Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 2 Thread - Director's Cut

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Wouldn't it be much better to have hard limits to skills? Like "this lock is lvl7, your lockpicking skill is lvl4, so fuck off, git gud and come back later - but when you do we promise it's gonna be worth it"? Instead of "try-10 second resolve-critical failure-reload-rinse'n'repeat for 10 minutes and then get some scrap and ammo"?

I don't think it would. Not to me anyway.

People make mistakes, accidents happen. That's what the RNG represents. I find that stuff to be pretty pivotal for the experience where I am not the one who's doing the job by hand (which, in a proper RPG - imo - I shouldn't anyway).

Hard thresholds often feel gamey and generic (boring) to me in that they always say either "yes" or "no", but never "maybe" and I don't find that very interesting. Of course a visible timers bring up some of that gameyness too, but to much lesser extent because the abstraction of the action looks and feels more plausible and the results more organic; and there's the intrigue of trying out your limits, which you can't with hard thresholds. I guess one could say it's the thrill of the gamble, and thinking of the characters as more than just a bunch of numbers (which they of course are in practice, but feeling less so).

To me having a low chance of success and then failing a few of times is enough to tell that I am not ready yet, or I get unlucky and the lock jams... but at least I had chance to try out how ever it goes. I just recently had a stroke of good luck with few locks that I had around 20% chance to open and 45% to critically fail, even with the loot being shitty, the success against the odds felt pretty good and compensated much of the loots' shittiness.

Morkar Left

Regarding RNG sometimes you just have bad luck. Try it for yourself with a d20 / d100 or something.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Almost completed agricultural centre.
Only thing left to do is to cure the diseased communities because of the pigeons. During my exploration I talked deliberately to researchers imprisoned by plants to make them explode. Little did I know that I could have saved them if I closed the irrigation system. Now I feel somewhat guilty.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, skills such as heal, revive, lockpicking and computers make exploring and secondary battles a lot less frustrating.

Most annoying parts have already been mentioned(weird cam which doesn't let you see what's in front of you and waiting to use skills outside of battle for example) so I don't have anything to mention. My only minor complaint is how ugly the graphics look.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
first cat litter, now fucking zeolite. devs certainly enjoy annoying the player with this shit.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
first cat litter, now fucking zeolite. devs certainly enjoy annoying the player with this shit.

Yea, apart from one town in LA I just kill everyone and everything now, saves me the trouble of listening to all their completely stupid bullshit problems. I kept trying to at least get a feel for the area for a long ass while but it's ALWAYS the same bullshit, zone after zone after zone. It's like they hired a team of 14 years old Beavis and Buttheads and told them: Hey, write all our content, it'll be great!.
So now, finally, I just don't care anymore: I zone in, kill anyone apparently leading the place, then everyone attacking me because of it, and just loot what I need.

I keep pushing ahead because I want to see a complete picture and the end but this is even worst than D:OS so far for me, and the LA area really feels unfinished and they did not even bother putting doors now, instead just using some glowy things to zone in for some reason. Every single thing out there is with level 10+ trap AND lock, everyone with 7-10 armor, forced "ambushes" to try and amp up the difficulty artificially...

Wonder if people hugging the game played more than a couple hours, or I just really don't get it.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"What they've always been good for - looking cool. Perfect implementation if you ask me."

I know of one little mini 'quest' uses cigerattes.

"Fuck me this game is ugly, like...made with an assets store ugly."

The graphics aren't 'best ever' (DOS has better mostly) but they are most certainly not ugly. Now ES games. That's some ugly shit.

"I've finished the entire prison area and there's nothing. I originally let her live and went looking for her husband but didn't find anything and when I came back she was dead. This miniquest is a bit weird, feels raw as fuck. Maybe that was the intent tho."

Dissapointing because it otherwise could have been a neat quest. Even if there was some sort of timer to.

"Wouldn't it be much better to have hard limits to skills? Like "this lock is lvl7, your lockpicking skill is lvl4, so fuck off, git gud and come back later - but when you do we promise it's gonna be worth it"? Instead of "try-10 second resolve-critical failure-reload-rinse'n'repeat for 10 minutes and then get some scrap and ammo"?"

I'm not having as much bad luck with range as others are but I tend to ageree. if 'forced' to choose, I'd go for 'hard' checks myself. Just less annoying. I have left some things behind. Even came back if I got a low chance.

"To me having a low chance of success and then failing a few of times is enough to tell that I am not ready yet, or I get unlucky and the lock jams..."

Then again, stuff liek this makes the % chance neat too so give or take...

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How much zeolite do you need to gather? I still have one bag of cat litter to grab.
50 pounds, meaning 5 bags. Three bags are in the Griffin Observatory (the quest is about getting there for it), but you need 20 more pounds which is fucking nowhere to be found.

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
How much zeolite do you need to gather? I still have one bag of cat litter to grab.
50 pounds, meaning 5 bags. Three bags are in the Griffin Observatory (the quest is about getting there for it), but you need 20 more pounds which is fucking nowhere to be found.

The crazy priest in Santa Monica has one

Ivan

Arcane
any way to respec mid game? Making my way through Canyon of Titan. Pistol is useless, and angela just left my party. FFFS

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Almost completed agricultural centre.
Only thing left to do is to cure the diseased communities because of the pigeons. During my exploration I talked deliberately to researchers imprisoned by plants to make them explode. Little did I know that I could have saved them if I closed the irrigation system. Now I feel somewhat guilty.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this game, skills such as heal, revive, lockpicking and computers make exploring and secondary battles a lot less frustrating.

Most annoying parts have already been mentioned(weird cam which doesn't let you see what's in front of you and waiting to use skills outside of battle for example) so I don't have anything to mention. My only minor complaint is how ugly the graphics look.

You can also use...
surgery to cure the vine victims. Dr. Rose, who you can recruit, has the skill necessary.

Konjad

Patron

The crazy priest in Santa Monica has one
Thanks. What about the other one?

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
I'm still waiting on my last bag of cat litter, I just happened to find that bag and was hoping it could replace the cat litter. If I happen to find the other bag I'll let you know.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
I didn't want to spend my resources on nameless researches. I only used surgery on
Sue to discover more about the man guilty for all this chaos.

Konjad

Patron
I'm still waiting on my last bag of cat litter, I just happened to find that bag and was hoping it could replace the cat litter. If I happen to find the other bag I'll let you know.
Ahhh, Iwent back to Santa Monica and actually I can't get it anymore, because I approved of what the priest was doing and shot the guy. Then everyone went away.

I guess I'll have to stop playing then... :M

Konjad

Patron
Nevermind, I've found it
in la cienega

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The gun shop owner's quest in Rail Nomads Camp is either bugged, or incorrectly explained. I can't find his lost shipment anywhere.
The crates can be found. My guys picked them up today. I use the "z" key a lot to help with highlighting the unobvious.

Konjad

Patron
DAT music when you enter the most radioactive area (with the robots, on the south) :lol: :salute: :hug:

Too bad it's not the whole song but only a part of it.

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Angela shoots the snake squeezin's salesman in cold blood. You can't even try to stop her. What a dumb bitch.

Funny thing is she missed when she did in my game. I finished him off anyway, because he was already hostile.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Save Games\Your_Savegame.xml

As simple as that.

I did this to give my party all 10 charm because fuck it I didn't know how charm worked.

jQO0GU7.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Okay, I see what people mean about weapons constantly jamming. Holy fuck, my two FAMAS have been jamming more than Bob fucking Marley. The hairier the fight, the more they jam. I'm talking two in a row, even three. Then there went the sniper rifle. Of course they take a shit on you during the hardest fights, no doubt there's some secret code there.

The thing to know is, burst fire checks for a jam on every single bullet, which is probably why some people think weapons jam a lot more than it says on the tin.

I'm still going to win the fight by the way, I opened with a grenade and those don't jam. :troll:

Wasteland 2 theme song:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom