Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info The Witchest blog of them all

suibhne

Erudite
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

With its fifth entry hitting the presses yesterday, this seems as good a time as any to point out <a href="http://blogs.ign.com/The_Witcher/">The Witcher blog</a> over at <a href="http://www.ign.com/">IGN</a>. Entries have focused mostly on the business and PR end of things, not on the actual game design, but it's an interesting first-person account of a small development team scrabbling to build an ambitious project from design doc to market. CD Projekt entered development with little idea of the scale of what they were trying to accomplish, but they've been successful enough to receive extraordinary media attention (for a small Eastern European project based on an IP not even published in English) and eventually <a href="http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=17235">sign with a major North American publisher</a>.
<br>
<br>
I'm not holding my breath about Atari's handling of The Witcher, but the game's development history is impressive and it's still on my shortlist for 2007.
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.ign.com/">IGN</A>

"including ones about the first version of the combat system, which was too complicated."

Can combat be too complicated?

suibhne

Erudite
sportforredneck said:
"including ones about the first version of the combat system, which was too complicated."

Can combat be too complicated?

When it's real-time and gesture-based, I suspect so, yes.

The_Pope

Scholar
I'd say it's more a matter of the interface being too complicated.

Originally Posted by May GFW's Witcher preview
Having grasped the basics, Iwanicki thinks I'm ready for the big leagues. "Now for the mature content," he says. "In the game, you can pick up girls. I'm going to show you how to find one, and you can go to bed with her." Um... OK. We hit the village and quickly find a milkmaid willing to chat. After being impressed with a bouquet of flowers, the maid leads Geralt off the screen to do the deed. In return, I am rewarded a playing card and a painting of the milkmaid topless and pouring a ladle of milk over her bare breasts. "Throughout the whole game, when you pick up a girl and go to bed with her, you receive a card like this," says Iwanicki. We observe an awkward silence.

Deleted member 7219

'not even published in English'.

You're wrong. It's being released in the UK too, which surprisingly enough speaks English! Yeah I know, I too thought only America spoke English. And apparently some other countries in Europe get English versions, like Holland, Sweden etc.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Matt7895 said:
'not even published in English'.

You're wrong. It's being released in the UK too, which surprisingly enough speaks English! Yeah I know, I too thought only America spoke English. And apparently some other countries in Europe get English versions, like Holland, Sweden etc.

"not even published in English"= suibhne thinks it hasn't been published in English yet.
"not even published in English"!= suibhne thinks it will never be published in English.

See the difference? While i won't bother to look whether it has been published in English yet or not, you yourself are saying that it is being published, not that it has been published.
So either you meant to say:"It has been published in the UK too..." thus correcting suibhne, but exhibiting really bad grammar or you meant exactly what you said and were simply being stupid for the sake of it...

Julio

Scholar
Legion said:
Originally Posted by May GFW's Witcher preview
Having grasped the basics, Iwanicki thinks I'm ready for the big leagues. "Now for the mature content," he says. "In the game, you can pick up girls. I'm going to show you how to find one, and you can go to bed with her." Um... OK. We hit the village and quickly find a milkmaid willing to chat. After being impressed with a bouquet of flowers, the maid leads Geralt off the screen to do the deed. In return, I am rewarded a playing card and a painting of the milkmaid topless and pouring a ladle of milk over her bare breasts. "Throughout the whole game, when you pick up a girl and go to bed with her, you receive a card like this," says Iwanicki. We observe an awkward silence.

:cool:

Ladonna

Arcane
Wonderful.....

Im sure several codexers will be thrilled with their Milkmaid bonking exploits. Of course it will only be for collecting the cards :roll:

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
We hit the village and quickly find a milkmaid willing to chat. After being impressed with a bouquet of flowers, the maid leads Geralt off the screen to do the deed.

If only it were that easy in real life to get sex from a conscious woman…

Ladonna

Arcane

But then she would be a slut, no? Can't have it both ways. After all, if you knew your future wife had lain with everyone who had a chat with her and gave her some flowers, would you still be interested in marrying her?

Anyway, back on topic....

Why are CD Project going with Atari? I always thought they were a publisher themselves?

Globbi

Augur
CDP publishes games in Poland, Czech and Slovakia. They needed a publisher for the rest of the world.

Claw said:
I long for an age when "mature" doesn't mean "sex" in games.

I have no problem at all with in-game sex, as long as its done tastefully (e.g. not like in God of War).

Fez

Erudite
Ladonna said:

But then she would be a slut, no? Can't have it both ways. After all, if you knew your future wife had lain with everyone who had a chat with her and gave her some flowers, would you still be interested in marrying her?

That only means they've had more practice to get it right. Who said anything about marrying them? vazquez595654 has shown us the light, you only need to say that to get the precious trading card. It's a great little sub game. The FF games had their own card and trading games, this one pushes the boundaries. Pokéwoman - Gotta tap 'em all!

I bet there will be quite a few folks splashing some "milk" on those bare milkmaid's breasts upon release.

Globbi

Augur
Legion said:
I have no problem at all with in-game sex, as long as its done tastefully (e.g. not like in God of War).

I don't know how was it done in God of War but I don't consider fucking new met girls everywhere to get some stupid cards tastefully no matter how will it be implemented :P And it definitely is not mature.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Globbi said:
Legion said:

I don't know how was it done in God of War but I don't consider fucking new met girls everywhere to get some stupid cards tastefully no matter how will it be implemented :P And it definitely is not mature.

LOL. mister check teh rating on da boxx!!!

MountainWest

Scholar
That card game is bound to give them a deduction of the final score at most bigger review sites. Partially because the sites have to be politically correct or face the wrath of the unfucked ugly, but also because such a feature kind of deserves it (unless there's a valid point to it that's not told in the article). I know I'd be embarassed to play a game that featured a card collection of men showing their dicks...

Inziladun

Magister
God of War has topless women that you can have sex with, and the all the mainstream sites still give it good scores. Your logic is flawed.

The industry needs more games like God Of War to show you don't have to aim your games at 5 year-olds to get good sales (and the 5 year-olds will probably still buy it anyway)

Globbi said:
Legion said:

As silly as the card game in Witcher may sound, God of War's sex mini-game that featured random button mashing to get blood points was even more tasteless. I'll be stacking up on the nudie cards for sure!

By the way, the game is currently slated for a PC only, so any Xbox 360 achievements are out of the question.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom