Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Bioware Rumors

Kotario

Liturgist
From the one of the most reputable sources around, a rumor column in a console rag ("Rumor Mill" from Electronic Gaming Monthly, to be precise): three rumors about what Bioware is currently developing. I'll let this eloquent masterpiece of investigative journalism speak for itself:
zepicinthemakingzi2.jpg

Here is the full page.

Only some untrustworthy information on what was mostly known previously, but I thought the rumors might be of some minor interest.

Dpayne

Scholar
I didn't think a rumor column was supposed to be the equivalent of wiping your asswith the page and then printing it.

Dpayne

Scholar
While I know this thing mean about as much as the vomit that hit the back of my throat when I read it.

A KOTOR mmo would be fucking awful.

And a Baldur's Gate DS game would be insipid.

Texas Red

Whiner
KotOR MMO, eh? Why exactly would it be KotOR? That would, like, the most blatant title useage for money leeching I have ever seen.

BG for DS? What the hell is DS, anyway? Some kind of a handheld? Never much cared for these to even find out what precisely they are. Anyway, it most surely wouldnt be BG 3. It would, of course, use the name only for money cow porpuses. It will probably have absolutely nothing to do with BGs.

If these rumours have some grain of truth in them, then damn... Bioware is truly Biowhore, far worse that Bethesda. GOOD LORD, Oblivion was *not* the Great Evil! The battle is still ahead! Bethesda looks like a saint in comparisons. Dumbed down Oblivion released for both PC and consoles with PCs having a few bonuses and Fallout 3, which will surely be out for the PCs, COMPARED to the greedy shit Biowhore is pulling is... well, Bethesda sounds better.

The Walkin' Dude said:
BG for DS? What the hell is DS, anyway?
It is a handheld, it's asian, it has dual screens, one of them you can fondle and it does stuff on screen.

They've already announced an MMO and a DS game that they're doing, they just haven't said what they are. I doubt they'll use properties though, since they've seem to have said that they're going for their own IPs right now. Basically that's all waste of time horse shit.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Could be true. A lot of rumors point to a Star Wars game, but it was assumed that it would be SWG2 (Bio was looking for developers with SWG experience). I believe it's also been confirmed that it's a sci-fi game, so most likely it's either SWG2 or KOTOR MMOG.

Monica21

Scholar
"Oh yeah, and the DS game their making...."

Why can't people who get paid to write for a living figure out how to use there, their, and they're correctly? A new BG does interest me though, if it actually happens. But I'll freely admit that I have no idea what a DS game is.

Micmu

Magister
Monica21 said:
But I'll freely admit that I have no idea what a DS game is.
A game for Nintendo DS handheld console.

Well, at least they won't waste their budget on graphics and various gimmicks so there will be more time and money for actual content. It might be a good RPG. *gasp* Or Dark Alliance.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Monica said:
Why can't people who get paid to write for a living figure out how to use there, their, and they're correctly?
"Why are you trying to read this word? What are you, a fag?"
Idiocracy

hoochimama

Liturgist
SWG2 being set in the KOTOR age is one way to get rid of all the movie nerds bitching about the game not being true to canon etc(all the jedi drama), seems like the logical thing to do for a star wars mmo.

Dpayne

Scholar
Honestly, why would anyone want to play a Star Wars mmo that required ridiculous work to be a jedi. Yeah I know the argument, "There weren't that many! Ennngh it was hard to be a jedi ennngh!" Well fuck that, it's a game. If I want to make a jedi in it I shouldn't have to fucking sell my soul because frankly if I just wanted to shoot fucking lasers (BLASTERS!) there are a million other games out there I could play. Yeah I know there are other games where you can be a jedi, but there aren't other mmos where you can be a jedi (why don't we fucking learn something from WoW other gaming companies).

Well it doesn't matter anyway because I fucking hate mmos, but still.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Vault Dweller said:
Monica said:
Why can't people who get paid to write for a living figure out how to use there, their, and they're correctly?
"Why are you trying to read this word? What are you, a fag?"
Idiocracy

I got myself that movie when you mentioned it earlier in some other thread.
Pure genius.

"Water? You mean the stuff they use in toilets?"

I liked what they did to Starbucks, though.

sabishii

Arbiter
First of all, why are they going to make an MMORPG before the story behind KotOR isn't even done yet (where the fuck did Revan, and then the Exile, go)?

Secondly, how is anybody going to be a Jedi when the Exile/I killed the last surviving ones and then left known space?

Ladonna

Arcane
A DS Baldurs gate may have turned based combat.....

If it is an RPG.

As for the Starwars online game, I was under the impression that such a beast already exists and it isn't doing overly well.

Dpayne

Scholar
Maybe they want to take a stab at making one that doesn't suck ass.

obediah

Erudite
Ladonna said:
A DS Baldurs gate may have turned based combat.....

If it is an RPG.

True, but they'll probably adopt that 'tap the screen or a button at the right time to increase damage or dodge' that seems to be all the rage among the kids these days.

Speaking of, I've been playing Eragon for the GBA, and it's actually kind of interesting. It's a standard jrpg random encounter level-grind, but it has some interesting things going on.

* For each character you can increase a focus when they level up (magic, herb, melee, defense, ranged) which affects how your stats increase and offers special skills. Most characters can pick from all of these, so you have some freedom designing a party.

* Casting magic uses your own hp, and raising your magic focus reduces the amount used.

* Each character has 2-5 accounts and as you level up melee or ranged you unlock new attack combos. You have to learn a sequences (e.g. ABAA) but timing doesn't matter).

* It does have a dodge/block mechanic, but success and degree of success seems to be much more about in game skills than accurate button pressing.

* Each weapon or piece of armor can take 1-3 upgrades that you collect through the game. Early on it's just picking the upgrades with the biggest bonus, but later on there are some interesting choices.

Ladonna

Arcane
At the very least, you'd think they'd employ a poofreader

:lol:

So this game is going to be mainly focused towards the gay community?

My nephew has the Eragon game Obediah, though I didn't bother checking it out due to the name (The book was not too bad). Its funny how some totally idiotic sounding games on these consoles can be some of the best. It defies PC logic.

Texas Red

Whiner
Dpayne said:
Honestly, why would anyone want to play a Star Wars mmo that required ridiculous work to be a jedi. Yeah I know the argument, "There weren't that many! Ennngh it was hard to be a jedi ennngh!" Well fuck that, it's a game. If I want to make a jedi in it I shouldn't have to fucking sell my soul because frankly if I just wanted to shoot fucking lasers (BLASTERS!) there are a million other games out there I could play. Yeah I know there are other games where you can be a jedi, but there aren't other mmos where you can be a jedi (why don't we fucking learn something from WoW other gaming companies).

Well it doesn't matter anyway because I fucking hate mmos, but still.

Theres the genius behind it. You will become addicted to the game trying to become a jedi and thus have various perks and prestige by doing so. The whole MMOGs being tiny social models and all... Becoming a jedi - nobility and superiority.

Ladonna said:
(The book was not too bad)

:shock: You just lost coolness points.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"A DS Baldurs gate may have turned based combat....."

Doubtful. BIO's been quite frank when it comes to NOT making full fledge turn base games.

As for the 'rumours'. L0LLERZ!

Jason

chasing a bee
A DS Baldurs gate may have turned based combat
There already is a BG for the GBA and it's a full-on, real-time, button-mashing hack n slash. Don't expect a DS version to be any different.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom