to mainstream audiences.
I think the key word(s) is "RPG" and Oblivion hardly qualifies, eye candy or not.

Texas Red

Whiner
"Mass Effect is going to have the best role-playing of any BIO game and better than 99% of CRPGs."

Hehe, thank you for making me laugh. You are a true dumbfuck, arent you? Go ahead and praise it when you will be able to clearly "define" your character(who is already set in stone, as seen in every interview) with a couple of words meant as "dialogs".

Damn, Volourn, this is your stupidest post up to date.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
geminito said:
kosie99 said:

If you consider WoW to be an RPG, then you probably aren't interested in RPGs.

Your opinion stinks and is not surprising.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dhruin said:
kosie99 said:

Then why was Bloodlines both a good RPG with a great story and lots of eye-candy?
Well, given the fact that Troika is dead, there are not many good RPGs in the big industry to look forward to.

But there's one great indie Post Apoc RPG made by some Poles which has quite neat graphics too. It's called Afterfall [ www.afterfall.pl ] and looks like it's going to be the real Fallout 3.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom