Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Nerd Commando Guide Channel (ex-funbuilding & stuff)

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
One serving of KoTC, coming up!

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, I've played the most as the Spellsinger, Plainswalker and the Warlord (though I also had minor Overlord experience). That was a long time ago, though - the majority of it during the Chronicle 1. Almost ten years, huh. And the last time was about 4 years ago, I guess? I also haven't played anything older than c5 and, frankly, I'm not that interested - I hate what they've done with the game. I also hate what happened with the community. And the overall attitude. And everything. When I first started it, people were not used to this shit and things were pretty different, not to mention that, overall, the audience was much, much more nerdier than today.

And, while there were still clan wars & shit, things looked more friendly. Or so it seemed. And I played on the shard and, during my C1 experience, there were no donations (which was fucking huge). Because, y'know, nowadays official servers are unplayable by the same reasons they were unplayable back then - it's not a hobby, it's a fucking job at x1. And shards are unplayable now because it's just the contest of who pays more money to the admin (which is a borefest). Back then, however, no one grasped that possibility yet so we could actually have fun at x5.

And the attitude was just more relaxed overall. Like, one thing that I hate about the online gaming nowadays is the prevalence of tryhardness. Like, in dota 2 everyone is always raging (even in non-ranked matches - why the fuck, dudes, what's at the stake here?) and everywhere else it's the same. In mmorpgs it's even worse because there's this fucking pressure from above to enter the clan (I don't have anything against them though, my clan in C1 was awesome and one of our founders was the dude with the spellhowler called Alamar and shillen's knight called Sheltem, iirc) and the whole clan behaves like a fucking military. Sorry, I don't play the fucking game only to listen to the orders from some housewife or whatever. But without a clan it's an unplayable shit.

And so forth, and so forth. I dunno, maybe it's just nostalgia, but things looked better back than. Actually, one of my dreams is rather dumbfuck - I'm a staunch christian and, when I go to heaven, I totally want to play mmorpgs (not necessarily lineage first, but, since there's the eternity, we'll have enough time for everything) with the guys there. Because it's only in heaven that you can find enough tolerable people to populate a server.

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
I played in shard during c5 to c6 and that was a x3 x3 x3 IIRC. As a cryer I really needed a party to actually make it through the early to mid grind and thankfully I manged to get recruited into a fairly nice guild that wasn't demonically possesed to raid everything that moved at every possible waking hour.
I still fondly remember the carebear vs pk wars man, those were intriguing times where you could really get ganked anywhere and people did try and band togheter not to be killed by those pesky pkers.

I mostly agree on your views of clans nowadays, they are silly in their need to try and be on top of their game, I've even saw mottos like "Our goal is to strive to be the best and nicest guild in the world". Then bootcamps, recruiting sprees, TS or Ventrilo or whatever the fuck mandatory and you have to have it all on all the time and hear this insane people rant about their vision of the guild and how said other guild has done this and how that new trainee is a piece of shit and whatnot. I have less pressure on the job ffs.

Pope Amole II

Developer
If anyone recalls, I've told I'm gonna write a guide about D:OS spells & skills. And, well, I did. The thing went really slowly - first, my PC issues coincided with me beginning to work on it, second, it's a huge load of work for free (much more than my videos) and, well, I'm lazy and not exactly enthusiastic (but at the same time I can't do stuff half-assed so if I do it, I try to make it good). So I've written about a half of it and it all ground to halt.

But that's where the magic of love comes into play! My fiancee (and whom else but my fiancee could've saved me in a hard minute?) totally helped me to finish it - this week she totally left me! And I was all like: fuck my life! But then a thought sprinkled in my optimizing mind - so what would be the be the best way to fuck my life? Alcohol? Drugs? STD-ridden random sex? Suicide! No fucking way - finishing this fucking piece of shit, this fucking Divinity guide, now that's a way to fuck your life! To fuck your life like a man, I'd say. And so I totally fucking did it and here it is, a fucking 100k characters monstrosity:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=316068336

I don't know who's gonna read that, but like hell I care. The deed is done.

In the other news, I've made more D:OS videos, some small-sized ones that are aimed at the larger auditory (describing precise character builds) and one about the two lone wolves mode (attempting to self-balance D:OS somehow). I'll probably make one more small-sized tomorrows, focusing on the mono-elemental witch covens. That's as cool as it sounds. Or hot, depending on which flavor you like the most.

Finally, next funbuilding will be about full version of Wasteland 2 - considering my attitude to the game, I'm not eager to play it at all but, well, at least it suits just fine into this whole "fuck my life" thing.

And I'm mostly kidding about that, btw. It sucks, but I'm too old to be sad about this shit.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Well, that depends on what do you mean by "this" - I'm talking about, like, 3 different things in that post.

BTW, I sorta hate what they've done with the Wasteland 2 character system - it was the best part of the game and it is so-o-o "balanced" now. Actually it is not, of course, but it was better as it were.

Pope Amole II

Developer
A sudden but predictable up! A quite timely update of my beta Wasteland 2 funbuilding, now adjusted for the full version gameplay:

Don't like most of the changes, tbh. The system itself was almost perfect in the beta - just fix the luck (by making it actually influence item drops), make some skills better, balance the weapons and we're done. Instead, they've done nothing to luck, destroyed strength, made charisma an all-or-nothing affair, still haven't balanced the weapons properly and, well, at least almost all skills are useful (though at what cost, I must say).

And if you hate videos, I have a shorter text version here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=280383300

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I heard that Luck affects your weapons jamming but that it was undocumented. All my guys are low 1 Luck guys and I see weapon jams occur a lot more often and the 3-6% chance that their guns claim.

Pope Amole II

Developer
Oh cool i was watching your Wasteland 2 video earlier and I thought "I bet this guys a Codexer"

Well, not that I'm attention whoring, but I dunno why the Codex takes my videos so coldly - like, I've made a great W2 tutorial and more people outside of the Codex know about it than here. Now, I've said some flak about the game and, actually, I don't like the release version that much, but liking the game has little to do with understanding its system. They're huge and I'm not the best talker, sure, but I take certain pride in my rather unique approach to this sort of stuff.

I heard that Luck affects your weapons jamming but that it was undocumented. All my guys are low 1 Luck guys and I see weapon jams occur a lot more often and the 3-6% chance that their guns claim.

We even have a thread here on the codex about this.

Nah, it's just a rumor, same with the luck affecting the loot & the critical failure skill chance.

blamzooie

Educated
Oh cool i was watching your Wasteland 2 video earlier and I thought "I bet this guys a Codexer"

Well, not that I'm attention whoring, but I dunno why the Codex takes my videos so coldly - like, I've made a great W2 tutorial and more people outside of the Codex know about it than here. Now, I've said some flak about the game and, actually, I don't like the release version that much, but liking the game has little to do with understanding its system. They're huge and I'm not the best talker, sure, but I take certain pride in my rather unique approach to this sort of stuff.

Nah, it's just a rumor, same with the luck affecting the loot & the critical failure skill chance.
I think your videos are great.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

I watch most of your videos if I have the time to do so. But for Wasteland 2 I just read your guide on Steam, and because of it Im on the fence of starting again, with a better team, for the third time, God dammit!

Pope Amole II

Developer
I watch most of your videos if I have the time to do so. But for Wasteland 2 I just read your guide on Steam, and because of it Im on the fence of starting again, with a better team, for the third time, God dammit!

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8727

Just use this mode if you decide to do so. Saves such amount of time that it's not even funny. In the end, my biggest gripe with the Wasteland 2 is all the needless filler it contains - I mean, it's already a solid 50-60 hour game (once we cut out all the chaff), what's the point of doubling that playtime with needless clickery? Stuff like this just baffles me.

Zdzisiu

Arcane

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8727

Just use this mode if you decide to do so. Saves such amount of time that it's not even funny. In the end, my biggest gripe with the Wasteland 2 is all the needless filler it contains - I mean, it's already a solid 50-60 hour game (once we cut out all the chaff), what's the point of doubling that playtime with needless clickery? Stuff like this just baffles me.
Thanks! Looks like a very convenient mod. Nobody really enjoys looking at skill bars filling or the slow movement speed.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Nobody really enjoys looking at skill bars filling or the slow movement speed.

Ah, I see you haven't visited the Inxile's forums then. They have a quite different look on these matters.
Really? There are people who enjoy looking at skill bar slowly filling? Is this some sort of "Anticipation rising" thing? For me, skill usage should be instant, you either manage to use the skill or dont, no need to larp you character working that lock for 15 second.
And what with the slow movement speed? Do those people prefer to sightsee in Wasteland 2 or something? The game is not particularly beautiful, so there is no reason to slowly drag you asses through the locations.

But larpers will always be larpers, Mondblut save us from them!

Zetor

Arcane
The intention was probably something like trying to disarm a trap in Wiz8, where you'd get a ~5-second progress bar for each trap component you clicked, and the trap could go off at any time during the progress bar. With a proper audio cue (in W8 you had things like a spring being stretched/strained more and more heavily as the progress bar went from left to right), this could actually add quite a bit of tension. However, in WL2 the only time the progress bar adds any tension is when I'm disarming a trap with a larger-than-5% chance to crit fail -- but even if the trap goes off, my disarmer with a 400+ health pool may take ~20 damage. Way to make it anticlimactic!

Pope Amole II

Developer

Really. I've had some discussions with them during the beta, but I won't even bother with linking them here because it's a waste of time. Basically a bunch of people who think that they're the only ones who know how this game should be (better than the designers, lol) and, well, you can't take away skill timers because larping is crucial. Same is for the walking speed, btw - that why they've reintroduced the run and that's why the basic movement speed is so slow, because it would've been so unbelievable otherwise. Etc., etc.

I dunno, that's why I hate the crowdsourcing (at least the cases of it where the developers actually listen to their customers, but that's kinda the point of it, lol). In the Wasteland 2, I've yet to see one, just one fan-suggested change that actually did the game any good. Like, the people hated out the previous GUI (and mind you, that's a freaking huge hit to the development team, GUI is one of the hardest thing to do in the game, but, of course, no one cared or if anyone did, their voices drowned in the majority), but the new one is as crappy as the previous one was. People whined for all skills to be useful, but the result is just blunt, shoddy, heavy-handed forcing them down the player's throat. Having to disarm something every five steps, what does it actually add to the game? And hey, the game would've only benefited if there was some lightly used skills, which you weren't forced to max out ASAP for them to be useful. Would've greatly helped those 1 int characters, y'know.

And what makes the problem worse is that the majority of interested people haven't actually followed the game's development and by the very obvious reasons - people love to be surprised by the games and, well, if you want to be surprised you don't spoiler yourself. So, as usual (not only in the game development, but in the world), it was a radical yet extremely vocal minority that grabbed the reins. Some freaking good came of that. I dunno, maybe that all sounds dickish, but I'm a staunch believer that a professional must do professional's job. Everybody believes he can make an awesome scenarios, for example, yet only a couple of people in the world actually can do that. And it's one thing if the crowd advices went, for example, like: "Hey, bros, I'm an ex-marine and the tactical disposition of enemies in this valley is fucking senseless, here's a better way". But no, instead it's an extremely caustic "If you don't like the way I'm imagining the game, go play some Call of Duty, motherfucker". "These games are oldschool, they're not for everybody". Shit like this.

I understand that there's PR purposes and stuff and, for their sake, Fargo & co must endure and do all that crap. But then, they're also guilty of that - if they were preaching not the "magical Wasteland/Fallout oldschool bonanza", but said from the very start "we have a very detailed plan, we're doing this, that and this, here's our design doc" (after all, if the backers are supposed to be investors, it's only right that they see the design doc - who in the hell would invest otherwise?), then there would be no place for this crap. But it is as it is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom