Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect drama - teh graphikz r dumbed down!

Jason

chasing a bee
I hopes someone get fire over these travesty.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
So the 'mistake' is showing what the game actually looks like, and he assures us they will never make this mistake again. Interesting.

Even more interesting is that the people talking about dumbing down...have been dumbed down.

suibhne

Erudite
Volourn said:
Anywyas, thw whiny bullshit baout the pics was stupid. They looked fine. Damn retarded graphic whores looking for 'perfection'. Fuck 'em.

^^ +1

One reason consoles lead to overemphasis on graphical wonderment is that the console arms race is predicated almost entirely on such comparisons across platforms. I sometimes harbor a deep, secret hope that the success of stuff like fl0w will lead to less glaring bullshit regard graphics, but I can't really summon the optimism to believe that in any sustained fashion. Fuck 'em all, and the next-gen horsies they rode in on.

Sovy Kurosei

Erudite
What was wrong with the "bad" screenshots. I didn't really notice much of a difference in quality.

Volourn said:
Anywyas, thw whiny bullshit baout the pics was stupid. They looked fine. Damn retarded graphic whores looking for 'perfection'. Fuck 'em.
They bitch excessively about the new video as well, yet I thought the faces looked much more realistic than the pointy ass faces of the past.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Jim Kata said:
So the 'mistake' is showing what the game actually looks like, and he assures us they will never make this mistake again. Interesting.

Even more interesting is that the people talking about dumbing down...have been dumbed down.

I begin to ask myself if they actually can be dumbed down anymore, seeing the current status of dumbness. But, I've seen Idiocracy, and thus know that everything is possible.

sabishii

Arbiter
And now the big question for you native speakers out there: Is it "has made him"? or "have made him"? The former gives 939000 google-hits, the latter 974000 hits. "It have made him" gets 21200 hits while "It has made him" gets 31600 hits. I guess there's some parameter I'm not counting.
That's because "It have made them" is usually in the phrase "Would it have made them."

The saddest thing is that everyone is willing to cause a massive shitstorm over things like graphics but when a company announces a large cut of content, people react far more mildly.

And by people....I mean the general gaming public.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Not in this case.
In all cases. Jimbob makes some reference to pagan languages but here in civilized parts we do things right.

A key problem with quotation marks is which other marks of punctuation go inside the closing quotation mark(s) and which belong outside. In the United States, most stylebooks and most editors follow these rules: periods and commas belong inside, colons and semicolons outside. Other marks—question mark, dash, and exclamation point, for example—go inside when they belong with the quoted material, outside when they belong to the main sentence. British editorial conventions differ.
I would also like to give everyone who disagreed with me in the thread about whether question marks go inside the quotation marks or not a big kiss my ass with a side of neener neener.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
kingcomrade said:
In all cases. Jimbob makes some reference to pagan languages but here in civilized parts we do things right.

Old Norse is an amazing language, though.
And Latin, too.

MountainWest

Scholar
kingcomrade said:
I would also like to give everyone who disagreed with me in the thread about whether question marks go inside the quotation marks or not a big kiss my ass with a side of neener neener.

The problem was, and still is, that you corrected him on an already correct sentence.

MountainWest

Scholar
Jim Kata said:
kc is technically right, but that's a stupid rule that I never follow.

He's technically right when it comes to American English. Not when it comes to British English, thus KC was wrong when he corrected whoever wrote the punctutation outside the exclamation point.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
When it comes to grammar there is no such thing as just being technically right. In any case my correction was intended as part of the running joke but there's always someone wanting to masturbate onto the Internets.

aries202

Erudite
Personaly I'd take a little graphics any day ;) over the glitz and glossy graphics that Oblivion has. I much prefer the dev. team spent time on making interestering quests & storylines etc. than trying to polish teh GRAPHICS OMG!!! (you know what I mean, ;) I think ;) ) to an extent where it hurts your eyes.

Also, VD, this is really really old news, but sadly relevant, since many people apparently did complain about the graphics & how the game looked. And frankly, when I looked at screenshot # 1, which was the first graphics released, & screenshot # 2, I actually couldn't see that much of difference between them, but that could maybe just be because my glasses need to get cleaned ;) :D

Anyway, it made me feel kind of sad :( that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline. But so is the world, I guess...

As for the question mark and the exclamation point, could this codex get even nerdier ;) :D

Castanova

Prophet
Well, the three "crappy" screenshots really did look worse than what they had been showing previously. But, to anyone who's actually created a digital image before, it was clear that it was just a compression issue. I, for one, want those Mass Effect graphics to look as good as possible since it's unlikely the gameplay itself is going to make up for any slack.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You might see this when you type it, Aries:

aries202 said:
Personaly I'd take a little graphics any day ;) over the glitz and glossy graphics that Oblivion has. I much prefer the dev. team spent time on making interestering quests & storylines etc. than trying to polish teh GRAPHICS OMG!!! (you know what I mean, ;) I think ;) :) to an extent where it hurts your eyes.

Also, VD, this is really really old news, but sadly relevant, since many people apparently did complain about the graphics & how the game looked. And frankly, when I looked at screenshot # 1, which was the first graphics released, & screenshot # 2, I actually couldn't see that much of difference between them, but that could maybe just be because my glasses need to get cleaned ;) :D

Anyway, it made me feel kind of sad :( that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline. But so is the world, I guess...

As for the question mark and the exclamation point, could this codex get even nerdier ;) :D

But when I try to read it, I glance over it and only see:
aries202 said:

Hence, I am unable to read it.

aries202 said:
that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline.
Probably due to the fact that "Save the galaxy from evil robots" is a mind numbing choice as a plot.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
sportforredneck said:
aries202 said:
that so many people apparently do care more about the visuals of the game, ME, than the underlying storyline.
Probably due to the fact that "Save the galaxy from evil robots" is a mind numbing choice as a plot.

It's even worse, because the robots are an ancient evil. And only Shepard knows about them OMGZ!!!

JarlFrank said:
It's even worse, because the robots are an ancient evil. And only Shepard knows about them OMGZ!!!
Not only that, but it's a myth that has long been told, and no one believes him that it's true.

Inziladun

Magister
Oh great, all the ex-TES fanboys (and I say ex, because Oblivion is old news) are now onto the next big thing and using a term that was jammed down their fucking throats for the how many days Oblivion held their attention. I suppose "dumbed down" is going to become the universal term to express displeasure in something now.

Here's a thread discussing the graphix! http://forums.gametrailers.com/showthread.php?t=82720

i cant fucking wait for mass effect!
It looks great!
Very nice... i cant wait for this game..
wow that game is gonna rock
i cant wait for this game and couldnt care less about the quality of screenshots, but i would like to see more without the commander
wow cant wait for its release
that game looks awesome
Now thats what I call Mass Effect.
I think the new screenshots are amzing. the screenshots look so real.
I think it looks amazing, and if people say that these shots are bad, I have no idea how they can possibly enjoy anything.
nice pics hope for the release date
this game is gona be so sweet.
Im buying a 360 just for this game
Looks like Mass Effect will be the best thing since sliced bread, guys!

Inziladun said:
I suppose "dumbed down" is going to become the universal term to express displeasure in something now.
Let me guess, not dumbed down, but extremely dumbed down.

I prefer this post:

"Maybe it's just me but, looking at this screenshot I got a feeling my responses to this VI guy would've been exactly the same....seriously."

They don't seem to understand that in games, most things you can say leads to the same responses, even if you're an asshole, you'll just be bitched at first, and then they go on to tell you what you want.

Jim Kata

Arbiter
kingcomrade said:
When it comes to grammar there is no such thing as just being technically right. In any case my correction was intended as part of the running joke but there's always someone wanting to masturbate onto the Internets.

no

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom